Terraria State of the Game - May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
clicked this excitedly hoping for news.

see mobile is working on 1.4.

nothing on console.

misery... despair... this is torture. :dryadcry:
I swear. I estimate that in about a week we will have news for ps4. Then once it releases on playstation they wait a few weeks then start on xbox one 1.4.

I swear. I estimate that in about a week we will have news for ps4. Then once it releases on playstation they wait a few weeks then start on xbox one 1.4.

they typically don't have news on stuff until "state of the game" topics are made, which is usually later in the months.

so you're already wrong on your estimate.

the more i see people talk about mods, the more i wonder if i am alone in preferring games as they're meant to be played.

i view mods as unnatural and they ruin the experience for me, even if it's minor, it makes the game not feel like itself anymore.

i used to play games on PC long ago until that community drove me away from the whole thing, and mods just felt wrong, actually even causing me to completely drop games i attempted to use them on, no matter how much i loved the games.

that is one reason i will never play on PC again, cause i don't want terraria ruined for me.

just saying, it's an alien concept to me, the idea of people not only enjoying mods, but WANTING to mod a game so heavily, especially one that is already so good on its own merits.

it's even stranger when people so casually talk about mods breaking games and causing so many other issues... and keep using them.

how does that not ruin the game for those people? :dryadconfused:
You're weird.

Most games are not released "as they are meant to be played", they're released as complete as the developers could get them to be by the time deadlines hit. Yeah, game development is a job, you've got to make money out of it so as to pay for your food, house, bills, taxes, and stuff. A lot of games finish rushed and full of bugs. Terraria is a bit of a special case thanks to its continuous development with free updates throughout nine years since the first official release (which by the way had been rushed).

Lots of games live through their mod scene. It gives them infinite replayability as you get the entire fan creativity working to get you endless new material to extend the game. Of course, some mods are bad for various reasons, but then again, you don't need to use the ones that are bad. Every mod is optional.

Modding has also launched many people into professional game development -- after all, what better way to show your skills at creating content for a game than making mods? And this is even the case here in Terraria: Yoraiz0r, Grox, and Arkhalis, for example, modded Terraria before becoming official developers -- they even made tAPI, a mod to help make mods (now replaced with tModLoader).

And even great games can have even better mods. To take a non-Terraria example, here's a screenshot from a very famous (and deservedly so) game, unmodded:
KWbMvgU.png
And now a screenshot from the exact same game, but modded:
nmlKkdCh.png

Yes it is the same game. Not a more modern game in the same series, the same game. That's what modding does.

the more i see people talk about mods, the more i wonder if i am alone in preferring games as they're meant to be played.

i view mods as unnatural and they ruin the experience for me, even if it's minor, it makes the game not feel like itself anymore.

i used to play games on PC long ago until that community drove me away from the whole thing, and mods just felt wrong, actually even causing me to completely drop games i attempted to use them on, no matter how much i loved the games.

that is one reason i will never play on PC again, cause i don't want terraria ruined for me.

just saying, it's an alien concept to me, the idea of people not only enjoying mods, but WANTING to mod a game so heavily, especially one that is already so good on its own merits.

it's even stranger when people so casually talk about mods breaking games and causing so many other issues... and keep using them.

how does that not ruin the game for those people? :dryadconfused:
I agree, but I do play mods only when I’m bored of the game, and just don’t feel like replaying the game I already know, I never feel that way though, whenever I want to play a mod it’s just probably me trying to play a modded playthrough like chippy...

I apologize, I did not mean that in a derogative way and I should have phrased that more tactfully.

i've never been part of society, my own thoughts and feelings on things diverge heavily from most of the world.

i've never cared what other people think, peer pressure has never been a thing, i honestly can't even comprehend such a thing, same goes for prejudice, it is simply not a compatible concept.

so mods, to me, are poison to a game, maybe that's just me, but they have honestly done nothing but ruin games for me.

if content is official, i'll take it, but anything less, i refuse.

i've never been part of society, my own thoughts and feelings on things diverge heavily from most of the world.

i've never cared what other people think, peer pressure has never been a thing, i honestly can't even comprehend such a thing, same goes for prejudice, it is simply not a compatible concept.

so mods, to me, are poison to a game, maybe that's just me, but they have honestly done nothing but ruin games for me.

if content is official, i'll take it, but anything less, i refuse.
LOL we have an edgelord here! watchout guys you might cut yourselves

not sure what you were hoping to accomplish with that remark, i also see "edgelord" thrown around so often by people that i don't even think they know what it means.

i assume it's people's defense against something they can't control or influence, typically something they fear or can't understand.

atleast, going by how i've seen it used.

anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, hopefully we'll have some news by the end of next month on console 1.4.

if only so people stop asking about it so much, can't count how many times i've seen posts asking when 1.4 is coming out, despite the numerous "there is no estimate" responses given out.

Can we please get an option to disable the UI in the console versions of Terraria? A dedicated screenshot tool would work too. It's frustrating having to take a screenshot of a nice build, upload it to a computer, then crop it in an image editing program just to remove the UI clutter. An option to disable the UI completely or a dedicated screenshot tool would make things so much easier.

EDIT: Before anyone asks why I don't play the PC version of Terraria when I have access to a computer, it's because the computer I use isn't designed for gaming. It's a cheap, basic pre-built that's only good for media and basic tasks like browsing the internet.

Last edited:
So my biggest question hopefully I'm doing this right but when will journeys end be released for console like Xbox one don't get me wrong I love the new update more then ya think but it sucks over the years of playing this its been spoiled because the release on other plateforms takes almost 2 to 3 get a to release and I been playing since I was 19 or 20 I'm 28 now and I enjoy this lovely game but I'm getting old quick I don't wanna be 31 years old when this releases :( so a release date would be great so I'm not sitting on it an I can play something else while I wait....

So my biggest question hopefully I'm doing this right but when will journeys end be released for console like Xbox one don't get me wrong I love the new update more then ya think but it sucks over the years of playing this its been spoiled because the release on other plateforms takes almost 2 to 3 get a to release and I been playing since I was 19 or 20 I'm 28 now and I enjoy this lovely game but I'm getting old quick I don't wanna be 31 years old when this releases :( so a release date would be great so I'm not sitting on it an I can play something else while I wait....
There's no date for Console or Mobile yet.

anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, hopefully we'll have some news by the end of next month on console 1.4.

if only so people stop asking about it so much, can't count how many times i've seen posts asking when 1.4 is coming out, despite the numerous "there is no estimate" responses given out.

There's no date for Console or Mobile yet.

it's like i'm psychic. :dryadtongue:

i kinda feel bad for the mods, probably feeling like broken records at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom