Terraria State of the Game - June 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this work with Mechanisms?
For example, it would be interesting to combine it with Logic Sensor to create something like a hidden room!

112.png

for anyone looking at this to see if this game is worth it well I have not owned this game for long but I have 847.7 hours that is exactly 1.1612316 months
the amount of effort in this post alone shows this is a great game

Last edited:
@Loki

How about adding something like craftable Potion Sac? So you can quick buff directly from it and your inventory is clean. IMO that would be very useful :)

Last edited:
TLDR: Bring back the throwing class!
Though I miss the novelty of having this Class around myself, it just didn't make sense anymore from a gameplay perspective. Throwing Class didn't change the game, or the way a Player approached Terraria enough to justify its existence. I would've loved to see the Class dissolve into Melee Class instead of Ranger though, but I'm sure that might've caused more issues; there is a point in Hardmode where the Classes seem to converge IMHO. 😏 🤷‍♂️

• My main problem with this game is the amount of grinding required to progress. At some point during your adventures you will hit a roadblock in progression: you can grind enemies for better weapons, or you can grind a boss until you beat it. In my experience, both options take about the same amount of time, but it's clear you devs want us to pick the more fun option of fighting bosses, because in the last update there were massive strides taken to make grinding for equipment an even greater chore than it was in 1.3. Now if you want to get anything that has less than a 5% drop chance, instead of being rewarded for being creative (in a sandbox game) players are encouraged to download an all-items world and skip all grinding, which ruins the game imo. While discouraging any player from grinding in this time-consuming vortex of a game is a good thing, I don't think the many anti-afk changes were designed with as much care as the rest of the update was. To me it feels eerily similar to the torch-luck implementation in that the devs want you to play their sandbox game the way they want you to. Afk farms take a lot of time, effort, and planning to work properly. Players should feel rewarded for their creative efforts towards exploiting the game within its own rules, not punished. Instead the changes have strongly encouraged players to either start a journey-mode world, toil for hours grinding on a standard world, or download an all-items world and completely break progression.
I strongly recommend Journey Mode if you don't like grinding; it's a mode that checks a number of very specific boxes if you just wanna get to playing the actual game, but it unfortunately won't help much with Player Greed/ obsession.
  1. If you want to build a specific structure, it's more about resource gathering and research [Journey Mode] to meet the minimum requirements, less about running back and forth to gather more of the thing you already gathered the first time.
  2. On higher difficulties, it's much easier to be "Boss Ready" much sooner, following the same principles as #1 [Journey Mode]. So long as you have the Weapon(s) or items you plan to use, nearly all of your consumables can simply be refreshed, same goes for Boss Summoning items and Ammunition.
  3. Money/ Gold is also another barrier to entry that get completely removed, so if you find unique items from the Traveling Merchant, you can buy them almost immediately, same goes for the Bar Keep [Journey Mode].

• On this train of thought, fishing was similarly nerfed farther than it ever needed to. The time-reward ratio is far too high for anyone who respects their sleep schedule to even consider trying as an alternative to grinding through the world. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the nerfs to the Reaver Shark or to crates. Those items completely broke progression is a way that made natural pre-plantera progression a complete joke. What ruined fishing wasn't the nerfs themselves, but the lack of any substantial rewards in their place. There just isn't enough of an incentive to go fishing when the only benefit you can get from it is a couple of achievements (200 is 100 too many), and alternative accessories in case you got unlucky with world-gen.
Actually, there's quite a few legitimate reasons to fish on any difficulty.
  • Frog items allow the player to craft Master Ninja Gear comparable-tiered items in pre-Hardmode.
    • Frog Gear
    • Amphibian Boots
    • Frog Flipper/ Webbing
  • Collecting a determined number of any Crates can then simply be researched and duplicated [Journey Mode].
  • The Angler is much more forgiving when handing out Fishing Rewards, for both Builders and Adventurers.
  • The Magic Conch, though not a Ocean Biome exclusive item makes traveling to the Ocean(s) much faster!
  • Underworld Fishing is possible almost immediately after Hardmode Starts, if you're lucky...

• I know I'm not the only one that feels that melee has gotten special attention, and for good reason. "Melee" covers seven different sub-class weapons, while range covers five, mage covers four, and summoner covers three. The variety of unique play-styles available to melee players alone can account for the same variety of the mage and summoner classes combined! I would love to see more variety with the rest of the other classes. Instead of just increasing their stats, how about add more items that synergize with different weapons. For example: ranged could get some more unique bullets that interact differently (ie. rubber bullets that send enemies flying), mages could have weapons that change the way projectiles interact (ie. projectiles will accelerate towards the cursor), and summoners could have literally anything that lets them survive more than a single hit.
To their credit, the Devs did go the extra mile to male more "Class Neutral Items".
  • Bone Helm
  • Bone Glove
  • pre-Hardmode Sentries*
  • Crystal Assassins Gear
  • Volatile Gelatin
  • Blade Staff*
  • Sanguine Staff*
*Though it's obvious these Weapons are Summoner items, it's undeniable that every Class would benefit from using it without any substantial drawbacks or disruption to gameplay.

• There were a lot of other minute changes to the game that felt like downgrades when I first updated that I would love to see reverted. The first of which was how vanity accessory slots were changed to only allow the use of vanity-viable accessories. The vanilla inventory system is already extremely limiting, even with all of the extra global storage systems. Having those extra vanity slots to store my alternate accessories really helped me to swap my play-styles on the go without the need to fill up my already cluttered inventory. Another change that I'm sure only a small handful of people noticed was the removal of automated liquid duplication through the use of pumps. I get that one though; it was a bug and nobody but me cared about it, but this is my rant so I'm including this on here anyway. While I'm complaining about random things that nobody else cares about, let us get those two expert-mode exclusive statues in Journey Mode!
I agree, the Accessory Slot changes where a bit head scratchy, I'm still not sure 'til this day what he point of that was...

• Some other things I would like to see is a way to fully automate storage, crafting, placing blocks, and interacting. Let's fully automate terraria, factorio-style! I liked the new pylon system, but my npcs seem to care a little too much which biome they are in, I should be able to bribe my npcs to being happy. I love the new traps and I would love to see more :). The void-bag has the potential to permanently fix inventory issues forever. All you have to do is allow for the void bank to automatically sort items into nearby chests. It doesn't matter if you use a mechanical hopper to automate sorting or if it just gains the ability to quick sort (best addition to all of terraria btw), anything will massively overhaul the largest issue with this game since its conception. If nothing else, let us expand our inventory when we enter hardmode.
The Void Bag having some sort of Auto-Sorting ability would be brilliant, but we're also getting a major buff to Player and Chest stack-size limit in 1.4.4.

Please understand this comes from a place of love from a long-time dedicated fan of this game. I like to take my sweet time building with obscure techniques and collecting every item, and in doing so I have seen the best in this game, and I have seen the worst in this game. I love this game to death, and I deeply appreciate all the time and energy you developers have put forth through this game. I've seen version come and go, and no matter how this game turns out I'm sure I'll be playing it for decades to come. <3
🙏😇❤️

Last edited:
Though I miss the novelty of having this Class around myself, it just didn't make sense anymore from a gameplay perspective. Throwing Class didn't change the game, or the way a player approached the game enough to justify its existence. I would've loved to see the Class dissolve into Melee instead of Ranger Class though, but I'm sure that might've cause more issues, though there is a point in Hardmode the Classes seem to converge IMHO. 😏 🤷‍♂️
They could've tried to expand on the class instead of just scrapping it completely... I know it probably won't return to vanilla, but a person can dream, right?

They could've tried to expand on the class instead of just scrapping it completely... I know it probably won't return to vanilla, but a person can dream, right?
I'm sure the Devs could've gotten pretty creative up and until about mid-game, but unfortunately almost every Class starts to look eerily similar to one another nearer to the endgame IMHO. Everyone's just tossing out projectiles at that point, and even though Summoner is in quite the unique state via 2022, there are still players that think that Whips are still too short. 😏 🤷‍♂️

Side Note: I'm still hearing complaints about the Mana Sickness gimmick remaining until late-game as well.

Considering the fact that Melee didn't get an overhaul itself until recently, or up until the release of 1.4.4, I don't really see much of what Throwing Class would've brought to the table. I strongly believe that the gimmicks would've seriously gotten in the way at a certain point of progression, especially if the "consumable item" gimmick remained up until late-Hardmode.

I honestly don't really care much about the class mechanism at all and will go from one to another during a playthrough depending on what I find at any point. I'm actually a bit annoyed by some mods that decide to take extra steps to enforce "class purity", like Calamity nerfing summon damage if you select a non-summon weapon for example. (Though that should be a bit less irritating now that there are whips.)

I don't see what point there was in making throwing damage different from ranged damage. Felt very artificial. It's kind of like if you had a Sword class and a Melee class and people got upset that swords got folded back into Melee. "Bring back sword class! I want stuff that boost melee combat to be useless when wielding a sword, it makes the game better somehow!"

I honestly don't really care much about the class mechanism at all and will go from one to another during a playthrough depending on what I find at any point.
For me, it's been the opposite ever since I finished my first class run (3 player run in master mode, I was mage there. Was actually my first time killing ML too), though I understand class runs aren't for everyone.
I'm actually a bit annoyed by some mods that decide to take extra steps to enforce "class purity", like Calamity nerfing summon damage if you select a non-summon weapon for example. (Though that should be a bit less irritating now that there are whips.)
Yeah, I gotta agree with this one. The summon damage nerf wasn't too annoying for me during my main run of the mod, mostly because I really just stuck to a few backup weapons, along with spamming the borealis bomber, but it still bothered me a bit.
I don't see what point there was in making throwing damage different from ranged damage. Felt very artificial. It's kind of like if you had a Sword class and a Melee class and people got upset that swords got folded back into Melee. "Bring back sword class! I want stuff that boost melee combat to be useless when wielding a sword, it makes the game better somehow!"
Fair point, honestly. I guess for me it's mostly just nostalgia, because I started playing the game in 1.3, and kinda just loved the fossil stuff a ton-

Spoilers though? We've got one for you!

Something about the illusion of transparency.gif

Wow, when you guys said you were going to be transparent with us about the new update, you weren't kidding!
Interesting...

I imagine you make a whole town or complex disappear and forget where it was.

Greetings Terrarians!

We don't know about you, but the heat this summer has been brutal so far to us! Sounds like a good excuse to grab some gaming time and catch up on the latest and greatest Terraria news, right? Development work on the Labor of Love update is in full swing across both the Re-Logic and DR Studios teams - and we are really excited for some of the juicy spoilers that we have in store for you this month (on top of those we have already shared this month in case you missed them on our socials). That said, grab a cold beverage, cool off, and settle in for this month's State of the Game!

index.php

STATE OF THE GAME - TABLE OF CONTENTS

PC NEWS - RE-LOGIC

TMODLOADER NEWS - TML TEAM

CONSOLE NEWS - DR STUDIOS

MOBILE NEWS - DR STUDIOS

COMMUNITY NEWS

index.php

index.php

TERRARIA - LABOR OF LOVE UPDATE

Labor of Love really feels like it is living up to its name more and more as each week of development goes by. The team has conducted a couple of playthroughs along the way, and we have found these to be some of the more fun and unique sessions that we have had for years. We have shared a lot of what is going into this update thus far, but rest assured that we have held some rather substantial changes and additions close to the vest as is tradition. We have a bit more to share this month... but some things you will have to discover yourself when Labor of Love launches.

No, we still do not have a date to give you - but we do see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Spoilers though? We've got one for you!

View attachment 375078
Wow, when you guys said you were going to be transparent with us about the new update, you weren't kidding!

index.php

STEAM WORKSHOP NEWS
Another month and another 1000 additions to the Workshop - with over 57,000 packs and worlds so far, you are missing out if you haven't taken the time to check out the Workshop yet.

We hope to get around to doing some "summer cleaning" of the Workshop once Labor of Love settles down a bit. If you get what we mean. (some of this has already begun) %-_-

Click the banner above to check out the Terraria Workshop!

index.php

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON?

Right now, the core focus of the time is the final push to get Labor of Love done to what we have as the vision for the update. Still have that one eye on the future though. :)

index.php

As always, keep your bug reports coming via the handy bug report button below!

index.php

Thanks again, Terrarians - we are as always blown away by your support!

Back to Table of Contents
index.php

index.php

Hello everyone!

On June 2, 2022, we launched tModLoader for Terraria 1.4+ to Terrarians everywhere. This was the result of countless hours of hard work by the TML Team and many other contributors over the span of nearly two years, and the team is beyond thrilled to have TML 1.4 in your hands. We specifically want to recognize the following folks whom have made invaluable contributions to the TML project since Journey's End released in 2020:

direwolf420, Chik3r, ExterminatorX99, ThomasThePencil, Itorius, Steviegt6, Rartrin, Agrair, Ishigh1, DarkLight66, DarioDaF, kittenchilly, Dual-Iron, MrSlimeDude, sgkoishi, OliHeamon, RighteousRyan1, Igmc, NotLe0n, Pixelnando, daim03, fakelag, andrewlord607, pollen00, einarmo, Setnour6, MutantWafflez, Ozzatron, Antirhinnum, CriddleZap, jackbondpreston, Pbone3, ModernMAK, Crapsky233, absoluteAquarian, rjmarzec, ubnt-intrepid, ScalarVector1, Pacnysam, Falcon-05, staticfox, JPANv2, Nyrest, Naginif, D1plex, georgewoodall82, Tyfyter, zzp198, SpencerDawg, RunningDroid, Trivaxy, SadOnion, miarodri, sdegueldre, JamzOhJamz, Ved-s, BarteQ778177, Lumelore, RuneZhevitz, Dinoxel, jjohnsnaill, xKirtle, MikhailMCraft,terrynmuse, hannest03, Fatiz, Valjean42, TomaszOleszko, Rijam, IbanPlay, Fragstiller, S-Pladison

index.php

tModLoader Steam Workshop - Now Available!
View attachment 375076

The launch of TML 1.4 also allowed the team to bring the tModLoader Steam Workshop online. We have already seen nearly 1,400 mods make their way onto the Workshop in the first month alone, with some of the more well-known mods being added to the Workshop in recent days. Coupled with the in-game mod browser, the TML Steam Workshop is a great way to explore what modded Terraria has to offer - check it out today by clicking the banner above!
index.php

tModLoader 1.3 Still Available

Of course, the developers behind each individual Terraria mod will need to update their mods to the 1.4 era, so hang with them while that process takes place. We also realize that some older mods that are no longer in development may never make the leap to the 1.4 era. Given that, we have kept the 1.3.5 version of TML playable

How do I switch to back to 1.3 tModLoader?
1. Right click on tModLoader in Steam and select 'Properties...', then 'BETAS';
2. Select '1.3-legacy' in the drop-down menu on top;
3. Close the window. You don't need to type any passwords!
index.php

WHAT'S NEXT FOR TML?

One of the biggest priorities this last month has been to rapidly respond to release issues, and fix several of the bugs that users are seeing.
We hope the upcoming July stable release will fix a large portion, but we know there is still more to do and are actively working to resolve several. We appreciate everyone's patience as we pursue a better modloader!

Our other big priority this month was fleshing out tModPorter.

This custom software, bundled with tModLoader, provides the capability to quickly bring a 1.3 mod to majority ported to 1.4.
Further still, it will also be the primary tool we provide so modders can do the minor porting for code on each monthly release moving forward.
We hope that all modders take advantage of this tool to make their lives easier, and if you have improvements, don't hesitate to reach out in our discord.

As always, you can keep track the current progress and such more in real time at tModLoader/tModLoader (But note that the completion percentage doesn't mean anything, because issues and PRs don't have weights.)

Developers who are willing to contribute may do so by doing PRs to the tModLoader/tModLoader branch. (See tModLoader/tModLoader)

index.php

TMODLOADER ISSUES/BUGS

The Re-Logic team does not directly develop TML, so bugs with TML are best reported via the links below.

tModLoader - Play Terraria with Mods!

https://tmodloader.net/discord

index.php

index.php

CONSOLES - PLAYSTATION/XBOX/SWITCH

The team at DR Studios has been feverishly working to try and keep pace with the development of Labor of Love that is taking place on the PC side of things. Yes, in case you missed last month's State of the Game, we have already begun active development of Labor of Love for Console and Mobile. In addition, earlier in June we shared a "first look" spoiler on Mobile (which you will find below in the Mobile section for any that missed it) - the first time that brand new Terraria content/features have been shown on anything other than PC. Well, we don't want our Console Terrarians feeling left out - so here's another first look at a brand new feature coming to Terraria when Labor of Love is available...

View attachment 375077
No longer contained to blocks alone, the Banners finally broke free - able to be in full display on platforms and stairs alike!

Until next time, Console friends - thanks for all of your love and support!

index.php

The team is feeling pretty good about console at this point, but we know a handful of bugs and issues are still wandering out there in the wild. We have most of these documented (again, the best way to make sure your issue is seen is to file a Bug Report in the TCF Bug Section by pressing the button below!)

index.php

index.php

Hello everyone!

So yeah, what a month! We were beyond thrilled to be able to share a first-ever new content Terraria spoiler on Mobile! After years of playing catch-up, it is such a fun time to be able to work on Mobile (and Console) in parallel to the ongoing work on PC. What's that? You missed the Mobile spoiler earlier this month? Well, allow us to share it once again below...

You may also want to check out the Console section of this month's State of the Game for yet another first-ever spoiler, this time on Switch!

Thanks as always for the honor and trust you give us each month to work on Terraria - it is not a responsibility that we take lightly, and we look forward to bringing more amazing things to you all as we move forward.

Greetings Terrarians!

Here's the latest and greatest happenings on the Community side of things. Thanks as always for being the most engaged and awesome gaming Community ever!

index.php

TERRARIA MERCHANDISE STORE HUB

The merchandise hub is where you can find all of the latest and greatest Terraria merchandise - and we are kicking off the new year with a handful of new offerings, including brand new plush! Check out the latest merch drops as well as some classics and pick up that epic Terraria gift for a friend (or yourself!).

Click the banner above to head to Terraria.org/store now!

index.php

TERRARIA MERCHANDISE UPDATES

Nothing new to share this month... but we have lots of fun stuff gearing up for the rest of the year. Hoping to be able to share some of that very soon.

index.php

OTHER COMMUNITY NEWS

TERRARIA LEGO IDEAS CONCEPT UPDATE - 2300 SUPPORTERS TO GO!

The Terraria Lego Ideas concept that we have been mentioning for the past few months (check out the State of the Game for April and May for details) is edging ever-closer to the magic 10,000 milestone. Currently sitting at around 7700 supporters, it has climbed the charts fast! If maybe, possibly, seeing such a thing happen (or maybe something else similar, who knows?) in the future piques your interest, click the link below and toss your support behind this idea.

TERRARIA LEGO IDEA PAGE

index.php

r/terraria Hits One Million Subscribers!

View attachment 375116

Congratulations to the Terraria community on reaching the incredible 1 million subscriber milestone on Reddit! This is truly a worthwhile accomplishment that we all get to share. Shoutout to the r/terraria moderators for their contributions in facilitating an awesome hub the community has grown to love.

View attachment 375117 View attachment 375119 View attachment 375118
(The yummy ice cream cakes featured at the 1 million subs r/terraria lunch party)

To celebrate the occasion, we created channels in the community where you can share your favorite r/terraria memories throughout the years. There is still time to participate and read about the awesome threads shared by the community.

If you want to share your favorite memories on r/terraria then you can share them in
If you want to share your favorite threads & memories on the forums then you can share them in r/terraria Subreddit Reaches One Million Terrarians!

index.php

OFFICIAL FRENCH TERRARIA DISCORD SERVER

We have some incredibly exciting news! Terraria is now officially partnered with Discord for an awesome new global initiative involving non-English communities! We are proud to announce the official French Terraria server located at Join the TerraServ Discord Server! If you speak French or know any Terraria players who speak French and would be interested to join the official French Terraria community then please feel free to forward them the invite.

View attachment 375120

Join for fun conversation, activities, and more! We will make additional announcements related to the French server and other non-English Terraria servers in the future. However, for now please welcome our newest verified community.

Salutations Terrariens ! Nous nous sommes associés à Discord pour créer un serveur officiel français ! Rejoignez-nous dès maintenant pour discuter, participer à des activités et bien plus encore à: Join the TerraServ Discord Server!

index.php

Until next time, Terrarians - we hope you have an amazing month, and we look forward to bringing you the latest and greatest next time!

Thank you for the amazing announcements, Terrarian Community users and admins!

I honestly don't really care much about the class mechanism at all and will go from one to another during a playthrough depending on what I find at any point.
Me an you both! 🙏 😇

On the other hand, I've played too many [video] games, Terraria included, where this minor feature [Character Class], especially having to do with tools and equipment, appears to be an absolutely vital feature for some people. I can only assume it has something to do with Role-Playing or Character Identity, but if it isn't a definitive part of the experience, they tend to enjoy the game a lot less [Elden Ring, Dark Souls II, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online, Star Wars: ToR, Champions of Norrath I & II, Diablo Series, etc]...

I'm actually a bit annoyed by some mods that decide to take extra steps to enforce "class purity", like Calamity nerfing summon damage if you select a non-summon weapon for example. (Though that should be a bit less irritating now that there are whips.)
I consider Calamity to be a terrible Mod overall, but I do acknowledge that my take on it is in the vast minority. Many of the features and caveats to gameplay seemed totally unnecessary to me, and the small details that make Terraria a unique game seemed to go completely ignored [building, mechanics, township, treasure hunting, economics]; might-as-well be playing 2D Monster Hunter.

I don't see what point there was in making throwing damage different from ranged damage. Felt very artificial.
Though this is a rather harsh take on the matter, can't say that I disagree with it. 😏 🤷‍♂️

It's kind of like if you had a Sword class and a Melee class and people got upset that swords got folded back into Melee. "Bring back sword class! I want stuff that boost melee combat to be useless when wielding a sword, it makes the game better somehow!"
Surprisingly enough, this improves gameplay for some people... though I have a hard time wrapping my head around why some gamers enjoy these types of features, the art of telling the player "NO" is a manner in which I've learned to accept it. In some instances, I do agree that telling the player "NO" can be of great benefit to some [video] games.

I believe one of the more obvious types are Hardcore RPGs, where one choice means that you don't get to experience w, x, y features in the game, but if you chose another [option], t, u, v, would be accessible instead, thus creating a certain form of "replay value". At the end of it all, most of these features are indeed "artificial", but I do acknowledge that the manner in how and why these artificial barriers are implemented, can and will have a great impact on the gameplay experience.

Bring in something like Terraria's gameplay, where each kind of Starting Map is unique [to include Secret Seeds], you have both artificial and organic replay value; any small change that might adjust the way that a Player approaching the game is sometimes more-than-enough.

Aside from the music (and the (tmod 1.3) 1.4 update being better for me), I agree. The burnout it gave me left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I've kinda hated the mod ever since.
To be somewhat fair to the Mod [and its creators], I walked away from it understanding a few details.
  1. Calamity likely came out at a time where there was no guarantee Terraria would continue to be supported by the Devs.
  2. Trying to understand Terraria's "pacing" and unique quirks on a deeper level, is extremely hard to do [took me several years].
  3. A rather large portion of the game [Terraria] is either ignored or completely unknown to the fanbase.
If anything, I just think that Calamity Mod "aged poorly", which happens quite a bit in the Modding Community [i.e. Wyrmstooth/ Skyrim Mods].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom