Terraria State of the Game - April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand how its good to remove range, the 3DS version is quite hard for me, as there are no keybinds, no second joystick to move cursor, and a few other things.

I thought the mobile version was being made from console, if not, the controls still seem alot like those on console.

That was the original plan, that plan ceased to be when DR Studios took over development.

In what way are they similar to console? Because there are two sticks? The use of buttons? Just because both have sticks and buttons =/= based on nor similar to each other. Just saying. :)

That was the original plan, that plan ceased to be when DR Studios took over development.

In what way are they similar to console? Because there are two sticks? The use of buttons? Just because both have sticks and buttons =/= based on nor similar to each other. Just saying. :)

So does that mean every port is based on the PC version, since it has dozens of buttons (keyboard keys), and can optionally be played with a controller, which have sticks?

P.S: (Just joking about the button concept! No need for replies! ~:p)

The pc version is essentially the core version. Which has led to all the complaints about the UI not working with controller because it was meant for keyboard and mouse

The smart cursor, and regular controls seem the most. Like how the • appears, + appears when disabling it, and how you use the second joystick to controls the +, or •.
I cant confirm all of this before playing but some of those buttons definitely seem like they do that from all the pictures.

The pc version is essentially the core version. Which has led to all the complaints about the UI not working with controller because it was meant for keyboard and mouse
Inventory needs an update with a controller, its so annoying to press RB&LB to swap between crafting, inventory, and equip.

It was RB/LB to switch between the menu screens in 1.2.4, too. I personally don't see much difference there. I go the wrong way through the menus just as frequently now as I did back then

The pc version is essentially the core version.

Yep. It absolutely is.

so annoying to press RB&LB to swap between crafting, inventory, and equip.
It was RB/LB to switch between the menu screens in 1.2.4, too. I personally don't see much difference there. I go the wrong way through the menus just as frequently now as I did back then

Pretty much this. It was always RB/LB to toggle the various menu states - just it was tabbed to separate pages/screens before whereas now it is all on one page, more or less. I get the visibility complaints to a degree, but the "way you move around" is more or less the same as it has ever been.

The smart cursor, and regular controls seem the most. Like how the • appears, + appears when disabling it

The smart cursor "yellow box" is lifted from the smart cursor appearance on PC. As is the cursor appearance itself (gamepad style from PC, since it makes more sense here than a mouse cursor arrow, say). It makes sense to lift some gamepad dynamics from what is ostensibly a set of virtual controls that mimic "real" controls - be it gamepad or mouse actions (in regards to, say, touch commands, for example).

What people are totally leaving out and forgetting in all of this is that last bit - touch. My personal experience and watching that of others is that what evolves is that each player finds their own "way" after an initial learning curve... what settings overall, for each weapon/tool type, when to use touch vs when to use dual stick for various things, etc, etc.

The end result is that it plays like neither PC nor console/gamepad - more like a nice hybrid of the two that feels right in using the tools available to you on a mobile device.

IMO, of course. YMMV. :)

Yep. It absolutely is.

Pretty much this. It was always RB/LB to toggle the various menu states - just it was tabbed to separate pages/screens before whereas now it is all on one page, more or less. I get the visibility complaints to a degree, but the "way you move around" is more or less the same as it has ever been.

People just don't like change, is the thing. And they can always find something to complain about.

I'm happy as long as the bugs get fixed

I dont understand how its good to shorten range by about 3-4x, the 3DS version is quite hard for me, as there are no keybinds, no second joystick to move cursor, im still stuck on WOF after a few years.
The thing that makes the 3DS version easy in my opinion is the fact that you can lock on to enemies with X and just fire and forget until the enemy you locked onto is dead. The L and R buttons also make hotbar navigation much easier then on mobile.

The thing that makes the 3DS version easy in my opinion is the fact that you can lock on to enemies with X and just fire and forget until the enemy you locked onto is dead. The L and R buttons also make hotbar navigation much easier then on mobile.

I remember the times where Mobile’s “lock-on” feature from the past was extremely powerful, where all a person had to do was simply hold down the attack stick while using a ranged weapon to grind anything down to dust, even if the target was off-screen! At least that is toned down with the current update, but still quite powerful, and maybe being entirely removed from the upcoming update!

I remember the times where Mobile’s “lock-on” feature from the past was extremely powerful, where all a person had to do was simply hold down the attack stick while using a ranged weapon to grind anything down to dust, even if the target was off-screen! At least that is toned down with the current update, but still quite powerful, and maybe being entirely removed from the upcoming update!
It's even more powerful on the 3DS, where you just have to hold down the attack BUTTON, not even use a seperate stick!

Wha?
Wow, i didnt know. Is it limited to certain weapons?
[doublepost=1557272248,1557271966][/doublepost]
I never owned an old console version (other than 3ds) but i still have played on it. The change on 1.3 is theres nothing to signify if it goes to equip, or craft. I remember there being icons at the top, right button would send you one icon to the right. same with left.

How did this never happen to me? i always die on wof because the manual cursor disables, making me shoot where im looking, which is always after from the boss.
I've never had that happen... are you on the old model or the new model of 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom