PC Terraria will not work in Win 10

MadMaudlin

Terrarian
I have both the GOG and Steam versions of Terraria and neither will work. I have tried every fix I've found.

I've repaired my XNA Framework
Win 8 Compatibility mode
Updated .NET to the most recent version
My computer came with Win 10 installed

My specs are
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Computer is a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series.

The program will still not actually load, it appears in the Task Manager as running but will not actually run.

Many things don't work or don't work properly in Windows 10. I'd suggest downgrading but if you're set on 10 I'm sure someone has a fix/answer.

Its a bad installation of XNA/.NET and windows isn't reporting it properly for the game to run, windows 10 will do that. If you upgraded from another version then you cannot fix it really, you have to re-install windows 10 clean.

Its a bad installation of XNA/.NET and windows isn't reporting it properly for the game to run, windows 10 will do that. If you upgraded from another version then you cannot fix it really, you have to re-install windows 10 clean.
Comp started as a Win 10 comp. There was no upgrading.

And I did repair/update XNA and .NET

Follow this:

Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.

Follow this:

Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
It just randomly started working, no idea what fixed it. But I'd redownloaded it to try that and it put an actual shortcut instead of the nonfunctioning globe one and when I clicked it the game ran.

If you launch Terraria and no config files are created in my documents / terraria check that your anti virus is not blocking it. Bitdefender will consider the my docs folder secure and prevent apps from altering its content by default.

Back
Top Bottom