Terraria Stuttering on 75Hz

Zayo21

Terrarian
When I set my monitor to 75Hz every game looks smoother, but not terraria. It looks like its skipping random frames. I recorded my screen with my phone in 960fps and I can see that its skipping every third or fourth frame. If I set my monitor to 60hz game looks fine.FPS counter says I am running @ 75FPS. Frame skip in settings is disabled, also tried fullscreen and windowed, both are stuttering.

How do I fix it?

Make a profile for terraria.exe in either your graphics driver control panel or RivaTuner stats server and limit the framerate to 60.

This is a very old problem, that still has no real fixes.

To "unlock" the framerate in Terraria you have to go to Settings->Video and Disable "Frame Skip" (Frame Skip Off) Though this causes great amounts of other issues in the game.
Like massive slowdowns in fights with many particles/enemies (think of "Old ones Army") or flickering hover-effects (think of placing a statue for example) where it sometimes not even shows the placing item.

i WISH Frame Skip was better implemented, like - really just skipping frames that take too long to render. Instead it skips frames that take too long AND limits your framerate to 60 fps, which looks uncomfortably bad on my 144 Hz monitor. But i can't play with "Frame Skip Off" because then the whole games slows down so much in fights, as i already explained...

When I disable frame skip my FPS is 75, when I enable it its 60 and when I disable vsync in settings menu I get 300fps. But on every setting terraria looks terrible if my monitor is set to 75Hz. But when I set it ot 60Hz it works fine with disabled frame skip.

Is this a proper 75 Hz monitor, or did you manually overclock it? is it any different if you play the game in windowed or fullscreen mode?

I overclocked it and it looks fine in every single game except terraria so it's not a monitor problem. Tried fullscreen and windowed, both are stuttering.

I'm probably a little late and assumed you've fixed this, but to at least have the game running relatively smoothly try dropping your monitor refresh back down to 60hz. With this, try the same method of both fullscreen & borderless. I'm trying to bump mine up to match my 75hz monitor but not having any success. Even with my monitor at 75, I'm not running into any major issues with stuttering, I just can't get the game to actually go higher than 60. Yet.

Back
Top Bottom