Terraria State of the Game - July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @Loki, just a question:
How will World Seed work on Console? I don't have config.json files on my xBox.

Not Loki but I'm pretty sure they won't be on console right now since they're currently considered as an experimental feature (along with texture packs) on PC, and I think it would make more sense to wait until they're completed features (1.4 update) to implement them on console.

As a programmer ( mobile and pc ) I know how hard it is to develop a game. Even more to fix all the bugs so that they don’t annoy the users.

These terraria developers updating the game free. No additional payments for the updates. We should appreciate that. They are working hard and giving us a wonderful experience to enjoy ourselves.

Keep up the good work guys.

Hope to see the mobile update soon.

Thanks

Hey @Loki, just a question:
How will World Seed work on Console? I don't have config.json files on my xBox.

World Seeds were only an experimental feature (along with Texture Packs) added in 1.3.4.

As "experimental" features, I really do not know how/if they will intersect with Mobile/Console until the time comes that we cross that bridge. Even still, again, these are experimental and not "core" game features (which is why you have to do the config.json stuff you mentioned... and that isn't really a thing on console)

So.... I'll just say "stay tuned for now, but cannot promise anything." :)

World Seeds were only an experimental feature (along with Texture Packs) added in 1.3.4.

As "experimental" features, I really do not know how/if they will intersect with Mobile/Console until the time comes that we cross that bridge. Even still, again, these are experimental and not "core" game features (which is why you have to do the config.json stuff you mentioned... and that isn't really a thing on console)

So.... I'll just say "stay tuned for now, but cannot promise anything." :)
Makes sense. Maybe you guys could add a switch in the settings for it.

If certain weapons can't be used because it's causing the game to lag beyond usable levels, then I wouldn't call that "working". Parts of it work, granted, but not all of it. Plus the new minor bugs like the cursor not snapping back really make gameplay less enjoyable.

Which exact weapons - outside of giant multi-tier automated farm systems - are lagging the game to unplayable levels in normal use.

Serious question, so that this can be escalated to PW.
Pretty sure ED is referring to the videos he posted where he abuses items that have particle effects to a ridiculous degree as part of a mob farm. The only thing @ClearConscious and Pipeworks could really do about his specific issue would be better particle effect culling, where they cap the amount of particles that the console will even try to display. Not sure how easy that is to do in the engine they've ported to, so no idea if it's a hard fix or simply implementing a variable.

ED did post a list a while back here though.

Pretty sure ED is referring to the videos he posted where he abuses items that have particle effects to a ridiculous degree as part of a mob farm.

That is why I was saying "in normal use" = the way that 99% of folks would use them.

Edge cases like those are in a different category.

If that makes sense.

Pretty sure ED is referring to the videos he posted where he abuses items that have particle effects to a ridiculous degree as part of a mob farm. The only thing @ClearConscious and Pipeworks could really do about his specific issue would be better particle effect culling, where they cap the amount of particles that the console will even try to display. Not sure how easy that is to do in the engine they've ported to, so no idea if it's a hard fix or simply implementing a variable.

ED did post a list a while back here though.

That is why I was saying "in normal use" = the way that 99% of folks would use them.

If that makes sense.

But the farm worked fine when 1.3 first came out; it was only after the bad patch was released that it started to happen, so it's nothing tp dp with system limitations. It's the same with Pum[kin Moon and the raven staff, which doesn't emit any light; it gets to a certain DPS and freezes.

But the farm worked fine when 1.3 first came out; it was only after the bad patch was released that it started to happen, so it's nothing tp dp with system limitations. It's the same with Pum[kin Moon and the raven staff, which doesn't emit any light; it gets to a certain DPS and freezes.
I still think it's an issue with the engine not culling effects, even if there's no particles to worry about. Your farms are built to build up power to a really high degree, which is probably hitting the limits of system memory. I don't think Pipeworks has accounted for an upper boundary on that, figuring that most players would never actually try to hit those numbers on purpose like you have.

If that makes sense.
Edge case or not, to solution to his problem would still benefit everyone. There's obviously no culling in effect to prevent people from building up such effects to a ridiculous degree. Having the engine put an upper bounds on such things would create better stability in all areas of the game.

If that makes sense.

I have a video of me using an SDMG against the lunar events. The game lagged into a complete freeze and I thought it was about to crash before it finally unlagged

Hey @Loki. What @Cyberra is running into (and probably @ED209 too) is an issue with too many projectiles, that has existed ever since 1.3 was released but gotten worse with the most recent update(s). The issue is even more visible down in hell where a projectile could travel the entire width of the world. Too many of those and the game softlocks for a while. It's not just 'hardcore' players that have this issue, it effects normal players too. And it's even more noticable in multiplayer.

On pc I believe the limit is 400 active projectiles at the same time. If the limit is the same on console, it needs to either be: a) limited more to maybe 100 projectiles, or b) optimised so that console can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom