Terraria won't launch, no error message

I found my fix by reinstalling a hidden dll file outside terraria. It was HELL to do.

What I think caused the dll to corrupt was the mod browser in game. I could be wrong, so I mod at my own risk, as my siggy says.

When installing mods, try installing it manually.

I think you should probably create a new thread for this.

I just want to say that I know this is almost a year after this page wass made but this linked helped, as soon as i downloaded it my Terraria started to work. Thank you so much
[doublepost=1501040802,1501040760][/doublepost]
I fount a fix! i had this problem for about a year or so and i even wrote with re-logic's support people... all i had to do was download microsoft silverlight
and framework Xna u can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=20914
Sorry this was the right link

I found my fix by reinstalling a hidden dll file outside terraria. It was HELL to do.

What I think caused the dll to corrupt was the mod browser in game. I could be wrong, so I mod at my own risk, as my siggy says.

What was it?

What's the name of the dll?

I have the same Exact problem but Im on a Mac... Anyone know how to fix this? All I did was download TModLoader and put in my Terraria files... Then I tried removing them.... still won't load......

Terraria works now... All I had to do was backup my Terraria Data... and uninstall Terraria. Works for me... might work for Mac users. Hope it helps. :)

Edit: After you uninstall... Re-Install and load. Your data should sync back into the game... It worked for me... I hope it works for you. If it doesn't, then I don't know... :\

alright so it all started when i tried playing with my friend on terraria; i realized that when I tried to make a new character or world, my game would crash, so I tried fixing it. i guess i ended up breaking it because my game started to just stop loading entirely, and now i'm just really confused.

alright so it all started when i tried playing with my friend on terraria; i realized that when I tried to make a new character or world, my game would crash, so I tried fixing it. i guess i ended up breaking it because my game started to just stop loading entirely, and now i'm just really confused.

I believe I know what's wrong, but I want to verify first. Could you screenshot the error message for me?

I downloaded the installer but it won't install. It says, "Error reading from file C:\Users\---\Desktop\xnafx40_redist.msi. Verify that the file exists and you can access it."
I'm so sorry I can't help you out with this one, hope you figured it out, but it took me a week or so of constant searching before I found out that what happened was it would create a temporary folder deep in a weird spot on any connected drive, you could find the filepath through some convoluted searching, if I remember correctly it was off of a webpage that would open when I ran the installer, with the path in text on the page. After following that you can copy the folder with the redist.msi, paste it somewhere permanent and select the redist when you run the installer again. That's how I solved it, there where no forum posts on the direct order taken to fix it, so I should have written it down. That's just the end of how I fixed it that I remember, though, so I hope it helped you out.

I'm on a Skylake NUC6i5SYH running Win 10 Home x64 (v1903)

After discovering this gem, i bought Terraria recently on GOG, and then was surprised I couldn't launch it
(no error msg whatever; it just didn't start at all).

Digging around articles and threads i found these suggested solutions, without success:
  • Repair/re-install Microsoft.NET Framework: did it
  • Verify that .NET 4.5 (i have 4.8) is enabled: Press Win+R > Type “optionalfeatures.exe”+Enter > enable all .NET 2/3/4 related items: did it
  • Verify cache files: i don't know, where those are located
  • Re-install Terraria: within GOG Galaxy 2.0 beta i did: Manage installation > Verify / Repair
  • Run as administrator: didn't try it, however all my game files are on a separate location as the system; there are no accessibility restrictions
  • Uninstall anti-virus: in Avast you can switch it off for 10 min w/o uninstalling - i did it
  • Deactivating Windows Defender - it might block Terraria's window w/o warning You: i didn't try
  • Running in compatibility mode: in Terraria folder right click on Terraria.exe > Properties > Compatibility tab > compatibility mode: i switched to Win 7 then Win 8

None of the above helped me :(

Then I found a comment of XPixeLLoveRX from Nov.2016 suggesting to download and (re)install Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 (direct download link)

This solved the problem for me (also), and Terraria is finally running! :)

In my case, there's no need to additionally disable the anti-virus or run in compatibility mode or with admin privileges etc.

If you have no luck with XNA (re)install, you may get lucky with one of the above tips/solutions, though.

Hi there! Before I get into specifics, I just wanted to say that any attempt at help, successful or not, is much appreciated.

I've been struggling with this issue for a long time. This did not start with the 1.3 update. I'm aware that many users have posted on the forums with similar issues, but none of them include much detail, and none of the posed solutions have worked for me. I'll try to provide as much detail as I possibly can to aid any kind soul that attempts to help.

System Specs:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel i5-4690K
8 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 970
I have a 256 GB SSD as my C drive, which is home to my Windows install as well as some games. Windows is fully up to date with all mandatory and optional updates installed. My D drive is a 1 TB hard drive, and it contains my Terraria install.

I have the Steam version of Terraria, fully updated. The game has failed to run when launched through Steam. I click "Play" and my Steam portrait in the lower right corner changes from a blue border to a green one. I've seen it stay that way anywhere from two to roughly ten seconds. While the portrait is green and showing me as playing Terraria, there is no trace outside of Steam that would indicate that to be true. It doesn't appear in task manager, it doesn't appear on my task bar, it doesn't briefly open a window and close, nothing. One key difference between the issue that I'm having and most of the other similar issues I've seen posted is that there is no message or error whatsoever, with the exception of "Preparing to launch Terraria" for a brief moment after clicking play, immediately followed by User Account Control asking if I want to allow the program to run.

Solutions I've Tried:

I've tried turning off Windows Defender. It is the only anti-virus program on my computer besides the free version of Malware Bytes which lacks any real-time protection and intervention.

I've tried running the game directly from the Terraria folder using the executable (D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe), both as an administrator and not. The only difference is that when running the executable, Steam does not change from the blue portrait and "Online" state.

I've tried verifying the integrity of the game cache through Steam. Like everybody else, a single file was not found and was reacquired.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Terraria.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA framework, trying both the file included in the Terraria folder (xnafx40_redist.msi) as well as the version directly from Microsoft's website. I tried both uninstalling from "Programs and Features" and by using the uninstall button in both the Microsoft and Terraria sourced files.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file from Microsoft's website. It successfully completed, but the game still wouldn't run.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file in the Terraria folder, but it did not finish. The error was "The specified account already exists."

I've tried reinstalling .Net Framework using each of the two files in the Terraria folder. After running dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, "An unspecified error occurred."
After running dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe, two errors in one window popped up. One was about an installation not being necessary because .Net is a part of the operating system. The other said there was an equal or greater version installed. The same thing happened using the same version, 4.0, from Microsoft. I downloaded version 4.5.2 from MS's website and ran it successfully. It went through the installation process and said it was successful. It doesn't appear in Programs and Features though. I'm not sure if it actually did anything.

I've tried following these instructions:
This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

I ran TerrariaServer.exe and it produced this error and "Terraria has stopped working".

Thanks for reading all that. Please post anything that has some chance of being helpful. This has been very frustrating, as I want to play this awesome game. Thank you!
i had the same issue on 1.4 just now

Hi there! Before I get into specifics, I just wanted to say that any attempt at help, successful or not, is much appreciated.

I've been struggling with this issue for a long time. This did not start with the 1.3 update. I'm aware that many users have posted on the forums with similar issues, but none of them include much detail, and none of the posed solutions have worked for me. I'll try to provide as much detail as I possibly can to aid any kind soul that attempts to help.

System Specs:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel i5-4690K
8 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 970
I have a 256 GB SSD as my C drive, which is home to my Windows install as well as some games. Windows is fully up to date with all mandatory and optional updates installed. My D drive is a 1 TB hard drive, and it contains my Terraria install.

I have the Steam version of Terraria, fully updated. The game has failed to run when launched through Steam. I click "Play" and my Steam portrait in the lower right corner changes from a blue border to a green one. I've seen it stay that way anywhere from two to roughly ten seconds. While the portrait is green and showing me as playing Terraria, there is no trace outside of Steam that would indicate that to be true. It doesn't appear in task manager, it doesn't appear on my task bar, it doesn't briefly open a window and close, nothing. One key difference between the issue that I'm having and most of the other similar issues I've seen posted is that there is no message or error whatsoever, with the exception of "Preparing to launch Terraria" for a brief moment after clicking play, immediately followed by User Account Control asking if I want to allow the program to run.

Solutions I've Tried:

I've tried turning off Windows Defender. It is the only anti-virus program on my computer besides the free version of Malware Bytes which lacks any real-time protection and intervention.

I've tried running the game directly from the Terraria folder using the executable (D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Terraria\Terraria.exe), both as an administrator and not. The only difference is that when running the executable, Steam does not change from the blue portrait and "Online" state.

I've tried verifying the integrity of the game cache through Steam. Like everybody else, a single file was not found and was reacquired.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Terraria.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA framework, trying both the file included in the Terraria folder (xnafx40_redist.msi) as well as the version directly from Microsoft's website. I tried both uninstalling from "Programs and Features" and by using the uninstall button in both the Microsoft and Terraria sourced files.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file from Microsoft's website. It successfully completed, but the game still wouldn't run.

I've tried repairing the XNA install using the file in the Terraria folder, but it did not finish. The error was "The specified account already exists."

I've tried reinstalling .Net Framework using each of the two files in the Terraria folder. After running dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, "An unspecified error occurred."
After running dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe, two errors in one window popped up. One was about an installation not being necessary because .Net is a part of the operating system. The other said there was an equal or greater version installed. The same thing happened using the same version, 4.0, from Microsoft. I downloaded version 4.5.2 from MS's website and ran it successfully. It went through the installation process and said it was successful. It doesn't appear in Programs and Features though. I'm not sure if it actually did anything.

I've tried following these instructions:
This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

I ran TerrariaServer.exe and it produced this error and "Terraria has stopped working".

Thanks for reading all that. Please post anything that has some chance of being helpful. This has been very frustrating, as I want to play this awesome game. Thank you!
My fix to the game not loading bug is allowing it through the firewall, as by default mine was not enabled on the firewall, two games/programs come under the name and logo of terraria, but the one without any firewall access on private or public networks is the one that presumably prevents the game from actually starting when disabled. Enabling it firewall access fixed it not booting

The download that has been so helpful to others on this thread isn't appearing for me. I get Error 404. The game itself loads for a moment- I get the Re-Logic screen, but it's dim and that's it. Stays dark for a few minutes, then shuts down.

Back
Top Bottom