• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

Terraria Spriting Carnival 2

Bryce's Games

Skeletron Prime
Hey wassup
If you want to make the blade look silvery, definitely go for the blue tinting. Adding yellow would make it look like gold, which could look good too (But be careful because yellow is a tricky shade to work with). You can also change the outline a bit, to give some more details to the blade. Also be careful when you change the thickness of the blade (The part where the blade suddenly becomes thinner looks weird); Try using more shades and colors (right now the whole sword is only grey, make the hilt or the handle be some other color) And try to have a stronger shading, and use it on your favor to add more details to the sprite.

Other than that, just do some tweaking here and there and it'll look pretty good.

Here, I took the sprite and edited it:

The sword might look completely different now, but all I did was change the shading/colors and mess around with the outlines (There's also the animated glow but that doesn't matter). That's because the whole shading part is the hardest when making pixelart, and it's the most important thing to have your sprites looking good.
There's this tutorial about shading and choosing colors that I made, which might be pretty helpful for ya.

Sorry for the wall of text
Actually, that wall of text was all quite helpful. I will definitely use your tutorial as well as balduran's. I'm relatively new to pixel art, so, I just gotta keep practicing. I agree with the yellow thing. When you go too dark it looks like diarrhea. Anyways, thanks!

Luke Oliveem

Terrarian
This is my first sprite ever created. Is it good or bad? I made a basic sword with simple shading.
It looks pretty good for a first sprite!
Though it should have a stronger shading (more contrast between the tones) And it would look better if the black section of the blade and the outlines had a little hint of some other color (right now they're completely grayscale, and it usually doesn't look good on pixelart.)

Jump

Skeletron Prime
Over did shading a bit. Also not faded into the darkest shade at all.
It looks pretty good for a first sprite!
Though it should have a stronger shading (more contrast between the tones) And it would look better if the black section of the blade and the outlines had a little hint of some other color (right now they're completely grayscale, and it usually doesn't look good on pixelart.)
Thanks, and I appreciate your opinions. I don't know how to reduce the shading. I simply made a part of the sword blacker than any color, then smudged it. By looking at other sprites made by other people, the main color and the shading has a big difference, so hopefully I will make mine too.

@GIRGHGH Could you specify where I overdid the shading? I'll do my best to make it better.

GIRGHGH

Duke Fishron
Thanks, and I appreciate your opinions. I don't know how to reduce the shading. I simply made a part of the sword blacker than any color, then smudged it. By looking at other sprites made by other people, the main color and the shading has a big difference, so hopefully I will make mine too.

@GIRGHGH Could you specify where I overdid the shading? I'll do my best to make it better.
I thought you only did the blade.

Jump

Skeletron Prime
I thought you only did the blade.
I shaded the blade and cross-guard, but not the handle.

v2
I shaded all of the parts. I had no idea how to shade black, so I changed it to gray instead. It looks like a beam sword now tho. Is it good or bad?

Bryce's Games

Skeletron Prime
I shaded the blade and cross-guard, but not the handle.

v2
I shaded all of the parts. I had no idea how to shade black, so I changed it to gray instead. It looks like a beam sword now tho. Is it good or bad?
It's pretty good now, just try to shade the hand guards a little more, and instead of grey, use a solid color for the blade. Just variants of blue or grey, not both.
Also, if anyone cares, I edited the sword I made:
heaven blade.png

But yeah, @Jump , keep working, it looks fairly good.

Pinelord

Official Terrarian
Couple I swords I made just 'cuz. Both are from Skyrim, but I haven't played enough to know what they are, just took reference screenshots during loading sequences.

Daedric sword?
View attachment 54511 View attachment 54512 Doesn't look quite evil enough.

Elvin Blade?
View attachment 54513 View attachment 54514 Not too happy with the end of the blade.
They kinda dull to me. Otherwise though I think they're pretty cool.

In other news, I got bored and made a few sprites.
Chaos Sword.png
Viking Ship.png
Musician.gif
Saxophone.png
Trombone.png
War Horn.png
Bagpipe.png
Green Violin.png

Top Bottom