Terraria Theory: Moon Lord is a hallucination?

Is this a good theory?

• Yeah, makes sense

• No, not really

• I think it's something else (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
And, we know that during the Black Death, Plague Doctors were apparently thought to treat people from the plague. So, basically, this guy, the Lunatic Cultist, is trying to cure you, but like other conquests, you just go ahead and kill him. Then, the Celestial Pillars appear, starting the Lunar Event.
Because doctors cure people with fire and dragons.

A leader always dresses different then his minions, thats base rule for pretty much any organisation.
And he does spam " How do u know" during his fight. fought him lots of time and aside from his death cry that something he says when he tries to summon doubles.
why do you have to be so negative

Yes ...obviously the Lunatic Cultist is trying to cure you...BY KILLING YOU THE FIRST TIME I tried to kill him, and being down to 20 HP all other times until getting lunar gear. Curing you, ya know, by the medical practice of phantasm dragons and creepy cultist symbols. Better tell Mayo Clinic 'bout that one. All in all, this is actually a good theory, and I like this post a lot. I can tell quite a bit of work was put into this.
But that's just a theory, a GAME THEORY.

Yes ...obviously the Lunatic Cultist is trying to cure you...BY KILLING YOU THE FIRST TIME I tried to kill him, and being down to 20 HP all other times until getting lunar gear. Curing you, ya know, by the medical practice of phantasm dragons and creepy cultist symbols. Better tell Mayo Clinic 'bout that one. All in all, this is actually a good theory, and I like this post a lot. I can tell quite a bit of work was put into this.
But that's just a theory, a GAME THEORY.
No.

why do you have to be so negative
Sorry, i was a little in a bad mood, and besides, i'm just saying how he was when i fought him, so its not that bad.
For the rest its a fun theory being delusional the entire game, but unless i'm high on some weed i don't see a good side for me in it ;)

I like the theory. May or may not be true, but it has possibilities of being true. I myself like it, and think it may be. :)

Yep, you heard it from the title. Is Moon Lord a hallucination?

I'm not saying it would change the whole Terraria Lore, but it might apply something. If you want to know what I see in this theory, follow the info:

So, you defeated Golem, and now you see Cultists at the Dungeon, worshiping some sort of sigil. Why? That's another story...

Mysterious_Tablet.png

After killing the Cultists, the Lunatic Cultist shows up, and now you have to kill him. But, it's quite odd for an appearance for him to have a beak-like mask, right? No, not odd at all. Infact, the design, looks kinda like a Plague Doctor.

Lunatic_Cultist.png

Lunatic Cultist

grev_medico1_w.jpg

Plague Doctor

And, we know that during the Black Death, Plague Doctors were apparently thought to treat people from the plague. So, basically, this guy, the Lunatic Cultist, is trying to cure you, but like other conquests, you just go ahead and kill him. Then, the Celestial Pillars appear, starting the Lunar Event.

After defeating each pillar, you're left with a message.

• First Tower destroyed: "Your mind goes numb..."
  • Second Tower destroyed: "You are overwhelmed with pain..."
  • Third Tower destroyed: "Otherworldly voices linger around you..."
  • Fourth Tower destroyed: "Impending doom approaches..."
They seem weird, right? Like, symptoms for a disease or virus. So maybe, you were infected with some sort of virus, possibly around after defeating the Lunatic Cultist.

After defeating the fourth pillar, the screen seems to shake, and turn a bit dark. Then the music starts fading away, and then... BAM! Moon Lord appears! Attack his hands, but beware of the Phantasmal True Eyes of Cthulh... Wait, Phantasmal? So, it's an illusion? Same goes with his attacks:
-Phantasmal Deathray
-Phantasmal Sphere
-Phantasmal Bolt

They're illusions, ghosts. I know it can hurt you, but, Phantasmal? So, that could mean that Moon Lord, might be a hallucination. How did it become one? A disease, possibly around when you defeat the Lunatic Cultist

So, they weren't summoning the Moon Lord, they might have been trying to hold back a disease

Now, I know what you'll say: Moon Lord drops loot. That's what I'm trying to decipher, but my best thought so far is that it might have been a reward for overcoming the plague. And they bring back memories as well, like the Star's Wrath, which is an OP Star Fury. And the S.D.M.G, similar to the Mini/Mega Shark, right? And that Moon Lord can kill your NPCs: It might sound silly, but maybe while thinking you're fighting Moon Lord, you might also could have killed your NPCs

So, that's my theory on Moon Lord. Feedback is welcome. Got any suggestions? List them below.

Stay crafty!

I'm not saying it would change the whole Terraria Lore, but it might apply something. If you want to know what I see in this theory, follow the info:

So, you defeated Golem, and now you see Cultists at the Dungeon, worshiping some sort of sigil. Why? That's another story...

Mysterious_Tablet.png

After killing the Cultists, the Lunatic Cultist shows up, and now you have to kill him. But, it's quite odd for an appearance for him to have a beak-like mask, right? No, not odd at all. Infact, the design, looks kinda like a Plague Doctor.

Lunatic_Cultist.png

Lunatic Cultist

grev_medico1_w.jpg

Plague Doctor

They seem weird, right? Like, symptoms for a disease or virus. So maybe, you were infected with some sort of virus, possibly around after defeating the Lunatic Cultist.

After defeating the fourth pillar, the screen seems to shake, and turn a bit dark. Then the music starts fading away, and then... BAM! Moon Lord appears! Attack his hands, but beware of the Phantasmal True Eyes of Cthulh... Wait, Phantasmal? So, it's an illusion? Same goes with his attacks:
-Phantasmal Deathray
-Phantasmal Sphere
-Phantasmal Bolt

They're illusions, ghosts. I know it can hurt you, but, Phantasmal? So, that could mean that Moon Lord, might be a hallucination. How did it become one? A disease, possibly around when you defeat the Lunatic Cultist

So, they weren't summoning the Moon Lord, they might have been trying to hold back a disease

Now, I know what you'll say: Moon Lord drops loot. That's what I'm trying to decipher, but my best thought so far is that it might have been a reward for overcoming the plague. And they bring back memories as well, like the Star's Wrath, which is an OP Star Fury. And the S.D.M.G, similar to the Mini/Mega Shark, right? And that Moon Lord can kill your NPCs: It might sound silly, but maybe while thinking you're fighting Moon Lord, you might also could have killed your NPCs

So, that's my theory on Moon Lord. Feedback is welcome. Got any suggestions? List them below.

Stay crafty!

Mysterious_Tablet.png

Lunatic_Cultist.png

Lunatic Cultist

grev_medico1_w.jpg

Plague Doctor

-Phantasmal Deathray
-Phantasmal Sphere
-Phantasmal Bolt

Stay crafty!
You know how in dreams, if a sound is made outside of the dream you can here it in the dream sometimes? I’m pretty sure it works the same with feelings obviously if you don’t wake up. So perhaps you are hallucinating everything that is happening but you feel the pain from getting hit because of the plague, however to you it looks like it’s the moon lord’s attacks.

I can't really nail-down anything definite about the Moon Lord or the Lunar Events just yet, because it's not a section of the game I've spent much time studying, but I can say that there are several popular references that made me think about, what's exactly happening in all-of-the-chaos. 🤔🥤

Here's the list of popular media/ story events that got my brain working:
  • The odd storyline of Bloodborne (especially Amygdala & the insight mechanic).
  • Avengers: Endgame (Avengers: Infinity War), especially when younger Thanos went back in time to fight the Heroes.
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Strange vs Dormammu scene.
  • In the Marvel Universe Movies, humans showing great strength, appeared to open the cosmic floodgates.

Next, I guess I'll list off a set of observations that I felt also, loosely relate to the Moon Lord & the possibility that something pretty major is happening, though it can also be easily missed in the chaos.
  • There are, or was a such thing as Solar Cultists, who did they worship?
  • Each pillar is obvious derived from a set of militarized alien races, but are they even from the same Solar System?
  • There also seems to be a theme around the day & night cycles of Terraria, Solar & Lunar Events. Is any of that related?
  • This also appears to be the case for a good number of items dropped from enemies & Bosses (Sun Stone, Moon Stone).
  • Why do the Lunatic Cultists only appear after a Sun-themed Boss is finally defeated? 🤔🥤
Overall, I don't suspect that the Moon Lord is an illusion, or that the battle is some kind of dream, or abstract concept. I just think that, your Character becomes powerful enough to have 'sight', or something similar, to where you can see things that you'd normally not be able to see. The only thing that continues to confuse me, is that the Moon Lord will pretty much stay put if the player leaves well-enough-alone. That's the only thing about all-of-this that doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe when you defeated WoF he put som desease in you, and after that you started to halucinate, and when you defeated lunatic coultist no one was tryng to coure you so the desease youst spread very fast.

Back
Top Bottom