Terraria State of the Game - August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember when they announced all of the old devs work on the 1.3 ports was going in the trash to allow the game to be rebuilt from the ground up. Pipeworks really has done an outstanding job when it comes to their work on mobile/console and I wish them luck with their future projects. [Not that they'll need it ;)]

As far as 1.4.1 goes, the only thing I want is for the Lunatic Cultist to get his well deserved treasure bag. The new achievements look great, thanks for not including something like "Get every banner". Keep up the great work and take your time. <3

Wow, lighten up...

no.

You don’t have to be an optimist if you’re not a pessimist.

i realize there is being a realist, which i usually am on my better days.

and it still comes down to the fact that i know nothing about DR's work and can't judge how well they'll handle console terraria.

so until i see their work for myself, it's still a very unknown situation.

Pipeworks other projects slowed them down to the point where I rarely play the game, and only come here for the state of the game posts, hoping that there might be some news. Taking 6+ moths for a bug fix isn't a reasonable time for me. Tbh though, a lot of this is just the bitter aftertaste that still lingers in me after the many many delays that came during the 1.3 development. By the time it came out for PS4, and us Xbox people had to wait 2-3 more moths, I just... Sigh. I hope that the new studio doesn't fall into that pit of setting up expectations, and then failing to meet them. That's ultimately why I'm happy to see Pipeworks go. Still, I must say that they at least have good effort in their work, and they brought console to 1.3.5, despite the long struggle to get there. Perhaps the problem is my expectations of them were just too high going in.

On their website it says they do Console Unity:
Jobs — DR

this means literally nothing to me, so i'm not sure if you were expecting that to soothe my worries.

Pipeworks can now make internet posts without having the comments all be asking when the terraria update is coming out. Godspeed, and thanks for all the fish.

this is probably the best thing to take from this news... i made a topic elsewhere about how i felt bad for them having to deal with so much toxicity from this community.

Pipeworks other projects slowed them down to the point where I rarely play the game, and only come here for the state of the game posts, hoping that there might be some news. Taking 6+ moths for a bug fix isn't a reasonable time for me. Tbh though, a lot of this is just the bitter aftertaste that still lingers in me after the many many delays that came during the 1.3 development. By the time it came out for PS4, and us Xbox people had to wait 2-3 more moths, I just... Sigh. I hope that the new studio doesn't fall into that pit of setting up expectations, and then failing to meet them. That's ultimately why I'm happy to see Pipeworks go. Still, I must say that they at least have good effort in their work, and they brought console to 1.3.5, despite the long struggle to get there. Perhaps the problem is my expectations of them were just too high going in.

speaking of... this is just one of the many things they had to deal with.

yes, they were working on terraria, but they also had their own games they wanted to make... expecting them to focus purely on porting someone else's work and neglect their own passions is an incredibly selfish thing for anyone to do.

your expectations, along with those of others, even if you didn't intend for it... was a part of the toxicity they had to deal with.

now we'll see if DRS can handle that burden... they only had mobile to worry about before.

now they have atleast three more platforms to work on, and that means three more audiences piling their expectations and demands onto them.

that may or may not affect their efficiency and the quality of their work.

I have a big question.
When developing TModLoader will it only be 1.4 or can you choose between 1.3.5 and 1.4 before booting?

Hmm
To put an example here, what Pipeworks were trying to do by working on Terraria and their own projects at the same is is like: You're pulling a cart of your stuff down a road, but as it turns out, the road is blocked by a bunch of boulders, and many others are waiting for it to be cleared so it can pass. What Pipeworks tried to do was move the boulders while simultaneously pulling the personal carts. Everyone else just wants the boulders moved, but they insist on taking the carts with them while clearing the road rather than focusing on the boulders, before coming back for the carts. This causes the other people to get frustrated, as they think it could be so much better for everyone if they would just get rid of the boulders, helping the majority, rather than slowing that work to help their own stuff. Aftering getting through a good chunk of the boulders (Terraria work) it seems they've become tired of the others complaining, and have decided to take another road to get their carts (independent projects) through faster. Leaving another person to try to finish the clearing of the road. As with all analogies, this one isn't perfect, but it shows some of my thinking here.

Interesting stuff here. several things I assumed would become achievements and some things I didn’t expect.

The figure in #5 is clearly the Dreadnautilus, but I wonder if that just means something about Blood Moon fishing rather than Dreadnautilus specifically.

People have been saying #10 is the Hotline Fishing Pole, which I can see, but I really don’t like the idea of more Angler quests. For my own sanity, I’m going to assume it’s just to obtain any fishing rod, because there aren’t any achievements for that and I think achievements are now meant to help guide the player.

No idea what 6, 13 and 14 are. They look like happiness, graveyard and dead man’s chest but they also don’t. Have to wait and see for these ones

Old One’s army achievement is interesting because it’s far easier to clear T1 of the Army than T3, so it’s in a pretty interesting place where it’s much easier to get in a fresh playthrough.

I also suspect that there will be more achievements than this 15, as I remember hearing something about world purity, golf, and music achievements and I’d be shocked if there weren’t any for the Bestiary too.

Thank you for all the work you've put into the Console versions of Terraria over the years Pipeworks! It was very good to allow console players to experience everything 1.3 and it was a difficult task updating it from 1.2. Hopefully your other projects work out well!

1.4.1 is wild to think about. 1.4 already adds so much. Looking forward to seeing all the other small changes that 1.4.1 will bring. New achievements are always fun!

People have been saying #10 is the Hotline Fishing Pole, which I can see, but I really don’t like the idea of more Angler quests. For my own sanity, I’m going to assume it’s just to obtain any fishing rod, because there aren’t any achievements for that and I think achievements are now meant to help guide the player.
Not the Hotline Fishing Pole, the Lavaproof Fishing Hook found in Obsidian Crates. It's actually extremely common and generally painless to get (it's a 20% chance and Obsidian Crates are extremely common when lava fishing, as well as lava bait being very common as well.)

Oh boy, better I enjoy the 100% achievements while It lasts, beside probably will not be hard to 100% again, until Zenith.
And that Celestial Pillar event is giving me ideas to the game... But I'll need to give some thoughts on It before I tell about It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom