Terraria State of the Game - August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we please get either one hint or reveal perhaps for the new liquid?

maybe it'll be acid? i mean, what else could it be?

though, i dunno where acid would naturally go in the current biomes... doubt a new biome is getting added.

i would think maybe blood for the crimson, but then i feel like corruption should get poisonous liquid or something to balance that out.

unlikely to happen.

then again, if a new biome IS getting added...

...urine?

maybe red is going the extra mile and creating a sewage biome. :dryadtongue:

maybe a special seed that creates a world of bathroom humor! :dryadgrin:

Unfortunately the game engine only supports 4 liquids, and I’m not sure why that couldn’t just be modified so at least we are getting a 4th liquid. I hope it will be used with other liquids to make new block types. I love that mechanic for making block farms/generators with the intentional liquid physics in game.

the game engine has nothing to do with liquid limitations; liquids are entirely implemented from scratch by relogic.
the reason why there "can only be 4 liquids" right now is simply that only 2 bits in the tile data are dedicated to storing liquid state, which allows for 4 possible combinations.
they could use some unused bits in other places of the tile data to get more liquids, but that would probably ruin performance due to more calculations being done.

similarly, 5 bits are dedicated to store tile paint, which allows for 32 possible combinations, resulting in the earlier question of replacing one of the paints. the new coats from 1.4.4 will likely use the last remaining 3 bit long space to allow for 8 potential coat types in the future.
after that, there is only one last free bit, which could only be used to store some on/off state :)

and before you ask "why not add more bits?", the smallest addition that could be made would be a full byte, which would explode the size of a fully loaded world by another 160mb - for reference, currently a large world already uses about 500mb of memory.

Last edited:
the game engine has nothing to do with liquid limitations; liquids are entirely implemented from scratch by relogic.
the reason why there "can only be 4 liquids" right now is simply that only 2 bits in the tile data are dedicated to storing liquid state, which allows for 4 possible combinations.
they could use some unused bits in other places of the tile data to get more liquids, but that would probably ruin performance due to more calculations being done.

similarly, 5 bits are dedicated to store tile paint, which allows for 32 possible combinations, resulting in the earlier question of replacing one of the paints. the new coats from 1.4.4 will likely use the last remaining 3 bit long space to allow for 8 potential coat types in the future.
after that, there is only one last free bit, which could only be used to store some on/off state :)
oh ok thanks for the clarification. Redigit told me that a long time ago probably to avoid explaining it fully but I understand most of that…I learn quickly.

Could we please get either one hint or reveal perhaps for the new liquid?
I've seen quicksand being brought up a lot as a hypothetical fourth liquid and it would be my guess as well. The existence of the magic sand dropper and sandfall walls makes me believe the idea of a quicksand liquid was already considered in the past but never implemented for one reason or another (until now :eek:).

maybe it'll be acid? i mean, what else could it be?

though, i dunno where acid would naturally go in the current biomes... doubt a new biome is getting added.
Acid is another good guess, I can easily imagine acid pits as traps in the dungeon, especially now that cracked bricks exist. I have a hard time coming up with blocks that would form if acid interacted with other liquids though, that's why I think it's a bit less likely to be added.

I mean if so underground or above ground cause if it is underground then presumably the lava deep into the underground dessert would be replaced with such a liquid. They already got this oasis mini biome above the surface so....

l am really hoping that this new liquid has a new feature..
for example “lava” hurts and
“honey” heals you..

I think it should be something new since lava sets you on fire. Slime should I think give you the “bouncy” buff making you bounce more ie light weight which would add to the bubble gum blocks as well. :). But the oil…hmmm…what about a “slippery” buff/debuff depending on how you look at it? It causes you to slide say 3 blocks once you stop moving. It could add some more fun to the game.

Edit: Neutral buffs so to speak.

Last edited:
I know neon blocks are getting added but.. in my opinion l don’t like it because it just doesn’t match the world “Terraria”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom