PC Terraria version 1.3.5.3 deleting character

txsizzler

Terrarian
Hello, to preface, I have been playing Terraria for several years now, and have recently come across this issue. This started back with version 1.3.4. I had accidentally "favorited" one of my characters, and then Terraria systematically started deleting ALL of my saves, and removing them to the recycle bin. I would move them from the Recycle Bin back to the Player folder, just to have them deleted again. Thinking this was a problem with my PC, I completely wiped and formatted my machine, put a fresh Windows 10 OS on the machine, and downloaded this newest version of Terraria, version 1.3.5.3 from GOG.

Last night, when playing local online multiplayer, everything was fine, character was saved normally, went to bed, and this morning found that Terraria has yes, once again, DELETED my character from the Player folder, and moved the .bak and achievements.dat files to the Recycle Bin. Nothing was favorited on my newest Terraria game. Whenever I try to move them back to the Player folder, Terraria automatically moves them back to the Recycle Bin. No mods are being used, just plain vanilla Terraria.

My system stats:
--------------------
I7-920 CPU
Radeon 6950 2gb video card (latest drivers)
1 TB hard drive
Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)

Please advise. I really would like to be able to play this game again, but this is very frustrating, and to be honest, not sure why this is still happening. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I'm quite certain that Terraria is not doing this.

Please use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location of the installation of Terraria, take a screenshot, and post it here.

I'm quite certain that Terraria is not doing this.

Please use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location of the installation of Terraria, take a screenshot, and post it here.

txsizzler-216496-albums-7548-pic140030-terrarialocation.jpg

Please upload your Character files here, perhaps they are corrupted, this is the only reason they would be moved. If not, then perhaps this will help the developers. Personally, sounds like a Windows 10 issue.

This is the plr file, the Jacob.plr.plr file was originally named Jacob.plr.bak (was the only way I could upload it on here was to change the name for this post).

Attachments

• Jacob.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Jacob.plr.plr
    2.2 KB · Views: 160
This is the plr file, the Jacob.plr.plr file was originally named Jacob.plr.bak (was the only way I could upload it on here was to change the name for this post).

Yes, they are corrupted. I cannot load them at all. That is why they are being deleted.

I wonder why they are getting corrupted. Is this an issue with Windows 10, or perhaps its my hard drive failing?

I wonder why they are getting corrupted. Is this an issue with Windows 10, or perhaps its my hard drive failing?

There are too many ways to corrupt save data, that being two of them, it also can be closing Terraria improperly, using mods, cheats, tools, hacks. etc

Whatever the case, it is suggested you close Terraria using interface only.

Interestingly, Terraria is the only game I have ever had problems with, out of all the games I own. Whether its with the backwards multiplayer (local) support, or the dismal saving system (god forbid you Favorite a character... dunno why they have this bug-ridden abomination option anyhow). As many patches and updates that have been released, this is really unacceptable.

Thanks Marcus for your help. I appreciate you trying to diagnose the issue I am having.

Interestingly, Terraria is the only game I have ever had problems with, out of all the games I own. Whether its with the backwards multiplayer (local) support, or the dismal saving system (god forbid you Favorite a character... dunno why they have this bug-ridden abomination option anyhow). As many patches and updates that have been released, this is really unacceptable.

Thanks Marcus for your help. I appreciate you trying to diagnose the issue I am having.

In all personal experience, its Microsoft & .NEt Framework, its the worst engine/codebase i have every seen, and just isn't a game engine its a mod engine like GTA5 does. But, not much can be done, its now part of Terraria. I have had experiences too, but they all are .NET

For what it's worth - I get the same behavior with these character files on both Win10/GOG and on Win7/Steam. So, it doesn't seem to be specific to the OS version or the game source.

I only had issues on Windows 7 Terraria, when I did the "favorite" of one of my characters, and it deleted that character. This was a known issue apparently, and was confirmed by the devs, as I recall (not sure if it was ever fixed, though). All the rest of the issues have happened with Windows 10. This latest time was with using local multiplayer.

The moving of the corrupted backup file to the recycle bin on both Win7 and Win10 is what I'm seeing, using your files.

I'm not seeing the actual data corruption of player files happening on either OS, on my systems.

Perhaps it's somehow related to the multiplayer server mode? I am just shooting from the hip here, but maybe it is somehow corrupting the player file based on a map from the server its being played on (that is on the other machine that the computer in question is connecting with)?

Hey, it started happening on Manjaro Linux to me. After hours and hours of playing with single character on self hosted servers only (LAN). Always happens when I'm in main menu and jump out of the game to check wiki or something. When I switch the game back on, I'm in the "lobby" where you're supposed to select a character but they're gone. When I check the .plr files on filesystem, all gone. Backups, the folder, plr file, everything. And on Linux it doesn't go to any bin or trash, so I had to "cheat" in a new character with the same equipment as I used to have. But happened the same with this one as well.

P.S. I made the initial character "favourite" but not the second one.

Back
Top Bottom