PC Terraria starts in wrong resolution

Ninjin

Terrarian
I have had an issue with my Terraria since a few weeks now.
That issue consists of the game starting in a wrong resolution.

The issue has started occuring after I reinstalled my Terraria. As I deleted all data except for the Savefiles, which I backed up, I also deleted the config.json. I have changed all the settings in game to what they were before the reinstall. My native resolution is 1920x1080 as I am running on a Acer Predator GN276HLbid 27 inch Monitor.

Now to the problem: When I start up my Terraria, my screen goes black for a short while and then my Desktop is displayed in a very small resolution, that does not cover up the entirety of my Screen and leaves black bars on the corners:
b6w4qVs
https://imgur.com/fCLIpVR
The screenshot here does only show the window that is actually displayed, not the black bars as they are not actually part of what is being displayed.
In comparison, this is what my steam looks normally:
WGkIXIG
https://imgur.com/WGkIXIG

After that weird resolution bug, the screen goes white for a few seconds and after that Terraria launches in the right resolution as if nothing happened.
Other windows that are open in the background remain in this weird resolution however, to get them back to normal I need to reduce the window size and then maximize the window again.

Additionally, whenever I tab out of the game and try to tab back into it, the screen goes white for a few seconds.

I know these problems are not gamebreaking or horrible but especially when tabbing in and out quite often, as I do a lot of Pixelart and need pictures for reference, it gets quite annoying.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to figure out what's wrong with my Terraria!

Specs of my PC are:

Processor : Intel(R) Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
RAM : 16.0 GB
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Last edited:
I'm not sure the screenshots convey what you're trying to say, at least it's not clear to me.

If you launch the game in window mode, does it still do the effect you're describing?
If you set the game to launch in borderless window (changed in the resolution setting of Terraria) does it have the effect you're describing?
Does this happen when you launch any other game or 3d application from steam or just Terraria?

I'm not sure the screenshots convey what you're trying to say, at least it's not clear to me.

If you launch the game in window mode, does it still do the effect you're describing?
If you set the game to launch in borderless window (changed in the resolution setting of Terraria) does it have the effect you're describing?
Does this happen when you launch any other game or 3d application from steam or just Terraria?
The first screenshot shows how my Desktop looks shortly after the blackscreen that is caused by starting Terraria. As you can see, it is a way smaller part of my PC that is actually displayed than my PC usually would, the second screenshot serves as a comparison as that is how my steam would look normally.

Yes I still have the issue when setting the ingame settings to windowed borderless, even setting the launch options in steam to the proper resolution did not change anything.
The issue does not occur when playing in Windowed mode.
Terraria is the only game that has this issue.

It seems like a multitude of other people have reported this issue, but none have a fix so far. Most others have gone to playing in window mode + borderless window or simply window mode for the time being.

Do you have any other monitors to test it on? What I'm trying to deduce with this is if it happens just on your monitor, or all monitors.

Thank you for the help and the quick answer anyways! Now at least I know, that I didn't make a horrible mistake or anything..
I do sadly only own this one monitor' so I can't test it on another.

Does anyone have a monitor at your place that you could borrow for a sec? Going in blind will make troubleshooting much more difficult.

If not, lets try changing the resolution of your desktop one size below, than launching Terraria and see if it happens. If it does, then change it one size lower again and see if it still has issues.

Then return to your native resolution. Now change the refresh rate of your display to 60Hz (done in the same place you change your resolution at, you'll need to click advanced settings) then launch Terraria, see if the same thing happens.

I have done all the steps you suggested and none seemed to have any impact.

My monitor was surprisingly already set to a 60Hz refresh rate, which I suspect was reset during a windows update. I tried again on 144hz and the black/whitescreens get noticably shorter. However the problem still persists.

Okay what if we do a clean install of your video drivers? Let's see if that has any impact. Remember when doing the installation to select custom rather than express and then click the checkbox that says "Preform clean installation"

GTX 1050 Ti Latest Driver

Let me know the results of the installation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I think I found a test rig with a similar problem, but the windows in the background do not stay at the "weird resolution". It's not really a problem on the test rig since after startup everything functions normally even the windows in the background. Which is where your rig and the rig I used to test would differ.

Could you take one more screenshot of what happens when you run terraria, and then alt tab? What do the windows look like before having to fix anything just so that I can understand what you're saying better.

Last edited:
Okay what if we do a clean install of your video drivers? Let's see if that has any impact. Remember when doing the installation to select custom rather than express and then click the checkbox that says "Preform clean installation"

GTX 1050 Ti Latest Driver

Let me know the results of the installation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I think I found a test rig with a similar problem, but the windows in the background do not stay at the "weird resolution". It's not really a problem on the test rig since after startup everything functions normally even the windows in the background. Which is where your rig and the rig I used to test would differ.

Could you take one more screenshot of what happens when you run terraria, and then alt tab? What do the windows look like before having to fix anything just so that I can understand what you're saying better.

I actually started Terraria and the problem with Windows in the Background being affected just vanished..?
The whitescreen when tabbing back into the game still persists.

The linked Driver is not compatible with Windows 10 for whatever reason..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: The problem came back right after I wrote the post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 2: The problem seems to only be there right after starting the game. If I do not change the windows, they will pop back into their normal shape after having Terraria running for a little while and then tabbing out.

Whoops, Here is the Windows 10 Version of the 1050 Ti Driver.

You can try to do a clean installation from that. I'm glad we found some work arounds, and even if we didn't the impact seems pretty low. Between you version and the other rig I tested this is seeming more like a problem we can't solve on your end and more like a problem that needs to be in bug reports. I could be wrong though. Try the clean install see if it helps if not I'll write something up that can be put in your main post so the developers can sort through the issue better.

Get back to me and let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be clear, the white screen (or black screen) when alt tabbing back in seems to happen to everyone (or at least the 4 rigs I tested it on), a brief black screen on startup when launching in fullscreen mode also seems to happen to everyone. Not just for Terraria, but every game from what I have been testing on various different rigs. It's completely normal think of it as a loading screen while the GPU is rendering the image. On my system it's so fast that it only happens for a very split second. The only time it would be a problem is if for some reason your game stays as a black or white screen which it does not. The effect should be able to be reduced by running any particular game in a window.

The problem we're attempting to address is if your desktop and background windows stay in a lower resolution after launch. That isn't normal, and it's something we should attempt to fix. I'm glad you found a work around though. I would still do a clean install of your drivers to see if the problem is fixed like this.

By the way, is it just the windows are being resized and placed in the top left corner? or is it that when you alt tab out of the game it looks like the resolution of your entire monitor is much lower than it should be?

Last edited:
Whoops, Here is the Windows 10 Version of the 1050 Ti Driver.

You can try to do a clean installation from that. I'm glad we found some work arounds, and even if we didn't the impact seems pretty low. Between you version and the other rig I tested this is seeming more like a problem we can't solve on your end and more like a problem that needs to be in bug reports. I could be wrong though. Try the clean install see if it helps if not I'll write something up that can be put in your main post so the developers can sort through the issue better.

Get back to me and let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be clear, the white screen (or black screen) when alt tabbing back in seems to happen to everyone (or at least the 4 rigs I tested it on), a brief black screen on startup when launching in fullscreen mode also seems to happen to everyone. Not just for Terraria, but every game from what I have been testing on various different rigs. It's completely normal think of it as a loading screen while the GPU is rendering the image. On my system it's so fast that it only happens for a very split second. The only time it would be a problem is if for some reason your game stays as a black or white screen which it does not. The effect should be able to be reduced by running any particular game in a window.

The problem we're attempting to address is if your desktop and background windows stay in a lower resolution after launch. That isn't normal, and it's something we should attempt to fix. I'm glad you found a work around though. I would still do a clean install of your drivers to see if the problem is fixed like this.

By the way, is it just the windows are being resized and placed in the top left corner? or is it that when you alt tab out of the game it looks like the resolution of your entire monitor is much lower than it should be?

I did a reinstall and nothing changed.

The windows are merely resized.

It still seems odd, as my computer is quite beefy and alt tabbing in and out of other games works like a charm.

Yeah that's the thing that I noticed on a multitude of other rigs, I'll write up something for the Bug report section with a link back to this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed not every window from every process gets resized. Only certain ones.

When you have been testing this what process have you been alt tabbing to?

I've only been able to have Chrome and Discord get their window sizes adjusted so far. Firefox, Internet Explorer, VLC, and Steam do not get their window size adjusted.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the thing that I noticed on a multitude of other rigs, I'll write up something for the Bug report section with a link back to this thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've noticed not every window from every process gets resized. Only certain ones.

When you have been testing this what process have you been alt tabbing to?

I've only been able to have Chrome and Discord get their window sizes adjusted so far. Firefox, Internet Explorer, VLC, and Steam do not get their window size adjusted.

I have noticed the same thing, for me it is also Discord and Opera (my browser), Steam is not affected.

Thank you very much for all the help and the effort you put into helping me! Maybe the Bug report will lead to a solution

if you open terraria properties by either right clicking terraria in task manager an pressing on properties or opening the file location and right clicking on terraria.exe then pressing properties you can turn it off by unchecking the box that says run in 640 x 80 screen resolution under the compatibility section and relaunching terraria

Last edited:
I have noticed the same thing, for me it is also Discord and Opera (my browser), Steam is not affected.

Thank you very much for all the help and the effort you put into helping me! Maybe the Bug report will lead to a solution
hey i know im late but i found a solution

for me it only looks normal if i make it the highest resolution (which is around 3000 x 2000 smthn) it looks normal but then the guis are really small

but your able to fix how small it is by changing the zoom and gui size in general

Back
Top Bottom