Terraria State of the Game - August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's not impossible for previous generation consoles to get left behind, I feel like it's far more likely for the engine itself to reach it's limit first, especially considering that the engine seems to be getting stretched pretty thin now, and the previous generation consoles can still easily run the game unless you deliberately push it to the absolute max.

eh?

...oh, are you referring to PS4 as "previous gen"?

i keep forgetting we're technically in a new generation, cause the PS5 is IMPOSSIBLE to find... and has been since day one. :dryadindifferent:

Last edited:
eh?

i keep forgetting we're technically in a new generation, cause the PS5 is IMPOSSIBLE to find... and has been since day one. :dryadindifferent:

PS4 and Xbox One have been "last gen" for nearly 2 years now. Funny how time flies like that.

Xbox 360 had an 8 year run before Xbox One came out, and Xbox One had a 7 year run before Xbox Series S/X came out, so we are actually roughly 25-30% into the "current gen", if release windows stay more or less consistent.

eh?

Andrew started this game as a hobby and passion while learning about programming etc. Imagine if you will all the things he has learned about this process of developing a game not to mention regrets or shoulda woulda couldas. It will be best for us the players for him to see this through to its full potential. Imagine THEN the part 2 that will come from all of that. Quit worrying. Think about the bigger picture.

PS4 and Xbox One have been "last gen" for nearly 2 years now. Funny how time flies like that.

Xbox 360 had an 8 year run before Xbox One came out, and Xbox One had a 7 year run before Xbox Series S/X came out, so we are actually roughly 25-30% into the "current gen", if release windows stay more or less consistent.

i don't think i can consider us being in a new gen when the "current gen" is impossible to get your hands on, forcing sony to create more PS4s and making PS4 versions of all these games that were expected to be PS5 games... for two years.

you can't even just buy them on amazon... you have to REQUEST PERMISSION to get one. :dryadwhat:

Andrew started this game as a hobby and passion while learning about programming etc. Imagine if you will all the things he has learned about this process of developing a game not to mention regrets or shoulda woulda couldas. It will be best for us the players for him to see this through to its full potential. Imagine THEN the part 2 that will come from all of that. Quit worrying. Think about the bigger picture.

if the bigger picture involves console players being screwed over... how would that be a good thing?

especially if one of the things they wanna attempt is crossplay, in order to bring the community together more.

if i had some reassurance that we were in no danger of the updates reaching a point of not being able to be brought to consoles, then maybe i'd stop worrying.

i love terraria, i enjoy playing it... let's say, just for the sake of argument... 1.4.5 comes along, and that's it for console.

but they keep coming... then 1.5 comes along, and those on console never get to experience it.

crossplay is no longer possible, a chunk of the fanbase is left with nothing, the PC side just rubs it in our faces, making the forums not worth visiting, anymore.

i could never bring myself to play the game when a new update was out and we were playing catch-up, cause i just kept thinking of everything i wasn't able to experience, and it ruined the overall enjoyment of the game... so being UNABLE to get some updates would basically kill the game for me.

if that remained the norm, and i should always expect to be left behind cause i don't play on PC... why would i look forward to a sequel? :dryadsad:

Well knock yourself out with negativity then. I was just offering a positive outlook but I see you are not interested. I prefer NOT to be in the mindset of poor victim me especially when it is not even confirmed one way or the other yet.

if i had some reassurance that we were in no danger of the updates reaching a point of not being able to be brought to consoles, then maybe i'd stop worrying.
K.

Terraria is a 32-bit game. That means it is incapable of using up more than 4 gigabytes of memory.

Xbox One has 8 gigabytes of RAM, Playstation 4 has 8 gigabytes of RAM, and Switch has just 4 gigabytes of RAM but that's still enough.

As far as processing power goes, it's a bit of the same thing. Terraria is at its core a small indie game from 2011, meaning that it could run on computers that were not exactly brand-new in 2011 -- let's say from 2008 or so. True, the game has grown a lot since, but none of the updates have really upped the requirements. It's mostly the demand for RAM that has grown due to the increasing amount of entities (creatures, tiles, items, projectiles...) and their associated graphics.

By comparison, the 3DS had just 128 megabytes of RAM, the PS3 had 256 megabytes, the Xbox 360 had 512 megabytes, the PS Vita also had 512 megabytes, and the Wii U had 2 gigabytes.

So you can see why the old consoles ran into limits, the 3DS first stopping at the desktop equivalent of 1.2.1; the PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360, and Wii U stopping at desktop 1.2.4.1; but PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch are basically safe. Perhaps the Switch a bit less if Terraria were to grow to demand the whole of the 4 gigabytes it can use, since some of the memory is used by the operating system; but that seems unlikely.

K.

Terraria is a 32-bit game. That means it is incapable of using up more than 4 gigabytes of memory.

Xbox One has 8 gigabytes of RAM, Playstation 4 has 8 gigabytes of RAM, and Switch has just 4 gigabytes of RAM but that's still enough.

As far as processing power goes, it's a bit of the same thing. Terraria is at its core a small indie game from 2011, meaning that it could run on computers that were not exactly brand-new in 2011 -- let's say from 2008 or so. True, the game has grown a lot since, but none of the updates have really upped the requirements. It's mostly the demand for RAM that has grown due to the increasing amount of entities (creatures, tiles, items, projectiles...) and their associated graphics.

By comparison, the 3DS had just 128 megabytes of RAM, the PS3 had 256 megabytes, the Xbox 360 had 512 megabytes, the PS Vita also had 512 megabytes, and the Wii U had 2 gigabytes.

So you can see why the old consoles ran into limits, the 3DS first stopping at the desktop equivalent of 1.2.1; the PS3, PS Vita, Xbox 360, and Wii U stopping at desktop 1.2.4.1; but PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch are basically safe. Perhaps the Switch a bit less if Terraria were to grow to demand the whole of the 4 gigabytes it can use, since some of the memory is used by the operating system; but that seems unlikely.

so... what i'm getting from this is...

while unlikely, it's POSSIBLE the switch version may get screwed over, and that still falls within range of my concerns.

so i'll keep worrying, then.

Terraria ran on the 3DS up to version 1.2.1 with 128 megs. So you'd need to have about 32 times as much content as Terraria 1.2.1 + old exclusives (Ocram and co.) for it to become a problem.

Just for reference, Terraria 1.2.1 has 330 NPCs (+10 exclusives) and 1857 items (+up to about 80 exclusives). Terraria 1.4.3 is currently at 669 NPCs and 5124 items. There are other metrics one could look (like tiles, walls, and others) but I've only seen lists by versions for NPCs and items on the wiki. So we've got about doubled the amount of NPCs (a bit more than doubled when compared to PC 1.2.1, but a bit less when compared to 3DS version), and nearly-but-not-quite trebled the amount of items. We've still got quite a bit of room to grow before hitting a multiplication by 32.

As amusing as this all is, the important part is that it's now past 11 UTC, which is the same as 6 EST, so less than four hours remain.

I feel like at this rate Deniza (my mobile expert mage) will get to enjoy the update before any of my pc characters-
if that happens, Deniza will become an OC with no further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom