Terraria State of the Game - August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the update on the 2 player split screen for the Switch. Been waiting so so patiently and know you guys are working so hard. Haven't touched Terraria for months now but once the split screen comes out, Im ready to play again.

What all is in 1.4.1 (besides those super cool vanity contest sets and localizations, of course)? You will have to wait and see for yourself.
So there's going to be a bit more content added in 1.4.1 besides the 5 contest outfits and bug fixes? Interesting.

So the baton gets passed on. Again. :/

I wonder what changes under the hood that will bring to console terraria. The backend that Pipeworks built with Unity is probably out. What will replace it? Mono? I know Mono is available now as an option on consoles. It wasn't available when Pipeworks started working on Terraria.

Is that what DR uses in the mobile version?
I beleive that the DR mobile version is also in Unity, but much closer to the PC codebase than the previous mobile port, and the console ports.
Any news on Mac/Linux support? Can we expect resolution problems on these platforms to be fixed in 1.4.1?
Lots of fixes coming for Mac & Linux in 1.4.1 :)

Since 1.4.1 is changing world-gen, I've delete all my previous characters (R.I.P) and am forbidding myself from playing Terraria until it releases. I'm desperate ;(.

I beleive that the DR mobile version is also in Unity, but much closer to the PC codebase than the previous mobile port, and the console ports.
You make it sound like they have at least partially rewritten the game engine itself. I find that hard to believe, considering how quickly they got the mobile version up and running. It took Engine around a year at least (it's not clear when they started working) to write a new engine for the initial release on PS3/360. That later was used for the mobile port. I don't think they were lazy.

But I'm not a game developer or even a windows programmer. While I have tinkered a little bit with .NET, I have mainly dealt with hardware/software on embedded systems (usually with very little RAM so they can't even afford having a traditional os).

well atleast this state of the game did not disappoint for console considering the last few months were drier than a desert. While this is big news I wasn't too shocked to hear pipeworks is moving on since their twitter basically was hinting at it, I wish the best for them and hope DR studios can pick up the slack I felt pipeworks left behind and allow for a more efficient and swifter release for 1.4 on console.

i just can't help but be concerned with what DRS will be doing to console terraria.

are they gonna end up undoing pipeworks' efforts?

checking twitter, i saw some people asking them to put mobile controls in console or whatever... who the hell would want such a thing?

that sounds like it'd ruin the game, honestly.

also, with them being from the UK, i can't help but wonder if our imperial measurements are gonna be removed and replaced with the nonsensical metric measurements.

that would just ruin my enjoyment of the game.

if they end up recoding the game again, is that gonna remove the console-exclusive vanities?

other than me being unsure of their skill at handling things, i have no clue if they'll be faithful to our version of the game or not.

honestly dunno how everyone can be so sure that DRS won't mess everything up.

just looking at the mobile version of the game gives me a headache, to be honest... hope to the gods that console terraria won't be mangled like that.

i just can't help but be concerned with what DRS will be doing to console terraria.

are they gonna end up undoing pipeworks' efforts?

Well, I highly doubt they are going to re-port the game to consoles, as that would take quite a bit of time, even if they were porting from their mobile port. They're likely adopting the Pipeworks code and going from there.

also, with them being from the UK, i can't help but wonder if our imperial measurements are gonna be removed and replaced with the nonsensical metric measurements.

that would just ruin my enjoyment of the game.

... even ignoring the question of imperial units vs. "nonsensical metric measurements," I cannot understand a perspective where a change from "two feet per block" and "one meter per block" would "ruin my enjoyment of the game". I mean, really? A completely arbitrary piece of text is the difference between a fun game experience and "ruined" play?

Look, I understand being apprehensive about change, but have some perspective here.

if they end up recoding the game again, is that gonna remove the console-exclusive vanities?

other than me being unsure of their skill at handling things, i have no clue if they'll be faithful to our version of the game or not.

Why do you think that DR Studios would deliberately try to antagonize the new audience that they've adopted? Even if they were re-porting the game, we're talking about vanity items; they're the easiest thing to add to the game.

honestly dunno how everyone can be so sure that DRS won't mess everything up.

Because ReLogic still has final say on the console versions, so it's not like DR Studios can just do whatever they want. Also, DR Studios is clearly capable of making good ports, considering the mobile versions.

Well does the mobile version have this? I don’t believe so, so it’s probably a no, burn how would it really ruin gameplay though? I mean I never use measurements in game unless I ya the ruler for per block...

Well, I highly doubt they are going to re-port the game to consoles, as that would take quite a bit of time, even if they were porting from their mobile port. They're likely adopting the Pipeworks code and going from there.

... even ignoring the question of imperial units vs. "nonsensical metric measurements," I cannot understand a perspective where a change from "two feet per block" and "one meter per block" would "ruin my enjoyment of the game". I mean, really? A completely arbitrary piece of text is the difference between a fun game experience and "ruined" play?

Look, I understand being apprehensive about change, but have some perspective here.

Why do you think that DR Studios would deliberately try to antagonize the new audience that they've adopted? Even if they were re-porting the game, we're talking about vanity items; they're the easiest thing to add to the game.

Because ReLogic still has final say on the console versions, so it's not like DR Studios can just do whatever they want. Also, DR Studios is clearly capable of making good ports, considering the mobile versions.

maybe i am worrying for nothing, but with how this year has been going, it's kinda hard to not expect the absolute worst to happen regarding... well, everything.

Well does the mobile version have this? I don’t believe so, so it’s probably a no, burn how would it really ruin gameplay though? I mean I never use measurements in game unless I ya the ruler for per block...

i did say it would ruin my personal enjoyment of the game, not necessarily ruin the game overall.

as for my aversion to non-US measurements, that comes down to something best left alone on these forums.

but it was caused by something i've taken very personally over the years, let's leave it at that.

@Loki why was the change from Pipeworks to DR on Console done?

between having their own ideas and passions they wanted to follow through on, and having too much on their plate with 1.4 on top of it all... i imagine it was also the toxicity from the community getting to them.

i mean, every single tweet they made would immediately be responded to with various 1.4 comments, demands, and people just straight-up insulting them and saying their own games will never be any good.

you can see some of that toxicity right here in this topic, with people suggesting pipeworks did a poor job at the updates, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom