Tool TerrariaDepotDownloader - Downgrade To ANY Version!

custom-terraria-logo.png

v1.8.5 for Terraria 1.1.2 1.2X 1.3X 1.4X+
Cd8UpzG.png

depot.PNG

This application allows you to downgrade your game to any of the past game versions where the steam manifest IDs are known.
This application is NOT a pirate tool and requires users to already own the game.

custom-terraria-logo (1).png

Step 1) Make sure you have .NET 6.0 Runtime installed on your computer.

05v2.PNG

Step 2) Click the Settings tab and enter your Steam account name and password. This is used to download the game versions from steam.

01.jpg

Step 3) In the Downloader tab, select the version you want to download and click the download button in the bottom right corner.

02.jpg

Step 4) A command prompt window will appear. If your Steam account has 2-way verification, Enter your Steam Guard authentication code into the command prompt and hit enter.

03.jpg

Step 5) The game version will download to the TerrariaDepots folder. This Can be changed to any desired location in the settings tab!

04.jpg

Step 6) If the game does not start and you receive this error message, backup and paste depot files to your game directory. Then run via steam.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria

ErrorMsg.PNG

(Or check out the Overwrite Steam Directory feature)
Steam allows the downloading of previous game versions through the use of depots. Depots are a collection of files pertaining to a group; for steam, the game Terraria. When a game gets updated, steam archives each patch as something called a manifest ID. Using steam console and the correct manifest ID, you can downgrade/download any game version that you own on your account. Using an open source utility called DepotDownloader, you can download depots with a lot more flexibility.

Included in this application's directory is a file named ManifestVersions.cfg. This file is in charge of all the game versions and their data which is loaded into the program. This can be updated to include future versions or previously unknown earlier versions of the game without the need to download a new tool version.

Note to Terraria's team: I have created this courtesyware in hopes to diminish pirating and bring easability to downgrading. If their is any issues with this tool please do not hessitate to contact me. I've recently made this software completely open source and will comply with any requests.
Bellow are some useful troubleshooting guides. If you find issues with this application please let me know!

Fix #1:
- Ensure both username & password are correct in the settings tab.

USERANDPASS.JPG

Fix #2:
- Try installing .NET 6.0 Runtime -> Run console apps.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure to download the correct x64 / x86 version for your system.

ConsoleApps.JPG
Fix #1:
- Clicking More info -> Run anyway

01.png
02.png

Why this is happening?

Built into Windows 10, is something called Windows Defender SmartScreen. Each time an application is ran Windows 10, SmartScreen will check if it is a “good” application against their catalog of applications. It’s a good security measure and is particular helpful at stopping malware spreading through email attachments – where some users do not understand the difference between a legitimate document and an application. Sometimes SmartScreen will prevent applications you know are not bad – for example, it’s a CMD or VBS script you wrote, or a program from a trusted source.

Explanation Credits: Adrian Gordon
Fix #1:
- Backup or rename existing game saves. C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Terraria

R&B.PNG
R&B2.PNG

Why this is happening?

This issue is typically caused by an existing \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ directory.
Fix #1:
- Enable Overwrite Steam Directory option from within settings tab.

Capture.PNG

Why this is happening?

This issue is caused from one of the hardcoded checks Terraria does to make sure you own the game. You need to have the game inside your steamapps directory to prevent this error.
Fix #1:
- To fix this its super simple. You need to move your Terraria folder (\Documents\My Games\Terraria) to a different location for safe keeping. Then try and reload the game back up. You will have to create a new player and a new world.

Why this is happening?

The older versions can crash and or now show all the UI options when attempting to read newer player and world files.
Fix #1:
- Within your steam client, go to Library > Terraria > Properties > Updates and change Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it and turn Background Downloads to Never allow background downloads.

Fix #2:
- Launching steam in offline mode it will prevent the searching of a new update. You can do this within your steam client by navigating to Steam > Go offline or by closing steam, disconnecting from the internet, and re-launching steam.

Why this is happening?

For some people, steam will try to keep Terraria up to date automatically. This can very on your settings within steam.
Code:
v1.8.5.6
 - Fixed "overwrite steam directory" is now "use steam directory".
 - Fixed issues that existed in the old vs new config by bumping config version.
 - Fixed the "Remove game" buttons for "Use steam directory".

v1.8.5.5
 - Added an "Use Steam Directory" checkbox to fix "Please launch the game from your steam client".
 - Added dark mode theme.
 - Fixed refreshing not disabling the download button.

v1.8.5.4
 - Added the ability to download via GitHub links.
 - Added resilience to non-default install locations.
 - Added an save login option.
 - Fixed intelsense project warning messages.
 - Updated decompiler messages.
 - Fixed some GUI text.

v1.8.5.3
 - Fixed an issue where the launch button was not correctly launching desired versions.

v1.8.5.2
 - Fixed an issue where passwords using special characters would cause terminal crashes.

v1.8.5.1
 - Added missing tooltips to checkbox.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.5
 - Fixed right clicking for tools within listview.
 - Added tooltips (can be disabled via checkbox).
 - Added checkbox to disable DepotDownloader API updates checks.
 - Fixed tab indexes along with some logged items.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.4
 - Fixed versions 1.3.0.1 & 1.4.0.1 not being displayed as downloaded.
 - Removed maximization.

v1.8.3
 - Remove game now terminates only games running within target directory.
 - Remove All will now terminate any running games prior.
 - Fixed File > Download App not being displayed.
 - Fixed File > Remove App not being displayed.
 - .NET Framework check is now done via filesystem over registry.
 - Added .NET version to output log.
 - Exception handling issues fixed.
 - Fixed log spellings.
 - General bugs.

v1.8.2
 - Loading application now checks for DepotDownloader API updates.
 - Overwrite Steam Directory bug not removing previous versions prior to installing a new copy.

v1.6.0 - v1.8.1
 - Updated DepotDownloader API.
 - General bug fixes.

v1.5.0
 - Added a Overwrite Steam Directory option.
 - Fixed some logging typos.

v1.4.0
 - Fixed an issue with properly finding .NET versions.
 - Updated DepotDownloader API.
 - General bug fixes.

v1.2.0 - v1.3.0
 - Initial release.

If you like my work feel free to donate to show your support :)
btn_donate_LG.gif

Attachments

• TerrariaDepotDownloader-1.8.5.3.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,880
Last edited:
Last edited:
I have re-uploaded the file as ManifestVersions.cfg had to be updated. v1.2.3 & v.1.2 had a wrong manifest ID. I also managed to find the manifest ID for v1.1.2 so we now have a 1.1X version!

This might not work for long, though. Steam seems to be shutting down the depot method.

Yup! Better get all those versions archived! Maybe we can work with steam and recover the old manifest ids before they lost in time.

Oh my god, apparently this is so new, even Google doesn't know about this. All thanks to Tunnel King for redirecting me here.

I'm also quite curious about how have you found manifest id for 1.1.2, was it not on the SteamDB?

Oh my god, apparently this is so new, even Google doesn't know about this. All thanks to Tunnel King for redirecting me here.

I'm also quite curious about how have you found manifest id for 1.1.2, was it not on the SteamDB?

All the steam manifests exists for all the versions, It's just that Steam.DB only started recording them since 1.2.0. A friend of mine gave me the manifest ID for 1.1.2. I will update the other versions to this (future or unknown) for as long as steam keeps the depot system.

this is some great stuff! i've always wanted to check out older versions, and playing old-gen console can only get you so far.

although, i can't seem to tell if it's working or not. it says the versions are "installed" but their folders are empty and i can't launch them. a small guide on how to use the software would be helpful to make sure i didn't miss anything in the setup

this is some great stuff! i've always wanted to check out older versions, and playing old-gen console can only get you so far.

although, i can't seem to tell if it's working or not. it says the versions are "installed" but their folders are empty and i can't launch them. a small guide on how to use the software would be helpful to make sure i didn't miss anything in the setup

Hello apple8404! Thanks for the feedback! I will update my guide and add a tab for how to use this tool!

I have re-uploaded the file as ManifestVersions.cfg had to be updated. v1.2.3 & v.1.2 had a wrong manifest ID. I also managed to find the manifest ID for v1.1.2 so we now have a 1.1X version!

Yup! Better get all those versions archived! Maybe we can work with steam and recover the old manifest ids before they lost in time.
Just thought I'd let you know - Steam has confirmed they're not getting rid of the depot according to this edited article. A quote for the lazy:

"We are actually not planning to disable downloading old builds. What we are working on is an approach on handling edge cases involving unowned content, and helping partners more easily take down builds that need to be removed for things like copyright issues," the statement reads. "We’ll have more to share on that work when it’s ready to ship."

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for providing this tool - it's invaluable to the community!

1637912365882.png

for some reason every time i try to launch it i get this. i've restarted, ran the app with administrator permissions and checked my .net core version but i still can't get it to launch

View attachment 348457

for some reason every time i try to launch it i get this. i've restarted, ran the app with administrator permissions and checked my .net core version but i still can't get it to launch
reg-issue.PNG

I just got back and looked into the issues with that tool. The code checking for the .NET versions breaks when other values exist within the sharedhost key. This is caused when users install SDK versions of the .NET to their device. This issue was overlooked when creating a check. I have created a new update and pushed it to the thread. So simply redownload the tool and it should work. I also added Terraria versions 1.4.3.1 & 1.4.3.2 to the .cfg file.

i don't know whats wrong but it doesnt download for me. It says it started downloading, but even after 2h nothing downloaded to the folder

i don't know whats wrong but it doesnt download for me. It says it started downloading, but even after 2h nothing downloaded to the folder
I have just tested the application and all is working fine. Be sure to have inputted the correct steam cadentials in the settings tab and have inputted the correct AUTH key within the console.

Running the version in the post attachment, the prompt to enter 2FA quits out a microsecond after it appears, meaning downloading old depots is functionally impossible.

If you wish to install old tModLoader versions with TerrariaDepotDownloader, there is a way. Go to tModLoader's GitHub page and go to tags. If you can't find it, here's a link to it: tModLoader Downloads

Also, it is recommended that you backup anything that you have made.
It will NOT work if you pick the wrong version of tModLoader and Terraria (you have to check the version of Terraria that is compatible).
An example of two correct versions are tModLoader v0.10.1.5 and Terraria v1.3.5.2, those are my two versions I picked at least.
When you downloaded the one you wanted, extract the current tModLoader version's ZIP file.
Once it's extracted, put it in the Terraria depot folder (again, must be compatible).
Yes, replace any file if it asks to replace any files with the same names (including Terraria.exe).
Check if your tModLoader version works with the current version you are using in Terraria by opening and running it (open the new Terraria.exe when replaced).
If it works, you're all set! But you need to download some mods which aren't in the mod browser in this version anymore.
If you wanted Calamity Mod's old version, you need to go to its GitHub page where it has downloads.
Not all mods have a GitHub page, however, try joining the mod's Discord server and see if there is a channel where it has older versions of downloads.
Backup your current mods from the Steam tModLoader, please, it won't work if your mods are on the latest versions.
Some mods, however, were no longer be updated and it might have the chance to be on the mod browser of the tModLoader version you're currently on.

That's all! Let me know if you have any suggestions or help, I'll be gladly able to respond.

Last edited:
This, dude... This makes me think of how latest minecraft versions allows you to download and install older versions on the pc.
I wonder if the same could be done to Terraria. Oh damn, I'm dreaming too high again.

Back
Top Bottom