Terraria State of the Game - June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS is no longer being updated, due to hardware limitations and being an outdated console.

Sorry :(
It's outdated as far as the Switch being released, but the major limitation was making it cross-compatiable with the old-gen 3DS. The New 3DS probably could handle Moon Lord, but Old-gen definitely can't as old-gen has a history of crashing during or after the fight with Plantera (its happened to me each time on non New 3DS systems).

I could maybe see a new patch to correct some of the lingering bugs at least, just no major boss or content additions

But that's not enough for me.

No. Really, I didn't have fun. It wasn't fun at all and I was just wanting to gain some prestige, and obviously, the prizes.

Yes, it matters. And matters a lot for me. That's why I cared to complain here. At least I want the Devs to see how angry and sad I'm now.

Oh yes, special. Hunph. 😤

Not people in general, I want the Devs to say that Terrarian's build was the BEST OF ALL.
Please don't care about me, nothing can comfort me now. Stop wasting your time and go play Terraria.
Not gonna lie but you sound like a Sore Loser to me. If you're coming into a contest with the mindset that you have you'll no doubt lose. Also humility goes a long way pal

Not gonna lie but you sound like a Sore Loser to me. If you're coming into a contest with the mindset that you have you'll no doubt lose. Also humility goes a long way pal
The problem is that I was having a lot of expectation of winning because there weren't so much competitors, and I was thinking that the people who were going to judge my entry would like it more because I did a lot of work for that.
The injustice here, is that the person who posted the living tree was dishonest because he/she tried to put his entry in the 'Steam Workshop - Worlds' Category knowing that what he/she did was a screenshot, or a couple of screenshots, having the option to put it in the 'Screenshots' Category. And why am I saying that? Because this person knew that there where lots of competitors/ people who put their entries in the screenshot category and he/she also knew that his/her chances of winning would be a trash if he/she put his/her entry there, and that was not the case if he/she put it in the same category as mine, and that's what he/she did.
Then, he/she won, and I'm sad because of that, mainly, but not totally.

My friend's tv is a little weird and for most games he can't see the edges of the screen, so he can't see his mana and stuff. I was wondering if you will be able to change the screen size in 1.4 (or if you could add that).

My friend's tv is a little weird and for most games he can't see the edges of the screen, so he can't see his mana and stuff. I was wondering if you will be able to change the screen size in 1.4 (or if you could add that).
I feel like this is on your friend's tv. I'm pretty sure you can change the game resolution in the options menu. if not, your friend can just change their tv's resolution directly.

The problem is that I was having a lot of expectation of winning because there weren't so much competitors, and I was thinking that the people who were going to judge my entry would like it more because I did a lot of work for that.
The injustice here, is that the person who posted the living tree was dishonest because he/she tried to put his entry in the 'Steam Workshop - Worlds' Category knowing that what he/she did was a screenshot, or a couple of screenshots, having the option to put it in the 'Screenshots' Category. And why am I saying that? Because this person knew that there where lots of competitors/ people who put their entries in the screenshot category and he/she also knew that his/her chances of winning would be a trash if he/she put his/her entry there, and that was not the case if he/she put it in the same category as mine, and that's what he/she did.
Then, he/she won, and I'm sad because of that, mainly, but not totally.

Hi,

I'm sure you're dissapointed, very dissapointed, and angry, but you can't attest to what Lego_ did or didn't know, or their reasons for entering in one category rather than another. That is purely your own supposition.

As Lego_'s world was uploaded to Steam, it qualified for that category. There were no other requirements for that category, so why shouldn't they have entered it into that one?

You clearly spent some time and effort on your entry, and I do like it, but I'm afraid it doesn't compare to Lego_'s. Yours is flat, and doesn't look that different to a mincart track that would naturally spawn in the game.

Within Lego_'s tree, they crafted a huge variety of rooms, each of which are unique and would have taken substantially more than several days, several weeks being likely.

I'm not denying your effort, not at all, but to call your not winning an injustice is unfair; unfair to Lego_ and to the judges.

Being upset is perfectly fine and understandable, I don't think anyone would say otherwise, but accusing someone of being dishonest and thereby insinuating they cheated, is not.

Be upset, but please, don't be bad sport.

Hi,

I'm sure you're dissapointed, very dissapointed, and angry, but you can't attest to what Lego_ did or didn't know, or their reasons for entering in one category rather than another. That is purely your own supposition.

As Lego_'s world was uploaded to Steam, it qualified for that category. There were no other requirements for that category, so why shouldn't they have entered it into that one?

You clearly spent some time and effort on your entry, and I do like it, but I'm afraid it doesn't compare to Lego_'s. Yours is flat, and doesn't look that different to a mincart track that would naturally spawn in the game.

Within Lego_'s tree, they crafted a huge variety of rooms, each of which are unique and would have taken substantially more than several days, several weeks being likely.

I'm not denying your effort, not at all, but to call your not winning an injustice is unfair; unfair to Lego_ and to the judges.

Being upset is perfectly fine and understandable, I don't think anyone would say otherwise, but accusing someone of being dishonest and thereby insinuating they cheated, is not.

Be upset, but please, don't be bad sport.
I can see that you really didn't see my minecarts world complete, like downloading it, and playing. I put a lot of effort and IT'S NOT LIKE ANY NORMAL MINECART TRACK THAT YOU WOULD SEE NORMALLY. That understood, I want you to know that I also spent a lot of time, that I could have used for whatever else.
And if you want to know about my opinion, I didn't really like that tree, it's ugly, and it's like any living tree that a normal player would build, except that it's full of random useless stuff inside. Keep your comment with you, I don't want to discuss with every member of this forum just because I'm angry about this situation. Let me alone.

I can see that you really didn't see my minecarts world complete, like downloading it, and playing. I put a lot of effort and IT'S NOT LIKE ANY NORMAL MINECART TRACK THAT YOU WOULD SEE NORMALLY. That understood, I want you to know that I also spent a lot of time, that I could have used for whatever else.
And if you want to know about my opinion, I didn't really like that tree, it's ugly, and it's like any living tree that a normal player would build, except that it's full of random useless stuff inside. Keep your comment with you, I don't want to discuss with every member of this forum just because I'm angry about this situation. Let me alone.
It doesn’t matter how upset you are about loosing or how good you think your build was, that does not give you the excuse to insult others hard work. And if your so upset about the negative attention you’ve been getting, at this point the best I can tell you is to accept your loss and move on.

Or at the very least be a good sport about it.

I can clearly see you're angry that your build didn't make it. I never expect to win, and if I lose, I accept it and support others because it has passed and they deserve a congratulations. If I don't like a certain build I just don't say it, because it's better to just keep everyone neutral than make someone upset. As everyone said, be a good sport. I have no right to say that you are a sore loser or etc. and it is up to you to decide who you want to be. I appreciate everyone's works and the winners, they are also the devs opinion. But to them the winners were honored to see the devs selecting their submission: so everyone congratulated them, because Terraria has come such a long way, making everyone here happy, and to see how much the community grew.

To be honest, while I did put a lot of effort into my submission, pretty much all of the effort was from several years ago, when I was awful at building. I wanted to make something better, but I just didn't have any motivation so I knew I'd have no chance of winning. But like my mom just said when I talked about this with her: "you have to consider all of the months and years of effort and practice put into it."

Not only the submissions. The sheer development and community, everything about this amazing game puts tears in my eyes. To see this game progress, to see the fanbase rejoice, to see the amazing things and elements the developers have considered, is simply amazing. This game singlehandedly helped me survive 2020, I love it so much. If it wasn't for Terraria making so many memories and happiness I swear that suicide should have hit me earlier. Thank you, Redigit and the rest of the devs for making this amazing experience.

i would've expected them to release figures in the most likely order you'd come across them in-game.

That may make sense from a purist's perspective - however, in the world of merchandise and retail, you tend to lead off based on popularity. You have to earn the right for that "second series/wave" in the end, after all. :)

Loving the names of those figures.
"Solar Flare armor"
"Vortex armor"
"Nebula armor"
..."Summoner armor"

One of these is not like the others :p

Summoner gets the short end of the stick, once again lol

Packaging isn't final - obviously, as you can tell. The team just missed one of the placeholder names. Oops. :p

Also, I found out that if you legally downgrade the pc version, it is able to join mobile, but mobile cannot join pc because of needing to "Port Forward", any way to somehow modify the way the pc version hosts the world so it can also be done locally without having to port forward? (suggestion for crossplay)

Port forwarding is required for any server or peer-to-peer hosting of Terraria multiplayer with the exception of where a system exists (Steam, Xbox Live, etc) beyond the game to connect players. This is true of the GOG version of PC as well as Mobile as of this time. The team will be examining this at a future date, but the focus for now has to be on content parity. Port Forwarding is *NOT* required if you merely wish to join someone else's game.

Can I change this:

Unsure at the moment - there are a lot of things one can toggle in settings, and I cannot profess to have tried them all. I'll ask DR.

If it is possible, can you also tell me where the bossbar is located, please?

Bottom-Center of the screen.

can the 505/DR-Re-Logic QA teams make sure they test local splitscreen thoroughly.

That's the plan. COVID/WFH situations make this more challenging than previously, but perhaps we can recruit our family members to help. ;)

Do you plan to add keyboard configuration for Xbox gamers? I've always wanted to play Terraria on the keyboard but I only have a Xbox. I'm loving your work, congratulations.

Keyboard and Mouse support for console was announced several months ago - in case you missed it>

I wish I could play local split-screen in tabletop mode on Switch as well, since I don't dock but once in a blue moon

Not sure we can promise that would be possible. That is a VERY small playing area there.

Mobile already has 1.4. That said I'm wondering where they'll take mobile next (I'm hoping they make controller support a little less janky when they update).

Personally, I find Mobile gamepad to be superior to what we have on console 1.3. Curious though, janky in what way?

Mobile will move to 1.4.X content-wise, as well as hopefully some porting-over of fun things that console has seen arrive during its development, like the UI editor and... yes hopefully KB+M support.

I mean by 1.4.1! It have more features! Then it is time for cross play after that!

Crossplay exploration cannot begin until all platforms are at content parity in regards to core content.

It's outdated as far as the Switch being released, but the major limitation was making it cross-compatiable with the old-gen 3DS. The New 3DS probably could handle Moon Lord, but Old-gen definitely can't as old-gen has a history of crashing during or after the fight with Plantera (its happened to me each time on non New 3DS systems).

I could maybe see a new patch to correct some of the lingering bugs at least, just no major boss or content additions

The 3DS - even the "new" 3DS is just not remotely capable of handling anything post 1.2 era. As a reminder, the minimum specifications for the game saw a jump with the onset of 1.3 (for all platforms). Especially in required RAM to run.

n3DS has 256mb of RAM (192mb Available to programs) and 3DS has 128mb (96mb available to programs)

Terraria 1.3 on PC required 2gb of RAM. You can only optimize so far.

Yes, there is an in-game safe zone/screen adjustment.

Is console still going to be limited to the amount of worlds we are allowed now? Or will it match PC?

Likely will have some limit, due to how consoles utilize cloud storage for saves nowadays (vs the ability to go all-local, such as with PC/Mobile) and/or other first party requirements for total storage footprint (I know that has been a thing in the past). Unknown what that will be yet.

That may make sense from a purist's perspective - however, in the world of merchandise and retail, you tend to lead off based on popularity. You have to earn the right for that "second series/wave" in the end, after all. :)

Packaging isn't final - obviously, as you can tell. The team just missed one of the placeholder names. Oops. :p

Port forwarding is required for any server or peer-to-peer hosting of Terraria multiplayer with the exception of where a system exists (Steam, Xbox Live, etc) beyond the game to connect players. This is true of the GOG version of PC as well as Mobile as of this time. The team will be examining this at a future date, but the focus for now has to be on content parity. Port Forwarding is *NOT* required if you merely wish to join someone else's game.

Unsure at the moment - there are a lot of things one can toggle in settings, and I cannot profess to have tried them all. I'll ask DR.

Bottom-Center of the screen.

That's the plan. COVID/WFH situations make this more challenging than previously, but perhaps we can recruit our family members to help. ;)

Keyboard and Mouse support for console was announced several months ago - in case you missed it>

Not sure we can promise that would be possible. That is a VERY small playing area there.

Personally, I find Mobile gamepad to be superior to what we have on console 1.3. Curious though, janky in what way?

Mobile will move to 1.4.X content-wise, as well as hopefully some porting-over of fun things that console has seen arrive during its development, like the UI editor and... yes hopefully KB+M support.

Crossplay exploration cannot begin until all platforms are at content parity in regards to core content.

The 3DS - even the "new" 3DS is just not remotely capable of handling anything post 1.2 era. As a reminder, the minimum specifications for the game saw a jump with the onset of 1.3 (for all platforms). Especially in required RAM to run.

n3DS has 256mb of RAM (192mb Available to programs) and 3DS has 128mb (96mb available to programs)

Terraria 1.3 on PC required 2gb of RAM. You can only optimize so far.

Yes, there is an in-game safe zone/screen adjustment.
Mobile 1.4 gamepad is janky in the way that you have to map it each time you pair a new gamepad to the device. And I don't know about you, but each time I've had to do it it's resulted in loads of frustration due to trying to get it to mirror the same mapping I have on Console, and it doesn't always work out since some functions get disabled when you remap. To add insult to injury the game doesn't seem to recognize when you've got a pair of joycon paired instead of just one, which gets to me even in other apps where I'd use my joycons.

As for the small play area on Switch I tend to play zoomed in unless I'm fighting a boss, even on PS4 and Xbox One. The standard zoom makes it harder for me to see what I'm doing, especially if I don't have my glasses (and when I'm playing late at night you can bet I don't have my glasses on).

Then again I also played the game the most on 3DS and old-gen consoles (and yes, I'm lumping the PS Vita into the old-gen console list because it shares the trophy set with PS3 and PS4, even though I say PS4 needs it's own individual trophy list to mirror what's available on Switch, mobile and PC). With that in mind I got comfortable with a certain mapping, and I try to carry that mapping over to whatever I play the game on, with the exception of 3DS cause 3DS is the jankiest of them all controls wise

Packaging isn't final - obviously, as you can tell.
You forgot the "u" in "armour"...
Were you ever able to learn if a player can use both at once? Typing is going to be crucial in Journey Mode, and currently typing in-game on console is a nightmare. It would be good if we can play on controller, but type with KB+M, otherwise finding an item quickly without being killed will be tricky, especially in multiplayer where there's no pause.

You forgot the "u" in "armour"...
1624987411876.png

it doesn't have a u in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom