Terraria: State of the Game (11/8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coding on PC is very, very different than coding on console. Not only that, but the optimization to.

I'm sorry, but no. While the languages might be different, coding for consoles is in many ways simpler. Having a single discrete system dedicated to games running a slim OS is much easier to program for. To say otherwise tells me you don't have much actual knowledge of programming.

So it's not because there's more people that it's should work more perfectly, no. In fact, is it even the exact opposite. In coding, you always want to have coordination so all thing work properly. The more people you have, the more chance it's will less be good. Their competence and their teamwork also matter. What they use also matter. But here, I'm only talking about the team, not the game / software / hardware itself which also have a big impact. There is so many parameter to take in that it is impossible to predict what is normal or not.

Saying they have poor coordination is not a valid excuse. We are not talking about a small group of hobbyist working in their spare time. This is a professional business doing this for a living. They should be held to a higher standard.

Also, yes me experience is normal. There will always, ALWAYS be at some point a little lag like this. It is impossible to not have it. It is bound to happen.

Your experience is just that, yours. If tons of people were having the game hard lock up on them, the complaints would be seen here. The only such complaints have been about consoles.

Personally my PC version has never done this, not even on a busy screen, not even while hosting a server. If Terraria on PC is completely freezing and unresponsive for an entire second for you, it's your hardware, and not the fault of the game. The PC version of the game runs fine for the majority of us. So no, it is not impossible to achieve.

I'm gonna stop now, because we are derivating too much out of subject and it is becoming what should not be there, and as I know, it is not allowed.
Have a nice day everybody !

I personally am not interested in letting completely false information stand without some form of rebuttal.

Still, they added mobile and should not reject mobile because “pc had it first.” 1.3 pc came around 2015/2016. mobile has an unconfirmed 2019 launch. we shouldnt have to wait this long for an update even if it is kindof big.

It's being recoded FROM THE GROUND UP. It's not just an update.

I want to talk about that goblin shark thing some more. Will each biome have it's own blood moon "fish"? Will they have special drops? Will there be some sort of expansion to the Angler? Will there be Solar Eclipse fishing too?
I really hope the next spoiler expands on this new mechanic a little.

I want to talk about that goblin shark thing some more. Will each biome have it's own blood moon "fish"? Will they have special drops? Will there be some sort of expansion to the Angler? Will there be Solar Eclipse fishing too?
I really hope the next spoiler expands on this new mechanic a little.
I'm gonna guess: No, Yes, Yes, Maybe.

it should not take almost 4 years to complete this. id say it shouldnt take longer than 2-3 years.
It's entirely possible that mobile as a platform is just now getting to the point that it can really handle a game like Terraria. Most mobile games have tended to be rather limited.

i know this. however i have been waiting almost 3 years for a big mobile update and have to wait another till this one gets released. it should not take almost 4 years to complete this. id say it shouldnt take longer than 2-3 years.
Not all of that time was Pipeworks though. The first half of that wait time was another company (Codeglue in the case of mobile) trying and failing to port the game's patches under their own code. When ReLogic and 505 switched to Pipeworks they basically started over again. So the timer is closer to 2 years that work on the current version has been going on.

Waiting for 1.3.6 may be painful, but cheers to it being fully worth our while in the end!
Why does PC always get the good stuff? mods, 1.3, new minibiomes, new enemies, lunatic cultist, solar pillar, vortex pillar, nebula pillar, stardust pillar, moonlord, demon heart, expert mode, solar eruption, daybreak, and now this?! MADNESS! Everyone who plays on other platforms hate PC players as much as the moonlord hates you

Why does PC always get the good stuff? mods, 1.3, new minibiomes, new enemies, lunatic cultist, solar pillar, vortex pillar, nebula pillar, stardust pillar, moonlord, demon heart, expert mode, solar eruption, daybreak, and now this?! MADNESS! Everyone who plays on other platforms hate PC players as much as the moonlord hates you
Because PC is the best platform and easiest to code on. Everything has to be slowly converted onto inferior hardware with massive limitations to bring this content to Console and Mobile.

Because PC is the platform the original creator works on, so it's the lead platform. ReLogic does nothing for consoles and mobile, that's outsourced to another company. They are completely rewriting the game for consoles and mobile because the engine the PC version is written in doesn't work on any other platform. That makes them take longer, which puts them way behind PC development. Not to mention all the bugs the rewrite is introducing that they have to take time to fix.

Can you please fix the Xbox One Edition screen resolution for local split screen, I can not see my hearts nor can the other players see their hearts or mana.
Also there is no setting to adjust the screens border to match your TVs resolution. Hopefully this gets addressed ASAP cause it really is making a bad impact on game play and overall game progress. Still love the game regardless :)
(I don't know if PS4 users experience this issue as well)

Greetings, Terrarians!

We hope that you’re enjoying the latest patch for Xbox One & PlayStation 4. As promised, we want to provide you with a quick monthly status update on all platforms.

PS4 & Xbox One
View attachment 212778

As alluded to in the previous state of the game post there’s some technical housekeeping that Pipeworks are in the process of completing. This includes a Unity Engine update and some platform-specific PlayStation/Xbox Development Kit software updates. These perhaps aren’t as interesting as prior updates, but they do provide much-needed under-the-hood work that will remove development bottlenecks to keep things running smoothly moving forward.

Along with that, we’ve been monitoring bugs and issues coming in from the wild. Those have been collected and we’re in the process of prioritizing them with our partners at 505 Games. Once we have additional information on which issues will be addressed we’ll let you know. Just know that your reports and feedback is being reviewed. We want you to know that loud and clear! Keep it coming.

As you saw from @Cenx's twitter picture just a week or so ago (https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/1054807176869527554), Switch is real and Redigit has had it in his hands! It’s been a really great month production wise – and we’ve had great fun reviewing the milestone with touch functionality integrated.

The next production milestone is going to be focused on Re-Logic feedback on the UI and the implementation of features we have requested.

We think the build looks and feels great. Terraria really feels at home on Switch and we are starting to see the benefits emerge from having a unified codebase. There’s still a lot of work left to do, but the team is happy where things are at right now – still looking good for that 2019 launch.

Just as with Switch, seeing is believing on this, so that’s what we are working towards. More news on this soon.

As you all know 1.3.6 is heavily in development for PC. We have added many new features and mechanics, hired several part time programmers from the mod community, and significantly added to the soundtrack of the game!We are very excited to announce the most recent edition to Terraria; Blood Moon Fishing! During Blood Moons you will now be able to fish up disgusting new monsters for a chance at new loot related to the Blood Moon! Below you will see a new work-in-progress enemy you can expect to see.

[/QUOTE/]
[doublepost=1542693293,1542693224][/doublepost]Since mouse and keyboard support is on both consoles now can we see them in terraria console?

PC is not the best platform for many. And from what i know you code all games on a PC not a different device for each platform. Limitations are generated from older devices.

Well relogic should be trying mobile. You still have mostly good reasons.
What do you mean "not for many"? It isn't a subjective measure, it's objectively superior. If you want to consider individual needs then we can talk. Limitations are generated from inferior devices.

PC is not the best platform for many. And from what i know you code all games on a PC not a different device for each platform. Limitations are generated from older devices.

Well relogic should be trying mobile. You still have mostly good reasons.
PC gaming is better because of the lone console for the hardware, unlike smartphones and tablets where they just cram everything on a small platform so they can't really make extreme ones. Though each of them has their own ups and downs, it lies on the players' decisions to choose, not the developers. True, the update time gap between PC and the other platforms are huge, because the PC version is the original one and the others are written in a whole different code, just like how Minecraft: Java and Minecraft: Pocket Edition used to be.

And before you get to "Minecraft can do it, why isn't Terraria doing a better job?", Terraria has more things to implement, unlike Minecraft with the small things. So, it's just a matter of time until we all get One Terraria

Ugh, please don't bring that "PC master race" bullslag into this. I'm sick to death of hearing it. I'm one of those for whom PC gaming is not an option (my computer is an old refurb; I can't afford anything better) and by this point it's gone past "irritating" well into "infuriating".

I've never played anything with mods, so I have no experience with them. Likely my only experience with mods at all will be the Skyrim special edition once I get around to playing it. I just wish the pace would pick up so we get the 1.3.1, 1.3.4, and 1.3.6 stuff sooner

Ugh, please don't bring that "PC master race" bullslag into this. I'm sick to death of hearing it. I'm one of those for whom PC gaming is not an option (my computer is an old refurb; I can't afford anything better) and by this point it's gone past "irritating" well into "infuriating".

I've never played anything with mods, so I have no experience with them. Likely my only experience with mods at all will be the Skyrim special edition once I get around to playing it. I just wish the pace would pick up so we get the 1.3.1, 1.3.4, and 1.3.6 stuff sooner
No one said "PC Master Race". No one said PC is the superior choice for you. It is a fact that PC is the superior development platform.
[doublepost=1542745403,1542745253][/doublepost]
Many dont like PC gaming such as me. thats what i mean. Limitations are from older devices or sometimes smaller screens.

PC gaming is not as fun and i dont like it. its my opinion
And then everyone is saying stuff like “different code” and other stuff and i know this but how long could it seriously take to update a mobile game? (im aware they’re recoding mobile.)

why exactly should other platforms not get updates because its pc on steam.
At the risk of continuing to derail this thread, what exactly are you looking for? People have given you reasonable answers for why PC development takes priority over other platforms. You're just ignoring those answers and repeating your question in subjective terms. Being ignorant to the trials of development is not a sin, but prevailing that ignorance instead of acknowledging reality is.

All of you: stop this pointless debate/argument about PC vs console vs mobile, before it completely derails this thread.

Did 1.3 add anything new to the Christmas event? I know it's still weeks away, but I still want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom