Terraria State of the Game - June 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have tried that before, but some UI is still cut off. All it does is make it bigger or smaller.

Edit: I should also elaborate that while the problem still exists in single player, it's mainly in split screen I have major issues with overscan.
Weird.

Which console are you on ? I know that Xbox have a setting that allow to manually change the zone. I don't own a PS4, so I can't help you if that's what you have.

What about 1.4 tmodloader ?
Would have to defer to the TML Team on that - going to try and have them give an update during future SOTG’s.

Will you guys fix the Otherworld OST on Steam? Like someone said in this thread earlier, the entire OST has a 16kHz cutoff and it's in 128kbps MP3 quality. That is really bad. The songs themselves are really good, but the sound quality is just atrocious.
Working with the composers around upping the quality on the MP3.

Added an “HQ” branch that will pull the source WAV files (no metadata, much larger file size, but higher quality) about an hour ago - Steam requires the base to be MP3, but allows for a second HQ branch

You can control which you get in Steam > Settings > Music
If you are already set to “always play the highest quality files” then you should have a rather large update available (674mb).

Would have to defer to the TML Team on that - going to try and have them give an update during future SOTG’s.

Working with the composers around upping the quality on the MP3.

Added an “HQ” branch that will pull the source WAV files (no metadata, much larger file size, but higher quality) about an hour ago - Steam requires the base to be MP3, but allows for a second HQ branch

You can control which you get in Steam > Settings > Music
If you are already set to “always play the highest quality files” then you should have a rather large update available (674mb).
Nice. Can't wait for update.

Can you play the Nintendo Switch version with a keyboard & mouse ?

Weird.

Which console are you on ? I know that Xbox have a setting that allow to manually change the zone. I don't own a PS4, so I can't help you if that's what you have.

I have the Xbox version too. I know there's a UI size option, but it doesn't really help me because it just makes the UI bigger. I don't know if it's got something to do with the size of your TV, but for me I can only switch it between two sizes: 100% and 125%, both of which don't help.

What I was talking about is a setting that most modern games have where you can make the UI closer or farther from the middle of the screen. You align the four arrows (or the white box on some games) to the edges of the screen to fit your TV.

Greetings Terrarians!

Since we last left you, the hotfixes have been rolling out (with more to come!), along with some special surprises coming your way a bit later on. Things have been heating up - literally speaking with the outside weather as well as for those "fortunate" enough to survive their encounter with the Torch God. All that said, let's dive into the latest and greatest across the board!

index.php

STATE OF THE GAME - TABLE OF CONTENTS

PC NEWS

CONSOLE/SWITCH NEWS

MOBILE NEWS

COMMUNITY NEWS

index.php

PC - RE-LOGIC

Happy Summer everyone! The PC development team has been hard at work on the series of post-launch hotfixes - hopefully, these have improved your Journey's End Experience.

View attachment 279997

It's that time of year, of course - the Steam Summer Sale is here! From today until July 9th @ 10am Pacific - Terraria, Terraria 4 Packs, and the Terraria Soundtrack are all 50% off! If you held off picking up Terraria during the Journey's End launch (or you have a friend or 50 that didn't), there is no better time to delve into the world of Terraria! Clicking the Steam Summer Sale Banner above will take you to our Steam Page where you can get (or gift) your copy today!

Terraria is also very proud to be a part of the new Steam Points program on Steam. With this latest addition from Valve, you can earn Steam Points by buying games and redeem those points for cool items that you can display on your profile - like our two animated friends below! Anything you pick up in the Points Shop is yours to keep, and the Points Shop is a permanent, year-round addition to Steam. These are beyond cool, and they would make a fantastic addition to any Terrarian's Steam profile! :cool:

CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE STEAM POINTS SHOP!

81a5deabbd5da0d668b046faa2455333771e4eb6.png
f7bbf0a8dd394260ed9fff2464ad4f39d96225ef.png

index.php

But wait, there's more!!!

TERRARIA: OTHERWORLD SOUNDTRACK RELEASES TODAY ON STEAM!

Starting today, we are releasing the long-demanded Terraria: Otherworld Soundtrack on Steam! Composed by Jeff Broadbent and Jonathan van den Wijngaarden, and featuring musical performances by Tina Guo, Jeff Ball, and Frank Klepacki - the Terraria: Otherworld soundtrack is 25 tracks of awesome ear candy and a glimpse into what might have been.

View attachment 279998

All of these amazing tracks should also be available on other music downloading and streaming services (iTunes, Spotify, etc.) in the very near future. Click the cover art above to head to the Steam page for the Terraria: Otherworld Official Soundtrack!

FULL TRACK LISTING
TITLECOMPOSERARTISTARTISTLENGTH
PreludeJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent1:36
Every Adventure Has A BeginningJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent2:35
Night Falls, Darkness EmergeJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:11
Below the SurfaceJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenJeff Ball (Violin)3:07
Secret of the SandsJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden3:38
Glimmers of VibranceJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:05
Enchanted BlueJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden2:48
Sky GuardianJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenTina Guo (Cello)3:15
The Endless VoidJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden3:49
Celestial CavernsJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:05
Journey to the CoreJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden2:15
Ancient CitadelJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:16
Shadows of CorruptionJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:15
Decay and CorrosionJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:10
Behold the OctoEyeJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden2:58
Blood CrawlersJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden2:21
Crimson ChasmJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den Wijngaarden3:02
Fighting Off the InvasionJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent2:44
Twisted VirtueJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent3:05
A Sweet MenaceJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent2:55
Rage of TaruunkJeff BroadbentJeff Broadbent2:19
Enter DarknessJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenFrank Klepacki (Guitar)2:36
Fighting the NightJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenFrank Klepacki (Guitar)3:03
Sinkholes of DarknessJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenFrank Klepacki (Guitar)2:45
Consumed by DarknessJonathan van den WijngaardenJonathan van den WijngaardenFrank Klepacki (Guitar)2:53

index.php

Be sure that you are up-to-date with the latest and greatest on this front via the Hotfix Changelog... and keep your bug reports coming via the handy bug report button below!

Terraria: Journey's End - Hotfix Changelog

index.php

TMODLOADER ISSUES/BUGS

The Re-Logic team does not directly develop TML, so bugs with TML are best reported via the links below.

tModLoader - Play Terraria with Mods!

https://tmodloader.net/discord

index.php

Sure, sure fixes... but what else are we working on right now? Well, besides the awesomeness that is the Torch God, we are starting to dip our toes into elements of the 1.4.1 update. As a reminder, this will contain the Vanity Contest winners and a handful of other fun things that we either didn't quite get into 1.4 or ideas that came to mind coming out of that launch. No spoilers to give you just yet (nor a timeframe), but wanted to share that work has begun in earnest on this in parallel to the ongoing fixes.

Thanks again, Terrarians - we are as always blown away by your support!

Back to Table of Contents
index.php

PlayStation 4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch - PIPEWORKS

Additional Console Fixes and Quality of Life Patch Coming Soon!

As we briefly mentioned in various locations in the past, there are a handful of quality of life issues that have existed on Console that we wanted to rectify once we got all of the 1.3.5 content launched. These are things that are not technically bugs per se, but that would improve the experience of players once addressed. What all does this entail?

View attachment 279085

Password Protected Multiplayer Games - want to keep your session private? Set a Password and only share it with the folks you want on your world.

View attachment 279086

Cursor Sensitivity Settings - for both Deadzone and Overall Sensitivity, you can now tailor the speed of your cursor to how you want to play

Map Data on Multiplayer Sessions should now be persistent across sessions (vs resetting each session) - subject to data storage limits!

This update will also contain a solid set of miscellaneous bug fixes (from smaller visual things to some more edge-case impactful items), as we ensure console is in a great place before the leap to 1.4.

index.php

NINTENDO SWITCH

Last time we spoke, Terraria 1.3.5 had just launched for Nintendo Switch! We hope that you have thoroughly enjoyed all of this new and amazing content over the last month. Of course, within that, we have been carefully watching for your bug reports. We are happy to report that we should have a fix wave inbound soon that will address some of the more widespread issues that you have noted to us since 1.3.5 released. These include (but are not limited to):[/SIZE]

• Enemies making their proper "on hit" and death sounds
  • Bubbles are no longer invisible
  • Underworld freezing
  • Handful of multiplayer desync issues
  • Performance Improvements

As with XB1/PS4, we really want to be sure that the Nintendo Switch version has the fixes it needs and is in a good place before tackling what is next.

index.php

What about 1.4?

We are hoping to be able to share more about the plans for Terraria 1.4 on Console/Switch in the July State of the Game. We are absolutely planning to bring Journey's End to these platforms (since we have seen some rumors stating otherwise), but we know you want the juicy details about what might happen when. Cannot necessarily promise that perfect level of detail next time - but we hope to be able to give some general ideas into the path ahead. :cool:

What about Splitscreen/Local?

Splitscreen has been one of those nagging issues since the launch of Terraria on Nintendo Switch. To get everyone on the same page, the feature does actually exist on the development side, however it is just subject to some rather impactful performance issues - particularly in high-action sequences when both players are on screen at the same time (a Martian Madness invasion in an arena with late game weaponry). The debate has always been centered around what would be "good enough" performance for this feature. Adding to that, as content continued to be layered-on, the risk of getting into a fixed-broken-fixed-broken cycle was a real concern. To be sure, attempts to improve the splitscreen performance have been made over time - with some marked gains - but the performance standard has still not been met.

Ok, so that was the rationale - what's the plan? We have said that we wanted to address the Splitscreen issues in a post-1.3.5 era, which we are in now. Splitscreen will be addressed in parallel during the Journey's End development cycle. We will leave no stone unturned in this quest, and we can only ask for your continued patience as we try to stand up this overdue feature for everyone.

index.php

MOBILE - DR STUDIOS

Hello everyone!

So we know that you enjoyed our little "reveal" last month - we did too. ;)

As we said then, there remains a LOT to get done in order to get the entirety of 1.3.1 - 1.4 pulled together for you. Currently, we are at a place where a lot of the new features are in and at least partially functional... while others are still waiting in the wings. We are making huge strides, and we are happy to share a little bit of that progress below.

Remember that these are early development builds, so UI elements are subject to change and you very likely will see bugs (especially visual bugs or performance things) in any of these early screens or short videos. Don't worry, we will get all of those ironed out before the end.

Can you spot all of the fun new things in this video?

Still no update on exact timing. A lot of that will come down to iterations between DR Studios and Re-Logic on UI design elements (and there are a lot of them!) as well as the massive ton of testing that will be needed on both sides... seriously, it is going to be a lot to check over between 1.3 and 1.4. :eek:

We hope this little sneak peak has kept you satiated for now... more to come along our own path to Journey's End!

index.php

COMMUNITY

Discord Alliances & Joint Community Events!

With the transition into Summer we thought it would be fun to start having some new and creative events for prizes. Teamwork makes the dream work so why not be innovators and form alliances with other awesome gaming communities on Discord. These alliances are very exciting and will include both community collaboration with our alliance partners and fun joint events. Let us give a warm welcome to our new Discord alliance servers: r/leagueoflegends, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and /r/Overwatch.

We are currently in the middle of an /r/Overwatch joint event. The rules are simple: create fan art or other content depicting both Overwatch and Terraria themes. You can vote for the event entries here: Terraria x Overwatch Art Event Voting Gauntlet

There are already some cool submissions:

Join us June 27 for our r/LeagueOfLegends joint event and July 11 for our Animal Crossing: New Horizons joint event. Start working on your submissions now and best of luck to all participants. All entries must be submitted via Discord.

We have some other exciting alliances in the works and will update the Terraria community as they form. We are also actively reviewing potential community alliances. If you are part of a community that you believe would be a great fit for a Terraria alliance then ask your server admin to reach out on Discord to MrGameTheory#8778 our Terraria Community Manager at 505 Games.

index.php

We Have a Winner - First Grand Prize Claimed on Terraria Discord Server!

Congratulations Quartz on being an epic Terrarian!

Let us put our hands together and give a massive round of applause to Quartz#6961 for being the first person in the Terraria community to win the grand prize available in the official Terraria Discord server prize shop. Quartz earned 2.5 million prize points and used all of them to unlock The Winner role and some incredible prizes including signed merchandise, free games, Terraria collectibles, and much more.

As many of you know, the official Terraria Discord server has its very own prize shop with some epic swag. 24/7 you can log into our Discord server and participate in events, trivia, epic battles, and other fun activities to win prizes. Come stop by the official Terraria Discord server and participate in our fun activities and let us see if you have what it takes to top our activities Leader Board.

The 1.4 mobile rocks

I have the Xbox version too. I know there's a UI size option, but it doesn't really help me because it just makes the UI bigger. I don't know if it's got something to do with the size of your TV, but for me I can only switch it between two sizes: 100% and 125%, both of which don't help.

What I was talking about is a setting that most modern games have where you can make the UI closer or farther from the middle of the screen. You align the four arrows (or the white box on some games) to the edges of the screen to fit your TV.
When I said UI option, I was talking in in the Xbox menus options, not Terraria.

just listened to the Terraria: Otherworld soundtrack, and it is Marvelous.
I hope that maybe for 1.4.1 there could be an option to be able to switch the Terraria: Otherworld music with the Terraria music.

When I said UI option, I was talking in in the Xbox menus options, not Terraria.

Ah. I apologize. I do know there is "Apps can add borders", and I have it on, but Terraria doesn't support that. There are also resolution options too, but that doesn't fix overscan. Maybe there's one that I missed?

If I’m getting this straight, 1.4 is coming out on Xbox 1 soon??? FINALLY IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS SENSE IT WAS TEASED

i re-read the entirety of the SotG, and i don't see where you're getting this information.

yes, it's coming to ALL current-gen consoles... but where did you get "soon"?

they're still working on polishing the game's current version and adding some QoL stuff.

next month, we'll probably get SOME info on 1.4, but that means nothing at the moment.

i highly doubt we're getting it this year.

i re-read the entirety of the SotG, and i don't see where you're getting this information.

yes, it's coming to ALL current-gen consoles... but where did you get "soon"?

they're still working on polishing the game's current version and adding some QoL stuff.

next month, we'll probably get SOME info on 1.4, but that means nothing at the moment.

i highly doubt we're getting it this year.
we have to have some hope,right?

Can we get an option for the exaggerated blood effects from before the 1.4 update? The new ones are too tame and sometimes barely noticeable. Also the corruption thorns don't seem to grow out as they should.

maybe it was too good

I was guessing that was probably what you meant, thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I followed the whole Otherworld thing, at least as far as one could from what was posted here. Which wasn't much at all, so I might have 1% of the story at most, and never even saw those Otherworld developer comments you mentioned. All I can say for sure is that those screenshots had better visuals at least, and even if it was just a better looking version of Terraria, I was excited right there. It's cool that 1.4 brushed up a lot of sprites, but it really needs a complete redo of all the visuals from the ground up, (preferably with a modestly higher base resolution for sprites and tiles,) and only a true sequel will ever make that happen. Anyway, from those visual upgrades I couldn't help but imagine Otherworld similarly improved other aspects of the game, which further fueled my interest, even if the justification was a bit flimsy. Though, we now finally know it made the music better for certain, so that's a little more evidence toward being all around better.

Regardless though, it went quiet and then got canceled so we may never know how good it was unless a leak happens. And we similarly may never publicly know what went wrong, (and even if someone talked, that'd only be one side of the story,) but I'd like to believe that the game simply had problems. Seems to me that whole dueling biome thing might have been a tough concept to actually get right in terms of balance and fun, for one thing. Plus, the thought of losing out on a better, prettier Terraria over petty reasons is a hard one to stomach.

With all that said, I'm not as disappointed by 1.4 as you were, though I do understand your complaints. Personally, I always tended to go mostly brawn with combat anyway, and mostly only build for aesthetic purposes aside from the practicality of teleporter networks, so there weren't a lot of changes in that regard for me. Master mode was a real disappointment though, since I really assumed it'd have much better exclusive loot to offset how unfun and obnoxious the increase the enemy health and damage was. Suffice it to say, it did not. Empress of Light's loot was also underwhelming for being a new nearly endgame tier boss, and yes, I include the terraprisma in that statement. It really needed the ability to target enemies through blocks at all times, not just when it was already "awake." The only truly exciting new weapon was the Zenith, but it's not really a part of the game at all in any meaningful way. Otherwise, 1.4 pretty much has the same problems the game always did as I see it. Oh, and NPC happiness was a decent idea on its face but in practice all that really matters is not overcrowding. Should have been more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom