PC Terraria/Steam crashing every 30 minutes or so

DanByte

Terrarian
Not sure why this happens, but after 1.3.0.4, my Terraria just crashes randomly, just closes out of the game and doesn't save my progress. Then, Steam starts to not respond and I have to close the process. This is getting to a point where it ruins my enjoyment of the game.

I've tried re-installing Terraria and Steam, but it didn't help.

Not sure why this happens, but after 1.3.0.4, my Terraria just crashes randomly, just closes out of the game and doesn't save my progress. Then, Steam starts to not respond and I have to close the process. This is getting to a point where it ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Same thing has been happening to me. :(

7/13/2015 3:28:46 PM
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "Images\Item_3601". File not found. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Error loading "Content\Images\Item_3601.xnb". File not found.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
at Terraria.Main.LoadContent()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
at Terraria.Main.Initialize()
[DOUBLEPOST=1436918032,1436917931][/DOUBLEPOST]7/13/2015 3:28:46 PM
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "Images\Item_3601". File not found. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Error loading "Content\Images\Item_3601.xnb". File not found.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)

[DOUBLEPOST=1436918032,1436917931][/DOUBLEPOST]7/13/2015 3:28:46 PM

same thing keeps happening here i also play on 2 computers and my cloud wont sync i keep loosing my items !!!!!

Dude, i have same problem to, lost a lot staff in main world.

heres mine:

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args)

the same problem as you

Same issue, same error log. Verifying Cache via Steam does not solve the issue. The issue appears to occur at random, but never within the first 30 minutes of playing (so far). Has been occurring since 1.3.0.2 for me.

(Before anyone asks, disabling the steam overlay does not fix this either. I've seen a few people saying it fixes the issue, but in my testing, this has no effect.)

FYI, this is on a Win8 x64 machine.

One other thing I noticed about the crash: when crashing, the player's inventory is saved, but the world is not. Thus, upon restarting Steam and Terraria, on older version of the world is loaded. This was presumably happening before, but I happened to notice this time when I lost a ton of granite and dynasty wood (while building)...

I have this same error also, same crash log text even. Must be something to do with that Content\Images\Item_3601.xnb perhaps?

It's happened to me 5 times now at random times, and I can't really remember anything specific about any of the times other than I was just off exploring. :/

Edit: Turns out there's another thread about this same issue, if you're on the Steam version, it suggests verifying your game cache, I just did that, 1 file failed to verify, just playing now to see if it crashes, but I'm fairly sure it should be fixed.

Update: It crashed again, I just tried verifying twice in a row and both times it said 1 file failed to verify. -.-

Last edited:
I tried turning off cloud syncing in Steam properties, starting Terraria and removing all cloud saves (characters and worlds)), closing Terraria, and then starting Terraria back up, and I can confirm that this seems to fix the issue.

Same issue here, after about 20-30 minutes it just closes with steam not responding afterwards? Is there any fix that's been confirmed by MOST people that work yet?

Back
Top Bottom