Terraria State of the Game - May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is defense really that pathetic compared to damage?
It sadly is. On Normal defense is good. On Expert it's very meh despite its buffed effect. On Master its just not worth it at all.
I recall someone even made a vid about it. Stacking all possible defense stats and seeing how many hits they can survive in Master mode vs hardmode bosses and certain hard hitting enemies.

It's not good .. not good at all. It's way better to invest in Damage/Crit or stack Dodge accessories - despite their randomness they are of more help than defense stats on higher difficulties.

Last edited:
I mean on higher difficulties creepers and angry dandelions are basically one shots. In Master mode dodge accessories are certainly king but expert mode is debatable. Crit rate is necessary but you need to balance it with damage to get the highest output of DPS. It's like an upside down parabola.

I mean on higher difficulties creepers and angry dandelions are basically one shots. In Master mode dodge accessories are certainly king but expert mode is debatable. Crit rate is necessary but you need to balance it with damage to get the highest output of DPS. It's like an upside down parabola.
I did put "/" inbetween Damage and Crit chance cause yes weapons that you are using matter for which of these 2 stats you should focus on and how much for most DPS.

Defense on Expert is very meh but true not as terrible as on Master.

Me personally i go full DPS on Expert and mix of DPS + Dodge on Master and forgo defense altogether except default amount that armor sets give me.
Stacking defense just slows down the fight cause i am doing subpar DPS for very negligible survivability gain putting me at more risk of potentially fumbling and getting 1-2 shotted.

"True Melee" is quite literally overpowered in 1.4.3 in practice because of facetanking. Hell, the main reason that Terra Blade is OP right now is because of its "True Melee" DPS with the help of speed-boosting Whips.
Their concern is completely valid. True melee in this game is really bad, facetanking only works for specific weapons that can kill the boss quickly enough. Good luck facetanking Skeletron Prime with a Phasesaber. And it's not as if tanking is reserved for true melee, in fact I'd argue that trying to use certain true melee weapons on certain bosses and events will get you killed a lot easier than having a defensive ranger build.

What image?
This one? I thought that the line between paint colours was a bit more harsh usually.
index.php
Although now I kind of feel like it might just be the image compression and lighting.

RGB gaming? RGB gaming.

Kinda wish the macaws had a town pet variant since I'm assuming they're just overworld critters like dolphins. All in all, it's a nice addition to the jungle other than the occasional flying tortoises hitting you at the speed of light

I am honestly in a state of disbelief over what's still being done for the "already finished" PC version. I'm very glad that the settler system is getting an overhaul, because I found it strange that what-was-supposed-to-be-the-final-update didn't include a happiness bar, or overall status.

Is the bestiary going to be touched on with this update at all? If so, then may I request that something be added to give an indication of both new additions to the bestiary, as well as when one of the entries updates with information? I was very much lost on what I had both seen and read before when I did my June 2020 playthrough attempt. As well, it may be wise, even, to display a special border when all of their info is acquired? Perhaps also an indication of if one of their drops has actually dropped, and thus a way to know if you have one?

I can't be the only rabid item collector that wants to quickly and easily know for sure if they have something collected already. Alternatively, you could possibly show how many of each item is in your inventory, or stored, but that sounds complicated to me.

Chicken Bones (CB for short) is well-known in the Minecraft modding community, and he has a long history with Terraria and modding in general. Coupled with a strong background on the Technical/Tooling side of the coding world (a big need for the team moving ahead!), he will be an invaluable addition to the team. He has already been working hard alongside our core team, with a current focus aimed primarily on the development of tModLoader and tModPorter. Once full work on our second title begins, he will be part of the core development team that will be responsible for bringing that all together!
Good luck CB, and hopefully that means that New Game That May Or May Not Be Terraria 2 will support modding from the start!

Meanwhile, commenting on what doesn't seem to have been discussed previously in this thread or mentioned on the wiki yet...
Those amanita-looking mushroom look new.
There's a surface tree growing here. Is there something that lets trees grow where they're not supposed to grow, now?
Not sure what's up with the two boulders stacked together, look a bit odd.

That said my favorite part is the previously revealed tidbit about how ropes and tracks are no longer mutually exclusive. Also ropes and platforms. I hope that means that tracks are now also compatible with beams and columns.

And just because one can dream: could we hope for tall gates to be compatible with tracks, and for trap doors to be compatible with ropes?

So from what I can see that may or may not be a new thing:
-There's a balloon stuck in a tree
-It seems like you can partially dye statues? (red heart statue kind of blending into the tree background)
-Maybe rainbow paint (seen on wood), perhaps from beating an enraged empress of light in the undeground hallow biome?
-Info accessories now show colored text to make it stand out more than usual (like gold bunny in the color gold)
-In the fishing photo, maybe a new pet (near the piggy bank, not the fox), also not sure what the purple skull thing is by the player.

Their concern is completely valid. True melee in this game is really bad, facetanking only works for specific weapons that can kill the boss quickly enough. Good luck facetanking Skeletron Prime with a Phasesaber. And it's not as if tanking is reserved for true melee, in fact I'd argue that trying to use certain true melee weapons on certain bosses and events will get you killed a lot easier than having a defensive ranger build.
Those few times where a Ranger weapon is preferred for facetanking are outliers and nowadays it seems even Megashark + Crystal Bullets is slower than traditional Fetid for facetanking Plantera. Even something like Fiery Greatsword is a pretty good option to facetank Queen Bee because not only does it do solid close range DPS, but it kills all of the small bees coming out of her.

It doesn't matter if 90% of the options are horribly undertuned , those 10% remaining options and how some of them scale through Hardmode is enough to make "True melee" boringly strong considering how it functions in 1.4.3.

On normal difficulty maybe where having highest Defense stats doesn't mean you get to survive 1-2 more hits at best.
Everything I talk about assumes Master Mode.
People who claimed that "True melee is powerful" and were insistent that they know what they are talking about usually littered my Master worlds with their own graves.
That's because they don't know what they are doing. I myself have made entire videos dedicated to facetanking Master mode bosses in seconds, including taking 1-5 damage from most Master mode mech bosses attack and killing Master mode Plantera in 15 seconds with Fetid + Titanium (not even fully optimized). Not going to advertise here but you can look these up.
Funny claim considering that Terra Blade is not going to be a "true melee" after all and the fact that said melee changes weren't even released yet.
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here and how it affects what I said? I have made multiple videos showcasing the "TerraWhip" strategy alone because Terra Blade's close-range DPS is indeed its biggest strength when you know what you are doing.
It sadly is. On Normal defense is good. On Expert it's very meh despite its buffed effect. On Master its just not worth it at all.
When you stack enough Defense on Master Mode you literally take 1 or single digit damage from mech boss attacks. 1-5 damage from Eye of Cthulhu, Brain of Cthulhu, Queen Bee and so on as well.

If you've looked at a video claiming that Defense is "not worth it" it almost surely was one of those where they show Duke Fishron who is an outlier when it comes to tanking his attacks. Even then, facetanking Duke Fishron on Master Mode is yet another thing I have done multiple times in a video I've made anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom