Pixel Art Terraria Spriting Carnival 2

thank you for the nice comments! :)
also it's ok if you think the color palette is bad, but i'm a really big fan of light blue, which is why i used it, and the purple i personally think it goes good with the blue.
also i was just wondering, am i allowed to use parts of the sprites you guys make? i don't want to use the whole thing, but parts of it, so i can get a better understanding of how to make the shading good, as that's really the only thing i'm not 100% good with
and does anyone have good color palette suggestions? i'm not really to good with coming up with color palettes soo...
Very late reply but I wanted to give some pointers regarding palettes... wall of text INCOMING

Use hue shifting (look at the top of this page where I have some palttes. They aren't perfect examples so maybe have a look around). Hue shifting just looks better than a non-hueshifted sprite. IDK why because I know nothing about colour theory. If you are unsure how to do hueshifting then look up a tutorial, will save your life. If you still dont know then looking at examples and copying them (for the sake of learning ofc) may help.

For two tone palettes use colours that complement each other well. Often this will be colours than are seperated by only a few steps. For example red and yellow look good togetherbecause:
RED --> ORANGE --> YELLOW
On the other hand red and green will look like :red: together because they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Unless the sprite is done very well. A few pages back on this thread someone (Giga iirc) made a gun with a green and orange palette that still looks pretty good. That light blue-and-purple sword you have might look better with a darker blue but IDRK.

Know when to have higher/lower contrast. Basically contrast refers to the differenxe between the brightest coloir on the palette and the other colours. Brighter highlights make things look shiny because more light is beimg reflected. Less bright highlights are good for (very) flat shapes or non-shiny materials like plastic and cloth. Adding bright highlights and dark shadows onto a blade makes it look sharper.

Generally, colours with lower saturation look a bit more professional. But only slightly less (very slightly) otherwise the sprite may end up looking foggy and unclear. Probably you shouldn't give this tip much thought and maybe I shouldn't have typed it. Aaarhhh just ignore

Don't use greyscale except for drafts. This includes black and white too. Black outlines usually make it look like less effort was put into the palette. Its the same with white highlights. Instead of these colours use very desaturated versions of the sprite's main colour/s.

I hope I helped :D also I hope that some experienced spriter isn't gonna come alomg and say something like, "What? No." and proceed to put my advice to shame.

Very late reply but I wanted to give some pointers regarding palettes... wall of text INCOMING

Use hue shifting (look at the top of this page where I have some palttes. They aren't perfect examples so maybe have a look around). Hue shifting just looks better than a non-hueshifted sprite. IDK why because I know nothing about colour theory. If you are unsure how to do hueshifting then look up a tutorial, will save your life. If you still dont know then looking at examples and copying them (for the sake of learning ofc) may help.

For two tone palettes use colours that complement each other well. Often this will be colours than are seperated by only a few steps. For example red and yellow look good togetherbecause:
RED --> ORANGE --> YELLOW
On the other hand red and green will look like :red: together because they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Unless the sprite is done very well. A few pages back on this thread someone (Giga iirc) made a gun with a green and orange palette that still looks pretty good. That light blue-and-purple sword you have might look better with a darker blue but IDRK.

Know when to have higher/lower contrast. Basically contrast refers to the differenxe between the brightest coloir on the palette and the other colours. Brighter highlights make things look shiny because more light is beimg reflected. Less bright highlights are good for (very) flat shapes or non-shiny materials like plastic and cloth. Adding bright highlights and dark shadows onto a blade makes it look sharper.

Generally, colours with lower saturation look a bit more professional. But only slightly less (very slightly) otherwise the sprite may end up looking foggy and unclear. Probably you shouldn't give this tip much thought and maybe I shouldn't have typed it. Aaarhhh just ignore

Don't use greyscale except for drafts. This includes black and white too. Black outlines usually make it look like less effort was put into the palette. Its the same with white highlights. Instead of these colours use very desaturated versions of the sprite's main colour/s.

I hope I helped :D also I hope that some experienced spriter isn't gonna come alomg and say something like, "What? No." and proceed to put my advice to shame.
I agree with everything here except the saturation bit. The colors you choose don’t really matter, but what does matter is how you control the saturation and contrast of the palette as a whole. If anything high saturation looks better on the eye, but it can be a bit harder to shade well for beginners so they often turn towards muddier, less saturated colors

I noticed that Calamity doesn't have a slime counterpart for Exodium, so I made an Exo Slime to fill that gap!

Exo Slime.png

So, I got bored and made music boxes for all of the Calamity songs missing a music box (more coming soon, I just did the ones implemented in-game first. I'll update this when more are done)

Brimstone Crag Off.png
Brimstone Crag On.png
The Step Below Hell (Brimstone Crags)
Brimstone Elemental Off.png
Brimstone Elemental On.png
Left Alone (Brimstone Elemental)
??? Off.png
??? On.png
Siren's Call (???)
Siren Off.png
Siren On.png
Siren's War Cry (The Siren)
Leviathan Off.png
Leviathan On.png
Forbidden Lullaby (The Leviathan)
Abyss 3 Off.png
Abyss 3 On.png
R'LYEH (Abyss Layer 3)
Abyss 4 Off.png
Abyss 4 On.png
void (Abyss Layer 4)
Astrum Deus Off.png
Astrum Deus On.png
Pest of the Cosmos (Astrum Deus)
Lunatic Cultist Off.png
Lunatic Cultist On.png
You Shall Know No More (Lunatic Cultist)
Doggo 2 Off.png
Doggo 2 On.png
Universal Collapse (Devourer of Gods Phase 2)
Bumblebirb Off.png
Bumblebirb On.png
Murderswarm (Bumblebirb)
Yharon 1 Off.png
Yharon 1 On.png
Infernal Catharsis (Yharon Phase 1 Pre-Mothron)
Yharon 2 Off.png
Yharon 2 On.png
Infernal Catharsis Rebirth (Yharon Phase 2 Post-Mothron)
Yharon 3 Off.png
Yharon 3 On.png
Roar of the Jungle Dragon (Yharon Phase 2)
Supreme Calamitas Off.png
Supreme Calamitas On.png
Stained, Brutal Calamity (Supreme Calamitas)

Last edited:
AND BECAUSE IT CAME INTO MY MIND I MADE AN ICE VERSION OF IT. (ALSO MADE THE HANDLES LONGER)View attachment 213872
Few things to point out

One, you might want to look at some tutorials. There’s a good one here which I can grab a link to if you need it (I’m currently on mobile so it’s a bit tricky to switch pages). Your sprite has all the very common mistakes beginners make, and it’s a good idea to fix those before they become habits.

Two, maybe using max size bright red caps lock text isn’t the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom