Terraria State of the Game: February 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have registered just to tell you guys about my guess about the thing that "will change the way a lot of players approach some core aspects of the game".

I've made a suggestion here on forums many years ago and it was basically about having doors that lead to other areas of the world. Not side doors that you build inside of walls, but more like background objects doors, where you see their front side. My guess that some of those doors will be also locked and you'll have to find special keys for them first which just like other treasures maybe somewhat similar to other keys that are already in the game. I'm thinking special areas or just treasure rooms, or small events rooms with enemies or traps hallways, things like that.

And just my imagination tells me that those areas behind the doors could also lead to not only closed areas, but probably also other open areas as some kind of world's layers. Take some mushroom biome you find underground and it has a small background cave entrance where you might proceed and find yourself in the same biome, except having different area around you.

To be honest that's the only thing I could think of that would advance the known gameplay experience while not really hurting other core areas of the game.

What do you guys think?

Edit:
I've created a thread to discuss it:

.. I'm intrigued, but apprehensive.

Changing core aspects of your game eight years into its lifespan is a very, very risky maneuver, and it has an extremely high chance of backfiring - especially when there's no real way of obtaining older versions of the game and running those if you preferred an older build.

I have faith in Re-Logic as a dev team to not screw this up, and I assume you all know the risks involved... But I can't help but want to share potential concern anyway. A lot of the appeal in Terraria for me is how utterly simple some of the underlying core mechanics are once you get past all the fluff, and I'm deathly afraid of games I enjoy leaving me behind from one or two mechanical changes totally changing things up.
If something changes the game so fundamentally that my creature comforts and usual playstyle are no longer even viable rather than just optional, it'll be more annoying than anything. If it's IN ADDITION to the current viable playstyles, I don't really see any harm in it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would only consider them adding something to extend the existing experience or some major change that's basically quality of life in its core.

Doubt they could make the door thing work.

That sort of thing was big back in the old days though.

Super Mario Bros 2 used it.
Zelda 2 had it.
Likely numerous other 2D games used it.

I think Starbound has it as well in places.

Yeaaah I mean it feels way too out of left field to be quite honest, belongs more in a mod than in vanilla Terraria, also feels like a direct rip off those big ol' gates you find underground in Starbound like @Crysis pointed out.
Honestly the promise of changing "some core aspects of the game" feels empty and I'm thinking why not just put them in another game...oh wait. -_-

Honestly the promise of changing "some core aspects of the game" feels empty and I'm thinking why not just put them in another game...oh wait. -_-

Oh- BURN!

... In all honesty, I don't get a vindictive feeling of satisfaction from berating or belittling the devs. Despite my harsh criticisms, I actually have a lot of respect for all these folks. My issue has always come down to how they communicate, and how they plan. With Journey's End, they STILL didn't learn their lesson; making grand promises and then falling through on them. They did it with Otherworld, and then with Journey's End. Now I'm just waiting for the day where they do it again and say "Welp, looks like J.E's done for. I'm sure we'll learn a lot from this in the future... again. For, like, real this time!"

Maybe instead of making promises they won't commit to, why don't they just STFU and stick to keeping an active presence in the community? None of this Promise-then-Silence garbo they seem so keen on sticking to.

Oh- BURN!

... In all honesty, I don't get a vindictive feeling of satisfaction from berating or belittling the devs. Despite my harsh criticisms, I actually have a lot of respect for all these folks. My issue has always come down to how they communicate, and how they plan. With Journey's End, they STILL didn't learn their lesson; making grand promises and then falling through on them. They did it with Otherworld, and then with Journey's End. Now I'm just waiting for the day where they do it again and say "Welp, looks like J.E's done for. I'm sure we'll learn a lot from this in the future... again. For, like, real this time!"

Maybe instead of making promises they won't commit to, why don't they just STFU and stick to keeping an active presence in the community? None of this Promise-then-Silence garbo they seem so keen on sticking to.

Dunno what to tell you, guy. We're literally working on J.E. every day. There's no reason we can foresee why we would cancel it, the content already in is great.

As for active, I'm not sure what else you want us to do! We do regular status updates, albeit brief. No, we don't want to spoil more info. You guys will just have to wait; if the solution is spoil more, then I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that isn't our game plan. We are keeping lines of communication open, but we're throttling the spoilers to save some actual excitement for release. :)

Dunno what to tell you, guy. We're literally working on J.E. every day. There's no reason we can foresee why we would cancel it, the content already in is great.

As for active, I'm not sure what else you want us to do! We do regular status updates, albeit brief. No, we don't want to spoil more info. You guys will just have to wait; if the solution is spoil more, then I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that isn't our game plan. We are keeping lines of communication open, but we're throttling the spoilers to save some actual excitement for release. :)
Leinfors you are a F-ing god.

Hmmm I'd like to rephrase what I said here in a more positive and honest manner:
Terraria is my favorite game of all time and my Steam profile is literally littered with all sorts of Terraria-related stuff. The dev team is rather small and it is truly impressive and certainly commendable how they are able to take criticisms, respond to them honestly, and continue to act in the community on a nearly daily basis, heck they even started the weekly streams (which I love)!
That being said, I'm honestly just excitably scared that they are planning on changing "core aspects" of the game because I already love all the mechanics as is (perhaps we are too worried about the use of diction?).
I'm being a hypocrite by feeding into the monthly whining about the States of the Game whilst also thinking "Jeez can these people just let up and be thankful?" And for that I apologize.
Still luv ya Terraria and Team :pinky: And I'm sure even the people complaining do as well, perhaps it is just a fearful concern for the future seeing as (from our point of view) some things are not going as planned.

Okay, gotta be fair here, you're right- I should've thought more closely on what I said about their/your presence in the community, y'all're actually doing that now; and that should be acknowledged. I guess I'm still just hung up on what was going on during Otherworld Dev, which let's face it, there were months with radio silence. I can't continue to beat a dead horse over Otherworld, so I'll just move on. It's just very easy to reference when a lot of what was done wrong during the Dev can be seen in the last few months regarding J.E.

Also, calm your tatas, I don't care for spoilers. I'm the kind of person who will run screaming from a room to avoid watching a commercial for an upcoming movie I'm interested in. So, not my Coffee, not my Creamer.

Also, not a criticism but a possibly helpful hint, I'd stick to using more gender-neutral honorifics+. Such as 'Dude' (let's face it, no one says 'Dudette'), or some other interesting version. Like "What up, my Coffee Mug!", or "Dunno what to tell you, Java." I only say 'cause I've been using GN's at work to great success; also not a 'guy'. You meet a 6' tall man built like a freight train named Sarah after calling them 'Ms.' in every correspondence, and you'll suddenly wish the English language wasn't so hard over gender specifics. XD

Last bit: Calm down there, Young Link. Your fandom is showing, and it's a little creepy. o.=.o

To be fair, leinfors isn't part of the team who works on switch :p
To be fair, still not a god. If a "God" then it wouldn't matter what team they're on...it would be done.

I'm still mad at 505 because I believe they're partially responsible for eShop and other retailers advertising a feature that was NOT actually in the game.

505, PW, relogic. All of them have failed. There are no "gods" among them.

To be fair, still not a god. If a "God" then it wouldn't matter what team they're on...it would be done.

I'm still mad at 505 because I believe they're partially responsible for eShop and other retailers advertising a feature that was NOT actually in the game.

Leinfors is a god what r u talkin about bro

I can understand your viewpoint. I was less calling him a god and more defending the fact that he (and most others at re-logic, except probably red and cenx) don't really have any influence whatsoever on the ports, as they are different dev teams.

I don't understand you blaming literally every dev team for the fact that you don't have local multiplayer when literally only pipeworks is responsible :p

You know what I'm surprised we haven't seen in Terraria?

Salt.

It's a mineral like any other, but I bet there could be great use for that as an item. OH!! Also, wouldn't it be neat if the "core changes" they were doing were to involve other challenges to the game, such as hunger, heat and cold, and more? Then we could mine the forums to get all the Salt we need, 'cause this be a quarry of salt, yo!

No, we don't want to spoil more info. You guys will just have to wait; if the solution is spoil more, then I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that isn't our game plan. We are keeping lines of communication open, but we're throttling the spoilers to save some actual excitement for release.
See, that's good, open-ended development. I respect that, I enjoy that. That's how I handle things. I understand it.

The problem is that, collectively, as a team, you are a little too secretive about some things when they really, really should not be kept secret. It's okay when it comes to a case of "we literally do not have the answers" and you tell us that. But this little bit back in the opening post is something I still wonder about daily.

We managed to sneak word out from the top secret Terraria labs that the team has been working on something mysterious - which, if the rumors are true, supposedly will change the way a lot of players approach some core aspects of the game.

I don't know, the whole thing sounds rather suspicious to me... what could this possibly be and what could it mean?
I do not wonder about this for good reasons.

Like, yes - I understand. You want it to sound mysterious and exciting. And it does! It's very mysterious!

But for many people, myself included, the excitement a statement like this provides is not a good kind of excitement. It is anxiety. We do not know what to expect, and if you're going to change up core aspects of your game nine years into its lifespan, without providing a way for players to continue to play older versions of your game if you want, then...

Wouldn't it be best to ask the community for feedback on your planned core changes? What if it's a change that, by and large, the players feel was for the worse?

Once again, I do not have my doubts that the development team will do a good job. I don't expect it to be something meme-y like enemy mobs being able to destroy structures like in the much older days.

But I, much like many players here, including scores of people much better at the game than I am, want to know what it is.

We want to be able to give feedback on it. We want to share our concerns. We want to be able to help. We want to see Terraria be the best game it can possibly be.

But you all, collectively, want to remain secretive and conservative about sharing information after what happened with Otherworld, in case something falls through, which is a fair stance to take.

I, personally, am fine with the amount we've heard about 1.4 thus far. I'm waiting patiently!

Just... Please, please meet us halfway here. Let us know something about these "core" aspect changes. Don't treat something so potentially major as the same kind of "ooh, aaaahhh" mystery that a new boss or shiny new weapon's drop location would be.

And if it's not as potentially major as I think it is from the sounds of it... Please don't word things to make them sound like a bigger deal than they are.

Regardless of anything that happens, though... Those of us here truly do appreciate these updates, as little or "insubstantial" as some people may like to say they are from time to time. I'm sure you know this, but the loudest of us in these threads don't post out of hatred or malice - it's out of passion for this wacky little game.

... Meh. This is getting kind of stream of consciousness-y at this point. If you read this all the way through... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom