Terraria State of the Game - July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
the team is feeling pretty good that Split Screen will - at long last - make it into your hands with this next update
The screenshot shows two players. Will we be able to play with 4 players, not leaving a family member behind?
Otherwise also that update will be absolutely useless for us.

The screenshot shows two players. Will we be able to play with 4 players, not leaving a family member behind?
Otherwise also that update will be absolutely useless for us.
I don't think it was ever possible playing Terraria in 4-way splitscreen on the Nintendo Switch, and I have never seen any promises about that being possible. Sure, it's possible on PS4 and Xbox One but those are much more powerful. Perhaps you have mixed those up?

Looking at the hardware, the Switch uses the Nvidia Tegra X1 which have 4 ARM Cortex A57 cores (clocked @ 1,02 GHz). Apparently one of those are used by the system, so only 3 cores are available for the game. Due to the low clock speed it's unlikely that one core will be able to handle more than one player. So the best you can hope for is 3-way splitscreen, assuming other parts can keep up. It's very likely though the third core is used for miscellanious tasks and audio instead to offload the other cores.

...... could you guys add mouse support on mobile please? I just bought one and it doesn’t work.... I just want to play with a mouse so I can have better controls on pc.... if you don’t add it, oh well I guess I’ll just continue to use the keyboard and touch controls, not like it’s the end of the world, but I would like to get mouse support.

Everyone here is waiting for the mastermode exclusive weapons pls add them
mastermode without good content is boring, its just expertmode with extra step!
PLEASE ADD!!!

anyone remember when 1.4 was originally gonna be 1.3.6 and master mode was probably gonna be one of the only things added?

despite it turning into the massive 1.4 update... people are STILL complaining and wanting more out of master mode, focusing ONLY on that.

just pointing out... fans are a bit ungrateful around here.

now, speaking of master mode... anyone plan on doing a master mode + for the worthy playthrough?

being one-shot by pretty much everything should make for an interesting challenge...

especially with all the additional changes the "for the worthy" seed makes to world gen.

i did find 1-2 short playthroughs on youtube, and it looks ridiculously hard even in pre-hardmode... armor seems to do nothing, really.

also, there is the fact that everything grows more powerful as you progress in those higher difficulties... it's a masochist's dream.

then there is the ultimate challenge... master mode + for the worthy + hardcore.

wonder if the terraria champions out there can pull that off?

Last edited:
I don't think it was ever possible playing Terraria in 4-way splitscreen on the Nintendo Switch, and I have never seen any promises about that being possible. Sure, it's possible on PS4 and Xbox One but those are much more powerful. Perhaps you have mixed those up?

As pointed out in a lot of posts here in the forum, it was advertised with 1-4 local players, when I bought the download version.
I didn't mix it up. Actually, I was one of the first who expressed concerns due to the hardware.

And again: We won't start a world leaving one kid behind. That would definitely raise trouble and I didn't pay for trouble. As things look by now, I payed for nothing.

As pointed out in a lot of posts here in the forum, it was advertised with 1-4 local players, when I bought the download version.
I didn't mix it up. Actually, I was one of the first who expressed concerns due to the hardware.

And again: We won't start a world leaving one kid behind. That would definitely raise trouble and I didn't pay for trouble. As things look by now, I payed for nothing.
But you still can enjoy the game by yourself, or with only 2, (I’m sorry if this next section I’m gonna say sounds rude, I’m not trying to be rude I’m just trying to point out stuff) have you read how the switch is having problems with running on split screen still? You have to have a certain zoom in order to do it, and the switch doesn’t have that much..... what is it called software runner thing? But the switch doesn’t have much of that compared to Xbox one and ps4, so could you just at least be grateful that they are trying their best to make it possible for 2 people to play when it’s more possible than 3 and 4

sounds rude
Doesn't sound rude, no prob.
I read a lot and I wrote a lot. I've got an IT-background, so the issues are quite clear to me.

Nonetheless I - as many others - bought it under the wrong premise that it has up to 4 players locally as advertised in the Nintendo store. But I'm REALLY tired of arguing about that.

anyone remember when 1.4 was originally gonna be 1.3.6 and master mode was probably gonna be one of the only things added?
Wow, your post gave me an intense nostalgia trip! I remember nearly everything I was doing around that time too, when 1.4 was still only supposed to be 1.3.6. It's still trippy for me, only because I remember thinking, 1.4.0 seems too good to be true, I have a feeling if this game ever comes out, the world is gonna end... & here we are. 🙄 😅🍹

despite it turning into the massive 1.4 update... people are STILL complaining and wanting more out of master mode, focusing ONLY on that.
I was hoping for something like Master Mode in the next update, more like Nightmare Mode, but what we got is fine in my opinion. There's so much more new content, that the higher difficulty wasn't nearly as important to me as it was a year ago.

just pointing out... fans are a bit ungrateful around here.
I agree, but I've come to realize that a large number of Terraria fans are teenagers & preteens, can't really expect them to have a grounded perspective when it comes to logistics & benevolence. A large number of these massive updates are free, for a game that's $5-$10 USD, depending on where you buy it. This isn't to excuse a game being poorly made, or the developers being lazy, by any means, but that's not the case here anyway. The Developers for this game are working their a**es off...

now, speaking of master mode... anyone plan on doing a master mode + for the worthy playthrough?
I really feel like that's a challenge left for those who know this game so well, there's no other challenge to do but this one. I might try it myself, 4-5 years from now, but I'm in no rush to do it any time soon.

being one-shot by pretty much everything should make for an interesting challenge...
I think a lot of people have a gross misunderstanding of challenge & difficulty. If the only intent is to make something hard, much thought doesn't need to go into the design, just make everything kill the player in one hit & justify it by over-explaining that the game is designed to be challenging. The real arduous tasks, is designing an interesting situation that just so happens to be difficult. 🤷‍♂️🍹 Everybody isn't technically inclined to design good games, even if they have strong opinions about them.

especially with all the additional changes the "for the worthy" seed makes to world gen.
What's cool about this feature, that I see as overlooked, is that there's nearly no limit to this zany idea; & I'm fairly certain that no one saw this addition coming. 🤷‍♂️🍹

i did find 1-2 short playthroughs on youtube, and it looks ridiculously hard even in pre-hardmode... armor seems to do nothing, really.
Enemies being able to kill the player faster isn't always the kind of challenge people are looking for, but it certainly helps in limiting the number of mistakes a player can make before they are punished with death. ForTheWorthy, from what I hear, changes the game fundamentally; which sounds interesting itself. A lot of players, from what I've seen here (& on Steam), have a gross misunderstanding of difficulty in games anyhow, so until I play the mode myself, I'll refrain from judgment on why they still seem dissatisfied.

also, there is the fact that everything grows more powerful as you progress in those higher difficulties... it's a masochist's dream.
It sounds that way, but masochism isn't the only thing players want from challenging games. For me, I like the puzzle-solving method of winning battles, some players like being shocked by gimmicks & learning from ignorance, which is also a puzzle. Then of course, some players like torturing themselves for the bragging rights, there's no one way that players enjoy difficulty in their games.

then there is the ultimate challenge... master mode + for the worthy + hardcore.
A masochists' wet dream, through & through. 😅🍹

wonder if the terraria champions out there can pull that off?
I'm sure someone has, I'd actually be pretty shocked if someone hasn't already!

Sorry, I didn't see those old posts of yours. And I'm not a Nintendo user so I'm not terrible well informed. While I think some of their games are great, I'm not a fan of the company for various reasons.

If they really did advertise it supporting 1-4 players, then it should be possible to get a refund. At least as long as you haven't played the game for a significant amount of time (I believe they keep track of that). Depending on where you live, they can't overrule local consumer rights laws. The EULA that many companies force you to agree to aren't valid.

Another option would be to get a second Switch. Then assuming they actually can get 2-player split-screen to work, you could play 2 by 2 over the network. I don't think Terraria supports local lan play though, you will have to connect using the internet. There might be issues if your network uses NAT (if you have IPv6 then it should work). Unless your router supports NAT Reflection it might not work.

I don't know if that option would require purchasing the game yet again. On Xbox you can share games with family members (you get to choose who's family), but I don't know if Nintendo have something similar.

Hoping that Terraria will support 4-way splitscreen one day is unfortunately not a realistic option.

Sorry, I didn't see those old posts of yours. And I'm not a Nintendo user so I'm not terrible well informed. While I think some of their games are great, I'm not a fan of the company for various reasons.

If they really did advertise it supporting 1-4 players, then it should be possible to get a refund. At least as long as you haven't played the game for a significant amount of time (I believe they keep track of that). Depending on where you live, they can't overrule local consumer rights laws. The EULA that many companies force you to agree to aren't valid.

Another option would be to get a second Switch. Then assuming they actually can get 2-player split-screen to work, you could play 2 by 2 over the network. I don't think Terraria supports local lan play though, you will have to connect using the internet. There might be issues if your network uses NAT (if you have IPv6 then it should work). Unless your router supports NAT Reflection it might not work.

I don't know if that option would require purchasing the game yet again. On Xbox you can share games with family members (you get to choose who's family), but I don't know if Nintendo have something similar.

Hoping that Terraria will support 4-way splitscreen one day is unfortunately not a realistic option.

it always stuns me when people say they aren't a fan of nintendo and do nothing but tear them apart, especially considering they're the only company i know of, especially in the triple A industry, whose higher ups took pay cuts to protect their employees... nintendo has done extremely benevolent things that you rarely, if ever, see anywhere else.

then ya move on to praise xbox, when microsoft is hardly the most trustworthy company, and who seem to have no idea what gamers even want, judging by the original reveal of the xbone... not to mention the whole spying on people controversy...

anyway, that's going off topic, so i won't go any further with that.

Wow, your post gave me an intense nostalgia trip! I remember nearly everything I was doing around that time too, when 1.4 was still only supposed to be 1.3.6. It's still trippy for me, only because I remember thinking, 1.4.0 seems too good to be true, I have a feeling if this game ever comes out, the world is gonna end... & here we are. 🙄 😅🍹

I was hoping for something like Master Mode in the next update, more like Nightmare Mode, but what we got is fine in my opinion. There's so much more new content, that the higher difficulty wasn't nearly as important to me as it was a year ago.

I agree, but I've come to realize that a large number of Terraria fans are teenagers & preteens, can't really expect them to have a grounded perspective when it comes to logistics & benevolence. A large number of these massive updates are free, for a game that's $5-$10 USD, depending on where you buy it. This isn't to excuse a game being poorly made, or the developers being lazy, by any means, but that's not the case here anyway. The Developers for this game are working their a**es off...

I really feel like that's a challenge left for those who know this game so well, there's no other challenge to do but this one. I might try it myself, 4-5 years from now, but I'm in no rush to do it any time soon.

I think a lot of people have a gross misunderstanding of challenge & difficulty. If the only intent is to make something hard, much thought doesn't need to go into the design, just make everything kill the player in one hit & justify it by over-explaining that the game is designed to be challenging. The real arduous tasks, is designing an interesting situation that just so happens to be difficult. 🤷‍♂️🍹 Everybody isn't technically inclined to design good games, even if they have strong opinions about them.

What's cool about this feature, that I see as overlooked, is that there's nearly no limit to this zany idea; & I'm fairly certain that no one saw this addition coming. 🤷‍♂️🍹

Enemies being able to kill the player faster isn't always the kind of challenge people are looking for, but it certainly helps in limiting the number of mistakes a player can make before they are punished with death. ForTheWorthy, from what I hear, changes the game fundamentally; which sounds interesting itself. A lot of players, from what I've seen here (& on Steam), have a gross misunderstanding of difficulty in games anyhow, so until I play the mode myself, I'll refrain from judgment on why they still seem dissatisfied.

It sounds that way, but masochism isn't the only thing players want from challenging games. For me, I like the puzzle-solving method of winning battles, some players like being shocked by gimmicks & learning from ignorance, which is also a puzzle. Then of course, some players like torturing themselves for the bragging rights, there's no one way that players enjoy difficulty in their games.

A masochists' wet dream, through & through. 😅🍹

I'm sure someone has, I'd actually be pretty shocked if someone hasn't already!

i dunno, so many people are difficulty elitists and seem to prefer games being hard for the sake of being hard, that's why so many people love those souls and souls-like games, which are simply enemies one-shotting you with idiotic AI, leveling up doesn't even make a difference as far as i can tell in those games.

but yeah, i won't be doing a challenge playthrough right away... i am gonna be playing as normal a playthrough as i can first, though it will be in journey mode for convenience sake.

though, i am very tempted to do a "drunk world" playthrough, cause i love that it has both world evils and all the ores and everything.

then i will most likely do a "not the bees" playthrough, cause that seed looks pretty interesting. :dryadtongue:

i dunno, so many people are difficulty elitists and seem to prefer games being hard for the sake of being hard, that's why so many people love those souls and souls-like games, which are simply enemies one-shotting you with idiotic AI, leveling up doesn't even make a difference as far as i can tell in those games.
Well, I wouldn't consider myself a difficulty elitist, but, I do find that difficulty in the games that I enjoy, does help with immersion. For example, if in the game's story, there is a legendary knight with a reputation for being powerful, it'd be kinda disappointing if he was easily exploited, had stupid AI or was extremely easy to kill as a Boss. I like difficulty so long as it makes sense within the context of the game I'm playing. Difficulty for difficulty's sake is terrible game design IMHO.

but yeah, i won't be doing a challenge playthrough right away... i am gonna be playing as normal a playthrough as i can first, though it will be in journey mode for convenience sake.
Yeah, I highly recommend Journey Mode! One of my biggest gripes with Terraria was the grinding, so I simply got rid of it altogether. It does make you approach the game differently though, depending on the difficulty you plan to play on, but I say just focus on having fun. One of the things I love most about Journey Mode are the sliders, you don't have to wait on any event, time of day, weather, none of that! If you wanna farm a Solar Eclipse or Pumpkin Moon for three hours straight? You can. You wanna make it rain for your entire play-through? You can! You wanna research enough wood so you never have to cut down another tree again? You can; it's the best! 😊🍹

though, i am very tempted to do a "drunk world" playthrough, cause i love that it has both world evils and all the ores and everything.
I haven't tried any of the new seeds yet, but it certainly sounds interesting! I even heard that one of the seeds has the soundtrack songs for Terraria: Otherworld, very cool (if it's true)!

then i will most likely do a "not the bees" playthrough, cause that seed looks pretty interesting. :dryadtongue:
As a person who makes adventure maps, this is the kinda stuff I love to see! You can do so much cool stuff in Terraria with Third-party Software, I'm glad to see the Developers embracing some of that wackiness in Journey Mode & these crazy world seeds.

it always stuns me when people say they aren't a fan of nintendo and do nothing but tear them apart, especially considering they're the only company i know of, especially in the triple A industry, whose higher ups took pay cuts to protect their employees... nintendo has done extremely benevolent things that you rarely, if ever, see anywhere else.

then ya move on to praise xbox, when microsoft is hardly the most trustworthy company, and who seem to have no idea what gamers even want, judging by the original reveal of the xbone... not to mention the whole spying on people controversy...

anyway, that's going off topic, so i won't go any further with that.
My beef with Nintendo is really old and by now I have forgotten the original reason. I think it mainly had to do with how they did business. I seem to remember them becoming a bit arrogant after Atari went down. Sega was still around but didn't provide enough competition. I wasn't really into consoles then although I did buy a Sega Game Gear at some point. A friend of mine was though and that may have biased me some. It wasn't until the original PlayStation that I got interested, and I found it pretty hilarious (in a dark comedy kind of way) when I later found out it was originally intended to be a CD addon for the SNES.

If you like Nintendo, that's fine by me. They make decent hardware though somewhat pricey, but that's to be expected since they don't really have any competititon in their niche. And there's no denying they are very good at getting the most out of that hardware. In the past they have also been very innovative.

I don't really praise Microsoft, we all know they are evil (though perhaps less so now than they used to be). I'm just pointing out a nice feature that the Xbox have that I know of. PS4 may have something similar though I don't really know since I'm not familiar with that system. Xbox by the way may be owned by Microsoft, but is really a separate entity. Some of it's people do come from Microsoft and are steeped in it's ways, but others come from the outside. It's not black and white. Companies are made up of people with different goals and beliefs, and over time as people come and go a company's collective goal and beliefs shifts. For large companies it's a slow process, but it happens.

Please PM if you wish to continue discussing this. By the way, you may find this article interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom