Terraria won't stop using integrated graphics card.

Sandalius

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
[Solved]

For a couple of weeks now I have been having severe issues with lag in the menus, singleplayer, and multiplayer.

After looking around for the problem I found that Terraria is not using my graphics card but is instead maxing out my integrated graphics card. I have already told Terraria to use my graphics card in the Windows 10 graphics settings and in the Nvidia control panel. I have reinstalled the game multiple times both on my SSD and my HDD. I have verified the integrity of my game files multiple time. I have restarted my computer multiple times. I have updated and reinstalled my Nvidia drivers. I have disabled terraria's ability to use Core 0 of my CPU (a solution I found in a Steam post). I have changed every graphics setting (Frame skip off, parallax 0%, retro lighting, etc.)

Nothing I do seems to change the fact that terraria is ignoring all my settings!

Any suggestions?

Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB GDDR5)
STORAGE: 128GB SSD (KBG30ZMS128G NVMe TOSHIBA 128GB (SSD)) + 1000GB HDD (ST1000LM035-1RK172)
Ram: 16gb HDDR 4
Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

(sorry I'm not sure what all is useful, let me know if I'm missing anything)

Edit: I'm not sure if this helps but it seems to work fine if I uninstall>restart computer>reinstall. However, once I exit after this it will begin to lag the next time I open the game.

Edit 2: (SOLUTION) When I reinstalled my drivers before I only tried going through the Nvidia software. I tried a different method of manually removing drivers in device manager. After fully reinstalling everything to do with Nvidia it appears to be working. (I had also noticed that Among us was using integrated graphics nearly at max too but all my other games worked just fine, not sure what would cause that tho)

Last edited:
Try to update your Graphics Card's driver, and then set Terraria to use your Graphics Card. If that doesn't work, set the global option to use the Graphics Card, it should fix the problem.

Try to update your Graphics Card's driver, and then set Terraria to use your Graphics Card. If that doesn't work, set the global option to use the Graphics Card, it should fix the problem.
I have already tried both of those things without any luck :/

Back
Top Bottom