Terraria State of the Game - December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wholeheartedly agree. While it does suck that console has to wait longer, it’s better for a game (in our case an update) to be released finished rather than releasing it an utter mess.

Also, fingers crossed 1.4 fixes the Nebula set bonus glitch on switch.
An example of a game being rushed would be no man's sky. On launch, it was nothing like it was meant to be due to being rushed. Sure, it has now gotten updates and has gotten to where it was promised, but still.

An example of a game being rushed would be no man's sky. On launch, it was nothing like it was meant to be due to being rushed. Sure, it has now gotten updates and has gotten to where it was promised, but still.
Honestly No Mans Sky sits in a grey spot since it did the impossible and rebounded greatly, but this is a terraria thread so while I do agree with the overall point I understand why console players aren't extremely patient considering past updates

I would say we will at least have a better sense for "where we are" once more playtime is obtained. This Alpha build is the first one that RL will likely be spending some focused time with (tldr; there is no real point in doing a deep dive on early indev builds where things are constantly in flux and changing) - both for bugs and design calls. Over time, that will focus down to just bugs and performance checks (on top of the DR/505 QA efforts, of course). The holidays as always are a disruptive force (though a good one), but the teams are ready to get back at it here in 2021.

@Loki I am wondering, will the Switch Dye Glitch be fixed in an update prior to Journey's End, or will we have to wait until that comes to the Switch?

I have a real hankering to play Terraria again, but I don't want to play the Switch version until that particular issue is fixed. (I took some pride in making my characters, and they wouldn't look right without the dyes I used. I feel it is best to leave the dyes on until the glitch is fixed so I don't have to go through the effort of removing then reapplying the dyes.)

I do have that rather unique 3DS version if I really need to get my Terraria fix, but the 3DS (or rather, "new" 2DS XL) isn't something I pick up much anymore...

@Loki I am wondering, will the Switch Dye Glitch be fixed in an update prior to Journey's End, or will we have to wait until that comes to the Switch?

I have a real hankering to play Terraria again, but I don't want to play the Switch version until that particular issue is fixed. (I took some pride in making my characters, and they wouldn't look right without the dyes I used. I feel it is best to leave the dyes on until the glitch is fixed so I don't have to go through the effort of removing then reapplying the dyes.)

I do have that rather unique 3DS version if I really need to get my Terraria fix, but the 3DS (or rather, "new" 2DS XL) isn't something I pick up much anymore...
It’s gonna be fixed once 1.4 is released on switch.
Well that fix on 3ds doesnt even exist because no dyes are on 3ds(I have a 2ds)

It’s gonna be fixed once 1.4 is released on switch.
Well that fix on 3ds doesnt even exist because no dyes are on 3ds(I have a 2ds)
I am aware of the 3DS not having dyes (something about the system's mechanics). I am just saying that is what I may have to play until the Switch's Dye Glitch is resolved.

No Moon Lord, no Old One's Army, little summoning, DS controls (it's going to feel weird after using normal console controls for so long). There is some exclusive content I can dive into, at least.

A shame I may have to wait a few more months before getting back to the Switch version. Those darn glitch gremlins spoiled the fun this time, but I have faith the Terraria team can get rid of them. They have before.

I am aware of the 3DS not having dyes (something about the system's mechanics). I am just saying that is what I may have to play until the Switch's Dye Glitch is resolved.

No Moon Lord, no Old One's Army, little summoning, DS controls (it's going to feel weird after using normal console controls for so long). There is some exclusive content I can dive into, at least.

A shame I may have to wait a few more months before getting back to the Switch version. Those darn glitch gremlins spoiled the fun this time, but I have faith the Terraria team can get rid of them. They have before.
Something that might be best to do for now is to take a photo of your current dye loadout and vanity on the switch so you know what to put on in the future, take the dyes off and store them in a chest, and potentially find a vanity set that works well without dyes. I don't really see the point going back to the ds when that doesn't have dyes since your current issue with the switch is that dyes don't work.

Something that might be best to do for now is to take a photo of your current dye loadout and vanity on the switch so you know what to put on in the future, take the dyes off and store them in a chest, and potentially find a vanity set that works well without dyes. I don't really see the point going back to the ds when that doesn't have dyes since your current issue with the switch is that dyes don't work.
Damn shame that vanity bugs seems to fly out of no where every now and then flashbacks to the console mannequin bug which I don't think has been fixed could be wrong as these bugs kill me really messing with the game atm mostly because I've done all the prep work for 1.4 that I can and don't have any intent to play again until it drops on console but messing with all of the vanity and displaying it all was pretty fun when it wasn't hampered by bugs

Damn shame that vanity bugs seems to fly out of no where every now and then flashbacks to the console mannequin bug which I don't think has been fixed could be wrong as these bugs kill me really messing with the game atm mostly because I've done all the prep work for 1.4 that I can and don't have any intent to play again until it drops on console but messing with all of the vanity and displaying it all was pretty fun when it wasn't hampered by bugs
Yeah, the console versions are quite buggy. Hopefully DR will be able to fix that.

Yeah, the console versions are quite buggy. Hopefully DR will be able to fix that.
the only bug i've seen that's still in the game that's actually really irritating for me is the bug with crafting. if you try crafting a whole bunch of something very fast, it might just shut you out until you close and reopen the inventory.

i mean, sure, it only happens with autopause on, but it's still irritating having to switch autopause on and off when i want to craft a few thousand walling.

the only bug i've seen that's still in the game that's actually really irritating for me is the bug with crafting. if you try crafting a whole bunch of something very fast, it might just shut you out until you close and reopen the inventory.

i mean, sure, it only happens with autopause on, but it's still irritating having to switch autopause on and off when i want to craft a few thousand walling.
I primarily play splitscreen whenever I play console, and splitscreen is quite buggy. The QoL update that was released (I can't remember when it was) fixed some of it but it is still buggy.

I think it has some to do with not able to do something whilst throwing or using a weapon in inventory during autopause(like what you crafted, did it go into the world?

I think it has some to do with not able to do something whilst throwing or using a weapon in inventory during autopause(like what you crafted, did it go into the world?
nope, the items i craft still enter my inventory, but crafting stops dead, as if the game believes you've run out of materials, even when you haven't

I primarily play splitscreen whenever I play console, and splitscreen is quite buggy. The QoL update that was released (I can't remember when it was) fixed some of it but it is still buggy.
yea, that explains why i haven't seen many bugs, i never play splitscreen

Last edited:
Hello there, if i may ask, has DR Studios started with the Beta version of Terraria: Journeys End on consoles yet?
Technically Alpha is just a milestone. The work doesn't start or stop because of that, it's ongoing. Holidays have probably slowed things down a little though.
If you are indirectly asking whether there will be a public beta, that's rather unlikely. They have never done anything like that in the past. On console, the only ones who do public betas are those who work on massive multiplayer games. They do that primarily to test how much capacity they will need to purchase for the servers.

I understand your excitement though. :)

Btw I'm not affiliated with the developers in any way, I'm just a long-time resident here that has seen a lot of water flow under the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom