Terraria State of the Game - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing Terraria on keyboard and mouse I could never switch back to playing it on a controller. And that’s saying something because I used to play with a controller and never the former. I think the console versions supporting keyboard & mouse is a huge step up.

After playing Terraria on keyboard and mouse I could never switch back to playing it on a controller. And that’s saying something because I used to play with a controller and never the former. I think the console versions supporting keyboard & mouse is a huge step up.

This is a reason why supporting motion controls on the Nintendo Switch would probably help a little in this case.

It works very similar and when you're getting used to it you can't play without it.

As much as I would love to see cross-play, aren't Sony really funny about changing game files externally?

Be patient, you want them to release it the best they can right? You don’t want a super super messy game now right?

You mean like the Switch Version was all the Time? For creating big Worlds is the docking station required... Massive Frame Drops all the Time... Giant Content Lag.... Multiplayer destroyed by connection Bugs etc... It's just a crime that they take the money from the Nintendo Switch Players!!!

Wait so what’s the deal with the UI? I see they made some slight (but welcome) improvements but it still seems very much like the ridiculously unoptimized PC interface. Can someone tell me what exactly all the improvements were?

And is this all they’re going to be doing? It still looks like it’d be a little cluncky on a controller.

Wait so what’s the deal with the UI? I see they made some slight (but welcome) improvements but it still seems very much like the ridiculously unoptimized PC interface. Can someone tell me what exactly all the improvements were?

And is this all they’re going to be doing? It still looks like it’d be a little cluncky on a controller.
The ui is still a W.I.P. so it is subject to change, but yeah it does look a little bit of a problem with a controller.

It would be nice for mobile to receive one too, it is helpful sometimes, but when building it gets annoying when lifting up after a while soemtimes(plus would also help it)
But yeah I think that the going up and down should definitely be an option on console becuas rod how big it can go already lol

On mobile, it is somewhat of a requirement in some places because of screen size. That said, I will mention this as well. I THINK the plan will be to make it a toggle on console, so maybe a back-porting into mobile won't be too hard... but I don't want to promise that/speak for DR on that just yet. :)

So console gets keyboard and mouse support.....and ditches it's exclusives? Becoming more and more like pc everyday and this rate...here's an idea, leave pc to pc and console to console....maybe just maybe then you might ACTUALLY get some work done on it....at this rate with the way they are going console will die and it will be a mobile / pc game only....also for the crossplay good luck with that, considering worlds/players are locked to a specific account because of trophies/achievements

I would say DR is making plenty of progress. For context - the actual development work on 1.2 -> 1.3 on consoles, with a much larger and 100% focused solely on console team... took 18 months from start to finish. DR has been working on console full-on since, what.... September/October? Toss the Holidays in there, and they took it to Alpha in 2-2-5 months of actual work. Sure, I get folks want to start the clock from May 16th, but it doesn't entirely work that way. DR is working tirelessly to get this out as soon as possible without cutting any corners in the process.

The time now is focused on polish (UI/Controls/etc), fixing, optimization, etc. You may personally not want KB+M support - but I could share countless reports and queries over the years from fellow console players that very much wanted this feature. So, we are happy at long last to toss this in as well. :)

Mobile was completed first because DR had it nearly completed before taking over Consoles.

All of that to say - totally get the anxiety and the frustration with the wait... but let's give DR a little space to get this done right.

Can you add motion controls for us Switch players?

Unsure, to be honest. MIGHT be something we will look into - but no promises - and almost certainly would not be there for JE launch. We would likely have to hold things up on Switch for a time to develop/tweak/etc. such a thing (moreso again because it doesn't exist on other platforms so its a 'build from scratch' thing) and I cannot see us doing that.

i have a question. if you can get crossplay to work but not the cross saves to work will we still get crossplay at least?

Great question. What we will shoot for is "making as much possible as we can". Cross-saves present unique issues because of things like account-bound saving (Xbox) and the like. However, in order to get any of this working, you have to collaborate with the first parties (Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc) anyway. So, when we get there, we will see what those folks will be willing to let happen. In the meantime, we will build the technological foundation so that whatever is allowed is possible - if that makes sense?

As for one vs the other... too early to know what we will run into just yet. Stay tuned - but no, we are not treating this as an "all or nothing" affair.

Why don't the devs quit offloading their game to other companies and code it themselves to these other platforms? Bring this in house and stop the madness.

Because we have absolutely zero experience with Console/Mobile development as of this time - perhaps that is within that range of skills we will be working on, but that does not solve "today". Couple that with the core Terraria not exactly being a super-easy-to-port codebase (this isn't Unity, to put it mildly) and here we are. Meanwhile, we have an amazing team over at DR that has great ideas, experience with both, and has dramatically accelerated progress on those fronts in a way we haven't seen since Console began. So, yeah, we are going to give them the time they need to get it done. If we tried to just "pull it in house" as you suggest, then stage one would be a long wait while we ramp up skills, etc. on all of those external systems, etc. You will get a better product faster this way - even though it costs us more via this route than doing as you suggest.

Also, the timing of the SOTG has literally zero to do with the amount of news. Typically, it will be near the end of the month on a Thursday or Friday - the exact timing depending on what else might be going on (e.g. might hold it back a week if there were some possible news coming in that is of importance).

So happy to hear the mouse and keyboard support is coming to consoles! All though I must admit, I'm definitely not a fan of the inventory UI shown in that video. If m&k is coming, why wouldn't you just leave the UI as the same style as the PC one?

are we gonna be forced to go with that UI? i hope they change it back to the PC-style UI we currently have on console.

or at the very least, give us the option to switch UI styles.

As noted in the big red disclaimer underneath the video on the post:

Also keep in mind that this is an ALPHA version of Terraria 1.4 on Console. Lots of things - such as the final UI, etc - are still subject to change. So don't get too hung up on anything - the key here is to show off this new way to play on Consoles!

This isn't even the expected final UI for "DR's approach" - and the team is still planning to support some form of "Legacy" approach as well. On top of that, if you have tracked what DR has done on mobile at all, you will know that they are all about giving players options and choices to customize their setup as much as is feasible. WAY more than anything we have seen in the past on mobile... and from what I have seen, at least a good bit of that should carry over to consoles. Can't say for sure what all that will be just yet - as it is dependent on what will be allowed on each platform (vs what is possible agnostic of that)

I could also care less for keyboard and mouse,I don't see why people find it more comfy with a controller,but hey, different styles, different people, different opinions.

This is precisely why. Same reason we added Gamepad to PC... and to mobile. As I was saying above, DR (and Re-Logic to that extent) is all about giving players options and choices on how to play. It's maybe not for everyone - or even for most people - but I can unequivocally say that it has been vocally asked for by parts of the Console community for years.

Also, in my opinion... having logged hundreds of hours on each... the "DR" Gamepad setup (Advanced Default at least) is substantially better than what we have now on legacy console. Though, as I said above, I assume both will be supported in the end. It's similar enough, but with WAY more options and capabilities. YMMV, of course. ;)

As much as I would love to see cross-play, aren't Sony really funny about changing game files externally?

As you say, oftentimes a first party or another may block or place obstacles in the path of crossplay. Now, we will do all that we can to collaborate with them to make this a reality for everyone - but is there a reality where one group or another just says "nope, not interested, not going to do what it takes to make this happen"? Sure. We will have to cross that bridge when we come to it... but as said above, we are not treating this as an all or nothing affair. We are really hopeful that all parties will want to work with us to make this a reality. :)

If it's on any way like the mobile version (I use a PS4 controller on mobile) it is a vast improvement.

At first it will seem a little, full, especially as there are a million ways to setup your controller layout. Once you get us to it though, many things are much easier.

You can setup button combos to switch to specific weapons on the hot bar, zoom in and out on the go (ie without the options menu), and plenty of other useful ways of doing things.

As for the UI itself; it is a little different, but again, once you get used to it I find it much more useable.

Unsure, to be honest. MIGHT be something we will look into - but no promises - and almost certainly would not be there for JE launch. We would likely have to hold things up on Switch for a time to develop/tweak/etc. such a thing (moreso again because it doesn't exist on other platforms so its a 'build from scratch' thing) and I cannot see us doing that.

Thank you very much for your reply! I understand why it won't be a priority in any point but still You will maybe look into that. Thank you for that also! And fingers are crossed that it MAY be something that might be worked on later.

I thank you and the whole team very much for not only supporting this game after years of release but especially for the hard work you put into developing the game and the community works you do.

Terraria is a game that will forever stay in my mind as an exception in videogame history. These are the games that change the gaming industry to something better.

Anyway I'd be very happy to see a sequel to it in the future when the next generation of a Nintendo Switch will be released. Maybe one of the launch games? Haha! I know I dream a lot!

it's "couldn't care less", saying "could care less" means you DO care about it.

but controllers are more comfortable because they're designed for gaming... i've never had any issues with controllers, i've been gaming for decades now.

i tried playing on PC at some point in my life, and mouse and keyboard is just... wrong.

it's so difficult to figure out how a game works with them, the controls are scattered, and they're extremely uncomfortable.

i've ended up with both wrist and finger pain from using mouse and keyboard controls.

meanwhile, controllers have actually provided relief, and helped me keep my hands dexterous.

so no one will ever convince me that PC controls are a comfortable or proper way to play games.
thanks for the correction.
the same thing can go for keyboards,and some people can say the same thing.
imo,the controls feel "slow" and plus you need to keep sure you are on the same movement buttons,you have to look at the keyboard instead of the screen,and that's why I don't like keyboards when it comes to gaming.And no one is trying to convince you that pc controls are better or more proper.

Could I ask if you are planning something like a sound packs to switch like music in music banks? Answers appreciated!

I have an old version of the game when golem was the finale boss, Is Journey's end still available to me when it becomes realsesed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom