PC Terraria will not start, tried everything.

danik2b

Terrarian
Hi All,

My terraria will not boot. I remember having it installed at one point and playing fine. fast forward 1 year when I decide I want to play it and I get a Microsoft.xna.framework.dll error and that the program isn't a valid win32 app(when running the terrariaServer), the steam startup says "running" then "syncing" and does nothing.

I've tried everything from re-installing, checking steam integrity of the game, re-installing XNA redis and rebooting, swapping sysWOW64 and System32 dll's as posted from around the internet.
I have the latest .NET installed as well and still nothing.
I've also tried installing it on C: instead of D: and it yields the same issue.

I've managed to install terraria on a new VM with a fresh install of Windows 10 and it worked fine, so I've either uninstalled something or my system suddenly got rid of a DLL(impossible).

I've also tried logging the error by adding -logerrors -logfile to my startup params, but the logs aren't showing in my documents.

My PC specs are as follows:

i5 4460
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64bit(windows is up to date)

Please help as I don't want to re-install windows :/

Ijmvgxn.png

BadImageFormatExceptions means that the system called and expected a 32 bit file but instead got a 64 bit file and vice versa. It tells us that the dll reporting the discrepancy is Microsoft.XNA.Framework.dll so now we have to isolate which dependency of that DLL is causing the error to be thrown.

The dependencies for that dll are as follows:

If those solutions do not help, then try this:

Correct the Assembly's for .Net and XNA: It's possible it isn't an issue with your KernelBase at all, but rather, one of the core assembly's necessary for .Net and XNA got corrupted or changed. To fix this perform the following:

• Uninstall ALL versions of .Net everything needs to be gone.
  • Uninstall ANY AND ALL versions of XNA framework.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET.
  • Rename the "assembly" folder to "assemblybackup".
  • Install .Net 4.7.2. (This will take awhile since we soft removed the assembly folder. Do not be alarmed and be patient.)
  • Install XNA Framework 4.0.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows.
  • Right click the Microsoft.Net folder and select properties.
  • Click on the "Security" tab.
  • Click "Advanced".
  • Click on the "Owner" tab.
  • Click "Edit".
  • Click on your user account for the PC you are using.
  • Click the checkbox that says "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects".
  • Try to launch the game again.

BadImageFormatExceptions means that the system called and expected a 32 bit file but instead got a 64 bit file and vice versa. It tells us that the dll reporting the discrepancy is Microsoft.XNA.Framework.dll so now we have to isolate which dependency of that DLL is causing the error to be thrown.

The dependencies for that dll are as follows:

If those solutions do not help, then try this:

Correct the Assembly's for .Net and XNA: It's possible it isn't an issue with your KernelBase at all, but rather, one of the core assembly's necessary for .Net and XNA got corrupted or changed. To fix this perform the following:

• Uninstall ALL versions of .Net everything needs to be gone.
  • Uninstall ANY AND ALL versions of XNA framework.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET.
  • Rename the "assembly" folder to "assemblybackup".
  • Install .Net 4.7.2. (This will take awhile since we soft removed the assembly folder. Do not be alarmed and be patient.)
  • Install XNA Framework 4.0.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows.
  • Right click the Microsoft.Net folder and select properties.
  • Click on the "Security" tab.
  • Click "Advanced".
  • Click on the "Owner" tab.
  • Click "Edit".
  • Click on your user account for the PC you are using.
  • Click the checkbox that says "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects".
  • Try to launch the game again.

Hi, Thanks for the swift reply.

I've uninstalled all redist files for C++ as I had some 2013 and 2017 versions installed for development.
I've also re-installed the 2010/12 versions.
DirectX dll's were deleted and re-installed.
.NET cannot be uninstalled completely as It's a package that comes with windows 10.

I ran the sfc /scannow command yesterday but I'm running it again just to make sure.

and voila, made no difference :/ still yields the same results. Any other ideas?

Did you attempt to create a new Administrator account on the machine, then log in as that user to see if Terraria can be launched from that account? Show below:

Create a new user profile as an Administrator: In the event your user profile has been corrupted and is contributing to the problem you can create a new user profile as an administrator and see if your game launches. If it does you'll want to then transfer all your data and installs to the new user profile and delete the old one.

How to create a new User Profile

5R98utW.png

Then launch Terraria after signing into the new account, if successful perform the steps below. If unsuccessful you may remove the account from the machine.

