Tool TerrariaDepotDownloader - Downgrade To ANY Version!

Hi CrypticNight.
I keep coming back every now and then to check for updates regarding the earliest patches of Terraria. I know it may very well never happen, but my patience is strong.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the work you have put into this tool - thank you for this! Fun to see how Terraria once was and how it has changed over the years!
~ kjuur

Hi CrypticNight.
I keep coming back every now and then to check for updates regarding the earliest patches of Terraria. I know it may very well never happen, but my patience is strong.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the work you have put into this tool - thank you for this! Fun to see how Terraria once was and how it has changed over the years!
~ kjuur

Means so much! Thank you for supporting this project with me and many others along the way :dryadpassionate:

hi! i did everything like you said but the command prompt just opens up briefly before closing. my latest net version is 6.0.11 and i used the correct steam username and password. i have no idea what i should do to fix this issue...
i used a different steam depot method which worked... i guess its because of steam guard. unfortunately is it impossible for me to type in my authentication code bc the command prompt closes immediately

Last edited:
hi! i did everything like you said but the command prompt just opens up briefly before closing. my latest net version is 6.0.11 and i used the correct steam username and password. i have no idea what i should do to fix this issue...
i used a different steam depot method which worked... i guess its because of steam guard. unfortunately is it impossible for me to type in my authentication code bc the command prompt closes immediately

Please check the troubleshooting section on the first page. It should solve your issue. If you have tried them all I will be willing to further assist you.

I got the latest version, this time taking all the precautions, and now I'm getting this error message whenever I try and start the game.

Attachments

• error.PNG
    error.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 60
I got the latest version, this time taking all the precautions, and now I'm getting this error message whenever I try and start the game.

Are you sure the console has finished downloading the game before attempting to launch it? What game version are you attempting to download, seems this is an terraria exception telling you its having an issue loading an asset.

Are you sure the console has finished downloading the game before attempting to launch it? What game version are you attempting to download, seems this is an terraria exception telling you its having an issue loading an asset.
I'm attempting to download 1.1.2 again, what appears to be the oldest version possible.

I have the same problem: the prompt opens for about a second, only to close instantly. The credentials are not the issue as I have tried on two separate accounts, and I downloaded and installed both .net runtime files (even though they are the same for some reason?)

I have the same problem: the prompt opens for about a second, only to close instantly. The credentials are not the issue as I have tried on two separate accounts, and I downloaded and installed both .net runtime files (even though they are the same for some reason?)

I would make sure you're able to sign into steam using a web browser. Most common mistake is people mistake the username for there actual username and not there account name.
If this fails, make sure to check out all the troubleshooting. If nothing else works I will be willing to further assist you.

I was already using the proper username, but the second fix you suggest tells you to download a file that I already have.

I was already using the proper username, but the second fix you suggest tells you to download a file that I already have.

The Run console apps download is different then the basic runtime. I just want to make sure we go through all possible solutions before we try other stuff. If this does not resolve the issue, if you could please add my discord (D.RUSS#2430) I would be happy to try and figure this out.

Thinking of trying this soon but I’m a bit concerned about the 1.4.4 worlds and characters I have. To clarify I won’t be using them in game, but I am wondering what to do with their files. Should I completely move their files out of the game when downgrading?

Thinking of trying this soon but I’m a bit concerned about the 1.4.4 worlds and characters I have. To clarify I won’t be using them in game, but I am wondering what to do with their files. Should I completely move their files out of the game when downgrading?

I would suggest you move your entire \My Games\Terraria out of the \Documents\ completely or rename it to TerrariaBak or something. In most of the super early versions of the game, it will crash when attempting to read future content. Outside of this, you shouldn't have to worry about data corruption as it will only try to read it, fail, and not write.

View attachment 342088

v1.8.5 for Terraria 1.1.2 1.2X 1.3X 1.4X+
View attachment 342089

View attachment 342090
This application allows you to downgrade your game to any of the past game versions where the steam manifest IDs are known.
This application is NOT a pirate tool and requires users to already own the game.

View attachment 342851

Step 1) Make sure you have .NET 6.0 Runtime installed on your computer.

View attachment 369382

Step 2) Click the Settings tab and enter your Steam account name and password. This is used to download the game versions from steam.

View attachment 342852

Step 3) In the Downloader tab, select the version you want to download and click the download button in the bottom right corner.

View attachment 342853

Step 4) A command prompt window will appear. If your Steam account has 2-way verification, Enter your Steam Guard authentication code into the command prompt and hit enter.

View attachment 342855

Step 5) The game version will download to the TerrariaDepots folder. This Can be changed to any desired location in the settings tab!

View attachment 342856

Step 6) If the game does not start and you receive this error message, backup and paste depot files to your game directory. Then run via steam.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria

View attachment 348060
(Or check out the Overwrite Steam Directory feature)
Steam allows the downloading of previous game versions through the use of depots. Depots are a collection of files pertaining to a group; for steam, the game Terraria. When a game gets updated, steam archives each patch as something called a manifest ID. Using steam console and the correct manifest ID, you can downgrade/download any game version that you own on your account. Using an open source utility called DepotDownloader, you can download depots with a lot more flexibility.

Included in this application's directory is a file named ManifestVersions.cfg. This file is in charge of all the game versions and their data which is loaded into the program. This can be updated to include future versions or previously unknown earlier versions of the game without the need to download a new tool version.

Note to Terraria's team: I have created this courtesyware in hopes to diminish pirating and bring easability to downgrading. If their is any issues with this tool please do not hessitate to contact me. I've recently made this software completely open source and will comply with any requests.
Bellow are some useful troubleshooting guides. If you find issues with this application please let me know!

Fix #1:
- Ensure both username & password are correct in the settings tab.

View attachment 376733

Fix #2:
- Try installing .NET 6.0 Runtime -> Run console apps.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure to download the correct x64 / x86 version for your system.

View attachment 376732
Fix #1:
- Clicking More info -> Run anyway

View attachment 376736 View attachment 376737

Why this is happening?

Built into Windows 10, is something called Windows Defender SmartScreen. Each time an application is ran Windows 10, SmartScreen will check if it is a “good” application against their catalog of applications. It’s a good security measure and is particular helpful at stopping malware spreading through email attachments – where some users do not understand the difference between a legitimate document and an application. Sometimes SmartScreen will prevent applications you know are not bad – for example, it’s a CMD or VBS script you wrote, or a program from a trusted source.

Explanation Credits: Adrian Gordon
Fix #1:
- Backup or rename existing game saves. C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Terraria

View attachment 377379 View attachment 377381

Why this is happening?

This issue is typically caused by an existing \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ directory.
Fix #1:
- Enable Overwrite Steam Directory option from within settings tab.

View attachment 386307

Why this is happening?

This issue is caused from one of the hardcoded checks Terraria does to make sure you own the game. You need to have the game inside your steamapps directory to prevent this error.
Fix #1:
- To fix this its super simple. You need to move your Terraria folder (\Documents\My Games\Terraria) to a different location for safe keeping. Then try and reload the game back up. You will have to create a new player and a new world.

Why this is happening?

The older versions can crash and or now show all the UI options when attempting to read newer player and world files.
Fix #1:
- Within your steam client, go to Library > Terraria > Properties > Updates and change Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it and turn Background Downloads to Never allow background downloads.

Fix #2:
- Launching steam in offline mode it will prevent the searching of a new update. You can do this within your steam client by navigating to Steam > Go offline or by closing steam, disconnecting from the internet, and re-launching steam.

Why this is happening?

For some people, steam will try to keep Terraria up to date automatically. This can very on your settings within steam.
Code:
v1.8.5.3
 - Fixed an issue where the launch button was not correctly launching desired versions.

v1.8.5.2
 - Fixed an issue where passwords using special characters would cause terminal crashes.

v1.8.5.1
 - Added missing tooltips to checkbox.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.5
 - Fixed right clicking for tools within listview.
 - Added tooltips (can be disabled via checkbox).
 - Added checkbox to disable DepotDownloader API updates checks.
 - Fixed tab indexes along with some logged items.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.4
 - Fixed versions 1.3.0.1 & 1.4.0.1 not being displayed as downloaded.
 - Removed maximization.

v1.8.3
 - Remove game now terminates only games running within target directory.
 - Remove All will now terminate any running games prior.
 - Fixed File > Download App not being displayed.
 - Fixed File > Remove App not being displayed.
 - .NET Framework check is now done via filesystem over registry.
 - Added .NET version to output log.
 - Exception handling issues fixed.
 - Fixed log spellings.
 - General bugs.

v1.8.2
 - Loading application now checks for DepotDownloader API updates.
 - Overwrite Steam Directory bug not removing previous versions prior to installing a new copy.

v1.6.0 - v1.8.1
 - Updated DepotDownloader API.
 - General bug fixes.

v1.5.0
 - Added a Overwrite Steam Directory option.
 - Fixed some logging typos.

v1.4.0
 - Fixed an issue with properly finding .NET versions.
 - General bug fixes.

v1.2.0 - v1.3.0
 - Initial release.

If you like my work feel free to donate to show your support :)
View attachment 342094
View attachment 342088

v1.8.5 for Terraria 1.1.2 1.2X 1.3X 1.4X+
View attachment 342089

View attachment 342090
This application allows you to downgrade your game to any of the past game versions where the steam manifest IDs are known.
This application is NOT a pirate tool and requires users to already own the game.

View attachment 342851

Step 1) Make sure you have .NET 6.0 Runtime installed on your computer.

View attachment 369382

Step 2) Click the Settings tab and enter your Steam account name and password. This is used to download the game versions from steam.

View attachment 342852

Step 3) In the Downloader tab, select the version you want to download and click the download button in the bottom right corner.

View attachment 342853

Step 4) A command prompt window will appear. If your Steam account has 2-way verification, Enter your Steam Guard authentication code into the command prompt and hit enter.

View attachment 342855

Step 5) The game version will download to the TerrariaDepots folder. This Can be changed to any desired location in the settings tab!

View attachment 342856

Step 6) If the game does not start and you receive this error message, backup and paste depot files to your game directory. Then run via steam.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria

View attachment 348060
(Or check out the Overwrite Steam Directory feature)
Steam allows the downloading of previous game versions through the use of depots. Depots are a collection of files pertaining to a group; for steam, the game Terraria. When a game gets updated, steam archives each patch as something called a manifest ID. Using steam console and the correct manifest ID, you can downgrade/download any game version that you own on your account. Using an open source utility called DepotDownloader, you can download depots with a lot more flexibility.

Included in this application's directory is a file named ManifestVersions.cfg. This file is in charge of all the game versions and their data which is loaded into the program. This can be updated to include future versions or previously unknown earlier versions of the game without the need to download a new tool version.

Note to Terraria's team: I have created this courtesyware in hopes to diminish pirating and bring easability to downgrading. If their is any issues with this tool please do not hessitate to contact me. I've recently made this software completely open source and will comply with any requests.
Bellow are some useful troubleshooting guides. If you find issues with this application please let me know!

Fix #1:
- Ensure both username & password are correct in the settings tab.

View attachment 376733

Fix #2:
- Try installing .NET 6.0 Runtime -> Run console apps.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure to download the correct x64 / x86 version for your system.

View attachment 376732
Fix #1:
- Clicking More info -> Run anyway

View attachment 376736 View attachment 376737

Why this is happening?

Built into Windows 10, is something called Windows Defender SmartScreen. Each time an application is ran Windows 10, SmartScreen will check if it is a “good” application against their catalog of applications. It’s a good security measure and is particular helpful at stopping malware spreading through email attachments – where some users do not understand the difference between a legitimate document and an application. Sometimes SmartScreen will prevent applications you know are not bad – for example, it’s a CMD or VBS script you wrote, or a program from a trusted source.

Explanation Credits: Adrian Gordon
Fix #1:
- Backup or rename existing game saves. C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Terraria

View attachment 377379 View attachment 377381

Why this is happening?

This issue is typically caused by an existing \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ directory.
Fix #1:
- Enable Overwrite Steam Directory option from within settings tab.

View attachment 386307

Why this is happening?

This issue is caused from one of the hardcoded checks Terraria does to make sure you own the game. You need to have the game inside your steamapps directory to prevent this error.
Fix #1:
- To fix this its super simple. You need to move your Terraria folder (\Documents\My Games\Terraria) to a different location for safe keeping. Then try and reload the game back up. You will have to create a new player and a new world.

Why this is happening?

The older versions can crash and or now show all the UI options when attempting to read newer player and world files.
Fix #1:
- Within your steam client, go to Library > Terraria > Properties > Updates and change Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it and turn Background Downloads to Never allow background downloads.

Fix #2:
- Launching steam in offline mode it will prevent the searching of a new update. You can do this within your steam client by navigating to Steam > Go offline or by closing steam, disconnecting from the internet, and re-launching steam.

Why this is happening?

For some people, steam will try to keep Terraria up to date automatically. This can very on your settings within steam.
Code:
v1.8.5.3
 - Fixed an issue where the launch button was not correctly launching desired versions.

v1.8.5.2
 - Fixed an issue where passwords using special characters would cause terminal crashes.

v1.8.5.1
 - Added missing tooltips to checkbox.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.5
 - Fixed right clicking for tools within listview.
 - Added tooltips (can be disabled via checkbox).
 - Added checkbox to disable DepotDownloader API updates checks.
 - Fixed tab indexes along with some logged items.
 - Bug fixes.

v1.8.4
 - Fixed versions 1.3.0.1 & 1.4.0.1 not being displayed as downloaded.
 - Removed maximization.

v1.8.3
 - Remove game now terminates only games running within target directory.
 - Remove All will now terminate any running games prior.
 - Fixed File > Download App not being displayed.
 - Fixed File > Remove App not being displayed.
 - .NET Framework check is now done via filesystem over registry.
 - Added .NET version to output log.
 - Exception handling issues fixed.
 - Fixed log spellings.
 - General bugs.

v1.8.2
 - Loading application now checks for DepotDownloader API updates.
 - Overwrite Steam Directory bug not removing previous versions prior to installing a new copy.

v1.6.0 - v1.8.1
 - General bug fixes.

v1.5.0
 - Added a Overwrite Steam Directory option.
 - Fixed some logging typos.

v1.4.0
 - Fixed an issue with properly finding .NET versions.
 - General bug fixes.

v1.2.0 - v1.3.0
 - Initial release.

If you like my work feel free to donate to show your support :)
View attachment 342094
I tried using the troubleshoot for the console immediately closing, but it didn't help. Everything i did was correct but i'm not sure what to do

Back
Top Bottom