Terraria: Too casual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's a first for me. Not heard anyone til now actually call music casual. I mean people sometimes casually listen to music, but that is something a bit different then defining it so. Very uncertain what casual music would be.

Music is music, a bunch of sounds to create a melody per say. Likeness is subjective. I like both games' music, although sometimes do listen to my own. Varies from mood to mood.%-_-

Terraria's music and minecraft's music are two entirely differnet entities, I like Terraria's music because its different plus I mean have you heard plantera's theme?

Also how in the HELL does music dictate how casual or hardcore a game is? That is what gameplay does, music is just there to flavor the game.

Blah blah blah, it's just music. Nobody needs to freak out about music already in a game. If any flame wars sprout from my reply, I'm ignoring them.

i really dont see how any of the music in terraria is casual. yes, the game has some calming music, such as the rain theme and night theme, but mostly the music is more leaned towards action and adventure, such as the solar eclipse theme and all the boss music. yes, the minecraft music really does give you a sense of loneliness (in a way) which can get you more into the game but with terraria your not really ''alone''. as explained a little before terraria is mainly focused on combat and progression were as minecraft is built mostly around exploration and survival. personally i cant really see how some music created by a piano would fit into terraria as of right now

Disrespectful posting: Attacking other members opinions in a negative manner is unwarranted and rude.
Well, that was insightful. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880312,1430880263][/DOUBLEPOST]
Blah blah blah, it's just music. Nobody needs to freak out about music already in a game. If any flame wars sprout from my reply, I'm ignoring them.
"its just music"
Clearly you don't understand music at all.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880363][/DOUBLEPOST]And let me just say I was NOT trying to compare T and MC, nor label Terraria as some mediocre game.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880411][/DOUBLEPOST]
that's a first for me. Not heard anyone til now actually call music casual. I mean people sometimes casually listen to music, but that is something a bit different then defining it so. Very uncertain what casual music would be.

Music is music, a bunch of sounds to create a melody per say. Likeness is subjective. I like both games' music, although sometimes do listen to my own. Varies from mood to mood.%-_-
Huh. I listen to music to feel deep emotion. Clearly there are different perspectives.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880459][/DOUBLEPOST]
You pretentious bastard. I bet Gone Home was your 2013 GOTY.

Aside from the music disk songs, which are actually pretty great, 90% of Minecraft's OST consists of ambient piano music that all sounds the same. Unless you're looking at a sunset or something, it literally NEVER enhances the mood, which is pretty much the whole point of video game music. As a general rule, you should not be getting all teary at how beautiful the world is when you're getting lost and going to drown any minute in a dark underwater ruin full of evil psychic pufferfish.
You disgust me.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880484][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can't take you seriously at all.
Then don't post.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880530][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, basically you're "noting" that Terraria's soundtrack is less meaningful than MC's

:sigh:

They don't have to be the same! Also, before making this thread, have you even listened TWICE of the music?!
More like 200 times. And once again, not trying to say one is better then the other.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880577][/DOUBLEPOST]
Assuming you're not trolling, you have a fundamental misunderstanding on what the word casual means. In which case, allow me to give you a quick explanation.
Ironically, you've got the whole ordeal up side down.
Minecraft's soundtrack is casual as it appears irregularly in the game, as opposed to Terraria's constant play.

That aside, Minecraft has that sort of soundtrack because the game is a lot more serene and peaceful than Terraria. Aside from day time and inside your own buildings, Terraria always has some form of action going on, it's an action adventure kind of game. Not to mention, it's a retro-type game too, so music playing constantly is pretty important in it.

Since minecraft doesn't have music constantly playing and is relatively a lot more peaceful compared to Terraria, this sort of music fits it.

It's really just basic game design choices, calmer music simply doesn't fit terraria at all.
Hm. Fascinating.

"its just music"
[DOUBLEPOST=1430880363][/DOUBLEPOST]And let me just say I was NOT trying to compare T and MC, nor label Terraria as some mediocre game.
Huh. I listen to music to feel deep emotion. Clearly there are different perspectives.
You disgust me.
Then don't post.
More like 200 times. And once again, not trying to say one is better then the other.
Hm. Fascinating.
It's good that you're responding to so many people, but you might want to put all of that in one post next time or use the edit button.

Terraria is not Minecraft. Different objectives with different ways to achieve the objective. Terraria's music has always been pixel-like because the game is pure pixels.

I like Terraria's music.

I can't really think of a single track that I dislike, and all the tracks fit their themes fairly well, from the very strange rainbowland theme to the creepy crimson theme, to the sand theme, to the dungeon music...

Well, ok.

The Underworld theme... I think could use a little tweaking; I wish they'd make a new underworld theme that sounded hotter instead of spooky (that spooky thing is OK for blood moons and meteorites, but the underworld it doesn't fit right).

"its just music"
You disgust me.
Then don't post.
Hm. Fascinating.

yes different perspective indeed. I just listen to music, and get emotions from it rather then listening to it to get emotional. So for me it is a by product of listening. I love hearing others' perspectives.:dryadhappy:

yes different perspective indeed. I just listen to music, and get emotions from it rather then listening to it to get emotional. So for me it is a by product of listening. I love hearing others' perspectives.:dryadhappy:

I've always felt that an awesome music track does two things:

1). It builds the atmosphere of the game you're playing. If done well, it enhances the visuals you see on-screen, and better... uh... immerses (I hate using that word but I can think of none other to use here) you in the gameplay.

2). It gives you something to listen to later while you're not playing the game. When you listen to it, you can remember the fond times you had in that game while said music was playing. You might remember that awesome keymold drop, or just gameplay fun in general when you listen to your favorite tracks from this (or any other game). I can put on NES tracks today and it takes me right back to my teenage years when I played those games, and the fun times I had back then.

Not all music is for everyone. Like many have said, the atmosphere created by minecrafts music does not come close to matching Terraria. I, personally do not care much for Minecrafts music, as it's a little slow and too ambient for my tastes. Terraria's music does not do it for me either. I do think you could use a better word than casual, though I think I understand what you mean. I do want better music in Terraria, but what we got is no where near bad, it's just not something I would listen to outside the game. Half the time I have the music muted.

tldr; I agree that the music should be different, but I don't think the word casual was correct. If you meant to sound offensive, or, as someone said, if you are being pretentious... Then you should use a different word either way!

"its just music"
You disgust me.
Then don't post.
Hm. Fascinating.
  1. Clearly you don't understand the meaning of opinions at all
  2. You directly said MC's soundtrack was more "hardcore" than Terraria's.
  3. And yet you respond to #1 so harshly for his perspective.
  4. He got a warning, let it be.
  5. Then acknowledge his opinion and question his motivations to try and get a greater understanding of his beliefs.
  6. Okay, so, if you have listened to it 200 times, certainly you can tell us why you think it is "casual"?
  7. Acknowledge his viewpoint and counter it rather than make a couple word response and then ignore it.
  8. You still haven't told us what your definition of casual is.

1. Clearly you don't understand the meaning of opinions at all
  2. You directly said MC's soundtrack was more "hardcore" than Terraria's.
  3. And yet you respond to #1 so harshly for his perspective.
  4. He got a warning, let it be.
  5. Then acknowledge his opinion and question his motivations to try and get a greater understanding of his beliefs.
  6. Okay, so, if you have listened to it 200 times, certainly you can tell us why you think it is "casual"?
  7. Acknowledge his viewpoint and counter it rather than make a couple word response and then ignore it.
  8. You still haven't told us what your definition of casual is.

IMO, usually when someone labels Music as "Casual", they're really talking about Metal. I know some gamers who need metal playing full-time while they're doing anything in a game, and they oftentimes say the in-game music is horrible, and you ask them what they're playing, it is almost always some metal band.

Not bashing metal here (though I will admit I've fondness for screamo whatsoever), but I'd find that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on building a house with someone like AV7x blasting in my ears....

This thread has moved to a point where it is discussing more about the OP, rather than the topic of Terraria music. Due to that, this thread will be locked, but may be reopened when/if the OP decides that he wants to continue discussing the actual topic at hand.

Thread Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom