Terraria State of the Game: February 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, add a option for chance the see or not see the armor and accessories
Visibility of accessories can be toggled individually, there's a little '+' next to each slot.

You can equip the Familiar Set as vanity to hide the armor. It will show the original character view.

Why has it been 7 months since mobile content was released and the only updates mobile has had are bug fixes? I think the controller function is great and all, but I would much rather get content updates. Wasn’t the plan to keep Switch and Mobile versions releasing at the same time?

I own the PC version, but due to issues with my immune system attacking my peripheral nerves, I lack the dexterity to play on PC and must rely on mobile for content.

Is there a planned release of updates for mobile that will at least bring it to where Switch is now?

Please don’t reply and use words like “soon” or “later”, those terms are useless and uninformative. Quarter and year or month and year would be preferable.

Thank you kindly for information shared.
I feel they are being a little more careful with exact or even approximate time-frames based on their... previous shortcomings... in that department.

Just... Please, please meet us halfway here. Let us know something about these "core" aspect changes. Don't treat something so potentially major as the same kind of "ooh, aaaahhh" mystery that a new boss or shiny new weapon's drop location would be.

Will just say that the people assuming its some sort of "ok this is no longer Terraria anymore" changes are WAY off base. Just take a step back (collectively) and try not to assume the worst in all things. ;)

I blame them all because they should hold each other accountable.

In what ways other than we already have would you like us to do so (speaking from a RL perspective)? I don't say that with any level of snark, so don't take it that way. :)
  • Spend countless hours testing and providing feedback (even though we are a tiny team and thus, personal resources are very limited) = check
  • Point out and push for big things that need to be covered off on a weekly basis? (like splitscreen, performance, and stability) = check
  • Check for progress on said things on a weekly basis? = check
  • Make it clear that the whole SS situation (and performance in general) needs to get sorted ASAP and its not a good thing that it hasn't been? = check
  • Flag every example to 505 Games where SS, etc is on a store page, point out the unacceptable nature of said errors on their part? = checkl
If you don't think RL is "keeping the priorities and pressure on", you are quite mistaken. However, at the same time, none of us have any experience coding, etc on Switch. So, when PW (whom DOES have said experience) shares that it will be an altogether more stable process in the long run to get content in and then hardcore focus on SS/perf(because doing otherwise could risk a cycle of fix-break-fix-break with each update) AND they know far more about the hardware in question than we do, then yeah... you take that under serious advisement.

I mean short of demanding that "heads roll" (if that is what you are suggesting, which would be very short-sighted), I'm not sure what else I (or Leinfors) can do to "hold PW accountable".

I think we have been very forthcoming with contrition and the push to get things right on the Switch SS front for a while now - even though we cannot do anything personally/directly to sort it out. I get the frustration, as I've said before, and I think it is well-founded - however, also as I have said before, we are doing all that we can from the RL side to get that sorted out in the most speedy way, while also doing so in a way that doesn't just break more things.

Why does controller support is taking so long? It sad that Switch is almost have 1.3.5 while our mobile have no nothing since November.

Because rewriting a ton of UI (essentially making two UIs to support now), and building a whole new gamepad experience that isn't just "let's slap on gamepad" and is mindful of mobile players as well as those coming from console/PC takes time to do right.

Oh, and then there are also all of those customizations that are still in process.

Switch got 1.3.X content faster because it branches directly from the console codebase... so once PS4/XB1 had that content in, it is FAR easier to just move it over - as contrasted with Mobile, where everything is new.

Now, that said - obviously, everyone knows folks want more content - and that is going to be the focus once C+C comes out. We will dive into those details when the time comes...

Kind of weird if Terraria split screen ends up being not do-able, though, considering the Switch has a few split-screen games (MK8Deluxe, off the top of my head). I know comparing MK8 to Terraria is like comparing apples to pencils, but still.

As I've shared before, SS EXISTS on Switch Terraria (I have played it myself) - the performance is just subpar in terms of FPS, input lag, etc. Perhaps we should have just rolled that out to show "progress" and then weather the complaints about said performance (I'm being at least half sarcastic there... but the other half? Who knows?)

Why has it been 7 months since mobile content was released and the only updates mobile has had are bug fixes? I think the controller function is great and all, but I would much rather get content updates. Wasn’t the plan to keep Switch and Mobile versions releasing at the same time?

Because mobile - when it released 1.3 - was a brand new thing from the ground up. What does that have to do with anything? Well, brand new things are expected potentially to have more fix rounds at release. Couple that with mobile being the most tricky due to the sheer number of hardware scenarios and a desire to make things as right for as many people as possible, and that was your first couple of months. Then you had the dev team at DR taking a bit of rest (which had all been deferred during the entire year of development on mobile) followed by the usual disruptions that the Holidays provide... and then you have the team working on the C+C update.

After that, we made a commitment to the community to do two things for the foundational experience before moving on to more content:
  • Gamepad support - done in the right way
  • Enhanced customization of virtual controls because it is clear that there is not "one way" that everyone enjoys and we do not want the controls to hamper anyone's experience
Put those together and you get a very solid foundation that (within reason) let's mobile Terrarians do things their way while setting pieces in place in anticipation of future content. Trying to slap that on after content would both take longer and go back on that promise.

As for "giving a specific quarter where X content will be released" - I don't have that to give you. Only that, as above, the order of operations will be "content" after C+C is done. What form that will take, we will get into that once C+C is out. I know that won't be what you want to hear, but that is the literal state of things right this second.

Will just say that the people assuming its some sort of "ok this is no longer Terraria anymore" changes are WAY off base. Just take a step back (collectively) and try not to assume the worst in all things. ;)
I mean, you do have to admit that what was a very vague statement about core aspects changing can lead pretty easily into such assumptions. I'm speaking primarily for myself, but when it comes to finding out about "big" changes like that, I'd either like to know what the change is so I can prepare for it, or I'd like to just not know it's coming so that I can be pleasantly surprised.

I don't expect anything crazy like how some people are apparently wanting a hunger system (which we have, it's called the Well Fed buff) or tool endurance for.. some reason? I'll take you at your word, though. I'll withhold judgements (and likely avoid speculation) until we see what it is, and I'm positive nothing bad will come of it - change is just a frightening concept this late into the game's lifespan.

... As long as lava doesn't start burning wood structures.

Then I'll have some very choice, sternly-expressed words for you all.

I swear, some people are probably expecting RLcraft levels of nonsense because they know nothing but pure fear and meme difficulty...

In what ways other than we already have would you like us to do so (speaking from a RL perspective)? I don't say that with any level of snark, so don't take it that way. :)
  • Spend countless hours testing and providing feedback (even though we are a tiny team and thus, personal resources are very limited) = check
  • Point out and push for big things that need to be covered off on a weekly basis? (like splitscreen, performance, and stability) = check
  • Check for progress on said things on a weekly basis? = check
  • Make it clear that the whole SS situation (and performance in general) needs to get sorted ASAP and its not a good thing that it hasn't been? = check
  • Flag every example to 505 Games where SS, etc is on a store page, point out the unacceptable nature of said errors on their part? = checkl
If you don't think RL is "keeping the priorities and pressure on", you are quite mistaken. However, at the same time, none of us have any experience coding, etc on Switch. So, when PW (whom DOES have said experience) shares that it will be an altogether more stable process in the long run to get content in and then hardcore focus on SS/perf(because doing otherwise could risk a cycle of fix-break-fix-break with each update) AND they know far more about the hardware in question than we do, then yeah... you take that under serious advisement.

I mean short of demanding that "heads roll" (if that is what you are suggesting, which would be very short-sighted), I'm not sure what else I (or Leinfors) can do to "hold PW accountable".

You're right, you've done a lot to hold others accountable. Sadly it just doesn't seem to be yielding the desired results. Hindsight is 20/20. There can be accountability but it doesn't undo what was done. The only option now is to trek down to hell and toss a doll into the lava. Letting heads roll is short sighted. Then again, execution of the switch port was short sighted so maybe it's fitting.

A few questions...

How is splitscreen coming along? It wasn't mentioned at all in this SOTG unless I missed it.

Also, is there a thread that might instruct me on how to change my user name to "ridiculous baby"?

Last edited:
Also, is there a thread that might instruct me on how to change my user name to "ridiculous baby"?
Well, I mean, you probably were joking, but I can provide instructions anyway :p:
  1. Click your username in the upper right corner.
  2. Click "Account Details"
  3. Click the "Change" button next to your username. It's the option at the very top of the page, you can't miss it.

this is unrelated, but I'd like to get a complete system specs recommendation for mobile (i play on an amazon fire tablet and recommended specs list for amazon devices hasn't been posted). this list would look something like the ones used for PC games. Also i think i't would be cool if radar showed detected rare creatures on the mini map.

this is unrelated, but I'd like to get a complete system specs recommendation for mobile (i play on an amazon fire tablet and recommended specs list for amazon devices hasn't been posted). this list would look something like the ones used for PC games. Also i think i't would be cool if radar showed detected rare creatures on the mini map.
Minimum specs for Amazon devices were posted here: Mobile Terraria 1.3 Launches on Amazon Today! (they are in a spoiler, click on the button to reveal it).

Can y’all add server support on the Switch, Xbox One and PS4. It really need more options to play with your friends other than they having to own the same console than you.

Can y’all add server support on the Switch, Xbox One and PS4. It really need more options to play with your friends other than they having to own the same console than you.
Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony don't allow this at the present time for the vast majority of games.

That's a real bummer for many games. Isn't that quite expensive to implement anyway?
I'm sure there is some cost involved in setting up and maintaining servers. The real impediment though is that Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony are closed systems - they don't really allow "their" players to interact with players from the other groups (or with PC/mobile gamers). It's as much a competition issue as it is technological. There are some exceptions - Minecraft is often pointed to as to why Terraria should have crossplay - but those are one-off situations. There is no core functionality in any of the three console systems to allow crossplay outside the respective player networks.

I'm sure there is some cost involved in setting up and maintaining servers. The real impediment though is that Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony are closed systems - they don't really allow "their" players to interact with players from the other groups (or with PC/mobile gamers). It's as much a competition issue as it is technological. There are some exceptions - Minecraft is often pointed to as to why Terraria should have crossplay - but those are one-off situations. There is no core functionality in any of the three console systems to allow crossplay outside the respective player networks.

Oooh....I didn't realize he was asking specifically for crossplay. My mistake.

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony don't allow this at the present time for the vast majority of games.
Minecraft is one who even has a server. Also not a lot of games have server support anyways. So that still doesn’t excuse the developers to not add them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom