Terraria State of the Game - March 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAMEPAD/CONTROLLER
  • As a reminder, because of a lack of R3/L3 support on iOS, you will not find those currently available to be mapped on iOS platforms (nor will you find them in the default schemes as a result). However, with the addition of dpad and combo commands (Y vs RB+Y vs LB+Y, etc), you will have more than enough buttons to map to your wildest dreams. :)
  • Of course, should iOS add that support in the future, we will be sure to revisit this! ;)

I’m confused, iOS already supports R3/L3, they have since iOS 13’s release back in September. They support DS4 and Xbox One controllers. Sony’s remote play, Fortnite, and others use R3 and L3 controls On iOS.

Last edited:
I’m confused, iOS already supports R3/L3, they have since iOS 13’s release back in September. They support DS4 and Xbox One controllers. Sony’s remote play, Fortnite, and others use R3 and L3 controls On iOS.

What was needed was added later on in development. It won't be in for launch, but will be added in a post launch update.

Hey, I play on switch and the game keeps crashing. Think it may have something to do with the horsemans blade because it's only on the world that I use that where these crashes occur, but recently have been happening even when to using the weapon(same world)

Hey, I play on switch and the game keeps crashing. Think it may have something to do with the horsemans blade because it's only on the world that I use that where these crashes occur, but recently have been happening even when to using the weapon(same world)
Hi there @xa44, if you could use the "Post Thread" button in this section and include all the details about the world that crashes, that would be great: Console Technical Support

My game crashes any time I reach the far right of my large world in switch version of the game.
HI @Edge-Knight, there is a known issue right now on the Switch that the game will crash on large worlds if you go to your right ocean. A workaround is to zoom all the way out before approaching your right ocean.

Hi there @xa44, if you could use the "Post Thread" button in this section and include all the details about the world that crashes, that would be great: Console Technical Support

HI @Edge-Knight, there is a known issue right now on the Switch that the game will crash on large worlds if you go to your right ocean. A workaround is to zoom all the way out before approaching your right ocean.
Thanks.

Do we have an official release date for the controls update to mobile?

And as always, you guys have done such an amazing job with terraria over the years, i am excited to see what 1.4 brings to pc <3

Greetings from self-quarantine, Terrarians!

We hope that you are all doing as well as can be expected in these trying times and that everyone is doing their part to keep themselves - and your fellow humans - as healthy as possible! Please, please stay safe out there!

Across the Terraria development teams, everyone has been moving to remote working over the past week or so. For some of us, this is second nature... but for others, it is quite a transition. That said, we are doing all that we can to keep the development trains moving unabated towards the latest and greatest for everyone out there to enjoy. So, relax, kick back, and let's dive into the latest Terraria news!

PlayStation 4, XBOX ONE, Nintendo Switch - PIPEWORKS
What better way to take the edge off of everything going on outside than with some news that we know everyone will be interested in: launch dates for upcoming updates!

That's right, we are ready to reveal some more specific launch timing for the content updates that will at long last bring parity-to-PC for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch!

XBOX ONE AND PLAYSTATION 4
  • Terraria 1.3.5 is already in for review at Microsoft and Sony
  • Xbox One is expected to launch on April 2nd
  • PlayStation 4 is expected to launch on April 2nd
  • NOTE: These dates assume approval by Microsoft/Sony. If there are delays, we will let you know as soon as we know!

NINTENDO SWITCH
  • Switch is a bit longer process due to having more to add/review as well as the complications of touch controls, etc.
  • All of the 1.3.2 - 1.3.5 content is in the game
  • Work over the past few weeks has been focused on performance and stability, especially in high-particle situations
  • Review builds have been sent to Re-Logic and 505 for review/internal approvals
  • If these pass internal checks, we will then send the update to Nintendo for their review.
  • Our current plan is to have Terraria 1.3.5 out for Nintendo Switch sometime in late April - we will let you know if this changes.

Here are some fun UI-Scaling pics....

What then? Well, we are sure there will be some bugs to fix, etc... but beyond that, we are planning to implement some QoL ideas that we have had in mind for a while on XB1/PS4. For Switch, the focus will be on SplitScreen and Local Wireless Multiplayer - which we know Switch players have been dying to have for a long time.

So, next time we see you here in the State of the Game, you should either be enjoying the full Terraria experience on consoles - or darned close to it, for the Switch players. Enjoy!

index.php

MOBILE - DR STUDIOS

Last month, we shared a bit of fun stuff around the first iterations of the Virtual Controls customization system. Over the past month, we have been polishing and perfecting that - along with putting in further effort to make Gamepad feel just right. Included in that are some new default setups that we hope you will enjoy. Here are some details and some screens for your viewing pleasure!

GAMEPAD/CONTROLLER
  • We have opened up a lot of options for your customization - including some things that have not yet been seen on gamepad on other platforms. We look forward to seeing what schemes you will create with this!
  • We plan to ship with 3 defaults (plus one custom)
    • Simplified: this mode is intended for newer players and the younger set. Will likely feel a bit odd to experienced Terraria gamepad players!
    • Advanced: this default should feel familiar to experienced Terrarians, albeit with some new bells and whistles. Want an example? Check out the ability to boon-review-and-cancel below!
    • As a reminder, because of a lack of R3/L3 support on iOS, you will not find those currently available to be mapped on iOS platforms (nor will you find them in the default schemes as a result). However, with the addition of dpad and combo commands (Y vs RB+Y vs LB+Y, etc), you will have more than enough buttons to map to your wildest dreams. :)
    • Of course, should iOS add that support in the future, we will be sure to revisit this! ;)

CUSTOMIZATION
  • Players will have the ability to add, delete, and remap buttons and sticks to their heart's content - the only limit is that you need to stay within the predefined "controls" space.
  • Outside of this, everything is moveable, swappable, and comes with a handful of sizing options - we cannot wait to see what people will come up with! (be sure to share your best!)
  • Adding to this, we have included up to four customizable control profiles that you can use to create different setups.
    • Want one for building, one for bosses, and one for general exploration? Go for it!
    • These are able to be hot-swapped in-game by mapping and placing the control profile button (the little gamepad-looking one) on each profile. Then just tap the button to cycle through at your heart's content!
We didn't stop there, however! The settings menu has all sorts of new goodies for you to explore, including:
  • Cursor Sensitivity sliders
  • Pinch Zoom Enable/Disable
  • Global Use/Aim & Use settings (Always On, Always Off, Default/by item)
  • Etc.

So, we know that everyone is anxiously anticipating the key question... WHEN will we get all of this goodness?! We are happy to share that - barring any last-minute issues cropping up - we expect this update to roll out to everyone within the next few weeks - and we will narrow that down just as soon as we take care of a couple of additional items. In the meantime, we will leave you with some fun "pressure testing" that the internal testing team at Re-Logic have been putting on the current beta build.

View attachment 248586
Hanging Out with the Moon Lord

View attachment 248588
Pumpkin Moon fun (yes the event progress bar is a bit bugged, that will be fixed for release)

Until next time!

index.php

PC - RE-LOGIC

What a month it has been across the globe - we here at Re-Logic certainly hope that everyone out there has been taking care of themselves (and others) by following whatever advice your local authorities have provided. Together, we will get through this! Besides, staying indoors for a bit gives us all a chance to work on that gaming backlog, right?

The PC team remains hard at work, plowing ahead on our internal roadmap on the path to finishing Journey's End. We know that everyone would love a new handful of massive spoilers and the like (well, outside of the small ones we try to hide within the SOTG from time to time ;) ) - but the team is at a point where we have honestly spoiled all that we want to at the given time. We always like to leave a very solid handful of surprises in the game for launch day and beyond, and so it is with this update. That isn't to say we won't ever spoil anything else prior to launch... but just setting expectations and making it clear that just because we aren't showing some massive spoiler every month, that has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of progress being made. :)

We are sure that is plenty nebulous for most folks, but hopefully in the not-so-distant future, we will have some more definitive things to share.

Then again, our resident Wizard, Yoraiz0r just shared this interesting image the other day on Twitter....

Journey's End is coming ever-closer...

index.php

COMMUNITY

Greetings Terrarians!

We thought we would start out the Community section by giving a shout-out to our State of the Game Banner contest winners for this month. Featured in the amazing March banner above are the characters submitted by:

There we so many great entries once again - tough choices had to be made! We are skipping over having a SOTG theme event for April, in deference to the Journey's End Vanity Contest - in case you missed the details there, check out the link below!

Be sure to read over all of the contest details and guidelines for submission - and good luck to everyone! With over 4,000 entries as of this writing, it is going to be a tall order indeed to even pick the finalists! :eek:

index.php

COMMUNITY CALENDAR

One of our goals for 2020 was to create a coordinated community calendar among the various Terraria platforms. We are thrilled to announce that we have finally completed the calendar and it is available to the public. Remember that we will be making changes to the calendar throughout the year, and dates are always subject to change.

Check out the Terraria Yearly Community Calendar right HERE!

Within the calendar you will find that some of the events have links. Simply click on those links to be taken to their corresponding platforms. The treetop indicates reoccurring events you will find color coded on the calendar blocks. It has the time and day each event takes place. You will also find four Celestial Sigils representing the four Terraria Fraternities and pledge seasons that exist within the Terraria Community Team. At the base of the calendar are Activity Descriptions. If you do not know what an event is this key will explain it to you in detail.

Massive shoutout to Vamp#2201 and AllegroSky#7383 for their contributions to the Terraria Yearly Community Calendar. If you have any questions regarding the community calendar then please join the official Terraria Discord server at Join the Terraria Discord Server! and send a message to Mod Mail.

Our hearts are with Terrarians around the world during this challenging time. Know that we consider you all members of our family and we cherish your safety above all else. It has been a long road to Journey’s End and we are so thankful for each and every one of you that we have met along this adventure. We ask that you all try to remain safe and stay positive while we face this global struggle together. Things will improve so don’t lose hope.

Best wishes to you and your families.
I appreciate all the hard work your team is doing I just can’t wait for the switch update to be released hope it comes out real soon:)

My game crashes if I Use the terra blades pulse blades too much it kinda overloads the system I just have to make sure I don’t do that:D

Do we have an official release date for the controls update to mobile?

And as always, you guys have done such an amazing job with terraria over the years, i am excited to see what 1.4 brings to pc <3

The controls update has released today :)

So what you want to say that you want to update all version to 1.3.5 then you gonna release Journey's End.
Yeah. I said the same thing 3 or 4 months back. It's gonna drag out until 1.4 is able to release for everyone.

Screw the PC players, they can wait for everyone else.

I have Terraria on 4 platforms and counting and I love it, and I appreciate all of the support and updates that seem to continually roll out.

I recently picked up the switch version (the most expensive version I've purchased to date) and I had some items disappear when I used the touchscreen controls in my inventory. Is this a bug that has been isolated or is it an anomaly?

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere--- I have limited time in each day to find answers and my cursory findings indicated that it's a known bug, but that it needs to be replicated in order to fix it. As I'm sure you know, an inventory based game with an inventory-wiping bug is kind of unplayable, and the sole benefit of the switch version, to me at least, is the combination of touchscreen and physical controls. If the touchscreen controls don't work then I essential have a $30 display case haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom