Terraria wont start [Win 10]

kqubek

Terrarian
Hey, i just downloaded terraria but it's not even showing up in task manager. It show's up on steam for about 4 seconds and dissapears. It was working fine about 6 month's ago.
Redownloaded XNA, tried every method.

Unhandled Exception: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)

I have the exact same error and I too have tried every method I know, I searched on the internet about it, did many research but I still cant launch Terraria :(

Ps: soz necropost

I can't replace 32 Bit D3D8THK.dll, 32 Bit D3D9.dll, 64 Bit D3D8THK.dll, 64 Bit D3D9.dll and 64 Bit MSVCRT.dll into their places. It says that I need permission which I already have.

PS. still doesn't work :(
[doublepost=1548337884,1548337574][/doublepost]Oh no, wait I misread it. It says Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll, not Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll

The solution for that is similar see below:

I'm giving you all the DLL's that may be the source of the problem, I can't give you any of the System DLL's since they are protected and you wouldn't be able to replace them anyway. We're going to manually replace each and every one that we can though. Read carefully and do not get any of these mixed up, your hexcode for the file path for the framwork dll may be different, browse to the folders through the file explorer, it will be the only subfolder. Do not paste any file paths. Yes the 32 bit files go in SysWow64 and the 64 bit files go in System32. No, I did not get them mixed up. Yes it's weird, long story on why that is.

Microsoft.XNA.Framework.dll goes in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

32 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCR100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit MSVCP100.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

32 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

64 Bit X3DAudio_7.dll goes in C:\Windows\System32

If it doesn't work, first double check to make sure you put the proper versions in their proper places. Watch those P's and R's and the 32's and 64's.

Link to DLL Files.

If you can't replace files because of permissions make sure your account type is an administrator. Are you on Windows 10 or Windows 7?

The solution for that is similar see below:

If you can't replace files because of permissions make sure your account type is an administrator. Are you on Windows 10 or Windows 7?
I placed them all, nothing. Double checked, nothing. Win10

Last edited:
I placed them all, nothing. Double checked, nothing. Win10

Could you take a screenshot of the message that appears when launching the TerrariaServer.exe file located in your install directory? The message should appear in the black command box. Then upload it somewhere I can view it.

Could you take a screenshot of the message that appears when launching the TerrariaServer.exe file located in your install directory? The message should appear in the black command box. Then upload it somewhere I can view it.
Strange thing, server works completely normally, but game still dosen't launch
Before changing files it said the same thing it said to boopy

So perhaps there is a compound issue, we solved the first issue so now let's solve the second.

Could you enable logging for me? Lets see what the game is reporting. After enabling logging try launching the game again and when it fails go and find the log to copy and paste.

0eiPNMV.png

So perhaps there is a compound issue, we solved the first issue so now let's solve the second.

Could you enable logging for me? Lets see what the game is reporting. After enabling logging try launching the game again and when it fails go and find the log to copy and paste.

0eiPNMV.png
Sorry, i can't enable logs since i got my money from terarria back because of the issue. Unisg crack now. I can't buy it anytime soon, maybe in month or later.

0eiPNMV.png
nvm just bought it, logs are saying

Error Logging Enabled.
================
3/3/2019 9:54:11 PM: First-Chance Exception
Culture: en-US
Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameClock' from assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor()
at Terraria.Main..ctor()
================

================
3/3/2019 9:54:11 PM: Unhandled Exception
Culture: en-US
Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameClock' from assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553'.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game..ctor()
at Terraria.Main..ctor()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
================

Sorry to inconvenience you, but, because you mentioned you had pirated but then just bought it. I'm going to need to verify some kind of proof of purchase before I continue to assist you in this matter. If using steam was the only way to obtain those logs then I wouldn't bother. Unfortunately, there are ways to get the logs without having bought the game.

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to link your Steam Account to the forums which is one way I can make sure that the rest of this troubleshooting is all above board.

Sorry to inconvenience you, but, because you mentioned you had pirated but then just bought it. I'm going to need to verify some kind of proof of purchase before I continue to assist you in this matter. If using steam was the only way to obtain those logs then I wouldn't bother. Unfortunately, there are ways to get the logs without having bought the game.

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to link your Steam Account to the forums which is one way I can make sure that the rest of this troubleshooting is all above board.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198373698350/ my steam profile

Alright let's try this, browse to: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32" and delete the following folders:

• Microsoft.Xna.Framework
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact
Once you have delete these folders attempt to reinstall Microsoft XNA again. The reason we're doing this is because uninstalling XNA won't touch these folders, so in the event of data corruption we are going to manually remove them and replace them.

Alright let's try this, browse to: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32" and delete the following folders:

• Microsoft.Xna.Framework
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
  • Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact
Once you have delete these folders attempt to reinstall Microsoft XNA again. The reason we're doing this is because uninstalling XNA won't touch these folders, so in the event of data corruption we are going to manually remove them and replace them.
Thanks... This issue was for almost a year, finally i can play!

Hi Grumpy Squid,

I know this is an old thread, but I've recently developed the same problem where Terraria launches to a black screen, then exits back to Steam. I've seen the different ways you have helped others in this thread, and I've tried them all - nothing has worked. I'm wondering if you might have a few spare moments to turn your expertise my way? i would greatly appreciate it. This is the error I've been encountering:

1607920417899.png

Thank you!

-Travis

Back
Top Bottom