Terraria State of the Game: November 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited for the December state of the game. I have no idea why but for some reason I am.

Also, what if it's all a joke!? What if 1.4 launches on new years day? I know this is very unrealistic but it's a fun thought.
That would be the absolute best way to start off the year :D

-hands lolipop made out of a spoiler to the community-
There, y'all got your spoiler for the month, we Gucci? The delay really is not that big a deal...I'm so E X C I T E for this update!!!
ohyeah.png

Edit: Sorry I sent this from mobile and its gigantic xD, reduced the size!

Last edited:
I'm excited for the December state of the game. I have no idea why but for some reason I am.

Also, what if it's all a joke!? What if 1.4 launches on new years day? I know this is very unrealistic but it's a fun thought.
Well that's plausible, but we can only wait until it's ready.

Last edited:
We know we could have taken the Minecraft pricing model (pre-Microsoft, which layered in MTX) and slowly raised the price over time. Not doing this was a conscious decision on our part, based on internal discussions.

That leads to Terraria on PC - frankly - being pretty under-priced vs what you get in return in 2019... and even moreso once JE releases. We are ok with this, even though it causes price-relative complaints from other platforms where the same dynamics are not allowable/feasible.

Just "Go hire a bunch of people" is how things like the fall of Payday 2 happens.

Loki, I just have to ask, your team was capable of making great changes that would have been perfectly acceptable to your sworn follower-ship. Changes such as, creating Paid DLC, hiring and training staff (Five years, dood, five.), and even taking the plunge to look to the community to contribute. 'Cause, let's face it, there are thousands of nerds chomping at the bit to be a part of the gaming industry, that are also your fans. To me, from my point of view, it seems like more of a non-committal scapegoat: "We didn't charge that much, and our updates are free! Look at how magnanimous we are! Just don't look at how this absolves us of our commitments."

And can you blame me? Five. Years.

It would be fine if y'all went and made some form of reconciliation, I'd be one of these folks blindly supporting you for it. But you didn't. You are cancelling all future updates after throwing away years of promises. I don't know, I probably shouldn't bother anymore and just move on. But I stayed invested every moment, put money aside, was ready to merch 'til I dropped, but then Otherworld suddenly poof'd. I guess we, the upset ones, just want more than vague "felt this decision" nonsense explanations, and just solid accountability.

5 years for what? I am so confused. It hasn't even been 5 years since 1.3 dropped on PC.

Again, we made the conscious decision to NOT do paid DLC and the like. That is our call to make and we made it - and I suspect that 99.9% of the fanbase appreciates that. Nowhere in what I wrote was what you paraphrased - I wasn't even speaking to your points - I am just explaining what we did and why. You are free to take that however you wish. :)

Our long-standing and overarching commitment is to make sure that PC updates are worthy of where we want to take the game. That has always been "when its ready" above all. To be sure, we did have a 2019 goal and we had that in the trailer. Game dev happens though, and it had to be pushed back. Let's not act like this is some Early Access game where you have a paucity of content to play with and we "took your money and ran off". Because, if you read your tone and text, that is precisely how it reads. Perhaps that is unintentional, perhaps not.

By my recollection - at least in regards to PC Terraria updates - this is the first public official "delay" we have had to announce. I do know that Console/Switch/Mobile had a rockier road there - but that isn't really what we are talking about. We have always stressed "when it is ready" across every update.

The team *has* expanded over time - ironically mostly via community sourcing as you suggest. Even myself, sourced from within the community. However, we have no desire to follow the "overquick team growth" path that has tripped up many other companies in our place. Slow, steady, and smart growth. Perhaps that is slower than you want - but that is how it is.

What future updates did we cancel? I really have not one clue what you are talking about there. If you mean stopping Terraria PC updates - at some point, you have to call a project complete, turn it over to the community (we have fantastic modders after all!) and move on to the next big thing to work on. We are very excited to start that journey!

----

Perhaps it seems you are still salty about TOW?

Otherworld was not directly developed by Re-Logic. Perhaps that was part of the issue? We may never know - but suffice to say that the explanation we gave then stands. The game as it exists/existed is miles and miles from the vision needed to hit. No one was more sad about that than us - we did not take the decision to sacrifice a lot of time and treasure to the annals of history easily. Still was the right call.

Our only commitment on that project was to make it worthy and do right by the fans. In this instance, that is precisely what we did rather than pushing out something below our standards to "cash in" on the Terraria name. I'm sure you can point to many examples in the industry where the other path was selected - likely more often than not - much to the detriment of gamers.

Reconciliation? For what? I would daresay that Terraria as it stands right now is a fantastic game and even better value - even if Journey's End vanished tomorrow (which it is MOST CERTAINLY NOT).

Beyond that, I am not really sure what you are on about or what to say. I guess you will have your opinion, and that is your right.

I'ma just leave this right here
thatsmababy.png

I have the utmost faith in its string of amazing accomplishments and feats that they will provide something worth the wait.
some form of reconciliation
This just makes me sick. :sigh:
EDIT: For those who don't understand what I meant by quoting that, as I've found out some cannot comprehend it, I simply meant "reconciliation" is a strong word, they didn't do anything wrong, ultimately it is their game and we are its humble patrons. "But that gives us even more reason to be mad!" some would probably say in a salty and passive-aggressive fashion, and hey, that's you. You do you. ;)

Last edited:
5 years for what? I am so confused. It hasn't even been 5 years since 1.3 dropped on PC.

Again, we made the conscious decision to NOT do paid DLC and the like. That is our call to make and we made it - and I suspect that 99.9% of the fanbase appreciates that. Nowhere in what I wrote was what you paraphrased - I wasn't even speaking to your points - I am just explaining what we did and why. You are free to take that however you wish. :)

Our long-standing and overarching commitment is to make sure that PC updates are worthy of where we want to take the game. That has always been "when its ready" above all. To be sure, we did have a 2019 goal and we had that in the trailer. Game dev happens though, and it had to be pushed back. Let's not act like this is some Early Access game where you have a paucity of content to play with and we "took your money and ran off". Because, if you read your tone and text, that is precisely how it reads. Perhaps that is unintentional, perhaps not.

By my recollection - at least in regards to PC Terraria updates - this is the first public official "delay" we have had to announce. I do know that Console/Switch/Mobile had a rockier road there - but that isn't really what we are talking about. We have always stressed "when it is ready" across every update.

The team *has* expanded over time - ironically mostly via community sourcing as you suggest. Even myself, sourced from within the community. However, we have no desire to follow the "overquick team growth" path that has tripped up many other companies in our place. Slow, steady, and smart growth. Perhaps that is slower than you want - but that is how it is.

What future updates did we cancel? I really have not one clue what you are talking about there. If you mean stopping Terraria PC updates - at some point, you have to call a project complete, turn it over to the community (we have fantastic modders after all!) and move on to the next big thing to work on. We are very excited to start that journey!

----

Perhaps it seems you are still salty about TOW?

Otherworld was not directly developed by Re-Logic. Perhaps that was part of the issue? We may never know - but suffice to say that the explanation we gave then stands. The game as it exists/existed is miles and miles from the vision needed to hit. No one was more sad about that than us - we did not take the decision to sacrifice a lot of time and treasure to the annals of history easily. Still was the right call.

Our only commitment on that project was to make it worthy and do right by the fans. In this instance, that is precisely what we did rather than pushing out something below our standards to "cash in" on the Terraria name. I'm sure you can point to many examples in the industry where the other path was selected - likely more often than not - much to the detriment of gamers.

Reconciliation? For what? I would daresay that Terraria as it stands right now is a fantastic game and even better value - even if Journey's End vanished tomorrow (which it is MOST CERTAINLY NOT).

Beyond that, I am not really sure what you are on about or what to say. I guess you will have your opinion, and that is your right.
You mention early access. The switch port comes to mind.

"When it's ready" - almost 6 months.

In regards to 1.4, I am very excited to see what it entails since it SOUNDS like more than just an item dump.

That does not mean we are just hanging out, derping around either. Tons of hard work goes in each and every day.

Oh, what? Don't ruin my fantasy of Re-Logic being the awesome workplace I'd hoped the game industry would be when I was a kid, where making games took effort but wasn't a stressful grind all day everyday and sometimes even worse. Please, let me have that dream.;( And also a job there. You can never have too many artists.

And totally seriously, I never meant any dig at Re-Logic's (assumed) practices. Crunch time and working people to an early grave is a serious problem. It won't change until there are studios that don't run things that way, thereby giving people an alternative, like how the five-day workweek wasn't standard until the likes of Henry Ford instituted it in his factories. I have only praise and respect regarding any studio that maintains a healthy work environment, there's no shame whatsoever in taking it easy enough to enjoy life. A harmful work ethic is not an admirable thing.

I don't think anybody wants them to work themselves to death.

I think what people who are upset are looking for probably aligns more with the statement "work smarter not harder"

Game development is hard, no doubt.

I'm actually not upset that the game is being delayed? It's as a very wise man once said: A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game... well, you know the rest.

What makes ME a little sad is hearing that the delay is because there are absolute plans to never touch the game again afterward.

It really will be the end won't it? :C

Whatever guys, it doesn't matter if we discuss about the delay and whatsoever. It happens. Let's be happy for what comes and be patient. Developers are working their asses off for this, and we should be thankful for getting an update. I also wish everyone merry christmas in future, might not be online lol.

I'm really excited for TJE, can't wait... :)
Maybe this will draw me back to the game, as I've kinda left it behind and that's not good.
Anyway, good luck on updating Terraria for 2020 release!
<3

Oh, what? Don't ruin my fantasy of Re-Logic being the awesome workplace I'd hoped the game industry would be when I was a kid

It is mostly that awesome workplace - you can work hard while not feeling like you are mining salt in the darkness of the mines. :)

Crunch time and working people to an early grave is a serious problem.

We agree, so we don't do it.

It Looks Like It Will Be Far More Then An Item Dump.

Indeed. I think even the E3 trailer shows that to be the case. :)

What makes ME a little sad is hearing that the delay is because there are absolute plans to never touch the game again afterward.

As that is the stated plan (as it has been since we shared JE), we have to move forward with that in mind. I mean, I suppose anything could happen, but our plan is for this to be the case, yes.

As that is the stated plan (as it has been since we shared JE), we have to move forward with that in mind. I mean, I suppose anything could happen, but our plan is for this to be the case, yes.
Question, when you say "never touch the game again" does that apply to hotfixes? I hope there isn't a massive bug found right after release that gets ignored...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom