Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Worfer. I'm not disappointed that the update will come later, I'm disappointed that Re-Logic continues to set false expectations and then brush it off as naive fans who don't understand development when they fail to meet them. Please just stop making promises and release the update whenever you damn well feel like it.

I have one question. What's next? Where is all the effort and love you put into Terraria going to travel to? I love this game, and will probably love what comes next.

9501B486-31E3-47D4-81B8-F036E194533C.jpeg

I have one question. What's next? Where is all the effort and love you put into Terraria going to travel to? I love this game, and will probably love what comes next.

Seeing how the release of the switch port has gone i will absolutely not be purchasing the next title.

I hope my salt haunts you.

Re-Logic will develop a new game after Terraria's final update, that also includes getting 1.4 for all platforms (Console/Mobile). What that game will be remains as TBD.

How many L's can you god damn drop? Otherworld? 1.4? You dare to wait until the end of the year just to announce it quietly that the update is going to be delayed? This is honestly such a pathetic way of delaying the update. Disappointment even can't express my feelings. Chippy predicted this, just sad.

No surprise at all. Journeys End is an apt name for it. Since its been an obscenely long journey just waiting for it.

Brace yourselves. We'll be lucky to see a release by next Christmas. Pity all those non PC players who'll be waiting until 2021 for their release.

With all the years that have gone into development on this lone update it better be as revolutionary as you can possibly get. Not to mention practically bug free.

Or else it'll be journeys end for all the pc fans who have put up with stunts like this for so long.

To be honest, the delay is fantastic news. It's too bad we need to wait, but between getting suboptimal content early or great content late, I'm taking the latter every single time.

At launch on the eShop it was stated that the game had split screen. I ONLY purchased it to play with my wife. Additionally, it has been 5 months and we are still waiting on a core feature that has been available on other platforms.

Switch users have absolutely every right to be upset with the poor communication and decision making associated with this low quality, over priced port.

They constantly say they prefer to take the time to do things right and not rush inferior products. Their actions, in regards to the release of the switch port, do not align with those statements.

I am happy for those of you who are not upset or who this has not been an issue for.
It sounds like there was a miscommunication between Nintendo and Pipeworks, potentially.
@Loki hey so I know it's unlikely I'll get your attention this way, but any word on this from Pipeworks?
Since you're the one posting these updates I figure you're probably in touch with all sides of development to an extent.
Was this a blunder on whoever wrote the eShop description? Or is Split-Screen planned, or did it have to be scrapped for some reason, etc.?

I have been waiting for 3 years... And I check for updates every day... It's not fair...
You need to take a step back and stop spending your whole life around this. Checking every single day isn't healthy. Take a break.

It's not the waiting that bothers me. It's the complete uncertainty. If you're screwing us over by delaying it for the millionth time and not even giving a spoiler in months, at least give us an estimated release date so we can know what to expect. It's so unprofessional to just say "2020". But 2020 when? January? March? December?

Despite what you might hear in this echo chamber of nauseating positivity, the game is swiftly losing relevance in the lives of people who actually care about it. I know that it's a free update and it takes a lot of work, I get that. I've worked in game development myself. I'm not saying it should be out immediately. All I'm saying is the complete lack of actual, substantive communication about the update is frustrating. Most companies communicate with the player base at every step of the update and keep them hyped while receiving feedback when it's actually useful, instead of keeping everything a huge secret like it's the 90s.

It's late 2019. Hearing about a significant update to a beloved game shouldn't be like solving an obscure puzzle found in the jungle temple.
They're probably saying 2020 because they DO intend to release it in 2020, but don't know if it will be in early 2020 or mid 2020 yet. Many devs have learned as of late that giving concrete release dates for things is usually a really bad idea because things can go wrong, and often do, causing more delays. Re-Logic has generally been very good about communication, showing things off, etc. They're probably taking a break from spoilers this time because they don't want to spoil too many things for what will be probably the biggest and last update.
As for the "losing relevance" part, I don't see how that's the case. Sure, people may not be playing it as much right now, but when 1.4 releases, lots of people will learn of that and be reinterested. This isn't a Live Service where you're expected to playing every single day. I don't think Re-Logic cares much for recurring engagement so much as giving a solid finished product for people to enjoy for as long as they want, whenever they want to, whether it be now or later.

Also, please stop with the tone. "screwing us over by delaying it for the millionth time" (when it's only really been officially delayed... thrice? once when it was 1.3.6 and twice when it was 1.4.) It's not unprofessional to not want to get hopes too high in case they have to delay again due to unforseen circumstances, especially for a free update to a game that, by all previous indications, was already complete. This "echo chamber of nauseating positivity" (again, tone) is, unsurprisingly, due to a lot of people caring about the game and liking how Re-Logic runs things. That seems to me like the game is still widely relevant considering the amount of people so excited for the update, which will inevitably grow drastically when it releases, as is the case with every major update. That said, I agree that they shouldn't be pushing everything into one extremely massive update, as that does lend itself to a lack of feedback (aside from their beta testers) and the possibility of many bugs slipping through the cracks in their ambition. But at this point, it's probably too late to stop that, so oh well.

Honestly, the amount of negativity in this thread is astonishing to me, and that's coming from someone who is very likely clinically depressed. It's a free update, a MASSIVE one at that, for a game that was stated to be complete several times over now. So many people are acting like it's the end of the world because it's not releasing ASAP, acting like they promised it would release at one time or another (when as far as I'm aware that was never the case except for 1.3.6 which got scrapped and merged into 1.4) and because they're not releasing tons of spoilers... Which... Come on. They usually SHOWER us in spoilers, is it really so hard to just wait for the update to be out to see what it contains? If 1.3.5 no longer satisifes, then play something else while you wait. Desperately clinging to the game waiting for an update which you know won't be for a while is a surefire way to get sick of the game and burnt out from it. (See: Starbound). Re-Logic has given us... Monthly or Bi-Monthly status updates, which itself is really decent communication, and there's probably even more if we were to check twitters and stuff. Much better than other games. (See again: Starbound).

Yeah I kinda figured that it'd have to be pushed back to 2020, considering its already almost december.
I aint complaining though, I'm still really excited for the update, and y'all should take all the time you need!! :+)

It sounds like there was a miscommunication between Nintendo and Pipeworks, potentially.
@Loki hey so I know it's unlikely I'll get your attention this way, but any word on this from Pipeworks?
Since you're the one posting these updates I figure you're probably in touch with all sides of development to an extent.
Was this a blunder on whoever wrote the eShop description? Or is Split-Screen planned, or did it have to be scrapped for some reason, etc.?

You need to take a step back and stop spending your whole life around this. Checking every single day isn't healthy. Take a break.

They're probably saying 2020 because they DO intend to release it in 2020, but don't know if it will be in early 2020 or mid 2020 yet. Many devs have learned as of late that giving concrete release dates for things is usually a really bad idea because things can go wrong, and often do, causing more delays. Re-Logic has generally been very good about communication, showing things off, etc. They're probably taking a break from spoilers this time because they don't want to spoil too many things for what will be probably the biggest and last update.
As for the "losing relevance" part, I don't see how that's the case. Sure, people may not be playing it as much right now, but when 1.4 releases, lots of people will learn of that and be reinterested. This isn't a Live Service where you're expected to playing every single day. I don't think Re-Logic cares much for recurring engagement so much as giving a solid finished product for people to enjoy for as long as they want, whenever they want to, whether it be now or later.

Also, please stop with the tone. "screwing us over by delaying it for the millionth time" (when it's only really been officially delayed... thrice? once when it was 1.3.6 and twice when it was 1.4.) It's not unprofessional to not want to get hopes too high in case they have to delay again due to unforseen circumstances, especially for a free update to a game that, by all previous indications, was already complete. This "echo chamber of nauseating positivity" (again, tone) is, unsurprisingly, due to a lot of people caring about the game and liking how Re-Logic runs things. That seems to me like the game is still widely relevant considering the amount of people so excited for the update, which will inevitably grow drastically when it releases, as is the case with every major update. That said, I agree that they shouldn't be pushing everything into one extremely massive update, as that does lend itself to a lack of feedback (aside from their beta testers) and the possibility of many bugs slipping through the cracks in their ambition. But at this point, it's probably too late to stop that, so oh well.

Honestly, the amount of negativity in this thread is astonishing to me, and that's coming from someone who is very likely clinically depressed. It's a free update, a MASSIVE one at that, for a game that was stated to be complete several times over now. So many people are acting like it's the end of the world because it's not releasing ASAP, acting like they promised it would release at one time or another (when as far as I'm aware that was never the case except for 1.3.6 which got scrapped and merged into 1.4) and because they're not releasing tons of spoilers... Which... Come on. They usually SHOWER us in spoilers, is it really so hard to just wait for the update to be out to see what it contains? If 1.3.5 no longer satisifes, then play something else while you wait. Desperately clinging to the game waiting for an update which you know won't be for a while is a surefire way to get sick of the game and burnt out from it. (See: Starbound). Re-Logic has given us... Monthly or Bi-Monthly status updates, which itself is really decent communication, and there's probably even more if we were to check twitters and stuff. Much better than other games. (See again: Starbound).

Perception is reality, Yvori. Your walls of text telling people they should "this" and should "that" because "reasons" is not going to make someone who is unhappy with this news suddenly be content. I don't mean to be rude, just pointing it out.

Don't worry about pushing it back. As long as the update still happens, I can wait. Just happy to have a bunch of new content to look forward to!

Ahoy!
I understand people who are annoyed by the further delay of the new version. I myself have the "desktop version history" of the Terraria Wiki set up as my browser's start up page for about a year now and i crave for the update. But to those who complain: remember we already have a great game that keeps entertaining us for years and has even been great without all the additional content that has been released after launch. The developers are doing this where other would have charged money for dlcs (like frost moon, pumpkin moon) and cosmetic stuff (vanity items, pets) and the like. So i'd like to thank the developers at this point for delivering all of this content to us to make their game better and better (and of course to get new customers in the best way possible, i. e. by an active community, a good reputation and let's plays as advertisements and stuff). So please take your time and give us a great update when it is done - I have no doubt that you will achieve that.
I think that there is a vast majority of people that like your game as it is, excitedly await the new content and stay silent. It is always easier to complain than to say thank you. But by what I have read by browsing through this thread is that the community seems to be quite polite and tempered without many complaints - a good sign too! So thanks guys for your patience!
Dig on!

Last edited:
For those who don't get why many are so negative; its for the fact they have us waiting months on end with pathetic dribbles of information.

Nothing really substantial at all for PC players. With 800 new items, at least according to them, there is no reason whatsoever that they couldn't give us 10 items a month as a showcase.

That's only 60 or so items since the Journeys End was first announced. Not even a dent in all this so-called amazing massive update we are supposed to be getting.

It would show us that they are indeed working on great things and be an actual reason to be happy with what is coming.

Instead month after month we get silence or pathetic little scraps. All with this air of mystery that this update is going to blow our minds.

And all it's doing is souring us. People talk about how great the devs are towards the players, but that isn't coming through in this silence.

They clearly aren't doing anything despite seeing how disgruntled the fans are becoming. And that is only going to get worse month after month as the PC players wait and still get nothing.

Not only that, some holidays here in the US are coming around and it'll be timings with family and friends, so it's going to be slow.

This is actually part of my disappointment, honestly. This time of year is the only time I get significant time off from my 9-5 to play games a ton. Otherwise, I'm working around a typical work week & sneaking in time when I can (usually losing sleep over it, too).

Alas, maybe holiday season 2020 will be more fruitful. ;)

Have local multiplayer and split-screen for the Switch version have been cancelled? I see a good few people ask about it, but always dead silence is given back. And if they are being scrapped, wouldn't it have been easier to have come forward with that decision and the reasons why?

For those who don't get why many are so negative; its for the fact they have us waiting months on end with pathetic dribbles of information.

Nothing really substantial at all for PC players. With 800 new items, at least according to them, there is no reason whatsoever that they couldn't give us 10 items a month as a showcase.

That's only 60 or so items since the Journeys End was first announced. Not even a dent in all this so-called amazing massive update we are supposed to be getting.

It would show us that they are indeed working on great things and be an actual reason to be happy with what is coming.

Instead month after month we get silence or pathetic little scraps. All with this air of mystery that this update is going to blow our minds.

And all it's doing is souring us. People talk about how great the devs are towards the players, but that isn't coming through in this silence.

They clearly aren't doing anything despite seeing how disgruntled the fans are becoming. And that is only going to get worse month after month as the PC players wait and still get nothing.

I'd like to ask you nicely to please chill out! Terraria is one of the most chill and laid back games I know, fostering creativity in it's players and community. Please don't bring this kind of toxicity here.

Lots of us are disappointed, but please keep in mind that the devs don't owe us anything at this point. Terraria has been a finished and complete product for YEARS now, and it's out of the Dev's own love of the game and community that they have updated it so many times. The Devs probably could have chosen to make Journey's End paid DLC if they really wanted to but they just keep giving us amazing stuff for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom