Tool TerrariaDepotDownloader - Downgrade To ANY Version!

I came across a problem that took me ages to figure out. leaving it here in case anyone has the same issue. When trying to use this tool, a cmd prompt opened before immediately closing. I checked the troubleshooting dropdown but nothing there seemed to fix anything. I found out later that it didn't work because my password had special characters. Steam depotdownloader cannot handle these without escaping them. Here's more explanation for anyone who wants to fix this: github discussion thread

I came across a problem that took me ages to figure out. leaving it here in case anyone has the same issue. When trying to use this tool, a cmd prompt opened before immediately closing. I checked the troubleshooting dropdown but nothing there seemed to fix anything. I found out later that it didn't work because my password had special characters. Steam depotdownloader cannot handle these without escaping them. Here's more explanation for anyone who wants to fix this: github discussion thread
This would probably explain my issue, as I have special characters in my password. Is there any update on this being fixed now or in progress?

This would probably explain my issue, as I have special characters in my password. Is there any update on this being fixed now or in progress?
To get it working for the moment you can escape the special characters in your password by putting a caret (^) before each special character. (see the table in the GitHub link from my previous post) So the password you input into password field should include carets, and then it should work for the moment.

Thank you for finding this! This issue is one that I personally would have never found unless brought to my attention. I will make an update to the tool and release it.

I will post an update here when I get it released.

UPDATE 28OCT22:

Fixed an issue where passwords using special characters would cause terminal crashes.
- See backend changes here.

If this issue still somehow presets, please let me know!​

I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find it.
Is there a way to maintain two installs? One of an older version, so I can play with my kids on their tablets, and one with the latest version for my current worlds/single player PC play?

I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find it.
Is there a way to maintain two installs? One of an older version, so I can play with my kids on their tablets, and one with the latest version for my current worlds/single player PC play?

Thanks for asking the question! And yes, by default, TerrariaDepotDownloader saves all downloaded versions to their own folders outside of your steam directory. You can configure the location it saves these versions too as well in the settings tab. Additionally, in settings, you can tell the program to overwrite your steam directory game via a checkbox.

Bellow I'm sharing the folder structure of the defualt save location ApplicationLocation\TerrariaDepotDownloader\TerrariaDepots.
1667163481307.png

hello i have a problem currently i have done everything correctly and have gotten to the point where i got the older version but steam wants me to update it and it will not let me play the game before updating it to newest version

hello i have a problem currently i have done everything correctly and have gotten to the point where i got the older version but steam wants me to update it and it will not let me play the game before updating it to newest version

Hello! Thanks for asking the question. Someone else claimed they had the same issue and by playing steam in offline mode it will prevent the searching of a new update. Alternatively you can goto Library > Terraria > Properties > Updates and change Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it and turn Background Downloads to Never allow background downloads. I will update the troubleshooting, please let me know if either of these helped you.

Hello, I was wondering if I'm still able to play the current version without messing anything up? I play on PC and used this to downgrade to the older mobile version so I could play with my boyfriend, and it worked fine. But now I want to play my own world on the current version, and when I try to open the game from steam I get this message: "Terraria was unable to sync your saves with the Steam Cloud, if you play now you may not have previous game progress and you may lose it." I see a couple replies up that DepotDownloader saves the older version in a separate folder, does this mean I can ignore the message from steam and play the current version anyway?

Hello, I was wondering if I'm still able to play the current version without messing anything up? I play on PC and used this to downgrade to the older mobile version so I could play with my boyfriend, and it worked fine. But now I want to play my own world on the current version, and when I try to open the game from steam I get this message: "Terraria was unable to sync your saves with the Steam Cloud, if you play now you may not have previous game progress and you may lose it." I see a couple replies up that DepotDownloader saves the older version in a separate folder, does this mean I can ignore the message from steam and play the current version anyway?

Hello, sounds like this message is about the Terraria cloud save sync. Terraria saves it's player / world data to a folder at C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Terraria\. When using the cloud in-game, steam will save these files on the server. I suggest when playing between versions you remove the world from the cloud and make a manual backup of all your players and worlds. While TerrariaDepotDownloader can save the different game versions to different directories, it cannot change where the game saves it's data.

Hello, sounds like this message is about the Terraria cloud save sync. Terraria saves it's player / world data to a folder at C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Terraria\. When using the cloud in-game, steam will save these files on the server. I suggest when playing between versions you remove the world from the cloud and make a manual backup of all your players and worlds. While TerrariaDepotDownloader can save the different game versions to different directories, it cannot change where the game saves it's data.
Thank you so much for your help! I turned off Steam cloud saving and it works now!

UPDATE 17NOV22:

Added the 1.4.4.9 manifest ID for the ManifestVersions.cfg.

Edit: New 1.4.4.9 patch released an hour later. archive updated.

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm trying to use this tool to downgrade to 1.4.4.5 to play with my friend on mobile, but when I launch 1.4.4.5, it sends me to the latest update, 1.4.4.9. Do you know what's wrong? Thanks.

Edit: I got normal DepotDownloader to work but maybe fix it (If it's a bug and I'm not just dumb).

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm trying to use this tool to downgrade to 1.4.4.5 to play with my friend on mobile, but when I launch 1.4.4.5, it sends me to the latest update, 1.4.4.9. Do you know what's wrong? Thanks.

Edit: I got normal DepotDownloader to work but maybe fix it (If it's a bug and I'm not just dumb).

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue. When the Overwrite Steam Directory feature is disabled, the launch button is supposed to launch the desired version but is rather launching the steam directory. I forgot to add a WorkingDirectory suffix to the launch process. I will be releasing a new version soon that fixes this. :dryadpassionate:

Back
Top Bottom