How to transfer all data and settings to the new User Profile

TsFzZK7.png

Good Morning, Yes I just created a new account with the same issue.
The game will not start, and the server has the same error.

zv70SRr.png

I suspect the issue is with a component of Windows specifically with .Net what's absolutely infuriating is if this was Windows 7 I could easily give you a tutorial on how to completely replace .Net and it's assemblies to get it to work. Unfortunately, because this is Windows 10, if something goes catastrophically wrong with .Net the only recourse is to do a System Restore the point in time in which it worked or reinstall Windows because .Net is hard baked into the OS. Attempts to manually remove and replace it leads to further corruption of system files. I wish there was better news, but I just spent 8 hours looking and researching for possible solutions and alternatives for both you and another user who may be suffering from a .Net failure, I came back with zilch.

The way Microsoft suggests to repair .Net doesn't do anything other than disable the files, so when you turn .Net back on any file corruption to .Net is still there. We can try Microsoft's way but I don't believe it will work. It's starting to look like you may need to reinstall Windows should all this fail.

How to Repair .Net Framework in Windows 10/8

Windows 10 and Windows 8 makes it a bit harder and non-intuitive to repair the .Net Framework for Windows 10 because it's baked directly into the OS. So I'll go over the necessary instruction on how to repair it, to do so I'll be borrowing an online tutorial from the Intuit KB don't renable .Net untill later in my guide:

1eyEJ0i.png

Hi, Unfortunately that didn't work either. I guess I'll have to re-install windows(again) at some point in the near future.

I have one more idea, but first, I need to know the build of your windows.

Press windows+r then type winver and hit enter. Screenshot that window and upload it here.

Hello im having a problem, i have terraria for the ps4 and i just bought it off steam today for my new pc. I have this problem where i can not start the game and i really need help my disc is /Remedy #3095\ please contact me so i can send you the problems

I seem to have trouble adding you on discord, why don't we take this into a PM and I'll help you there.

Okay, because you're on version 1803 it's possible to update to 1809 and have a chance at having your files repaired/reacquired. This hasn't worked for everybody, but it has worked for some people.

First create a System Restore point, bad updates is how these types of issues happen in the first place so creating a System Restore will allow us to roll back in the event Microsoft pulls a Microsoft. If you need help deciphering that guide let me know and I'll simplify it for you.

After we create a Restore point you can go to the Windows Update Center and update to the latest version. Then try Terraria again.

Hi,

System restore has been done, I'm downloading and installing the update now.
Will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks again!

Hi there,

Still the same situation, provides the same error message.

Not sure what else to do unfortunately.

Alright I got one more trick up my sleeve.

I'm giving you all the DLL's that may be the source of the problem, I can't give you any of the System DLL's since they are protected and you wouldn't be able to replace them anyway. We're going to manually replace each and every one that we can though. Read carefully and do not get any of these mixed up, your hexcode for the file path for the framwork dll may be different, browse to the folders through the file explorer, it will be the only subfolder. Do not paste any file paths. Yes the 32 bit files go in SysWow64 and the 64 bit files go in System32. No, I did not get them mixed up. Yes it's weird, long story on why that is.

If this last ditch effort fails you will need to reinstall your OS, as the would be the only way to repair it.

Microsoft.XNA.Framework.dll goes in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

If it doesn't work, first double check to make sure you put the proper versions in their proper places. Watch those P's and R's and the 32's and 64's.

Link to DLL Files.

Alrighty, the game is now working.

I only replaced the 32bit dlls and the XNA DLL as I couldn't replace the 64bit ones in System32. it was denying me because of the permissions.
I went to restart my pc(update and restart) and once restarting it now works(maybe it forgot to finish installing updates).

Now I'm not entirely sure whether it was the update that solved it or one or some of the 32bit dll's were corrupted or Even the XNA dll was corrupted.

Either way, if anyone else runs into this issue, try updating your windows to the latest and installing the 32bit dlls and the XNA dll. It should fix this issue.

Thanks @Grumpy Squid for helping, what an absolute legend you are.

I have the same problem with netframework but nothing did work, I did just jump the part of disabling the nfw and enabling again after restarting. I did play terraria on this pc but now I downloaded it again and just wont open.

This problem literally drove me nuts, 4 days trying to fix this problem. Ended up reinstalling windows and it worked, well never again I'm updating this f up OS

Back
Top Bottom