Terraria: State of the Game (11/8/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think there is one small change: in 1.3 you have to have beaten the frost legion legion for the santa NPC to spawn

I think you did in 1.2.4, too. Not entirely sure b/c I beat the frost legion long before the Christmas event, when one of my friends spawned it in my at-the-time pre-hardmode world. But the wiki says coal can be obtained from the present drops on the pc and console, but there're no icons for mobile or old-gen consoles, and I don't have coal in any of my chests. Is it a new addition?

Actually I think there is one small change: in 1.3 you have to have beaten the frost legion legion for the santa NPC to spawn
You have always needed to beat the frost legion on PC to spawn Santa. It's not the same event as the frost moon however, that's a much bigger challenge.
I think you did in 1.2.4, too. Not entirely sure b/c I beat the frost legion long before the Christmas event, when one of my friends spawned it in my at-the-time pre-hardmode world. But the wiki says coal can be obtained from the present drops on the pc and console, but there're no icons for mobile or old-gen consoles, and I don't have coal in any of my chests. Is it a new addition?
Yes, coal was made obtainable in 1.3. Any platform that is still on 1.2.4 can't acquire it without hacking.

You have always needed to beat the frost legion on PC to spawn Santa. It's not the same event as the frost moon however, that's a much bigger challenge.

Yes, coal was made obtainable in 1.3. Any platform that is still on 1.2.4 can't acquire it without hacking.

Okay, so the Christmas event did change. Slightly. But it did change!

I think I did the frost legion in 1.3 about a dozen times to get all the banners. Snow balla did not want to drop theirs. Think that event needs better rewards, though... I know it enables the Santa npc but only for 15 days a year. And the snow blocks are more of an annoyance than a resource. I'm still finding them in odd places from the last time I did that event. Six months ago...

Is there any ETA on when the unplayable console UI will be fixed/reverted? Or aspects such as a usable crafting menu, being able to see recipes, a crafting menu that has actual categories rather than a gigantic un-filtered and un ordered list?

Every 2 to 3 months I check in to see if there is any updates... Switch... Mobile... Console... anthing really. I love this game but whomever is behind the business side needs to be fired. All anyone ever does is wait on updates.

Solution: stop doing free updates. Seriously! Your game is good enough that you could charge $5~$10 for an "expansion", "DLC", "etc". Your incoming cash flow could then go to hiring some HELP, which in turn, will let you put stuff out faster than once every 36 years.

RIP Otherworld and Terraria 2.

Every 2 to 3 months I check in to see if there is any updates... Switch... Mobile... Console... anthing really. I love this game but whomever is behind the business side needs to be fired. All anyone ever does is wait on updates.

Solution: stop doing free updates. Seriously! Your game is good enough that you could charge $5~$10 for an "expansion", "DLC", "etc". Your incoming cash flow could then go to hiring some HELP, which in turn, will let you put stuff out faster than once every 36 years.

RIP Otherworld and Terraria 2.
Who said Terraria 2 was dead?
Also, they're trying their hardest. All they do is work on updates and content. It's not physically possible for them to do it faster.

Who said Terraria 2 was dead?
Also, they're trying their hardest. All they do is work on updates and content. It's not physically possible for them to do it faster.

I'm assuming it's dead. I have seen a pattern emerge in the last 4ish years and I simply placed T2 into that pattern. I hope I'm wrong though as I love Terraria.

Also, It is physical possible. Very much so and in fact, I've listed one of many possible actions that would facilitate faster work. It's actually how things normally work in this industry. I might be alone, but if presented with two options... A) free "buggy" updates but you gotta wait 16 months (or just gets cancelled altogether) or B) paid DLC that comes out every 6 months.

I'd gladly pony up the 10 -15 $$ .

That's just my opinion and I know it does not reflect everyone's .

Also, It is physical possible. Very much so and in fact, I've listed one of many possible actions that would facilitate faster work. It's actually how things normally work in this industry. I might be alone, but if presented with two options... A) free "buggy" updates but you gotta wait 16 months (or just gets cancelled altogether) or B) paid DLC that comes out every 6 months.
The reason this last update is taking so long is because they are overhauling the entire code base. 1.3.6 really isn't an update that they can rush.

adding crossplay would be a disaster for the code. Think of coding like "Minesweeper". One off code can wreck the whole game so imagine trying to add in different infrastructure coding to make the game cross play compatible. You'd be making it harder for the devs to code. This isn't a linear game here. Every asset is loaded all at once. This game is more demanding than you think.

My Characters on the Xbox one transfer no problem but it won't let me download my world that i've been working on for years. I have a Black ops II logo on my arcade. That's how long I've been working on it! and it's not even done! I noticed Minecraft's code has no idea what's in every chest until you open them. Once you load into Terraria, your game knows what's in every single chest. I suggest making the game not load the contents of the chests until a player opens them.

That would ease up on the system. I'm not sure how this works but the Xbox One's version reads the older version a a world has from the cloud save. The downloading system should switch to whatever version the world is. A downloading system with the properties of an older version could read an older version much better than a newer system trying to read an older version if that makes sence. I REALLY don't want to start a new world.

I wish there was a way to make it read a USB save of an old gen Terraria world. Releasing one last update to the old gen may help. I just finally got Terraria on my Xbox one and it's an epic buzzkill. If I can't have my world then I don't even care to play on the Xbox One.

Last edited:
As i said before, it’s just an option. I do understand their reasons, however since versions are being recoded the problem you mentioned could be fixed. There still are other reasons not to.

There's still a healthy number of backlog items (tasks/bugs) that need to be taken care of, as well as additional content from the other PC updates. As a studio we've done cross-play before in the prior console generation, and would be interested in pursuing this, but it's pretty low on the priority list for now. Most of the games we develop have that in mind in some form or another.

Honestly adding crossplay to versions stuck on 1.2.4 would be nice. Ex: 3DS, kindle fire HD, old-gen console. Would make it quite cool but then the exclusive stuff would be a big problem there along with some other stuff. Just an idea so bye
The older versions of the game are not being supported or updated anymore. It's a finished product now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom