Terraria State of the Game - February 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like seeing progress being made on the Switch version. Have the PC release but just don’t get a lot of time to sit down and play on there. Would enjoy having it on Switch a lot. I hope there is a retail cartridge (physical) release too. If retail isn’t possible, I know there would be demand for it on the various Limited physical cartridge sellers.

Like seeing progress being made on the Switch version. Have the PC release but just don’t get a lot of time to sit down and play on there. Would enjoy having it on Switch a lot. I hope there is a retail cartridge (physical) release too. If retail isn’t possible, I know there would be demand for it on the various Limited physical cartridge sellers.

There is. In my country I pre-ordered it a long time ago. :)

Terraria 1.3 Mobile will come on June 30 2019 ?

Wait, really? Where did you see that?

It’s an assumption. That’s the date 1.3 came out on PC. Please don’t take it seriously.

It should be out near then, they really are done with most (or all) of the end-game items (shown in pictures) so they are just bug patching and modifying some items like controls.
This is also an assumption. Problems can come up that delay things. Plus some pictures of end game items doesn't mean much. Game development is not a linear thing where you work on the beginning and save end game content for last.

No ur all wrong 1.3 is on 2024, because they keep changing developers.
Generally speaking, the more people working on a project, the faster it gets done. Although I’m sure this explanation is wasted energy as I’m sure you only make your account to complain. :rolleyes:

Not wanting to be a 1.3 mobile beggar, but...
Isn’t it ironic that switch will get 1.3 before mobile? xD
Not entirely. The Switch is a single piece of hardware. One set of specs with a single OS. So developing for it means only testing against a single system.

Mobile is a blanket term for tablets, phones, and some kinds of laptops. Multiple OSs and a ridiculous number of different hardware specs. And unlike PC you can't always run an abstraction layer over everything and call it a day.

It's not surprising that so many hurdles have gotten in the way of porting 1.3 to the platform. Mobile development has come a long way, but it's still not perfect.

This is also an assumption. Problems can come up that delay things. Plus some pictures of end game items doesn't mean much. Game development is not a linear thing where you work on the beginning and save end game content for last.
All we really can do is assume and estimate when it will be out till devs tell us, but your definitely right, as there always are some problems.

On console, anyone on your friends list who has Terraria can join if you load your world in multiplayer. Unfortunately, someone at Pipeworks bleeped up, because anyone on your friend's friends list who has Terraria can also join. And their friends. And their friends' friends. And there is no way to kick unwanted intruders out of the game.

If Pipeworks is working on the Switch version it'll probably have the same problem

This is less of a PW "bleep up" and more of a "the way MP was handled in the backend on PS4/XB1 changed over time, and the 1.3 update was not allowed to be grandfathered into the old ways". Now, regardless of the "why", it is indeed an issue that needs addressing - I know PW has a plan for that, but I'm not sure its in the next wave (1.3.1, etc) that is imminent/in final testing now.

For Switch, Nintendo MP works VERY differently than other platforms in many ways (as Switch owners likely know), and for Terraria, the safest way to be able to have a "private" lobby is to allow for the option for them to be password-protected (so only someone with the password you set could join your room/game). They would also be limited to your friends list, etc. That is the current plan, to have that in place at launch - there is always a chance something could go awry or there could be some technical issue with how that interacts with Switch's core systems... but that is at least the plan.

Oh goody, this is something I did not know. I don't often play online multi-player, and just assumed that you could only wi-fi with someone in your friends list.

...Although I seem to remember something like this happening on Portal Knights on Switch...

Anyway, this is another worry since I'm planning on roping in some friends, and I'm assuming I'll have a Nintendo Online Subscription by the time Terraria is released.

Not entirely. The Switch is a single piece of hardware. One set of specs with a single OS. So developing for it means only testing against a single system.

Mobile is a blanket term for tablets, phones, and some kinds of laptops. Multiple OSs and a ridiculous number of different hardware specs. And unlike PC you can't always run an abstraction layer over everything and call it a day.

It's not surprising that so many hurdles have gotten in the way of porting 1.3 to the platform. Mobile development has come a long way, but it's still not perfect.

Dear Moon Lord, you've brought back some nightmares of when I was a game tester. I hated testing mobile games and remember having several different phones on the go at once. :nurserolleyes:

You should release beta version of mobile and that could help in progression of terraria mobile a lot to you
If they were to release a beta version it would most likely have bugs in the entire beta. I doubt they would release it as it’s kind of disturbing the development process for people who have been waiting for years for this update. This also ruins the excitement. If someone was too release a beta it would unofficial or not verified by the original developers of the game.
[doublepost=1552272167,1552272106][/doublepost]
If they were to release a beta version it would most likely have bugs in the entire beta. I doubt they would release it as it’s kind of disturbing the development process for people who have been waiting for years for this update. This also ruins the excitement. If someone was too release a beta it would unofficial or not verified by the original developers of the game.
Also, if they were to release a beta, it would take a while before it’s released and the ACTUAL update would be out before you know it. It’s called patience....

0ZNMSK8.gif

*Quietly leaves this link here.*

Just... consider it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom