Terraria State of the Game - May 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat! Any plans to update the achievements for the consoles? I know there's in-game achievements, but those just don't feel the same as ones integrated with the system.
The game currently only awards the main host with system achievements, however the in-game achievement gives it to both players, so just adding a call to the system achievements where those in-game achievements are would finally make this game co-op achievement friendly as well not to mention adding a bunch of other trophies to aim for.

Being looked into. No promises yet on precisely what might occur - but we will give an update as soon as we know more.

On the contest entry bits, we picked based on what we felt resonated best with us - that might have been due to the quality of the work or the creativity and thought behind it. Not every winning piece has to look like it was painted by Picasso. If you didn't win this time, that's not some bad reflection on you... just a chance to pick things up and try again next time!

We looked at every single piece. If your goal was to be "noticed", consider that accomplished - because we saw and enjoyed each and every one.

@Loki Can you confirm or deny that consoles will receive ported Mobile Terraria?

What does that even mean? You all really need to get out of this platform mindset. Everything technically is "ported PC Terraria" at the end of the day. :p

i am curious about this... because aren't we getting the same content as everyone else, what could there possibly be to keep secret?

It is not always about secrets. Sometimes it is about the execution of certain things. You know, like including in-game safe zone settings for long-suffering Xbox players.
How would you know it?

Because I just loaded the latest build to my dev kit?

yeah I played Terraria right when it released on Xbox one before I was aloud to play teen games:kingslime:
come to think of it I'm pretty sure I first played it on xbox 360 and got so scared of the dungeon guardian jumpscare

What does that even mean? You all really need to get out of this platform mindset. Everything technically is "ported PC Terraria" at the end of the day. :p
@Loki It is really a simple question. Did DR Studios make Terraria for mobile devices work on consoles? Or was 1.4 content added to the version developed earlier by Pipeworks?

Last edited:
@Loki It is really a simple question. Did DR Studios make Terraria for mobile devices work on consoles? Or was 1.4 content added to the version developed earlier by Pipeworks?

We have said for a while that it would mostly be a new codebase - and yes, it branches off of the legacy work DR did on mobile. That doesn't mean they just took the mobile version and slapped it on console and called it a day (obviously). Not entirely sure why that really matters in practical terms.

This holds with it numerous benefits - not the least of which being:
  • Enhanced consistency of experience, while allowing for customization/tailoring to each platform
  • Migration to one save file standard
  • Faster iteration once the first pass is done
  • Sharing of features developed on one branch to the others, where appropriate
  • Optimizations - at least some - carry over, as do bug fixes

Contrast that to the PW-DR days where it was at least 3 different versions running around... or go back even further to when each platform was more or less its own thing, each with its own list of issues, save formats, etc.

It sounds like you may have concerns with that approach, so happy to try and address those if you have any specifics?

I've given up waiting for 1.4 on console. I just don't believe projected release dates anymore; I put that down to experience.

In April, 2017, a post was made stating that 1.3 was projected to be released on console in the second quarter of that year (ie within a couple of months). It wasn't released, however, until the end of the year, nearly eight months later. This was either a gross underestimation of the amount of work left, or said simply to placate those who had already been waiting nine months.

I'm sure it was the former, but that doesn't fill me with any confidence.

It's feels like we are in exactly the same place, again. Projected dates that will slide and slide.

So the work on the UI (or is it UIs? It sounds like there are a few to choose from now) sound good, but "a good number of nebulous pieces" worries me, as coders I've worked with who use that term usually mean they don't even know what the issues are, let alone how to fix them yet.

I think I'm going to stop checking these STOG posts now, as it's essentially the same thing every month.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the clarification you provided @Loki :)
My concerns are mostly about the UI which, in the recent preview videos, look like it was outright taken from mobile, that's why I asked you that question. This was also affected through my personal experience with the other popular game, which received a mobile-ported version for consoles despite having its own, much more stable and feature-complete version, not to mention the horrible UI. Now I know there went a lot of work to let us customize the UI more the way we want, but as far as I'm concerned it won't cover every aspect of it. I shared with you with my specific concerns about the UI in November State of Play, those were apparently addressed until the December State of Play, only to be apparently reverted back to the original state (which I personally do not like) - this is the conclusion I came to after watching DR Studios videos from 26th of March and 26th of May. This, as of today, leaves me in the position of complete confusion of how the console Terraria will look like by default and how much I will be able to modify. Because, I'll be clear, I would like it to look as much as the PC version, just like it is now.

My concerns are mostly about the UI which, in the recent preview videos, look like it was outright taken from mobile, that's why I asked you that question. This was also affected through my personal experience with the other popular game, which received a mobile-ported version for consoles despite having its own, much more stable and feature-complete version, not to mention the horrible UI. Now I know there went a lot of work to let us customize the UI more the way we want, but as far as I'm concerned it won't cover every aspect of it. I shared with you with my specific concerns about the UI in November State of Play, those were apparently addressed until the December State of Play, only to be apparently reverted back to the original state (which I personally do not like) - this is the conclusion I came to after watching DR Studios videos from 26th of March and 26th of May. This, as of today, leaves me in the position of complete confusion of how the console Terraria will look like by default and how much I will be able to modify. Because, I'll be clear, I would like it to look as much as the PC version, just like it is now.

Ah, but see, therein lies the rub, right? That was the foundation of the approach that PW took - and some folks (like yourself) liked that. Others - and they have been quite vocal about it - took the exact opposite opinion. Going so far as to clearly state that "this is a PC UI that they slapped onto Console" and expressing how much they wanted anything but that.

So, what do you do as a developer in that situation? You cannot make everyone happy, but you have to still pick one default (much as developers must do with, say, keybindings or gampad default settings). So, you pick that default but then you give players as much power as possible to change the things that they do not like as much.

Remind me what your specific issues/concerns are? As I recall:
  • Order of icon > info in tooltips
  • Name of selected item over top of hotbar
  • Buff icons were felt to be too small

Were there others?

If you mean the little icons on the right side, those are tied in with the toggles for smart cursor/aim vs aim & use/etc. - sure, that may have "come from" mobile... but imo they are welcome things (and some of that can be toggled one way or the other in settings if you disagree).

E3 is a trade event for the video game industry. The Entertainment Software Association organizes and presents E3, which many developers, publishers, hardware and accessory manufacturers use to introduce and advertise upcoming games and game-related merchandise to retailers and to members of the press
It begins june 12th thru june 15th. Terraria journeys end was shown at E3 2019

I’d much rather have what we’ve been shown so far over what console has now, because frankly, the PC UI on console is terrible. If I end up playing a distance from my screen I have to strain my eyes to see text and can barely tell where I am on the inventory menu, and even outside of that it still ends up feeling like a mess regardless. I may not love what I’ve seen for the future UI on console but the customization and layout of it looks much, much better than what is on console now.

I’d much rather have what we’ve been shown so far over what console has now, because frankly, the PC UI on console is terrible. If I end up playing a distance from my screen I have to strain my eyes to see text and can barely tell where I am on the inventory menu, and even outside of that it still ends up feeling like a mess regardless. I may not love what I’ve seen for the future UI on console but the customization and layout of it looks much, much better than what is on console now.
I can see that its sort of jumbled up but I like it and it is the UI that I've been using for along time

E3 is a trade event for the video game industry. The Entertainment Software Association organizes and presents E3, which many developers, publishers, hardware and accessory manufacturers use to introduce and advertise upcoming games and game-related merchandise to retailers and to members of the press
It begins june 12th thru june 15th. Terraria journeys end was shown at E3 2019
Then what do you think Terraria developers could show at E3? Isn't this game finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom