Terraria: Too casual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

layman9

Brain of Cthulhu
Now, I LOVE Terraria's music. Its all very beep boop beepy, and fits a lot of parts very well. But... It lacks a certain meaningfulness, if you get my drift. Let me use Minecraft as an example, here are some of the most meaningful and emotional pieces:

Minecraft's soundtrack often sounds very blocky and casual for gaming, but... every so often that absolute genius C418 throws in something truly amazing that impacts you so much emotionally you're closed to tears. It suddenly stops being a video game, and becomes pure art. Sometimes while I'm mining around in Terraria, or crafting in my house while its raining, or just plain building up high... I could use that kind of ambient support. I wish TERRARIA had some of that art. I don't know, just my opinion, I would like to hear your own in the comments. (I highly recommend listening to every link I posted, if you have the time. It could help you understand my point better, and perhaps try playing some of them while your playing Terraria and see what you think)

Personal attacks against other members will not be tolerated.
Now, I LOVE Terraria's music. Its all very beep boop beepy, and fits a lot of parts very well. But... It lacks a certain meaningfulness, if you get my drift. Let me use Minecraft as an example, here are some of the most meaningful and emotional pieces:

(snip)

Minecraft's soundtrack often sounds very blocky and casual for gaming, but... every so often that absolute genius C418 throws in something truly amazing that impacts you so much emotionally you're closed to tears. It suddenly stops being a video game, and becomes pure art. Sometimes while I'm mining around in Terraria, or crafting in my house while its raining, or just plain building up high... I could use that kind of ambient support. I wish TERRARIA had some of that art. I don't know, just my opinion, I would like to hear your own in the comments. (I highly recommend listening to every link I posted, if you have the time. It could help you understand my point better, and perhaps try playing some of them while your playing Terraria and see what you think)

You pretentious bastard. I bet Gone Home was your 2013 GOTY.

Aside from the music disk songs, which are actually pretty great, 90% of Minecraft's OST consists of ambient piano music that all sounds the same. Unless you're looking at a sunset or something, it literally NEVER enhances the mood, which is pretty much the whole point of video game music. As a general rule, you should not be getting all teary at how beautiful the world is when you're getting lost and going to drown any minute in a dark underwater ruin full of evil psychic pufferfish.

I don't think you know what casual means... anyway, those songs are pretty good, but there isn't really any calm or emotional place for songs like that in Terraria. That's just not the tone for most of the game, the game is usually either upbeat and fun, ominous and spooky, or action-packed and fast-paced. Terraria has music to complement that mood, and a calm and emotional song wouldn't fit anywhere in the existing game.

So, basically you're "noting" that Terraria's soundtrack is less meaningful than MC's

:sigh:

They don't have to be the same! Also, before making this thread, have you even listened TWICE of the music?!

I always turn off all music before I play any game. I really like soundtrack music, and really dig Terraria's soundtrack, I just don't want to hear the same music repeated ad nauseam, nor do I want my immersion broken in immersive games by having a full orchestra following me around.

dat MC music is beautiful tho.

Assuming you're not trolling, you have a fundamental misunderstanding on what the word casual means. In which case, allow me to give you a quick explanation.
Ironically, you've got the whole ordeal up side down.
Minecraft's soundtrack is casual as it appears irregularly in the game, as opposed to Terraria's constant play.

That aside, Minecraft has that sort of soundtrack because the game is a lot more serene and peaceful than Terraria. Aside from day time and inside your own buildings, Terraria always has some form of action going on, it's an action adventure kind of game. Not to mention, it's a retro-type game too, so music playing constantly is pretty important in it.

Since minecraft doesn't have music constantly playing and is relatively a lot more peaceful compared to Terraria, this sort of music fits it.

It's really just basic game design choices, calmer music simply doesn't fit terraria at all.

Honestly, Terraria music is kinda bland...

i mean, sure, at the first five minutes it gets you the beat hype...

But then you realize that its an infinte loop...

and its kinda just bla..

I get what you are saying OP. MC music is very "sophisticated" and classical. You could say MC music is "smart". Terraria's music however, is much more intense, with electric guitars, drums, lots of sound effects etc (definitely not smart or classy), and you would like some music like MC's in terraria.

Terraria music needs to be "casual" because the relaxing piano music doesn't fit with the game at all. Even when you are building your first wooden shed, you are still fighting slimes. When you are up in the sky building or exploring an island, you are still fighting harpies.

Honestly, Terraria music is kinda bland...

i mean, sure, at the first five minutes it gets you the beat hype...

But then you realize that its an infinte loop...

and its kinda just bla..

Just like every piece of music that has ever been made.

You listen to it enough and you get bored of it/move on to another favourite. This process is accelerated when you loop the songs, which is what Terraria does.

I always turn off all music before I play any game. I really like soundtrack music, and really dig Terraria's soundtrack, I just don't want to hear the same music repeated ad nauseam, nor do I want my immersion broken in immersive games by having a full orchestra following me around.

dat MC music is beautiful tho.
I have to agree with you, I rarely ever play a game with music on, but when I do, that music is exceptional.

Personally I think any serene, mc-style music would feel a bit out of place, considering how dangerous the game ends up being most of the time. I do see what you mean tho.

Eh.

Minecraft music is kinda meh, just like the game itself (So I guess it does fit then).

The only music from it that I have ever liked is this one:

And it has also been removed... the ONE good music, removed. GG Minecraft, GG.

Other than that, Minecraft was one of those very few games were I actually turn the music off and play my own. I almost never do that to a game since I rather enjoy everything it has to offer...Minecraft did not, so yeah...

You're calling music "casual". How can music be casual? Did it stop playing at the Taurus Demon?
dis_gon_be_good.gif
Also, the Minecraft music is mediocre at best. The current music fits Terraria very well, and I sometimes even listen to it when doing other stuff.

Please define "casual" music if you want your thread to have any sliver of coherency, as right now it sounds like someone calling a flower a tractor and testing what that causes. Music is entirely subjective, and in my case, there's few games which don't make me mute their music and use an MP3 player instead for BGM - and neither of the games you mention are in the "few" list.

I'm not insulting the effort put into the soundtracks of most games, nor their creators - they may be good as far as music goes, but I prefer to choose what I listen to while I play games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom