Terraria State of the Game: December 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying anything just stating facts, never saw my cats eat their own excrement, there are cases of dogs attacking people once per week in the news in my country and 2 months ago a baby got killed and one of the relatives who's a crazy doggo lover took the dog back. I won't argue anymore with dog lovers I have enough lazy neighbors who let their dogs bark the whole day until someone calls the police as a last resort before our heads explode. It's not even the dogs I hate but the owners 90% of the time for choosing such a terrible and dirty pet.

Lastly that if is irrelevant because cats ain't big.

Edit: I think it's going to be a while before you get your bunny...if you ever do. Maybe we'll learn more in the Jan SOTG!

I wonder if we'll get it soon or at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Delayed responses, post-holidays edition:

Was this in Bristol, UK? I'm certain I've been in front of that escape room set up...

It was in M-K I think.

It was Milton Keynes, UK actually and I can confirm it was an awesome escape room

Yes, that was it. Also, random side note... did my first escape room over the break with 4 adults and 4 kids - total chaos, but we made it with 4m to spare lol.

I've been wondering something. When split screen is ready, will it be considered a big enough feature to warrant it's own update? Or would it have to wait to be shipped along with whatever update that happens to be planned next like say 1.3.2

Just speaking for myself here - if Pipeworks showed up tomorrow and said "we have Splitscreen ready but no other content to go with it" (and that checked out on our testing), then I would 100% with no hesitation feel like that would be worthy to push out as a standalone.

Others internally may have other thoughts, so thus my caveat up front.

I still feel a bit annoyed how we have to wait over 2 years for an update and we are behind a platform that was introduced a few months back. Mobile is really behind.

That is because Switch is building from the existing console codebase - and 1.3.1 has been out on consoles for a good while. Mobile is trying to do something very different - the current indev update is another example of that. The launch brought content and capabilities not seen before - now the focus is on allowing a more customizable experience before the leap back into contenct again. Put another way, taking the time to get controller right, to get the customization options robust and hitting the mark for players is a really great step to take - even if that means a delay in the 1.3.X content (which would be what DR would have been working on if they just ignored the C+C update). Hang in there - in the long term, this is going to very much be for the best. :)

When can we release the Chinese version and fix the problem of archive disappearing

I know that bringing the DR version to China is being examined internally as we speak. I do not have a timeline as of yet to give you, sadly.

No mention of Terraria being on GOG's Christmas sale

There were like.... 5-10 overlapping and interwoven sales on various platforms during the holidays. Each of them had their own dates and we are not allowed to speak of them until they are live. I know we tried to put out a notice on social media whenever we had one - apologies if we missed one.

it looks like it's a vanity update

If by that you mean "its mostly a lot of vanity or furniture" - then no, I would not say that. Even from what we have shared publicly, it is pretty clear that JE goes way beyond that.... ;)

I hope you bring the old 1.2.4 controls as an option

Not really feasible. The old controls were simple - too simple to support the needed capabilities for 1.3 and beyond. That said, with the addition of legacy jump + autoswing options alongside the planned customization options coming in the in-progress C+C update, I think DR will effectively address your concerns and create a customizable experience that satisfies everyone. :)

Yes I miss the glow effect the old versions had too

Understandable - and it is unfortunate that mobile folks had years to get used to a broken mechanic like this. When I saw that my kids had placed like... no torches... in the cave systems on their worlds from years ago, it underscores the issue here. Light management/lighting is supposed to be part of the exploration dynamic of the game. This was effectively removed as a gameplay element on mobile because of the radioactive character glow. So - this is not coming back, I'm afraid. However, once you get a nice light pet, you will be back in a similar space at least.

I wonder if we'll get it soon or at the end of the month.

The SOTG is typically on a Friday in the last two weeks of the month. No date has been set for this month yet - as folks are just all getting back in the office across all of the various companies. :)

Ours was 16 seconds left on the clock; nerve-wracking.

Oh I thought we were done for - we actually opened the second door earlier than expected and that led to a LOT of confusion as we were not "ready/supposed" to be in there yet - so we were chasing clues for 4 steps ahead of where we were lol.... and with 4 kids in the mix, communication was hard. Still 10/10 experience, would do again.

What is SOTG??

This update def doesn't look like a "vanity update" even if you include furniture, painting and banners. From the spoilers I've only seen 57 + 19*5-8 depending on how they count lunar furniture. now that's about 50% of total item count seen in spoilers. This is with a 30 banners assumption and the items seen in spoilers are only short of half 800+

hope you had great holidays!

What is SOTG??

This update def doesn't look like a "vanity update" even if you include furniture, painting and banners. From the spoilers I've only seen 57 + 19*5-8 depending on how they count lunar furniture. now that's about 50% of total item count seen in spoilers. This is with a 30 banners assumption and the items seen in spoilers are only short of half 800+

hope you had great holidays!
SOTG = state of the game

If cats were the size of large dogs they would most certainly kill people.
Not to derail the thread even farther but I just wanted to state that there are plenty of larger cats ( caracals, servals, ocelots, jaguarundi for example) that don't attack humans at all. There's even larger cats like cheetah and snow leopards that are certainly big enough to kill people and they still don't. It's not the size of the cat, it's the instinct that matters. There's big cat programming and small cat programming and the common cat has small cat programming. Even if they were bigger they wouldn't be any more dangerous.

Not to derail the thread even farther but I just wanted to state that there are plenty of larger cats ( caracals, servals, ocelots, jaguarundi for example) that don't attack humans at all. There's even larger cats like cheetah and snow leopards that are certainly big enough to kill people and they still don't. It's not the size of the cat, it's the instinct that matters. There's big cat programming and small cat programming and the common cat has small cat programming. Even if they were bigger they wouldn't be any more dangerous.
Little cats attack people. I've been attacked by little cats. If the little cats were big cats they would have a higher atk stat and my HP would be closer to 0.

Oh hey, remember that magician killed by his tiger?

I still love cats. Looking forward to more cat news in the January state of the cat post.

You've admitted that you're going off topic here, yet you continue to do so - if you want to discuss this, please take it elsewhere whether it's DMs, a profile post or something off-topic.

Little cats attack people. I've been attacked by little cats. If the little cats were big cats they would have a higher atk stat and my HP would be closer to 0.

Oh hey, remember that magician killed by his tiger?

I still love cats. Looking forward to more cat news in the January state of the cat post.
Same to you, please continue the discussion elsewhere.

You guys can certainly continue this debate, just do it on the cats vs dogs thread
Please leave policing to the staff - if you notice something like this just report and move on, thanks.

Appearing for the first time in a couple of months... I have been so very distracted by stuff happening in other games (Borderlands 3 and especially Ark: Survival Evolved). I am finally dragging myself back toward Terraria so I can check out more of the 1.3.2-1.3.4 stuff I haven't yet.

Really looking forward to the crystal building materials and furniture in 1.3.5... I am going to have some fun with that. Also looking forward to being able to complete my developer vanity armor collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom