WIP Terraria Trading Card Game

Will you be interested in a card game like that?

• Yes

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
This reminds me of something I tried to do a while ago, and I made these cards:
Wyvern.png Green Slime.png Recall Potion.png Angry Tumbler.png
(Just thumbnails, click to see full size)

Oh nice, if you want to leave your impressions or tell me if you like them or dont i will be happy, fresh comments are always nice ;)

I have an idea for special "item" cards
these cards would contain a few items from the game such as medusa's head which could stop another players turn. I'll think of other special item cards but that is all i have right now.

Also I was part of the old discord so Hi

Discord link doesnt work.
Hey, I like this! I've got some suggestions as an avid card game player, hope you don't mind. Feel free to ignore them though, won't hurt my feelings!

First thing I see is, I don't like the idea of requiring one specific card (hardmode) to enable most of certain decks. The options I would consider are: Add an easier way to draw into hardmode specifically, or a new condition. It doesn't follow the game perfectly, but maybe instead of having hardmode be a card, just make it something that happens when a boss monster dies? Alternatively, it could still be a card that goes into decks, but when a boss monster dies, you can search for it and add it to your hand? Also, maybe make it affect each player, so one doesn't get stuck in easy mode and completely demolished by the superior hardmode cards. Of course, this would make the opponent's hardmode a completely dead draw, so it isn't a perfect fix.

Secondly, and this is just me personally, I love tribal decks in MTG so I'd like to see lots of synergy between certain cards; more definitive archetypes. I like the slime theme you have going on, and I think the biome borders are a great idea! I know they'll be expanded on in the future, so I'll reserve judgement on that for now.

I'd also like to suggest some flavour text! Some wording on the cards could be improved as well, here's how I would word some:

Green slime

This unit has +1 attack point for each other friendly Slime unit.
Flavour text was good on this one!

Blue Slime

As long as you have 2 or more friendly Blue Slime units, this unit has +2 defence points.
This one is fine as well.
Side-note: I'm not sure if this would be too strong, but I would like the blue slime to require any slime to be stronger, not specifically another blue.

Pinky

Looked good to me, but the effect doesn't seem terribly fitting for a slime. I find it a huge pain to deal with unless it's alone, so maybe make it stronger for each slime you have active? I'm totally trying to push a theme here...
No changes here.

Zombie

Friendly Demon Eye units have +1 Defence point.
Blue Slimes are not the worst of your problems....
Side-note: I couldn't think of a good way to word it to mean exactly what you were going for, so I figured the easiest way was to spread the ability across both Zombies and Demon Eyes, as it needed both to function anyways. The current wording is a bit confusing, I'm not sure what would happen if you have multiple zombies. Depending how many zombies/demon eyes can be on board, this might get too out of control, so maybe a clause would have to be added that even If you have 2 zombies, the demon eyes would only have +1 defence.

Demon Eye

Friendly Zombie units have +1 Defence point.
If this unit receives a fatal blow, you can destroy a friendly Demon Eye unit instead.
The bloodshot eyes of a moonlit night.

Ice Slime

No changes here
When this pouncing blob shivers, it isn't from the cold.

Ice Bat

When this unit deals a fatal blow to an enemy unit, that unit's controller cannot use any new research cards during their next turn.
YOU try innovating with cold fingers!
Side-note: I worded this one under the assumption that 3+ player games are possible. If this isn't the case, I would replace 'that unit's controller' with 'your opponent'.

Wolf

Whenever an opponent activates a Condition Card while you are attacking, it will not take effect until your attack is done.
If you're cool with saying ':red:', then I have no problem with it

Corrupt Slime

When this unit receives a fatal blow, look at one card in an opponent's hand, chosen at random.
This flavour text is pretty fitting, I can't think of anything better
Side-note: Again with the multiplayer thing, if it's only gonna be 1v1, then replace 'an opponent's' with 'your opponent's'.

Eater of Souls

Whenever an enemy unit attacks this unit, it loses 1 attack point for the duration of the attack.
From the corrupted chasms rises a new apex predator...
Side-note: I am unclear as to whether this attack point drop is permanent or not, so I worded it as if it only applies for the one attack. If it's permanent, I would simply say 'it loses 1 attack point'.

Devourer

Whenever this unit inflicts a fatal blow to an enemy unit, that unit's controller discards a card from their hand.
Nothing can stand between a Devourer and it's prey.
Side-note: In the case of more than 2 players, change 'that unit's controller' to 'your opponent'.

Pixie

Whenever you inflict a fatal blow to an enemy unit, draw a card.
With the spirits of light released, a new plague seeks to corrupt the world. Not through blood or shadows, but with the power of rainbows.

Unicorn

Whenever this unit attacks an enemy Corruption unit, it is immediately destroyed.
Cute but deadly, like a charging hippo.
Side-note: An alternate wording could be 'Any attack directed at an enemy Corruption unit by this unit is considered a fatal blow'.

Antlion

Whenever this unit attacks an enemy unit, your opponent cannot activate Conditional cards for the duration of the attack'.
Many underestimate the Antlion for it's lack of mobility. Many lose their lives to a long-range blast of sand.
Side-note: Same deal here, it may need to be worded 'your opponents' or 'that unit's controller', whichever is intended.

Antlion Charger

If you control another Desert unit, this unit cannot be attacked.
A distracted foe will never keep up with an Antlion Charger's incredible speed.

Snatcher

Whenever this unit inflicts a fatal blow to an enemy unit, that unit's controller loses 1 Hearth Piece.
These plants have adapted a long stalk to reach into unsuspecting adventurer's tunnels and snap them up.

I could do more if you like, but that's probably plenty for now. Apologies for being such a nit-picker, but consistent wording is pretty important to keep rules clear!

This sounds like such a great idea and i really hope you will one day actually publish this. Have you thought of kickstarter to get your game off the ground. I own literally hundreds of board games and card games and i would love to play this one. Is there a way i could get a digital copy of the game to print and play myself, or even to view all the cards. Thanks!

This seems like an amazing idea, just wondering are you still working on this and WHERE CAN I BUY IT, I NEED IT NOW lol

This is a really cool idea, and the cards are really high quality! I do have one question. It says the Hardmode card's effect is permanent. Does this mean it is permanent for that round, or like, permanent permanent?

Well, after all of your replies i think maybe i gonna grab again that project and make it grow, you know, just for fun.
Maybe making a small app to play with it (i don't know if this is possibile to make due to copyright, i will see)
Just be patient since i have to first finish my soundtrack album and another game for Android, but i will return to work on that project again.
Thanks to all of you, i love how this post is still alive after all that time.

Well, after all of your replies i think maybe i gonna grab again that project and make it grow, you know, just for fun.
Maybe making a small app to play with it (i don't know if this is possibile to make due to copyright, i will see)
Just be patient since i have to first finish my soundtrack album and another game for Android, but i will return to work on that project again.
Thanks to all of you, i love how this post is still alive after all that time.
sweet, maybe you can add all the post plantera dungeon enemies.

Yeah the plan was to implement a card for everything, so also post plantera enemies.
I hope to return at work nearly at August/September.

This is a great idea and I hope it gets published. I'm a huge fan of terraria and found this cuz I wanted to make a terraria card game myself :). I'll buy this the day it comes out

Thanks, but i'm pretty sure this will never become a real game to be sold due to copyrights.
Btw i will continue to work on it for personal usage.

First time I've seen this before and I like it. I used to be a MTG player, back around 4th Edition give or take a few releases. This one does has some new twists to it that I'd say make it unlike what I've seen.

The pictures too are great in that you've almost entirely used all Terraria graphics for the cards pictures. Personally not a big fan on the font, and no, I don't have any recommendations. I am also surprised that the Developers haven't gone this route either, as they seem to have been growing their merchandising over the years. Collectible, tradeable, and playable cards games can make some money. Don't know how much other than MTG is on 298,000th edition. Must be working.

Looks good so far.

Thanks a lot @Banmei, i really appreciate your words.
As said, i will work on cards again starting from August/September and maybe i will make some changes to the layout (Maybe fonts also).

Well, i would be the 1st to buy a Terraria Trading Card Game, but unless something happen, this will only remain a dream :D

I like the hard mode condition card but in a 60 or even 40 card deck it might be hard to draw so what if you had an event card the guide voodoo doll which allows you to search for the hard mode card to increase those chances a bit.

Yeah, my plan is to add some event cards that allow the player to search for a specific card in the deck or to search for any card he want.
This will balance the odds to pick the Hardmode Card.

So I was looking at the cards and realized that if you have 2 antlion chargers you're invincible. So it should probably be if you have desert cards other than antlion chargers this can't be attacked

Back
Top Bottom