Terraria State of the Game - January 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just health and damage increases, nothing special so far.
To be clear, that's just known information - lots of people are assuming that ReLogic have spoiled everything about it but remember that they are pretty good at surprising people on release day.

(Don't take this as me saying that there is more, I just want people to not spread things as if they're known to be the truth.)

Last edited:
You scared me for a second, I thought I posted something wrong :dryadcry:

But you're right, we don't know everything so far, but from what we've seen and the discord messages it is likely there won't be much more. (But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with tons of new content for it)

Last edited:
You scared me for a second, I thought I posted something wrong :dryadcry:
But you're right, we don't know everything so far, but from what we've seen and the discord messages it is likely there won't be much more. (But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us with tons of new content for it)
;( I'm sad that people assume I'm about to tell them off - maybe I need to hang out a bit more haha!

Just think about how little we actually knew of 1.3 and 1.2 before they released...

For those complaining about Master mode, don’t forget about the rest of the update. You will have plenty of new mechanics and items to play with, even though they aren’t exclusive to Master mode. Master mode is good for those who want an extra challenge while they try out the new content, and the main update and master mode should fit together quite nicely.

You need to update your signature... maybe directly change it to 11 months to save some effort... still have started the game once and in between removed it to get space for stuff that we can play coop... money for nothing... disappointing...

Yeah good idea. So mad I spent $30 on this rushed port that STILL doesn't have split screen. TBH though if you search the forums for switch topics it seems that the game is in rough shape even with just single player. I think it will be a long time before we get a well functioning split screen.

Yeah good idea. So mad I spent $30 on this rushed port that STILL doesn't have split screen. TBH though if you search the forums for switch topics it seems that the game is in rough shape even with just single player. I think it will be a long time before we get a well functioning split screen.
And Two Bugs That Have Been Present Since 1.3.1 Still Haven't Been Fixed. I've Just Stopped Playing The Game Until They Get Fixed. `:indifferent:

What I don't like the most about this update is the fact that the last time we had a full update was 5 years ago (1.3), and so far what they revealed about 1.4 isn't even close to what 1.3, 1.2 or 1.1 were, and those took about 2 years to release.

Considering that we don't know all the content that will be in 1.4, it's a bit strange to say that it won't be close to the size of those releases.

In the grand scheme of things, 1.1 wasn't really that big. It gave us all of hardmode, but it did almost nothing for pre-hardmode. Overall, it gave us wiring, 3 new bosses, and a couple new biomes.

1.2 was bigger, in terms of how much it changed the world. But even then, 1.2 by itself wasn't all that big. It gave us alternative things: different ore variations, an alternate version of the Corruption, an alternative version of the Underground (ice), and so forth. It gave us new visuals and painting, of course. It gave us early-game magic items, sure. 1.2 went wide with options, but it didn't really extend the endgame all that much. It gave us a couple of post-Mechanical bosses, those Biome Chests, and one end-game ore. It was only the later updates to 1.2 that gave us the many post-Plantera options like the Pumpkin Moon, Duke Fishron, etc.

1.3 was probably the biggest single update, giving us lots of stuff in every corner of the game: new bosses, new mini-biomes, a couple invasions, even more wiring options, and even more end-game gear.

Yes, 1.4 probably won't be as world-changing as 1.3. But neither was 1.2 and definitely not 1.1. Even just looking at what's already been spoiled, 1.4 is going to be more significant of an update than 1.1. Given the long time it's been in development, you may have forgotten just how much stuff will be in 1.4. Check out that Terraria Wiki page to refresh your recollection; it's probably more than you think.

The other thing you have to contend with is the fact that Terraria... is pretty full. 1.3.5 is a game absolutely overflowing with options from beginning to end. We have all kinds of weapons, armors with numerous effects, accessories for days, wiring options, and so many biomes that small world generation can barely give them enough room to breathe. There's just not all that much room for more stuff. This goes even moreso once you decide that there can't be post-Moon Lord content.

So what's left? A few new biomes, a major interface change (block-swap), adding a few bosses here and there, and smoothing out the item progression from beginning to end.

Also, the last time we had any update at all, even it being content not that relevant, was 2017, 3 years ago.
I don't know what is going on with Re-Logic, love the game since 2012, but overall 1.4 just seem lacking and disappointing for the amount of time they have been developing it.

What's going on with Re-Logic is that they tried to make a new game, and it didn't work out for various reasons. Even though they hired on other people to make the game, overseeing them took up time and effort that couldn't go into 1.3.6. If everything had worked out as planned, we would have had 1.3.6 and Terraria: Otherworld to play. But because it didn't work out, we have neither.

Last edited:
To be clear, that's just known information - lots of people are assuming that ReLogic have spoiled everything about it but remember that they are pretty good at surprising people on release day.

(Don't take this as me saying that there is more, I just want people to not spread things as if they're known to be the truth.)
If they didn't want master mode to seem like just a stat boost though, why post the video then? In my opinion it almost seems like they did it so that they didn't directly say it themselves because they know people would be upset.

If they didn't want master mode to seem like just a stat boost though, why post the video then? In my opinion it almost seems like they did it so that they didn't directly say it themselves because they know people would be upset.
Exactly my thoughts, while the video is taking a comment and saying "but who know's maybe it could be different!", the fact that they are actually posting this video feels like an easy way to let the community down without us throwing more rocks at them because they are admitting its true.
(I still love you though Terraria, you have given me and others so many fun times but idk if I would've preferred no Master Mode at all and just more time thinking about something more important than +30% stat increases for everything...)

Also to the people complaining about the State of the Game things not being State of the Game for the month it actually is, its a spoiler most of us have already seen, but it technically is what happened this month so -shrug- .
Plus we got more spoilers in the actual banner of this post.

The other thing you have to contend with is the fact that Terraria... is pretty full. 1.3.5 is a game absolutely overflowing with options from beginning to end. We have all kinds of weapons, armors with numerous effects, accessories for days, wiring options, and so many biomes that small world generation can barely give them enough room to breathe. There's just not all that much room for more stuff.

To be honest I'm more excited about the little changes than the addition of new content. I also think the game is very full - it's out of control just how much you have to keep tabs on, there are so many options it gives me an aneurysm at times.

Na, I'm looking forward to the new backgrounds, weather effects, re-balancing, the worldgen overhaul, hopefully some new audio, NPCs crapping on the loo (I'm a simple man), and a few little surprises here and there - it will put the fun back in exploration and living in the world.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm more excited about the little changes than the addition of new content. I also think the game is very full - it's out of control just how much you have to keep tabs on, there are so many options it gives me an aneurysm at times.

Na, I'm looking forward to the new backgrounds, weather effects, re-balancing, the worldgen overhaul, hopefully some new audio, NPCs crapping on the loo (I'm a simple man), and a few little surprises here and there - it will put the fun back in exploration and living in the world.

Apparently the npcs poopin' it up was just a gag and isn't a real feature in 1.4. 😓

I wish we could stop with this charade of "state of the game" for PC and just admit there's nothing to report. The information has been extraneous filler for many months and if you want people to stop complaining about 1.4 being pushed back you should stop rubbing it in their faces every month.

And of course if this master mode "reveal" turns out to be all there is to it I will be beyond disgusted considering how much emphasis was put on this mode in the trailer. Regardless I'll try to stay optimal and assume 1.4 will be near the level of polish expected.

Last edited:
I wish we could stop with this charade of "state of the game" for PC and just admit there's nothing to report. The information has been extraneous filler for many months and if you want people to stop complaining about 1.4 being pushed back you should stop rubbing it in their faces every month.

And of course if this master mode "reveal" turns out to be all their is to it I will be beyond disgusted considering how much emphasis was put on this mode in the trailer. Regardless I'll try to stay optimal and assume 1.4 will be near the level of polish expected.

The every-month thing is justifiable. It's nice to, especially considering the timespan this takes to make, get an update on how things are and not sit and arbitrarily wait for who-knows-how-long without any updates on whether the project is even alive or not. Throughout the indie gaming industry there's been too much vaporware, concern for delay, and other issues, and it's nice to actually be able to tell that progress is being made.

What I will support you on, however, is the following:

* Yes, the emphasis on Master Mode is a bit sore considering how little that mode currently seems to do. It should be more meaningful than that, and warrant itself more than simply unequipping your armor for the same effect.
* There hasn't been that much to report indeed, and we've been getting mostly repeats of past spoilers and reassurances of progress.

I do think the reassurances of progress are important though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom