Terraria State of the Game - September 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less chaotic? Does that mean he’s less jittery and attacks less? Or that they’ve nerfed his attack damage a bit?
Do describe a bit more if you can, not only for me but for those who might also find this content important. :)

According to the 1.4 changelog, his attacks are synced to each other correctly, so you should always be able to tell what attack is coming next if you learn the fight and pay attention. His forehead eye is also open an extra ~3-4 seconds so it doesn’t last so much longer than every other eye.

Less chaotic? Does that mean he’s less jittery and attacks less? Or that they’ve nerfed his attack damage a bit?
Do describe a bit more if you can, not only for me but for those who might also find this content important. :)
Well, when ML was designed, his body parts were designed to stay in sync. For some reason, it didn't work, making him extremely chaotic and spammy. In 1.4, they fixed him so that his parts stayed in sync and were much easier to predict.
So, yeah, less jittery.

Ooh! Do those projectiles also go through tiles or are they like the ones that the other 2 eyes shoot out? o_O

According to the wiki, he shoots 2 phantasmal bolts, basically the small lasers that travel through blocks and try to lead your movement. Not a super special attack, but you do have to pay attention to them because they aim where you are going so it’s not as simple as “extra 4 seconds on eye”.

For those of you on mobile, please note that the following will be removed or changed when the 1.4 update comes:

1. You will no longer get cash from statue spawned creatures by selling them.

2. Summoning the “Slime King” In other bioms to obtain hard to get weapons such as the “Amarok” or “Yeleets” will not work anymore.

3. crates obtained pre-hardmode will not drop hardmode ores after you have entered hardmode.

4. The “Moon lord“s laser beam will penetrate blocks.:eek:

5. And probably lots more that I have yet to notice or simply forgot to mention.
(If there is something else that changed please do say so in the comments so that others may prepare for those changes as well.)

I believe that all this is worth losing though, for in its stead we get new NPCs such as the “zoologist” and the “Golfer”, new ways to farm like the “Tree Pots” or the “Gem Trees”.
We get new bosses, new weapons, and better yet, all the twerks they’ve done throughout the five years to make sure stupid bugs don’t occur during your play through of Terraria.

We get so many new and great things to change how we play the game for the better, and I believe it’s worth letting go of these little things to open a path for what the developers have made for us :happy:
For 2, you got it wrong, you can still use him for that, you just cant use him for souls of light or night

For 2, you got it wrong, you can still use him for that, you just cant use him for souls of light or night
Ah, that would make more sense since the Amarok or the Yeleets isn’t that hard to get, thank you!

According to the wiki, he shoots 2 phantasmal bolts, basically the small lasers that travel through blocks and try to lead your movement. Not a super special attack, but you do have to pay attention to them because they aim where you are going so it’s not as simple as “extra 4 seconds on eye”.
Wow! I can’t wait to fight this upgraded version of the Moon Lord! Thank you for answering my question :)

Aren't these based on PC though? It sounds like that will take us farther away from the parity with PC.

Also, will we still be able to use our custom controls whilst in "legacy"?

Parity with PC should be focused around content and features. If tweaks to other things are needed to optimize the experience on a given platform, then we should be open to that.

The existing/PW era gamepad setup is quite similar to the PC gamepad setup. That would be more or less "Legacy" - and yes, remapping would still be a thing for sure.

However, Mobile Gamepad is a different approach (and I highly encourage anyone thinking "ew mobile" to expand their thinking) - one with a LOT more mappings both in the default and the choices available to the player. I've personally taken a very active role in the setup of the "Advanced Default" of the Mobile Gamepad, with a lot of iterations on it - and I can honestly say that once the muscle memory is there, I prefer it (and I have to go back and forth between console and mobile constantly... so I probably have more muscle memory issues than anyone else will lol).

As just one example - buff canceling.

CURRENT:
  • Open Inventory
  • Tab to upper right section
  • Open "gear" sub-menu
  • Scroll down to the buffs
  • Pick the one you want
  • Cancel button

"MOBILE" ADVANCED DEFAULT
  • Press RB+X/B to cycle between buffs
  • Press RB+Y to cancel the one you want

UI differences play into that experience as well - but, again, the plan is to have some sort of "Legacy" here for those that prefer the current console setup/approach.

praying for a way to save a jungle in the infection phase

Can always start a new player/world in Journey Mode and just.... remove the spreading. ;)

guess i better make a note, or take screenshots, of my control set-up then... incase 1.4 jumbles everything.

Not a bad idea, to be fair.

i wouldn't say it's "fair".

more like it's just unfair for other people now, instead of mobile players.

"Fairness" isn't the driving force - the driving force is getting the best version to as many folks as possible as soon as possible. We do not all sit around a table and prioritize one over the other. :p

Exactly the word I was thinking of.

What makes you say this? Just curious. Again, especially if you have the option to maintain the Legacy approach. Is it just the assumption that mobile is inherently inferior in all ways to all other platforms so it cannot possibly translate over and therefore this version will inherently be worse in some way? In what ways are you most concerned that this will be the case? Serious question. :)

B. They also made him less chaotic, so it is easier to fight him legit

If I can kill him in Turtle Armor in normal difficulty on mobile in my first try on Mobile 1.4, I am confident that you all will do just fine. :)

Console is a whole different beast and will never be cross-compatible in any way.

Console limitations go beyond file formats. For example, on XB1, your saves are tied to your XBL profile... so there is no easy way to actually "get" them individually to move around. Mobile allows you to use the File systems on iOS/Android even now to, say, copy a save from your device to the cloud or onto your PC (but as mentioned, they are not compatible... nor will they be when 1.4.1 releases... but once everyone is on the same version, well, that is a story for another day :eek:)

what about if

A. you are in normal/expert/master mode

B. upon entering hardmode it slams into the jungle, losing a portion

C. If the evil spawned in the jungle upon world generation.

i assume nothing will be changed upon the hardmode spread and the jungle.

what about if

No, but recently I discovered that chlorophyte has a field of "anti infection" around it which actually converts dirt into mud and halts the spread of corruption/crimson. Your underground jungle will be fine, it's only your surface jungle that's going to go bad.

Can always start a new player/world in Journey Mode and just.... remove the spreading. ;)

Too bad 90% of large words i generate start with Crimson/Corruption in middle the Jungle at very start of the world in 1.4
Snow biome also is getting shafted majority of the time. Actually its way too common for both Snow biome and Jungle being covered in C/C most of the time upon world generation.

Any improvements towards that aspect of Worldgen was made in 1.4.1? Or not really and people still have to resort to using Tedit to "fix" this?

Last edited:
what about if

I really wish they had just made jungle immune to spreading biomes completely in 1.4 since they've decided to stop developing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom