Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as the last actual update with content was November 15, 2016 (Dungeon Defender II Crossover)...
I'm almost expectant for it to drop in 2020. Hell, even 2021, whatever at this point.

Sure it's good to delay the game though, I have nearly 1,000hrs in Terraria and I'm in love with it, we are fortunate to even be getting another update after its been so long-awaited.
Long story short I love this game and I'm just glad its going to give me a whole new game difficulty for me to suffer through :)

So as everyone else has been saying: Disappointed, not surprised, but good for taking the time to make an actual last update good and "bug-free".

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but for me, a video is worth a million.

also, be patient you PC players. You have plenty of mods to keep you sane.

Last edited:
It is not fun when a game or game update gets delayed. But ultimately it will be for the best. We will want to see more of the incredible stuff that is in store for us. Re-Logic has proven many times in the past that they consistently bring out high quality updates with each major update, so I'm not worried.

The delay means the update can become more amazing and the end product will be well worth the wait!

You do realize you could have updated the game with what you had and then... sent out... another... update with the rest....

For anyone that complains about 1.4 being delayed, you should know that mobile 1.3 got delayed for 4 years. In the end, we got the update. The update was so amazing, you cant even compare it to other games anymore. The new controls, ui, and features are so much better than what they would have been if it released in 2017, or 2018 like they planned with the other two developers (codeglue and then pipeworks iirc). For example, moving in inventory would be impossible, which would make multiplayer much worse, or that online multiplayer wouldn't have even been a thing, along with many other absolutely awesome abilities.

For anyone that complains about 1.4 being delayed, you should know that mobile 1.3 got delayed for 4 years. In the end, we got the update. The update was so amazing, you cant even compare it to other games anymore. The new controls, ui, and features are so much better than what they would have been if it released in 2017, or 2018 like they planned with the other two developers (codeglue and then pipeworks iirc). For example, moving in inventory would be impossible, which would make multiplayer much worse, or that online multiplayer wouldn't have even been a thing, along with many other absolutely awesome abilities.

It would be incredibly sad if this got delayed for a few years as well... given their track record it's what all the people who are sad are probably thinking.

No worries. At least you guys aren't like certain companies that rush broken content and make pitiful excuses for it *glares at EA and Bethesda*.

It's a little upsetting to see a 2020 release. But! in saying that RElogic have always given us great updates and if they say it isn't ready then who am I to judge. 2020 isn't all that far away anyways. if we get it before June next year then ill be pumped, but if not that's fine too. I love this game, the creaters and the community! best of luck!

You could've at least underscored the terrible news (the next big update: originally scheduled for September 2017, yet still being pushed back for nearly half a decade with no real/reliable ETA) with several reveals to soften the blow.
Not even including 1 reveal for 2 consecutive months (this is a good faith assumption that you'll reveal something a month from now in December) on top of this massive disappointment is an equally massive L.
Can't wait to get the buggy release of 1.4 around November of 2022 or beyond.
Fool us once, shame on y'all. Fool us 3 times, and ask us to trust y'all a 4th time? When you yourselves don't even know what quarter of the year you're going to release? Nah, I'm done getting played.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and guess 1.3.4 may be the Switch's last update unless there are performance optimizations to be made. I say this as an owner of the Vita version. The Switch version does have slowdown during the second half of the game which is a bad omen on the update side of things. Same thing happened to the Vita version at 1.2 and up. Unless the performance is improved on Switch I can see the game updates being stopped at 1.3.4(If we're lucky). Otherwise I hope the Switch can handle the rest of the upcoming updates. If not at least we have 1.3 on the go.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the pins not being for sale, seeing as I rather not use the Discord app. It just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I only use it for updates and news.

You could've at least underscored the terrible news (the next big update: originally scheduled for September 2017, yet still being pushed back for nearly half a decade with no real/reliable ETA) with several reveals to soften the blow.
Not even including 1 reveal for 2 consecutive months (this is a good faith assumption that you'll reveal something a month from now in December) on top of this massive disappointment is an equally massive L.
Fool us once, shame on y'all. Fool us 3 times, and ask us to trust y'all a 4th time? When you yourselves don't even know what quarter of the year you're going to release? Nah, I'm done getting played.

I'm a developer first of all and wanna ask, do you know how to develop a game from scratch?
Beacouse they are going to dramatically change nearly EVERYTHING in Terraria, from world gen, to blocks sprites and behaviour, from structures and game environment.
I will tell you 1 thing, every time you're going to be sure that a thing will be released you'll find a dead end provided by bugs, unexpected behaviour or something else.
In a game like Terraria how many damn things there are? Can you imagine yourself going to rewrite a lot of its code? Beacouse i can't, and i'm a developer.

:red: happens, and the delay is fully understandable for me.
No real ETA? Well if you act like that when they need to delay after saying that "PROBABLY" the update could be done in Q4 2019, imagine if they had to delay a REAL date.
No one gives real dates to an update unless they already have it done, beacouse it's IMPOSSIBLE to respect the ETA and have the update fully working with all the features.

EDIT : Also remember that this is the LAST update to Terraria, Jesus i want that to be epic in all the ways and can wait also another 1 or 2 years, beacouse this will sure provide me another 1K hours of play.

I feel like a broken record at this point, as I'm sure I've said this several times before, but thank you for consistently caring about your community and keeping us up-to-date with all the goings-on for every version of the game, and all the other projects relating to it. Many devs don't take the time to foster community relations and let them stagnate, and let people begin to wonder if a game has been abandoned. With Terraria, this has never been a concern. You've always been honest about what's happening, even when making hard decisions like delaying updates or cancelling Otherworld. That has to be one of my favourite things about Re-Logic as a company.

While yes, people will be upset, perhaps unreasonably so (coughsee belowcough), it's evident time and time again that everyone there cares a great deal about the quality, quantity, and reception standards of every update. Given that, if everything goes to plan, this is to be Terraria's final update, I can only hope this determination and vigor carries over to whatever new projects lie ahead! So many times now, the game has been "finished", yet you all keep coming back and delivering to the community great new content, fixes, overhauls, and more, all free of additional charge! Re-Logic really feels like the gold-standard that developers should strive for: Caring for the community, frequent interaction and notification, honesty, integrity, a dedication to their products AND playerbase above all else. Thank you again for providing this amazing game, and for continuing to provide for it until a point you can sit back, satisfied, and say "this is the best it can be".

5 months. Still no split screen on switch.

I've fumed endlessly here. It is an understatement to say that I regret my purchase.

I hope my salt haunts you. Shame.
The switch is half handheld, and considering how many buttons a single joycon has, supporting splitscreen on it seems like it would be a massive headache.
Did they even advertise there would be splitscreen? I'm asking honestly here, I legitimately do not know if they did.
If they did, yes it's something they need to fix, and the lack of a fix is worrysome.
If they didn't... You still got a massive singleplayer game with online multiplayer support, equivalent to what the PC version has (aside from Nintendo online being paid-for but that's what you get with Consoles these days). And Terraria, last I checked, is not even an expensive game.
Also Switch development is handled by Pipeworks, not Re-Logic, so you may be barking up the wrong tree.

September 2017... So if it releases in September 2020 (It will likely release several months before that) that's 3 years. Not even close to half a decade. Semantics? Yes. But still.
While reveals are nice, yes, they're not required to give tons of them. From what I understand though, the Discord and various Dev Twitters showcase things more often than on the forums if you want to check there. If you think Re-Logic is bad at communicating reveals, boy do I have horror stories for you from so many other companies.
November 2022 is just a ridiculous assumption. 1.3.6 was pushed back since they decided to do a massive final update instead of several smaller updates. 1.4 was pushed back a bit more because they wanted to include everything in that update instead of launching a bunch of smaller content updates later on, once again. While I agree that the philosophy of saving everything for one update isn't great, Re-Logic has a quality standard that I have yet to see broken. The few updates that have had really major bugs have been patched generally very quickly and reliably. Will 1.4 be buggier? Probably, given its size. Most large game updates are. Heck, most games these days have EVERY patch full of bugs, most of which never get fixed. Is that okay? No. And again, I've followed Terraria for a long time and Re-Logic have been one of few consistently good companies about improving and fixing their game in a timely manner.

So okay, if you're gonna take a really frank delay announcement because they want time to make the quality and quantity both befitting a massive overhaul and final content update, and assume it's some kind of personal attack and that they're trying to trick you... because... that's somehow good for business?... No. Stop being, as much as I hate this word, entitled. 1.3 was going to be the last update originally. Hell, 1.2 was going to be the last update at one point. The fact that they're even MAKING 1.4 is a testament to how much they care about both the game and the community. They could cancel the update entirely and the game would still be a top-notch complete product.
If you don't want to stick around and wait, then fine, don't. That's a pretty healthy thing to do, actually, rather than clinging to the hype-train.
Come back when 1.4 releases, if you want, and decide then if you approve.
If not, then oh well, you still got a massive amount of content with just 1.3, and if you can't enjoy that then maybe the game isn't for you.

Anyway...

Just as I was planning to buy a gamepad that works both on mobile and PC, this shows up. Yay!

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.” — Shigeru Miyamoto.

Take your time and keep up the good work, everyone! Just throw a few more spoilers every now and then to keep us hyped, we'll appreciate it!

While reading so many comments about complaining about the PC update delay, I feel like they forget one thing that we are receiving things for free that could of worth more than 20 bucks.

I'm a little upset since I was setting up my world to get ready for 1.4 but it's all good because we have a big community with loads of mods to play on.

If you recall, the update was originally said by Cenx to be Q4 2018.
the next big update: originally scheduled for September 2017
Hi @IndigoRage and @FiveSix78, I think both of you may have received some misinformation. As far as I recall, there hasn’t been a release date or even timeframe given for 1.3.6 or 1.4 besides the trailer featured in E3 stating 2019.

Here’s some backup for that: and here: Search Twitter - 1.3.6 Release date (from:terraria_logic)

Perhaps you read something about console or mobile and thought it was about PC?

Of course you can have whatever feelings you’d like on the delay that was just announced. I just want to keep the facts on course as there hasn’t been a release timeframe given for 1.3.6 (which morphed into 1.4). :)

Last edited:
Apology accepted!

Don't worry about the delay. I understand. I believe the future updates will be awesome, so you guys need more time.

Of course, I'm a bit disappointed, too, but on the other hand... it's the last "big thing". It should be done right, so take all the time you need.

On a side note... back in July, I wanted to start fresh all over with Terraria. I haven't played the game for real since 1.3.0.8... and after reading all the changes, I thought that would be a good time for it. Then I read about 1.3.6/1.4 and decided to wait a bit longer... so for the good or worse, that was actually the "news" I needed to hear. I now know that I have at least 2 months, probably more, to enjoy 1.3.5.3 from scratch (for the first time ever with controller... and I played since 1.0.2... so wish me luck to get used to it). Would have been nice to come back to the game with 1.4, sure, but now that this "it could be released every week from now" thoughts are over, I'm sure I will have fun with 1.3.5.x anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom