Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious. You said you were done with Terraria, and even if split screen was released already it still wouldn't make it up to you. So what are you still posting here for?
I think it's pretty obvious what I'm doing. I hope you're not implying I shouldn't post here. Let's not go down that road again.

Wow, you folks are really.. 110% disappointing. Every time I leave for months on end (to spare myself the pain of watching the super-slow motion train wreck of disappointing news in realtime) and come back hoping something has changed, I find that it only ever does for the worst. It's truly disappointing for Terraria's future to putter out so pathetically into a drawn-out death rattle. No Otherworld, not even a 2019 1.4.0 release. I'm kinda glad you won't be doing anything else with Terraria, because I'd hate to ever get my hopes up with you folks again.

I guess I'll take another look sometime in April of 2020, so I can come back to the disappointment of finding you've cancelled 1.4.0 too. #Re-LogicRattle #110disappointments
Terraria Otherworld was canceled a while ago because it was sucking up to much time from the team and slowed down development for other games, and 1.4.0 was delayed because they didn't want to release a buggy mess. Most everyone was sad about otherworld's cancellation but that doesn't mean the whole community threw a fit because of it. Its disappointing when people hate on game developers for delaying a game or cancelling it completely for good reasons.

Terraria Otherworld was canceled a while ago because it was sucking up to much time from the team and slowed down development for other games, and 1.4.0 was delayed because they didn't want to release a buggy mess. Most everyone was sad about otherworld's cancellation but that doesn't mean the whole community threw a fit because of it. Its disappointing when people hate on game developers for delaying a game or cancelling it completely for good reasons.

"Good" reasons. I think that's just it...weather a reason is "good" or "bad" is up to the individual. A split is inevitable. A SPLIT-SCREEN on the other hand is not so certain! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

"Good" reasons. I think that's just it...weather a reason is "good" or "bad" is up to the individual. A split is inevitable. A SPLIT-SCREEN on the other hand is not so certain! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!
I'm not talking about split-screen, I'm speaking of 1.4.0 and the Otherworld cancellation. The split-screen got delayed because of lag problems. If you had played online on Xbox early 1.3 you would know why they are delaying this.

I'm not talking about split-screen, I'm speaking of 1.4.0 and the Otherworld cancellation. The split-screen got delayed because of lag problems. If you had played online on Xbox early 1.3 you would know why they are delaying this.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. And my statement still holds true that weather something is "good" or "bad" is perceived by each individual differently.

The split screen thing was a joke. Sheesh.

Also I've played many versions on PS3/PS4.

Also I've played many versions on PS3/PS4.
You can actually see every version of terraria a person has played on (if you marked them) on the about section of a profile
For example I can see that you have played on Terraria: PC, Terraria: PS3/Vita, Terraria: Playstation 4, Terraria: Nintendo Switch
And everyone else can see that I have played on Terraria: PC, Terraria: Xbox One, Terraria: Nintendo 3DS, Terraria: Nintendo Switch

would you really tho? i'd just rather keep my saint-like patience and just wait 'til i get it for free, its atleast worth the hype.
also, just out of curiosity's sake, how many update delays (except little ones or Otherworld (since RIP 😔)) have been there :eek:?

Yes, really. $20 once every year to two years? That's... About the price of a pizza, or a trip to the movies. If it meant more and better content for this game, yeah, I'd have absolutely no problems with that. When people complain about having to pay $60 for a new COD yearly, I can empathize. This seems pretty tame by comparison.

Yea, Console 1.3 Was Delayed A Few Times.

Ea. Bethesda. Blizzard. Am I Missing Any? Remember The Days Where When A Game Launched, You Got All The Content In One Purchase? I Can't Anymore.

OH WAIT THIS ONE. If This Was A Game Where You Had To Pay DOUBLE The Price Of The Game For An Expansion This Would Rapidly Become One Of My Most Hated Games. Not Even Kidding Or Exaggerating That Point.

Essentially, You Just Said That You Want Relogic To Start Whaling People Instead Of Delaying Releases.

The Way You Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Single Word Is Incredibly Obnoxious, As Well As Entirely Unnecessary. Please Stop. Looking At It Genuinely Hurts My Brain.

You also seem to think $20 a year (and again, it could be less frequent than that) is a significant expenditure, which is hilarious to me. What's even funnier is that you frame that as "double the price of the game", not realizing that a) the price of a game tends to go down with age, and b) shockingly enough, inflation is also a thing. There are plenty of games that don't even charge you for the base game because the expansions are the source of all the relevant content, at any given time. It is a thing, and it absolutely makes sense. I also just, y'know, really don't mind supporting developers when I enjoy the work they're doing, especially when it's a whole $20 per year. I mean, jesus, is that really beyond your means? Xbox Live and PS Plus are, what, about $15 per month?

if you want to make the argument "YA WELL I GOT TERRARIA FOR $10 LIEK FIVE YEARS AGO, SOOOO", the amount of content in the game even currently is significantly higher than it was in vanilla, and is supposed to be increasing significantly again in 1.4. I mean, you shouldn't want to make that argument, given that it's just silly, but then again, you also shouldn't want to Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word Either, So...

So trolling then? As in you're literally here to annoy people about an issue you admit you don't even care about anymore? You're still mad about what happened and you need to take it out on people? Glad you could clear that up for me.
I'm not here to annoy people, and I do care about the issue. I'm not taking it out on anyone other than the companies involved. You're the one now making personal attacks. As Loki stated earlier this is an open forumn and we both can state our opinions. Now I understand that you and I are on different sides of the table here but I have just as much of a right to post here as you do. Now I'm going to ask again that you please keep on topic and stop posts like this - that are about me. You've already been asked by a mod twice to stop this sort of thing.

Yes, really. $20 once every year to two years? That's... About the price of a pizza, or a trip to the movies. If it meant more and better content for this game, yeah, I'd have absolutely no problems with that. When people complain about having to pay $60 for a new COD yearly, I can empathize. This seems pretty tame by comparison.
wouldn't it just make more sense to make the price of the base game higher (30 - 50) instead of having to have updates cost something? also not acknowledging the 1.4 delay, didn't the other big updates took about 1 - 2 years and came out for free? you also haven't addressed my question about how many delays there were for the PC.

wouldn't it just make more sense to make the price of the base game higher (30 - 50) instead of having to have updates cost something? also not acknowledging the 1.4 delay, didn't the other big updates took about 1 - 2 years and came out for free? you also haven't addressed my question about how many delays there were for the PC.
I agree with altaire somewhat. I think it's great that they're adding free content but frankly I'd rather pay if it meant it were more reliable. Although, I've learned that just because you've paid for something doesn't mean you'll get what you expect or that it's higher quality.

If they charged money for large updates though, then maybe they could hire more people to help better manage their work load?

I don't quite understand why they do it for free.

i mean, i understand his point and i'd willingly pay (if financial status allows so), but the reason why they do it for free is simply because they don't wanna go the EA or Bethesda route and charge for extra updates, not to mention the criticism they'd be getting for doing it. especially when, how i suggested, they just could make the prices for the game higher, instead of having to pay additional for a period of time, which also could allow them to hire more people. mabye im too naive, but do they really have to even hire more people now simply because they delayed one update for PC?

i mean, i understand his point and i'd willingly pay (if financial status allows so), but the reason why they do it for free is simply because they don't wanna go the EA or Bethesda route and charge for extra updates, not to mention the criticism they'd be getting for doing it. especially when, how i suggested, they just could make the prices for the game higher, instead of having to pay additional for a period of time, which also could allow them to hire more people. mabye im too naive, but do they really have to even hire more people now simply because they delayed one update for PC?

We know we could have taken the Minecraft pricing model (pre-Microsoft, which layered in MTX) and slowly raised the price over time. Not doing this was a conscious decision on our part, based on internal discussions.

That leads to Terraria on PC - frankly - being pretty under-priced vs what you get in return in 2019... and even moreso once JE releases. We are ok with this, even though it causes price-relative complaints from other platforms where the same dynamics are not allowable/feasible.

Just "Go hire a bunch of people" is how things like the fall of Payday 2 happens.

Yeah I get that completely. Again I think it's really cool they do these things for free. I just wish (maybe others too) they found a way to operate better regardless of their financial model.

I know why they did what they did, I've been following this train wreck for the past... three, nearly four, years? Actually, it has been four years, that's right it's nearly five. I remember because of how long I was waiting before I had my second heart attack. So, I've been following along just fine. Kept in hope and anticipation, just to have them either remain incredibly silent for months on end, or to let us know that there was another setback. This wreck in a nutshell:

"Hey! Highly-anticipated game announcement!"
"Setback."
"..."
"..."
"Setback."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Setback."
"..."
"Setback."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Setback."
"..."
"..."
"We failed.."
"..."
"Here's content that should have been in the new game as a consolation prize! Also, that's the last you'll get from us. Ever."
"..."
"Setback."

And here we are! Look, I want to see the best in these Devs the same as any other, but it cannot be ignored that they made mistake after mistake, and their solution to the problem is to head for the hills. No one wants to hear apologies, we want to hear about solutions. If they had come out and said, "Hey, this is the content that should have been in the Otherworld game, and we're releasing it as a paid DLC. (And we're looking into a re-skin option for Terraria modeled after the Otherworld previews!)" I'd buy it. I'd buy it if it cost the same as the initial game. Straight up. I don't care for free, I care for consistent, I care for Devs that actually stick to their guns and follow through; Devs that don't crouch down into their hidey-hole just because of the potential for some ire.

(P.S: Call it whatever you want, 'Fit', 'Tantrum' etc. It doesn't change minds, nor does it invalidate arguments or feelings. So have fun with the name-calling.)

Well I never saw that coming....
H O W U N E X P E C T E D
The Way You Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Single Word Is Incredibly Obnoxious, As Well As Entirely Unnecessary. Please Stop. Looking At It Genuinely Hurts My Brain.
Debate The Point, Not The Person, You Are The Only Person That Has This Much Of A Problem With It. If You Don't Like It, :red:ing Block Me, I Don't Care.
I also just, y'know, really don't mind supporting developers when I enjoy the work they're doing, especially when it's a whole $20 per year. I mean, jesus, is that really beyond your means? Xbox Live and PS Plus are, what, about $15 per month?
I Bought This Game For Full Price On PC, When I Could Have Waited A Few Weeks And Got It For Half Off, Unlike BTD5 And 6, Which I Waited For. Also, Just Because I Can Afford It Doesn't Mean I Should Go Buy It. And As For Ps Plus, And Xbox Live, Not To Sound Like A Pc Elitist Or Anyone With Common Sense, Why Would I Buy A Console With Inferior Hardware, And Pay A Subscription To Play Online, When I Could Buy A Pc, And Save Money In The Long Run?
if you want to make the argument "YA WELL I GOT TERRARIA FOR $10 LIEK FIVE YEARS AGO, SOOOO", the amount of content in the game even currently is significantly higher than it was in vanilla, and is supposed to be increasing significantly again in 1.4. I mean, you shouldn't want to make that argument, given that it's just silly, but then again, you also shouldn't want to Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word Either, So...
When You Say "Vanilla", Do You Mean When The Game First Launched? Because When Most People Say That, They're Referring To Modless Terraria. But Whatever. And Straight From The Horses Mouth:
We know we could have taken the Minecraft pricing model (pre-Microsoft, which layered in MTX) and slowly raised the price over time. Not doing this was a conscious decision on our part, based on internal discussions.

That leads to Terraria on PC - frankly - being pretty under-priced vs what you get in return in 2019... and even moreso once JE releases. We are ok with this, even though it causes price-relative complaints from other platforms where the same dynamics are not allowable/feasible.

Just "Go hire a bunch of people" is how things like the fall of Payday 2 happens.
They Basically Sat In A Boardroom And Said "Ok Do We Screw Over The Fanbase That Bought Our Game Because Money?" And Said "No, We're Better Then That". Support.

@Altaire

Please refrain from making disrespectful comments regarding the grammar of other members. If you can't be respectful by debating the topic instead of the person, you're better off not posting.

Debate The Point, Not The Person, You Are The Only Person That Has This Much Of A Problem With It. If You Don't Like It, :red:ing Block Me, I Don't Care.

In the future, please report disrespectful behavior and avoid engaging with it.

I'm excited for the December state of the game. I have no idea why but for some reason I am.

Also, what if it's all a joke!? What if 1.4 launches on new years day? I know this is very unrealistic but it's a fun thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom