Terraria State of the Game - May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Terra Blade literally has a new projectile, it's just going to look different. Look closely at the top left of the Empress image.
I know i seen that image way before this SOTG.

However that image doesn't say anything given how messy it is.
The fading appearance of these proejctiles it could be just a lingering particle effect from a swing made while moving and not actual launched projectile.

Also have you seen the image of True Night's edge in action? (Not included in this SOTG)
Yeah i have some serious doubts about this so called "melee evolution"
and we certainly didn't know for certain that Excalibur was getting the same effect as its True version.
What do you even mean? The gif shows TRUE Excalibur with short ranged attack when it used to have a projectile attack. (this gif is old it was tweeted before this SOTG. Both the gif and tweets related to it was covered by Chippy.)
LET'S GOOOOOOO NEW CORAL BLOCK AND WALLS!!!!!
Uhm you do know that Coral Blocks already exist ingame right? :p
Coralstone Block

I have a drill mount that is destroying the wall.
Is this only for walls placed by the PC (player character)?

I know i seen that image way before this SOTG.

However that image doesn't say anything given how messy it is.
The fading appearance of these proejctiles it could be just a lingering particle effect from a swing made while moving and not actual launched projectile.

Also have you seen the image of True Night's edge in action? (Not included in this SOTG)
Yeah i have some serious doubts about this so called "melee evolution"

What do you even mean? The gif shows TRUE Excalibur with short ranged attack when it used to have a projectile attack. (this gif is old it was tweeted before this SOTG. Both the gif and tweets related to it was covered by Chippy.)

Uhm you do know that Coral Blocks already exist ingame right? :p
Coralstone Block
Yeah but LOOK AT THE GIF, those are NEW CORAL BLOCKS!

More like getting nerfed.
Cause killing bosses and doing events with that pathetic reach is as fun and as effective as digging through a concrete wall with a rusty spoon.

Sorry Re-Logic but removing ranged projectile attacks from late game melees is just nerfing them to the ground. Especially for higher difficulties they will be borderline unusable. This game's "combat" doesn't favor true melee at all.

People who arent just playing on Normal difficulty only will just not bother with melee classes past Hardmode now since you are nerfing most of the iconic post Hardmode projectile shooting melees..

It seems that was the intention here. ;/

RIP Terra Blade especially.. now its gonna be another garbage "true melee"

You seem to be operating under some huge assumptions about the overall scope of what is changing. You may wish to wait until the update hits to confirm these conclusions before deciding what we actually did, as your description does not match the reality I know personally. :)

All of this was already spoiled by Re-Logic members like days and weeks in advance.
None of these are new spoilers.

It's not about the quantity but the fact that nothing new was spoiled. Some people were expecting some new spoilers in this SOTG given what Redigit said on Discord.

Everything posted here was either shown or tweeted / msged on Discord prior.
And thanks to Chippy even people who don't pay attention to what's going on on these social medias know all these spoilers and more.

There are at least 7 changes (arguably more, depending on how you want to divide it up) in this SOTG that were never spoiled in any form before. If you only count "video" spoilers, then there is at least 1 video showing new content/changes that was never seen before, though I find that to be a remarkably strict definition of a spoiler.

The rest of it was a recap, and it was labeled as such. I understand skepticism, but this is simply an inaccurate assessment.

I know this is nit picky but technically the three versions are not in parity when it comes to the small balance overhauls that happened in 1.4.3.3 being the changed drop rates of emblems and weapons of WOF classic mode, the deerclops scaling, and the happiness changes.

You seem to be operating under some huge assumptions about the overall scope of what is changing. You may wish to wait until the update hits to confirm these conclusions before deciding what we actually did, as your description does not match the reality I know personally. :)

There are at least 7 changes (arguably more, depending on how you want to divide it up) in this SOTG that were never spoiled in any form before. If you only count "video" spoilers, then there is at least 1 video showing new content/changes that was never seen before, though I find that to be a remarkably strict definition of a spoiler.

The rest of it was a recap, and it was labeled as such. I understand skepticism, but this is simply an inaccurate assessment.
You know all the features already but you don't want to spoil us? 👁️

You seem to be operating under some huge assumptions about the overall scope of what is changing. You may wish to wait until the update hits to confirm these conclusions before deciding what we actually did. :)
Okay then i'll wait and see.

Melee is my favorite class. It was very worrying to see some of these vague GIFs and Images that heavily implied some of my worse fears regarding this melee "rework". Hence my reaction.

If you have time i'd like to ask something else. Cause there is another thing that greatly worries me as a builder about upcoming update.
Do you remember Cennxs tweet about Echo Paint and technical limitations involving adding it?

Cenxx said that in order to add Echo Paint they would need to sacrifice one of existing paints and would host polls on twitter which paint is least used.
Is this still a thing?

Cause IMO this is greatly unfair for builders to remove any of the existing paints especially if its some of the more unique ones that would have to go (for example Shadow , Illuminant , Negative etc like i seen people been suggesting in reply to that tweet.)

Okay then i'll wait and see.

Melee is my favorite class. It was very worrying to see some of these vague GIFs that heavily implied some of my worse fears regarding this melee "rework". Hence my reaction.

If you have time i'd like to ask something else. Cause there is another thing that greatly worries me as a builder about upcoming update.
Do you remember Cennxs tweet about Echo Paint and technical limitations involving adding it?

Cenxx said that in order to add Echo Paint they would need to sacrifice one of existing paints and would host polls on twitter which paint is least used.
Is this still a thing?

Cause IMO this is greatly unfair for builders to remove any of the existing paints especially if its some of the more unique ones would have to go (Shadow , Illuminant , Negative etc)

At this time there is no plan to simply "remove" a paint indefinitely with no form of alternative implementation. The community did seem fairly in favor of such an action, but it wasn't as one-sided as it would have needed to be to do something like that.

We are looking at some more complex solutions, but at this time, nothing is set in stone, so I can't make any promises. The technical limitations limit the number of moves we can make.

Keep up the good work Dr studios, TML staff
and all you other studios that make this game fun. One question I have is since fallout 4 and Skyrim had mods on pc and console does that mean it will increase the chances of mods happening in terraria on console.

At this time there is no plan to simply "remove" a paint indefinitely with no form of alternative implementation. The community did seem fairly in favor of such an action, but it wasn't as one-sided as it would have needed to be to do something like that.

We are looking at some more complex solutions, but at this time, nothing is set in stone, so I can't make any promises. The technical limitations limit the number of moves we can make.
I see :< thank you for the reply.

Yeah, there are people who build amazing things with illuminant paint, so i think every paint is important

More like getting nerfed.
Cause killing bosses and doing events with that pathetic reach is as fun and as effective as digging through a concrete wall with a rusty spoon.
"True Melee" is quite literally overpowered in 1.4.3 in practice because of facetanking. Hell, the main reason that Terra Blade is OP right now is because of its "True Melee" DPS with the help of speed-boosting Whips.

"True Melee" is quite literally overpowered in 1.4.3 in practice because of facetanking.
On normal difficulty maybe where having highest Defense stats doesn't mean you get to survive 1-2 more hits at best.
People who claimed that "True melee is powerful" and were insistent that they know what they are talking about usually littered my Master worlds with their own graves.
Hell, the main reason that Terra Blade is OP right now is because of its "True Melee" DPS with the help of speed-boosting Whips.
Funny claim considering that Terra Blade is not going to be a "true melee" after all and the fact that said melee changes weren't even released yet.

X Doubt

On normal difficulty maybe where having highest Defense stats doesn't mean you get to survive 1-2 more hits at best.
People who claimed that "True melee is powerful" and were insistent that they know what they are talking about usually littered my Master worlds with their own graves.

Funny claim considering that Terra Blade is not going to be a "true melee" after all and the fact that said melee changes weren't even released yet.

X Doubt
Is defense really that pathetic compared to damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom