Terraria State of the Game - January 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, it'd be amazing if they added a feature to make your own custom vanity sets, also, that wall of steel idea, I've seen that before. If anything, the dev team should see if they can buff up the bosses (normal and mechanical) to have a different aesthetic and battle style. Although, if game canon is something to go by, then we'll never be getting a mechanical crimson variant. If master mode doesn't have new content, I'm perfectly fine. The best way to put master mode would be that it is just the extreme version of terraria to challenge experts (but if you've played calamity mod, you'll probably have an easier time knowing what you've gone through). The devs should also add to the ocean biome and expand it. Having an undersea palace or a coral area would be an awesome sight. If anything, they ought to add more aquatic bosses/minibosses.

Welp if pc has pogo stick how about since mobile is touchscreen a grappler? Hook sticks u to block but grappler makes you go through the block you grappled to and u can grappler on walls (i thought of this becuz i want to make grappler minigame where first to make it to end by only grappling or u fall to lava wins)

Welp if pc has pogo stick how about since mobile is touchscreen a grappler? Hook sticks u to block but grappler makes you go through the block you grappled to and u can grappler on walls (i thought of this becuz i want to make grappler minigame where first to make it to end by only grappling or u fall to lava wins)
I have no idea what you're trying to say :dryadwhat:

State of the Game: Bad.
Try addressing forum posts about game-breaking bugs that have persisted for years before you bother to asses your game as though it's an institution, boys. Can't be that much to go over in 176mb

Well, it may not convince you, but I'm happy to report that one of the biggest things we've been working on in 1.4 are fixing hundreds of the bugs present in the release build of the game. Its definitely one of the highest priorities of this update!

Maybe master mode gets initiated after beating moon lord in expert?
Thou wrong. Which sense o' Master Mode whereafter thy World's progress completed? How thou'st intended to defeat this Terrifying Diabolic Giant Eye o' Night's Horror wit' Master Mode's Changed Behaviour? With's thy S. D. M. G. or thy Meowmere? Such a Nonsense.

Now I'm confused. Your initial post suggested that you wanted to (for example) add moves that make knockback-based builds (or however you define "simple Melee cheese") less viable, but you now seem to recognize that Expert Mode already makes knockback-based builds less viable. So... what are you asking for?

Like I explicitly stated, "melee cheese" and "charging attack" and all of that were arbitrary examples, not specific things I want. I want a new and refreshing experience; new enemy attacks and behaviours help that.
So to examplify with your statements, that could mean that if ranged cheese is a problem like you said, then introduce a mechanic or attack or something that makes ranged cheese harder. Do whatever it needs to balance things so that cheesing in general isn't possible. And that the gameplay is refreshing and more tactical, rather than any form of "cheese", whether it be via Melee or ranged or magic, or simply hookshotting to a ceiling to avoid enemies.

If you want a mode that makes Terraria really hard, step one is to get rid of most of those mobility powers. Because as long as those are options, ranged-and-run will always be able to trivialize most combat.

That's a fairly good point, and I've remarked in the past how I miss early game because the terrain was actually dangerous. Lategame, we have wings that negate all fall damage, make us able to glide around and basically have no issues, whereas anyone who plays Minecraft knows how dangerous it is to just enter a cave in general, or dig a block below you.

I for sure wish that mobility powers in Terraria didn't remove environmental hazards entirely like they have, but unfortuantely I've seen that train as mostly passed as we can't exactly just remove all wings and mobility gear from the game.
However, a severe nerf to all of them in Expert Mode or Master Mode would actually be hella interesting. So good on you for suggesting that, I'm in favor of this if it can be done well.
I just hope it isn't done lazily so that people will just stack gravitation potions to ignore mobility nerfs, etc.

So you could spend a huge amount of time adding specialized AI for a bunch of enemies. However, that time spent will only service the needs of that portion of your playerbase. The rest will ignore that mode to the extent possible.

I'm of the mindset that the harder the difficulty, the harder/smarter the enemies. That doesn't mean you have to lock away all new behaviour, but if you can, make it iterative. Tweak the AI, make them more likely to pick good options, and basically code them to take into account, for example, whether you're holding/using a ranged weapon or not. Kinda like how in Smash Bros the Amiibo will notice what attacks you throw out, and try to anticipate them, AI in Terraria could see that you're a ranged fighter and try to jump when they're in position to get shot, or try to not walk over hills for an easy target if there are tankier foes that can go first.

Now all of that might be too sophisticated, but that's fine. Like I've said before, I'm merely examplifying to get a point across. Foes could get some new behaviours and attacks, and then difficulty scaling could choose how they apply those or if they usually do at all.

I'd prefer it if the base increase was lowered to 1.5x instead of 2x, and some more enemies gained extra attacks.
Totally! Most enemies just gain more damage and not that’s much more of special attacks. More unique attacks would make it more fun rather than just more damage.
It's less that we want rewards, and more that we want new attack patterns so we actually have new things to see. Bry-ccentric and I in particular just wanted new attack patterns so the mode couldn't be considered just "expert mode but everything takes longer to die and you're punished for your mistakes more". That's not genuinely more difficult, that's just more unforgiving in the laziest way possible.

This. All of this. Do something to make it new, at least recognize that simply making enemies tankier and kill you in fewer hits doesn't really do much more than removing the player's armor would.

Cenx did state in a discord post that Master will likely have no new content, so we're not going off of what we think will happen, we're going off what has been stated.

Here's a quick and dirty compilation I made just now from me on Quotes by Cenx in January 2020, she does state a lot about Master Mode in these quotes.

"We don't have plans for AI changes at this point in time. Just want a hard mode"
"Mostly stat changes. Master Mode isn't meant to be like Expert, it is meant for the die hards who want a challenge."

BZqzVbo.png

-

yIRW9y9.png

(Album of 2 pics: https://imgur.com/a/zPDjoSZ)

Basically, it seems that this update focuses a lot on major balance changes in general for presumably all difficulties, but Master Mode is more or less just a stat change like she says.

For those who don't want to watch a 10-minute "summary" video: Relevant snips from Discord:
Master Mode drops: View attachment 234563

Release Date: View attachment 234564

Desert: View attachment 234565

Desert Biome Chest: View attachment 234566

Stuffs: View attachment 234567

Achievements: View attachment 234568

Edit: Forgot this one -
Throwing/Ranged: View attachment 234569

Also that. Master Mode will not have accessories or weapons. I believe I recall quoting her at one point staying positive to vanity.

Well, it may not convince you, but I'm happy to report that one of the biggest things we've been working on in 1.4 are fixing hundreds of the bugs present in the release build of the game. Its definitely one of the highest priorities of this update!

To be quite honest, while I do appreciate the balancing rework and those things.. holding back critical bug fixes for a major content update is one of the most criticised things devs can do. While I do understand that some bugs might require some larger redesigns, I really urge you to deploy doable bug fixes reasonably fast, unless projections indicate that breaking update expectations by releasing smaller patches now may result in backlash.

This helps keeping the impression that the game is alive, and adds much needed relief to those affected in ways that make the game less and less appealing over time.
I know a lot of frustration is apparently over the console and handheld versions, though, and I don't know if Microsoft and Sony still charge per patch deployment, forcing devs to update as seldom as possible.

"Hoiking is a feature not a bug"

For some reason that phrase bothers me, technically hoik is a bug, it just that they never patched it due to the amount of contraptions people made it with.

Calling it a feature implies that they planned it from the start, which is not the case. And people taking credit for bugs like they planned it all along sounds like a joke. Because that's taking credit for something you didn't make, so really it's more of a bug-eature. (Terrible name)

(But I'd never remove hoiking on the sole purpose that it'd break everyone's contraptions, this has just been a pet peeve for quite some time)

Edit: Honesty I wish I never brought this up.

Also it's a shame the Lunatic Cultist won't drop a treasure bag, but Cenx's response sounds like they just can't be bothered to add one. (Don't worry I still love you Cenx)

I don't mean to be rude and this update will be amazing and there's going to be tons of new and great features.

Last edited:
"Hoiking is a feature not a bug"

For some reason that phrase bothers me, technically hoik is a bug, it just that they never patched it due to the amount of contraptions people made it with.

Calling it a feature implies that they planned it from the start, which is not the case. And people taking credit for bugs like they planned it all along sounds like a joke. Because that's taking credit for something you didn't make, so really it's more of a bug-eature. (Terrible name)

(But I'd never remove hoiking on the sole purpose that it'd break everyone's contraptions, this has just been a pet peeve for quite some time)

Also it's a shame the Lunatic Cultist won't drop a treasure bag, but Cenx's half-arsed response sounds like they just can't be bothered to add one. (Don't worry I still love you Cenx)

I don't mean to be rude and this update will be amazing and there's going to be tons of new and great features.
If the Devs call it a feature, they will get less flak for leaving it in. Also, features don’t have to be planned from the start to be called that.

If the Devs call it a feature, they will get less flak for leaving it in. Also, features don’t have to be planned from the start to be called that.
It's always been a pet peeve for me in any games when developers call bugs features, honestly I don't even know why it annoys me, and it's not limited to Terraria. Maybe it's from all the Bethesda memes :dryadtongue:

Creepers, For Example
Well that's kind of different, he accidentally made the pig model vertical instead of horizontal, then proceeded to actually develop it with its own sprite and AI ect... :dryadsmile: and that's fine as along as the developer actually does something with it.

With Hoiking nothing has changed, I personally would've added a Hoik block which are purchased from the mechanic which can be rotated by hammer and functions the same as hoiking.

Well that's kind of different, he accidentally made the pig model vertical instead of horizontal, then proceeded to actually develop it with its own sprite and AI ect... :dryadsmile: and that's fine as along as the developer actually does something with it.

With Hoiking nothing has changed, I personally would've added a Hoik block which are purchased from the mechanic which can be rotated by hammer and functions the same as hoiking.
But then we have less building options for hoiking.

Also, they actually have gone out of their way for hoiking and one-way walls to be in the console/mobile ports. It was definitely intentional there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom