Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since seeing the trailer (Junish iirc, could be wrong) I've been hyped for this update, watching each state of the month with excitement.
Me having a very small experience in modding makes me understand the hoops the team is jumping through. Making a fun game isn't easy and takes a lot of resources.
I very much appreciate that this game is getting an update in the first place with work being done on it probably as I type. Even if it is the last update, it's had more communication than one of my favorite games called TF2, which has had me and other people wonder if we are even getting another update.
I've learned with Nintendo how silent they are in communication, but also surprisingly fun some of their games can be on the first playthrough (Smash 4, Odyssey/Botw, and LM3 are good examples)
Silence is more key than anything else right now. When I find something new in a video game it's most of the time fun as I begin to toy around with it and learning how it works.
Or get a new part of something goofy/themed my character can wear or use like the plumbers outfit.

I also understand how it feels to have something you've been waiting for delayed (Smash 4 has multiple times iirc). It's not the happiest feeling in the world, but you would rather had known it would've been delayed than not to know, which the team told us the day after they made the final decision on that.

And for those with the splitscreen thing going on, I can sort of understand. It's like playing Mario Party or Smash alone, when you want to play with people.
And a miscommunication somewhere somehow, caused the frustration and possibly anger.
Just a tip: Do some research before making a final decision when it comes to buying stuff, I have to do this all the time in TF2 Trading or buying a game, whether old or new, it helps a ton.

I apologize if I went a bit off topic, just wanted to give my thoughts/some points on the matter with some examples. And by no means am I telling anyone to feel a specific way, that's just mean.
Thank you again for this free and exciting update Terraria Team, I hope everything goes smoothly, oh and have a cookie for your hard work 🍪.

Edit: Grammar Error

Last edited:
I don't really think it's that bad.

I feel sorry for everyone else, but being a Mobile player and only owning a Chromebook, it's not that bad.

speaking of Chromebooks, will you add keybinding to Chromebook or devices that have physical keyboard support?

Just a tip: Do some research before making a final decision when it comes to buying stuff, I have to do this all the time in TF2 Trading or buying a game, whether old or new, it helps a ton.

You assume that some of us didn't do some research which is not the case. It said it had split screen on the eShop.

Now, I understand your tip wasn't intended to be malicious but it really tilted me. You're blaming the victim.

I was so excited when I saw this game on the eShop. I read the bullet points listing features and then eagerly showed my wife. After that I thought, "maybe I should wait..." Which lead into the following thought, "no, I know we will play the heck out of it. We LOVE this game so I'm going to get it now." It was late and my wife was busy the next few days so I solo'd to gather some items. Never even beat the eye of Cthulhu.

Finally we both got time to play together. She created her character and then it all fell apart as we failed to find a way to do what we set out to do - split screen play.

Now I'm hollow inside and the love I once felt has turned to a salty rage. I appreciate the tip friend, but I'm afraid it did me no good.

Saw the preview of the new summon staff ... (based on the damage numbers) new early-game weapon?
Any new summoner end-game weapon?

I appreciate the communication.

At initial release how long did you/they anticipate the addition of ss to take on the switch version?

Also, what company associated with this title was in charge of the information on the Nintendo eShop and online retailers such as amazon?

Yeah, I share your frustration - all I can personally do is share my hands-on experience with the feature.

505 Games is our publisher for console and mobile, so all storefront information on those platforms goes via them. The full intent was to have Local/SS in at launch... and it wasn't ready for primetime late in the process - so I wager some wires got crossed somewhere with someone there. Again, not making excuses and totally get your frustration (its part of why the importance of the feature has been underscored - that and we are huge couch co-op fans ourselves at Re-Logic).

As to "why how 1.3.1 could be completed if this is not", that comes down to different people working on different things (in keeping it simple). SS/Local is a separate feature/playmode from the core content - so they intertwine but not in a sequential sense. I'm probably being confusing lol.

All I can say is that we won't let the issue die and will continue to have it at the top of the pile from our end to be brought to completion at a satisfactory level. It has certainly taken longer than we would have hoped or thought, to answer that last question honestly.

Yeah, I share your frustration - all I can personally do is share my hands-on experience with the feature.

505 Games is our publisher for console and mobile, so all storefront information on those platforms goes via them. The full intent was to have Local/SS in at launch... and it wasn't ready for primetime late in the process - so I wager some wires got crossed somewhere with someone there. Again, not making excuses and totally get your frustration (its part of why the importance of the feature has been underscored - that and we are huge couch co-op fans ourselves at Re-Logic).

As to "why how 1.3.1 could be completed if this is not", that comes down to different people working on different things (in keeping it simple). SS/Local is a separate feature/playmode from the core content - so they intertwine but not in a sequential sense. I'm probably being confusing lol.

All I can say is that we won't let the issue die and will continue to have it at the top of the pile from our end to be brought to completion at a satisfactory level. It has certainly taken longer than we would have hoped or thought, to answer that last question honestly.

Again, I appreciate the response.

So it was intended to be in at launch and 5 months later we still don't have it and don't know when it will meet the required standards.

I guess I just really want to understand how that happened. At some point there must have been a moment that someone thought, "team...this is going to take us MUCH longer than we thought."

Again, I appreciate the response.

So it was intended to be in at launch and 5 months later we still don't have it and don't know when it will meet the required standards.

I guess I just really want to understand how that happened. At some point there must have been a moment that someone thought, "team...this is going to take us MUCH longer than we thought."
I also wonder what exactly happened. I don't see that it has been explained enough, even though they don't even need to explain.

You assume that some of us didn't do some research which is not the case. It said it had split screen on the eShop.

Now, I understand your tip wasn't intended to be malicious but it really tilted me. You're blaming the victim.

I was so excited when I saw this game on the eShop. I read the bullet points listing features and then eagerly showed my wife. After that I thought, "maybe I should wait..." Which lead into the following thought, "no, I know we will play the heck out of it. We LOVE this game so I'm going to get it now." It was late and my wife was busy the next few days so I solo'd to gather some items. Never even beat the eye of Cthulhu.

Finally we both got time to play together. She created her character and then it all fell apart as we failed to find a way to do what we set out to do - split screen play.

Now I'm hollow inside and the love I once felt has turned to a salty rage. I appreciate the tip friend, but I'm afraid it did me no good.

After reading this I realize your definition of research and my definition of research may be completely different, I didn't mean to tilt you at all.

Clarification: Go see what other people say about the game, Not just what the Eshop says about it, and research the reason why you wanted to buy it, in your case it was splitscreen, I just took a look and there's some posts from just googling Terraria Switch Multiplayer, and Terraria Switch Split Screen. There's even a post on these forums about it's release when it released saying
  • Some Switch features we talked about pre-launch weren’t quite ready for prime-time, and we’re going to talk about them in future updates. These include:

• Local docked split-screen

(If you're active on the forums, I'm not so I wasn't aware there was a post about it).
I'm not trying to put the blame on you, just trying to give some advice for anything in the future you might buy, so that this situation doesn't happen again. And again, I'm sorry that I tilted you.

Edit: I'll go on ahead and be quiet, this is not gonna go well at this rate. I'm sorry mods for starting this.

Last edited:
I bought it at launch. A game that I have purchased 3 times before. I do not need to do "research". The eShop description should tell me everything I need to know about a game I've purchased 3 times in the past. I also shouldn't have to fact check their store listing. If it says there is split screen on the eShop then the game should have split screen. Please stop excusing them and creating a narrative where I am the one who failed in some way. These things are not ok. I am only here on these forums because this happened. I did not receive any communication about split screen being late until after my purchase, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it! Do you think everyone that has purchased the switch version was previously a member of this community? Absolutely not.

If you REALLY want to help me then you should be empathetic and stop trying to give them a free pass on an issue that I don't believe really effects you. If you want to help say something like, "hey that sucks, they shouldn't do that. They should have communicated better."

You're basically saying that if I go to a Starbucks I should walk around outside asking people if the Starbucks was selling them coffee and pastries. It's silly.

I also wonder what exactly happened. I don't see that it has been explained enough, even though they don't even need to explain.

When we (Re-Logic) got our hands on it, SS just simply wasn't good enough. Performance issues - similar to what you can get in normal play, but on steroids. Enough to very materially impact gameplay.

PW has been trying to squeeze more and more out of it, but it still wasn't there last we played. Better? Beyond any shadow of a doubt. LOADS better than it was prelaunch... but still below the bar in our opinion. Performance issues are often the hardest to fully track down, as they are not as simple as "bug X happens with steps a, b, c"... if that makes any sense.

No one wants to have this more than we do - I would love to play with my kids, for example - so we will keep pressing hard for it. Wish I could give a specific instant it will be done, but I don't know that. As for the technical aspects under the hood, that is all well and truly over my head...

When we (Re-Logic) got our hands on it, SS just simply wasn't good enough. Performance issues - similar to what you can get in normal play, but on steroids. Enough to very materially impact gameplay.

PW has been trying to squeeze more and more out of it, but it still wasn't there last we played. Better? Beyond any shadow of a doubt. LOADS better than it was prelaunch... but still below the bar in our opinion. Performance issues are often the hardest to fully track down, as they are not as simple as "bug X happens with steps a, b, c"... if that makes any sense.

No one wants to have this more than we do - I would love to play with my kids, for example - so we will keep pressing hard for it. Wish I could give a specific instant it will be done, but I don't know that. As for the technical aspects under the hood, that is all well and truly over my head...
So when you guys got your hands on it obviously was before release. I still don't understand. How was it assumed it would be a quick fix if it was so bad?

Why call it journeys end? how do you know you won't come back to terraria and add even more content at some point?

I'm not one of the devs, but I know a few things about software development. Sometimes the things that seem like an easy, quick fix are the problems that take you weeks or even months to track down. Debugging is not a simple process, and more often than not error codes tell you nothing about what actually broke. Sometimes the source of bad performance is a subroutine written by a guy 6 months ago that no one else helped him with, nobody knows what it does, removing or modifying it breaks the entire program, and the guy that wrote it left the company 3 months ago on bad terms. Software is extremely complicated, and very easy to create in a way that is completely unreadable to even a trained eye. This is rather common in companies where time is more important than proper self documenting code.

I'm not saying the devs should get a free pass, but I can easily see how they could have thought they had time to fix it with only a few weeks left till launch, and realized right before launch it wasn't going to get fixed in time. Still they probably thought it would be out soon enough to not bother updating the marketing materials. I expect updating the store page is not a free service if it hasn't been changed already.

In hindsight somebody was overestimating either the skill of the devs or the ease of the fix. It sucks, but it happens.

This is why I am asking LOKI these questions, to better understand from someone who actually knows. I appreciate your answer but it's not the answer I'm looking for from the person I'd like it from.

I will say in regards to "it happens", that is your choice, not mine.

Oh and @Loki the amazon.com listing for the switch title STILL lists split screen as a feature.

My goodness you are a pleasure to discuss things with.

I think the answer your looking for is who is responsible for misleading your purchase. You're not going to get that answer. You're not gonna find out who is culpable for misleading you into purchasing the switch version for the split screen feature. You're not going to be told who is to blame for this in any legally accountable way.

Even in the hypothetical world where you did get this information, what is it going to do for you? It's not going to change anything about the purchase you've already made. It's not worth taking anyone to court over either, even in small claims court.

I'm genuinely curious what this information you're after is really for.

I'm glad you find me enjoyable.

I still don't understand. How was it assumed it would be a quick fix if it was so bad?

So when you guys got your hands on it obviously was before release. I still don't understand. How was it assumed it would be a quick fix if it was so bad?
Proto Persona is right about this. Sometimes in programming you will assume that something will be really easy and later realize that the code you thought you would use doesn't work, so you start to change your code a little, and then nothing works, so you have to restart that part again from scratch.

Also, I don't think Loki programs anything in terraria.

Proto Persona is right about this. Sometimes in programming you will assume that something will be really easy and later realize that the code you thought you would use doesn't work, so you start to change your code a little, and then nothing works, so you have to restart that part again from scratch.

Also, I don't think Loki programs anything in terraria.

No but he might ACTUALLY know what happened. I also have some programming experience so big whoop. Who would actually know? Hmmm...oh yeah!

@Loki

It's been 5 months. Communication has been Terrible. Split screen is still being misrepresented on Amazon. None of this is ok. I simply seek to understand, Loki.

I still don't understand. How was it assumed it would be a quick fix if it was so bad?
Hard to say. Maybe the problem is just the Switch itself. I've heard that it rather under powered so it may be just a hardware issue. Things like that are why I haven't got a Switch yet.
If it makes you feel any better I've got the PC version and we don't have split screen on that either. That would be kind of a nice feature to have really.

You've been given an answer. More than once, and by Loki himself. Yet you're still asking for more answers, more clarification.

So I ask, what are you trying to get an understanding of? What are you going to do once you have an understanding? Are you trying to tell the devs what they should have done? Attempting to make sure it never happens again? What actions are you trying to accomplish?

I ask of YOU, what are YOU trying to get an understanding of, what are YOU going to do once YOU have an understanding? Are YOU trying to tell ME what I should do? Etc etc.

Please stop trolling me and move along.

@llmarinen thank you for your post which was constructive and not simply fanboy trolling. I don't know many people who play any split screen on PC but I'm sure there are plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom