Terraria State of the Game - August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the locked chests we can make have a choice of which key would be needed to lock it? As in just golden keys? Or can we have locks that will need shadow/biome keys?
Also, will there be a craftable dead man's chest, so we can have all chests that can be opened AND wired up to something?

As for console, once the release is done, and the bugs are fixed, will the graphics be brought up to parity? And will we finally get a right-click version, as L2 (on PS4) used to be?
Coralstone and Reef Blocks
Does that mean that they're two separate things? Are the old style coral blocks coming back alongside the new ones?!?!?!

As for console, once the release is done, and the bugs are fixed, will the graphics be brought up to parity? And will we finally get a right-click version, as L2 (on PS4) used to be?

I honestly have no idea what you mean on the first one.

There is no graphics downgrade that I am aware of, short of what a given system or TV can handle (unless someone at DR Studios can provide some light there)

What do you mean “right click” option? You mean a mapping for the features that are normally triggered via right click on PC in the custom mapping options?

There is no graphics downgrade that I am aware of, short of what a given system or TV can handle (unless someone at DR Studios can provide some light there)
There's a real difference when playing on a large TV like mine (55"). When I posted the issue originally I looked at the before & after I made and thought "that looks the same" because I was viewing it on a PC monitor. I play with friends online who also have big TVs, and they've all said how much worse it looks. The main graphics issues are:
  • The lines are blurry
  • The colours are drab
  • The lighting (both modes) is very dim
    • Hell is very hard to navigate because of this
  • Everything in the inventory looks the same so I can't find anything in there
  • The UI is tiny and very hard to read, and I can't for the life of me find a way to change it.
  • I know Terraria is a pixel art game, but it looks way more pixelated on console. It looks identical to mobile now, not PC.
The one thing Pipeworks got right was the look of the game; I could build a prototype of something on PS4 when inspiration struck and think "I'll build that properly on PC tomorrow" and it always looked identical. Now, I don't bother doing the prototype because it won't look the same on PC anyway.
What do you mean “right click” option? You mean a mapping for the features that are normally triggered via right click on PC in the custom mapping options?
On PC you can right-click on stack in the inventory/storage item to choose how many of the item you want. If I want 3 blocks I can just tap 1-2-3. On console, I have to go from 499 all the way down to 1 using the slider (which I'm sure works well on a touchscreen, but not a controller), whereas in 1.3 console you could press L2 in the same manner as right-click and have your 3 blocks no problem. There isn't even a way to take just one item from the duplication menu; you have to take a whole stack, use the slider and delete the rest of the stack.

I know that L2 now takes you between the different areas of the UI, but the "equip"/"open treasure" bag button (for me it's L2+△) would be a good alternative.

Please don't get me wrong: DR have done an absolutely BANGING job in terms of time and copying the content over - even the bugs are the same as PC (the biome torch swap not working in the ocean for example). It's very clear that they're a capable and professional team who continually produce results, and they're a good match for RE-Logic.

On the Mobile version of Terraria, the in-game soundtrack is on the Mono Channel instead of the Stereo Channel (on PC the soundtrack is on the Stereo channel.), Will this be fixed in 1.4.4 so the Soundtrack plays on the Stereo Channel instead of the Mono Channel?

There's a real difference when playing on a large TV like mine (55"). When I posted the issue originally I looked at the before & after I made and thought "that looks the same" because I was viewing it on a PC monitor. I play with friends online who also have big TVs, and they've all said how much worse it looks. The main graphics issues are:
  • The lines are blurry
  • The colours are drab
  • The lighting (both modes) is very dim
    • Hell is very hard to navigate because of this
  • Everything in the inventory looks the same so I can't find anything in there
  • The UI is tiny and very hard to read, and I can't for the life of me find a way to change it.
  • I know Terraria is a pixel art game, but it looks way more pixelated on console. It looks identical to mobile now, not PC.
The one thing Pipeworks got right was the look of the game; I could build a prototype of something on PS4 when inspiration struck and think "I'll build that properly on PC tomorrow" and it always looked identical. Now, I don't bother doing the prototype because it won't look the same on PC anyway.

On PC you can right-click on stack in the inventory/storage item to choose how many of the item you want. If I want 3 blocks I can just tap 1-2-3. On console, I have to go from 499 all the way down to 1 using the slider (which I'm sure works well on a touchscreen, but not a controller), whereas in 1.3 console you could press L2 in the same manner as right-click and have your 3 blocks no problem. There isn't even a way to take just one item from the duplication menu; you have to take a whole stack, use the slider and delete the rest of the stack.

I know that L2 now takes you between the different areas of the UI, but the "equip"/"open treasure" bag button (for me it's L2+△) would be a good alternative.

Please don't get me wrong: DR have done an absolutely BANGING job in terms of time and copying the content over - even the bugs are the same as PC (the biome torch swap not working in the ocean for example). It's very clear that they're a capable and professional team who continually produce results, and they're a good match for RE-Logic.
If you were able to get some screenshots and/or photos from you and your friends who have this issue, along with display specs I'm sure it'd help the DR folks work out the issue. I know that even on PC "edge case" displays like mine have issues (though high resolution, high refresh rate displays are more and more common now).

What is the official defenition of late september? The end of "late september" is Sep 30 but is the start at 20, 22 or 25?
I imagine the whole point of not saying a date was to keep it a bit vague for some wiggle room - no point in saying it'll be the end of September, which is this date range. You'd just give a range at that point ;) . Rest assured it'll be as early in "late September" as is feasible!

Ohh sweet, I just skimmed through the main meat, and I am hyped for the update, it's mainly thanks to our man, Chippy that I've been kept in the loop about the updates, as for the release fair enough you want DR Studios to test run and try and find and quash any bugs and glitches that haven't already cropped up and been fixed, as for the release date, late September, huh neat, so if things are going to plan knock on wood, about a month away, I predict and this is just my personal opinion and not official I'd say between the 20th and 25th of September, £100 bet (not really betting thats a joke I don't gambling). But I kinda predicted it's be between September and October. No rush mind, doing the last minutes checks and QA is fine, I hope you guys can find and fix any last minute bug, if not then additional hotfixes are more than okay in my books.

On the Mobile version of Terraria, the in-game soundtrack is on the Mono Channel instead of the Stereo Channel (on PC the soundtrack is on the Stereo channel.), Will this be fixed in 1.4.4 so the Soundtrack plays on the Stereo Channel instead of the Mono Channel?
this is true

View attachment 381115
Now I know for a fact that this is new [right?], I occasional play with Controller! 🧐🍷

Is this image really suggesting that Controllers will have alt-Buttons!? If this is what I think it is, this is HUGE, I can finally play Terraria, Controller-only! Note: I would actually change [select] or [back button] to "[HOLD] More...", but I can only hope that these newer controls are highly customizable!

View attachment 381117
Also, are these Icons new, or are they some kind of unique features/ buttons for Console Users?
most of those buttons are on mobile, i think they are just adding them to console

get some screenshots and/or photos
That's the issue, when viewed on PC it's hard to see the difference. They'd have to play 1.3 + 1.4 next to one another each on their own 55" LG LED TV. But once they did, it would be obvious. If someone were to post a screenshot of an in-game item (with no UI etc. visible) I could tell you whether it was or wasn't PC, but not whether it was or wasn't console or mobile.

Please, what's the use of Labor of Love update when a lot of your Android Terrarians cannot install/update the game via Play Store? Please look into this problem that have existed for years.

Please, what's the use of Labor of Love update when a lot of your Android Terrarians cannot install/update the game via Play Store? Please look into this problem that have existed for years.

Can you provide a lot more detail there? Pretty sure it’s been available to the vast majority of players on Android have had no trouble with installs.

Device? OS? What precisely happens? Etc.

That's the issue, when viewed on PC it's hard to see the difference. They'd have to play 1.3 + 1.4 next to one another each on their own 55" LG LED TV. But once they did, it would be obvious. If someone were to post a screenshot of an in-game item (with no UI etc. visible) I could tell you whether it was or wasn't PC, but not whether it was or wasn't console or mobile.

I shared your post with DR - but really, having some specific examples would be best.

I certainly haven’t perceived the things you say on my TV here in the office during testing… but if there is something, I would like to understand it and see if there is some issue that can be resolved.

Can you provide a lot more detail there? Pretty sure it’s been available to the vast majority of players on Android have had no trouble with installs.

Device? OS? What precisely happens? Etc.

I shared your post with DR - but really, having some specific examples would be best.

I certainly haven’t perceived the things you say on my TV here in the office during testing… but if there is something, I would like to understand it and see if there is some issue that can be resolved.
I'll out some old clippings/videos on a stick and post them to you. I should warn you though, for some reason PS4 videos always start blurry for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom